View Full Version : Lindsay to play in Memphis

LADL
Nov 14th, 2007, 07:55 AM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/nov/14/tennis-stars-set-for-csc/

Tennis' stars set for CSC

Davenport joins Venus in Memphis WTA event

By Phil Stukenborg

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A Lindsay Davenport-Venus Williams final?

For the Cellular South Cup, the annual Women's Tennis Association stop held each February at The Racquet Club of Memphis, it's more than a dream pairing.

Tournament owner Mac Winker announced Tuesday Davenport has agreed to play in the lower-level WTA event, giving the field two former top-ranked players in the world who share 20 Grand Slam singles and doubles titles.

"I was talking with Tony Godsick, Tommy Haas's agent," Winker said. "I told him about us having Venus and Lindsay and he said 'Just imagine a Venus-Lindsay final, you're going to be better than all the Slams.'"

The Cellular South Cup and the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships, the long-running men's indoor pro event held concurrently at The Racquet Club, will run Feb. 22 to March 2.

Winker said Davenport, 31, is scheduled to play her first match on Monday, Feb. 25. Williams, who won last year's CSC, likely will play her opening match the following night.

Davenport, the year-end No. 1 women's player in 1998, 2001, 2004 and 2005, missed the latter stages of the WTA Tour in 2006 because of a back injury and the birth of her first child. In July 2007, she announced she would return to the Tour.

Her comeback has included singles titles in Bali and Quebec City. She also reached the semifinals in Beijing. The Quebec City win, her 53rd career singles title, lifted her to No. 73 in the world rankings.

Winker said the addition of Davenport to the tournament week shows the value of a combined men's/women's event.

"You can pick off stars on either side," he said. "And every now and then you get super lucky like we have with Venus and Lindsay. We are very fortunate."

Winker said he didn't approach Davenport about playing in Memphis. He said he was contacted by Davenport's agent Friday.

"They called us," Winker said. "They asked if we would have any interest. It all happened in the last four or five days. We closed the deal two days ago."

Winker said the Memphis event could find itself in an enviable position for the next several years as players -- some returning from injury or making a comeback -- look at a tournament in the U.S. to play before upper-level tour events in Key Biscayne, Fla., and Indian Wells, Calif.

"Lindsay won a juniors event here before and we've definitely had her on our radar screen," Winker said. "But to have both Venus and Lindsay ... this is dreamworks for us."

Ikari
Nov 14th, 2007, 09:05 AM
"Winker said the Memphis event could find itself in an enviable position for the next several years as players -- some returning from injury or making a comeback -- look at a tournament in the U.S. to play before upper-level tour events in Key Biscayne, Fla., and Indian Wells, Calif."

LOL. I always thought that the event was somewhere in the Middle East. Good to see Lindsay planning so far ahead though!:bounce:

Elldee
Nov 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I predict Lindsay's schedule to beeeeeeee:

Auckland

Australian Open

Fed Cup

Memphis

Indian Wells

Amelia Island

Charleston

Fed Cup

Wimbledon

Stanford

LA

Olympics

US Open

Fed Cup

RETIREMENT

MH0861
Nov 14th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I think she will go to RG for fun like in 05, especially if she does green clay in 08. :D

LindsayRulz
Nov 14th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Memphis is a tier IV or tier III?

For fun? She was #1 in 2005, she had to play RG even if she had no chance to win :lol:

pilou
Nov 14th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I think she will go to RG for fun like in 05, especially if she does green clay in 08. :D

For her french fan too

Elldee
Nov 14th, 2007, 07:20 PM
If Lindsay played the French I'd be there, final exams or no. It's so much more accessible than Wimbledon.

hurricanejeanne
Nov 14th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Memphis is a tier IV or tier III?

For fun? She was #1 in 2005, she had to play RG even if she had no chance to win :lol:

Memphis is a tier 3.

I think the bigger question is whether or not Lindsay shows up in Miami (which is manditory).
I would like her to play Amelia Island in the spring though, even though it's clay, she's always been successful at that tournament and it usually has a relatively weak field anyhow.

The Daviator
Nov 14th, 2007, 10:29 PM

Auckland

Australian Open

Fed Cup

Memphis

Indian Wells

Amelia Island

Charleston

Fed Cup

Wimbledon

Stanford

LA

Olympics

US Open

Fed Cup

RETIREMENT

I don't think she's coming back for just one season, may be wrong, since she is taking it a step at a time, but she's worked so hard it would be weird to leave again this time next year, I think she'll stop in 2009 :p

As for her schedule, I'd don't see how she'll manage IW-Miami-AI-Charleston-FC back-to-back, I think she'll skip Charleston and will tank Miami :lol:

And I think she'll play RG too :devil:

MH0861
Nov 14th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I don't think she's coming back for just one season, may be wrong, since she is taking it a step at a time, but she's worked so hard it would be weird to leave again this time next year, I think she'll stop in 2009 :p

As for her schedule, I'd don't see how she'll manage IW-Miami-AI-Charleston-FC back-to-back, I think she'll skip Charleston and will tank Miami :lol:

And I think she'll play RG too :devil:

I know, I agree... I think her hunger and desire is fiercer than just a 1 year stint, unless she gets a slam in 08 I think she'll stick through 09 as well.

Skip Miami & Charleston -- they are like Lindsay Injury Trap Tournaments.

RJWCapriati
Nov 14th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Its so smart that Lindsay is playing these Tier IIIs ..........I just might have to go to Memphis now to watch the tournament, I'm on the complete other side of the state!

