PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams to start 2008 with a bang in Perth at Hopman Cup,schedule in here!

santhuruu
Nov 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Serena Williams will play the Hopman Cup leading up to the Australian Open!
She teames up with Mardy Fish and this is the poule they landed in!

Team USA: Serena Williams + Mardy Fish
Team India: Sania Mirza + Rohan Bopanna
Team Czech Republic: Lucie Safarova + Tomas Berdych
Team Australia: Alicia Molik + Peter Luczak

Saturday 29 December 2007 : Team USA vs. Team India
Monday 31 December 2007: Team USA vs. Team Czech Republic
Thursday 3 January 2008: Team USA vs. Team Australia

COME ON SERENA AND MARDY WIN!

Brooklyn90
Nov 11th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Good luck Serena :yeah: This will be good practice for the Australian Open.

serenus_2k8
Nov 11th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Woop!! Czechs look OK but rest should be a breeze! Is it just round robin like YEC with best 2 going through or what?

williamsluva
Nov 11th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Best possible draw for em, Jankovic and Djokovic are the 2 killers. Although safarova is really dangerous (my coach believes shes a future world number 1 cos of how she strikes the ball). If serena for once is as motivated as she was at the beggining of this year (yeh thats harsh to say but she never improved after miami injured or not), they will be in the finals and she shouldnt lose a match.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 11th, 2007, 11:46 PM
come on rena!!!

kadirelf
Nov 13th, 2007, 05:45 PM
serena hopman cup after please play sydney

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 13th, 2007, 08:02 PM
no no sydney...bad memories...she twisted her ankle in 02 and couldn't compete...that year i believe she would have won that and got the calender slam :hysteric:

williamsluva
Nov 15th, 2007, 12:18 AM
no no sydney...bad memories...she twisted her ankle in 02 and couldn't compete...that year i believe she would have won that and got the calender slam :hysteric:

Yeh i think shes superstitious about that too, the last time she did well after playing sydney was when she lost to hingis in 01. Plus look at what happened to clijsters, its too much work neways.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 15th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Best possible draw for em, Jankovic and Djokovic are the 2 killers. Although safarova is really dangerous (my coach believes shes a future world number 1 cos of how she strikes the ball). If serena for once is as motivated as she was at the beggining of this year (yeh thats harsh to say but she never improved after miami injured or not), they will be in the finals and she shouldnt lose a match.

Safarova :hearts: When she's on she can give anyone fits, but when you have to constantly qualify someone's ability with, "when she's on", that's not too encouraging. She's got to find that balance of power and consistency. She's got plenty of aggression and she was healthy for a full season, which is an amazing feat for her. I love to see her in the top 10, but I see her more as a top 20 player with the ability to beat anyone any given day and also lose to anyone any given day.

Love to see Serena and Mardy bring the Cup home- what kind of season did Serena have the last time she played Hopman Cup. Was that back in 2003 when she won Wimbledon and the Australian. Let's hope that happens again- of course minus that nasty injury.

GO SERENA!!!

urock34
Nov 15th, 2007, 02:26 AM

well she actually said that while she was sitting at home with her hurt ankle she decided that she wanted to be the best but who knows what would have happened if she didnt role her ankle

williamsluva
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:56 AM
well she actually said that while she was sitting at home with her hurt ankle she decided that she wanted to be the best but who knows what would have happened if she didnt role her ankle

ROFL Ok so what do you think she has in mind now, having to sit on the SIDELINES and watch those 2 bitches steal her thunder right in front of her eyes!!!

serenus_2k8
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Haha :lol: Oooh im excited already....

How does the tourny work though - I dont kno much about it!!!

The Daviator
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Haha :lol: Oooh im excited already....

How does the tourny work though - I dont kno much about it!!!

It's like Davis Cup/Fed Cup, except with men and women :p So there'll be men's singles, women's singles and mixed doubles in each tie ;)

Olórin
Nov 18th, 2007, 01:15 AM
ROFL Ok so what do you think she has in mind now, having to sit on the SIDELINES and watch those 2 bitches steal her thunder right in front of her eyes!!!

:lol: I've been thinking that since the US Open.

It's different now though as she's done the Grand Slam once, and everyone knows she's the best :shrug:

I suppose you do have Justine who is doing fairly well, so hopefully Serena will fell the need to prove herself the best once again. And what better place to start than the Hopman Cup :cool:

serenus_2k8
Nov 18th, 2007, 10:58 AM
It's like Davis Cup/Fed Cup, except with men and women :p So there'll be men's singles, women's singles and mixed doubles in each tie ;)

Oooh thanks, sounds good! They should make it teams of 4 so that Venus and Blake can play (Fish --> Roddick :woohoo: )

Would have been cooooool! Oh well come on Serena!! Is it going to be Televised?

