PDA

View Full Version : A note about the YEC values

DoctorG
Nov 12th, 2007, 08:22 AM
The Round Robin format has always needed some adjustments, but this year I had to take a decision about Serena, as she did play, so in Tennis Poker terms she must get a value, but was removed from the final standings.

Considering the other 8 as quarterfinalists, Serena will get the usual value for a 5th seed retiring or losing in the last 16 round, which would be 4.

Keeping the other usual YEC rules:

A: Henin
K: Sharapova
Q: Ivanovic (semis losing to eventual winner)
J: Chakvetadze (semis losing to eventual runner-up)
10: Bartoli (3rd place in the eventual winner group)
9: Hantuchova (3rd place in the other group)
8: Jankovic (4th place in the eventual winner group)
7: Kuznetsova (4th place in the the other group)
4: S.Williams

I do think this is the best solution and I'm taking this decision way before starting the 8th leg work so that nobody will take advantage. ;)

Yasmine
Nov 12th, 2007, 09:45 AM
thanks! :yeah: :kiss:

DoctorG
Nov 7th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Bump! :bounce:

The same rule will be applied this year to Ana: the 4th seed would get a 5 retiring in the last 16 round.

DoctorG
Nov 7th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Things are actually getting even worse with Serena withdrawing after having won a match. :speakles:

So, we need to consider the final standings of the maroon group to see who's getting the 5th place = last 16 placement.

Kuilli
Nov 7th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Well, Ana withdrew also, but see didn't win any matches. ;)

DoctorG
Nov 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I see Ivanovic as a first round loser in a field of 16, while I see Serena as a quarterfinalist because she retired after a win. In the maroon group there will be at least one player without a win behind her, deserving a lower value.

I'm open to any suggestion.

Kuilli
Nov 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM
That sounds good to me. What would Petrova and Radwanska get if they win their matches? Would you consider them as quarterfinalists also since neither can move on to semis?

DoctorG
Nov 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I will give out values strictly according to the group final standings: by wins, then by sets won/lost.
Radwanska: if she wins, she will be 3rd in the group and she will score 9 or 10.
If she loses, she should be still ahead of Ivanovic in terms of set won/lost, 4th in the group, scoring 7 or 8.
It should be the same for Petrova: 3rd with a win, 4th and still ahead of Safina with a loss.

DoctorG
Nov 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM
BTW, both Radwanska and Petrova already have better values from previous events, so as a matter of fact it doesn't change anything. :lol:

Kuilli
Nov 8th, 2008, 04:40 AM
BTW, both Radwanska and Petrova already have better values from previous events, so as a matter of fact it doesn't change anything. :lol:
:lol: True. I don't remember about Radwanska, but didn't Petrova win last week? So yeah, it really doesn't matter what values they got this week. ;)

DoctorG
Nov 8th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I haven't checked all the tournaments scores yet but I did check who played and who didn't for the spare cards and I remember Radwanska was in the semis somewhere in the past few weeks.

Anyway, Round Robin is over.

White Group:
1 win for Radwanska, 3rd place
0 wins for Kuznetsova and Ivanovic, no direct encounter:
1 set won by Ivanovic, 4th place
0 sets won by Kuznetsova, 5th place

Maroon group
1 win by Serena, 3rd place
0 wins by Safina and Petrova, no direct encounter:
1 set won by Petrova, 4th place
0 sets won by Safina, 5th place

Scores (higher value to the player in the eventual winner group)
Quarterfinalists:
3rd place: 10 and 9
4th place: 8 and 7
Last 16 round losers:
5th place: 6 for the 2nd seed, 4 for the 6th seed.

This is more to set up a rule for the future as the players involved had already scored something better.

DoctorG
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Bumping this thread as the YEC is once again a total mess. :lol:

DoctorG
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Kuznetsova and Dementieva had 1 win each, Svetlana won the direct encounter so she gets the 3rd place over Elena.

Radwanska and Azarenka had 1 win each, Agnieszka won the direct encounter so she gets the 3rd place over Victoria.

Safina and Zvonareva had no wins, so they are last 16 round losers and they get their value according to the seed in their draw section: #1 Dinara gets a 6, while Vera lost to #4 Wozniacki and gets a 5.

Quarterfinalists:
A.Radwanska, Kuznetsova: 10 or 9
Azarenka, Dementieva: 8 or 7
(Higher value for the players in the RR group with the eventual winner)

Last 16 round losers:
Safina: 6
Zvonareva: 5