RJWCapriati
Nov 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM

Auckland

Australian Open

Fed Cup

Memphis

Indian Wells

Amelia Island

Charleston

Fed Cup

Wimbledon

Stanford

LA

Olympics

US Open

Fed Cup

RETIREMENT

That sounds about right....no red clay for Lindsay....but can we take off retirement :p

Lindsayfan32
Nov 15th, 2007, 02:08 AM

Auckland

Australian Open

Fed Cup

Memphis

Indian Wells

Amelia Island

Charleston

Fed Cup

Wimbledon

Stanford

LA

Olympics

US Open

Fed Cup

RETIREMENT

Great schedule Grand Slam but can we take off the clay events and retirement. I'm just starting to get use to the idea she's playing again she can't retire at the end of the year. I wouldn't think Lindsay would come back for just one season and then retire but who knows we all thought she was done with playing when she announced she was pregant with Jagger so who know. Let's just enjoy Lindsay's second career while lasts.

Dave.
Nov 17th, 2007, 01:04 AM
It's good that Lindsay has signed up for another tournament (and will hopefully add to her 1997 title!) but I am a bit worried now that this is the 2nd lower tier event she has entered and she hasen't entered a tier 2 yet for next year. I know she's only playing part time but I would love her to be back in the top 20 and I think she could definetely win tier 2's right now. I know it's not going to happen but it would be great if she played Pan Pacific again.

and I hope Lindsay takes NO NOTICE WHATSOEVER of these stupid mandatory rules for Miami. I would much rather her play Indian Wells and the 2 green clay events, instead of tanking at Miami.

LindsayRulz
Nov 17th, 2007, 02:47 AM
It's good that Lindsay has signed up for another tournament (and will hopefully add to her 1997 title!) but I am a bit worried now that this is the 2nd lower tier event she has entered and she hasen't entered a tier 2 yet for next year. I know she's only playing part time but I would love her to be back in the top 20 and I think she could definetely win tier 2's right now. I know it's not going to happen but it would be great if she played Pan Pacific again.

and I hope Lindsay takes NO NOTICE WHATSOEVER of these stupid mandatory rules for Miami. I would much rather her play Indian Wells and the 2 green clay events, instead of tanking at Miami.

Correct me if I'm wrong but on the WTA official rules, it says that with her Gold Exempt Emeritus Status, Lindsay has an exemption from the minimum commitment requirements of the tour. Therefore, she would not be obligated to play the mandatory events.

Dave.
Nov 17th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but on the WTA official rules, it says that with her Gold Exempt Emeritus Status, Lindsay has an exemption from the minimum commitment requirements of the tour. Therefore, she would not be obligated to play the mandatory events.

Oh really? That would be good. I never understand those rules so I wouldn't know.

hurricanejeanne
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:00 PM

I hope she can ditch Miami, especially because she's not fond of it. And it would be asking a lot of her to play Memphis + Indian Wells + Miami + Amelia Island (if she does indeed play the clay).

But thank god she finally got the GEE status. Only took a back injury and having a baby to get it though.

LindsayRulz
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I hope she can ditch Miami, especially because she's not fond of it. And it would be asking a lot of her to play Memphis + Indian Wells + Miami + Amelia Island (if she does indeed play the clay).

But thank god she finally got the GEE status. Only took a back injury and having a baby to get it though.

But Lindsay wants to play new events in USA and she hasn't played Miami since 03 :p . If Lindsay has entered in Memphis, it's probably because she plans to skip Miami. I would prefer to see her playing Memphis, IW, AI and Charleston (and having a week off before IW and two weeks off before AI) than something like Memphis, IW, Miami and AI (because we all know that Lindsay'll play AI) which would mean playing 5 weeks in a row. Finally it was a smart choice to enter Memphis. :)

Nov 18th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I hope Lindsay can enjoy whatever tournaments she decides to play in

RJWCapriati
Nov 22nd, 2007, 03:29 AM
Peer entered also today, Lindsay would kill her though on the fast indoor surface just like Venus did this year in the final :)

Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:53 PM
Do you guys think Lindsay will be seeded for this tournament coupled with your expectations for next year in Australia ?

The Daviator
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:03 PM
Do you guys think Lindsay will be seeded for this tournament coupled with your expectations for next year in Australia ?

Edit - I thought you were talking about Auckland :lol:

She might be seeded, depends on how she does in Australia, I expect her to win Auckland, and I really cannot make a prediction about Melbourne since she could draw Henin or Poutchkova in the first round.

MH0861
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:18 PM
A QF would be a resounding success at this point at the AO - I hope the draw is cooperative.

I'd love to see her win IW. :awww: It would mean so much to her!

And I hope Linds skips Charlie in 08 - it seems like every year she plays she gets hurt or has some dodgy loss!

hurricanejeanne
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:21 PM
Peer entered also today, Lindsay would kill her though on the fast indoor surface just like Venus did this year in the final :)

It'll be interesting to see how Lindsay would play Shahar, seeing as Adam briefly coached Shahar in 2006.

Do you guys think Lindsay will be seeded for this tournament coupled with your expectations for next year in Australia

She could be, but like Daviator said, it will depend on how Linds does in Melbourne. But it also depends on who else enters Memphis that's ranked a head of her.

The Daviator
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
A QF would be a resounding success at this point at the AO - I hope the draw is cooperative.

And I hope Linds skips Charlie in 08 - it seems like every year she plays she gets hurt or has some dodgy loss!

We all love IW :hearts:

We know V&S won't be there, hopefully Justine stays away too :angel: And then she just needs to take care of Sharpie :devil:

That's another thing she needs to do on this comeback btw, even up that H2H a bit :o

LindsayRulz
Nov 23rd, 2007, 01:49 AM

Everybody would love to see Lindsay win IW next year :hearts: I think Indian Wells will by a mandatory event in the 2009 caladar, players will probably skip it this year since they won't be able to do so next year.