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 19th, 2007, 03:14 AM
anyone over roddick....lol ps...correct your spelling of Australian in your siggy

doni1212
Nov 19th, 2007, 03:32 AM
anyone over roddick....lol ps...correct your spelling of Australian in your siggy

And Wimbledon, :tape: :lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:11 PM
lol ^ lol

serenus_2k8
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:15 PM
:o Lol the shame of it! :lol: :tape:

doni1212
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:00 PM
:o Lol the shame of it! :lol: :tape:

I was just playing around with you. I don't knock down Serena or Venus fans, ;)

santhuruu
Dec 18th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Well just one and a half week almost and then Serena can start her 2008 campaign, even though it is in 2007

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 18th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Here's the COMPLETE schedule http://www.hopmancup.com.au/default.aspx?id=201:

Session 1
Sat 29 Dec 2007
10:30am
USA (2) V India (7)
Serena Williams v Sania Mirza
Mardy Fish v Rohan Bopanna

Mixed Doubles
Session 2
Sat 29 Dec 2007
6:00pm
Czech Republic (3) v Australia (6)
Lucie Safarova v Alicia Molik
Tomas Berdych v Peter Luczak
Mixed Doubles

Session 3
Tennis West Family Day
Sun 30 Dec 2007
Serbia (1) v Chinese Taipei (8)
Jelena Jankovic v Su-Wei Hsieh
Novak Djokovic v Yen-Hsun Lu
Mixed Doubles

Session 4
Sun 30 Dec 2007
6.00pm
France (4) v Argentina (5)
Tatiana Golovin v Gisela Dulko
Gael Monfils v Juan Ignacio Chela
Mixed Doubles

Session 5
Mon 31 Dec 2007
USA (2) v Czech Republic (3)
Serena Williams v Lucie Safarova
Mardy Fish v Tomas Berdych
Mixed Doubles

Session 6
Tue 1 Jan 2008
Australia (6) v India (7)
Alicia Molik v Sania Mirza
Peter Luczak v Rohan Bopanna
Mixed Doubles

Session 7
MYER Ladies Day
Wed 2 Jan 2008
Serbia (1) v France (4)
Jelena Jankovic v Tatiana Golovin
Novak Djokovic v Gael Monfils
Mixed Doubles

Session 8
Wed 2 Jan 2008
Argentina (5) v Chinese Taipei (8)
Gisela Dulko v Su-Wei Hsieh
Juan Ignacio Chela v Yen-Hsun Lu

Session 9*
Thur 3 Jan 2008
USA (2) v Australia (6)
Serena Williams v Alicia Molik
Mardy Fish v Peter Luczak
Mixed Doubles
Czech Republic (3) v India (7)
Lucie Safarova v Sania Mirza
Tomas Berdych v Rohan Bopanna
Mixed Doubles

Session 10*
Thur 3 Jan 2008
Serbia (1) v Argentina (5)
Jelena Jankovic v Gisela Dulko
Novak Djokovic v Juan Ignacio Chela
Mixed Doubles
France (4) v Chinese Taipei (8)
Tatiana Golovin v Su-Wei Hsieh
Gael Monfils v Yen-Hsun Lu
Mixed Doubles

Final
Fri 4 Jan 2008
Winner Group A vs. Winner Group B

BuTtErFrEnA
Dec 18th, 2007, 11:37 AM
go serena!!!!!! she beats them hands down :D

doni1212
Dec 18th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Well just one and a half week almost and then Serena can start her 2008 campaign, even though it is in 2007

That is crazy!! But I'm so ready for a Williams season in 2008!!!

serenaforever
Dec 18th, 2007, 10:35 PM
:woohoo::banana::banana::woohoo:

2moretogo
Dec 19th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Almost there!!!! Can't believe that the off-season is almost over. I totally agree that Hopman Cup is a really fun event.

BuTtErFrEnA
Dec 19th, 2007, 10:09 PM
i believe it gives her the requisite practice without the added stress of a real tournie...

Olórin
Dec 21st, 2007, 01:43 PM
Wow the off season has gone so quickly!

Dec 21st, 2007, 01:45 PM
I wish she was playing Hobart because her game just seemed to elevate after playing three matches that actually counted last year

G1Player2
Dec 27th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Ugh, looks like Serena pulled out the first couple of days because of Illness. Giving the haters something to eat on. :rolleyes: I hope she doesn't show up at that Jay-Z concert. That would be a disaster. I hope now that Serena is getting into late in her career, that she takes her tennis as seriously than ever.

She has looked fit lately but not onlt fitness, but the dedication needs to be there as well. I can't handle all these losses to Justine especially because Serena knows she is better no matter how great Justine is. If she was able to conquer Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati, her sister, and Sharapova, no doubt will she turn the tables on Justine. Hell, I don't even really take too much from those losses to Justine at Wimbledon and the US Open considering Serena was injured.

Anyway, doesn't matter. Let's hope Serena is fit, healthy, hungry, and back to 2002 form and nothing, not even Justine, will stop her. :yeah:

santhuruu
Dec 27th, 2007, 07:01 AM
http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza.be/tennis/071227_serena_williams_niet_in_Hopman_Cup

According to this source, it says that Serena is still suffering from her knee, dated back from Madrid.

BuTtErFrEnA
Dec 27th, 2007, 12:46 PM
brr? lol well i guess you would know what it says....hopefully it's just because she is delaying her arrival at perth that people think it's the injury

Craigy
Dec 27th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Will this knee problem ever get sorted out? :shrug:

AkademiQ
Dec 27th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Sticky situation. Serena, if your word isn't good enough, what else can you stand for? Either she need not commit so early to these type of events or the scheduling for WTA needs to change period. I'm tired of these predictable episodes with Serena. Old, tired, and repetitive.

Destiny
Dec 27th, 2007, 02:21 PM
No Please No
I Want To See Her Play Well And Now
But I Think She Need Not Commit If She Needs To Rest
No Serena No

serenus_2k8
Dec 27th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Argh it sux... she was ok when she played the exo wid James Blake???

Diesel
Dec 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Anyway, doesn't matter. Let's hope Serena is fit, healthy, hungry, and back to 2002 form and nothing, not even Justine, will stop her. :yeah:

Looks like Serena needs to get out of her own way first :lol:
I'm not going to think too hard on this. I'll tune in when her airplane touches land.

BuTtErFrEnA
Dec 27th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Will this knee problem ever get sorted out? :shrug:

nope...once a joint like that is injured once its always easier to injure it...always gonna have problems with it till she stops playing

however, i think it isn't the knee and people are just assuming it is...in this situation i actually believe she is just sick and needed an extra day or two otherwise the replacement couldn't be someone who is supposed to be playing a tournie the same time of the hopman cup...meg is only playing that one time and then serena steps in when meg will have to leave to go to the tournie...

Marcell
Dec 28th, 2007, 12:32 PM
'US can win Cup without Serena'

Perth - Mardy Fish is confident the United States can win without star teammate Serena Williams, and add another Hopman Cup to their already impressive record in the mixed teams event.

The United States, which has won three of the last five Hopman Cups, has a tough opening match against Indian sensations Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna in a Group B tie here on Saturday.

Williams will miss the match due to illness that has delayed her arrival in Perth, prompting the late callup of veteran and noted doubles player Meghan Shaughnessy to team with Fish against the Indian pair.

"Meghan is a great girl and played here one time before with James (Blake)," said Fish ranked 39 in the world.

"She can play very well in doubles as well. If we can just squeak out one of the singles wins, I like our chances on the doubles court.

Surprise packet

"I enjoy playing doubles just as much as she does," Fish said.

Mirza and Bopanna were the surprise packet of the previous Hopman Cup earlier this year, almost reaching the final, and will fancy their chances against the newly-teamed American pair.

With Mirza, ranked 21 places above Shaughnessy in singles at 31, expected to win her match and Fish confident of beating Bopanna, the tie could be decided by the mixed doubles showdown.

Mirza and Bopanna were unbeaten in their three mixed doubles matches here earlier in the year, but Shaughnessy has plenty of experience, and Fish said she was a more than able replacement for Grand Slam winner Williams.

Tournament organiser Paul McNamee reiterated on Friday that Williams would arrive on Sunday morning and be fit for the other two US group matches.

Fish, making his second successive appearance in Perth having teamed with Ashley Harkleroad earlier this year, said Williams had already indicated her determination to win the Hopman Cup for a second time.

She successfully teamed with Blake in 2003 to clinch the title.

'Pretty fired up'

Fish said Williams had set her sights on collecting another of the unique diamond-encrusted tennis balls given to the winners.

"We played together in James Blake's charity event, she was pretty fired up to come down here and she wanted a diamond ball," Fish said.

"Her mom took the one she won before.

"She sounded really into it."

Fish conceded that the top-seeded Serbian pairing of world No.3s Jelena Jankovic and Novak Djokovic were the team to beat in Perth. But he joked that he had been firing some verbal volleys at Jankovic on the practice court in recent weeks in an attempt to rile him before the showdown here.

doni1212
Dec 28th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Fuck Mardy, lol. You can't win without Serena bitch, :armed:!!!

BuTtErFrEnA
Dec 28th, 2007, 10:11 PM
LOL easy doni LOL

BuTtErFrEnA
Dec 28th, 2007, 10:12 PM
we shall wait until sunday anyways...then we shall know what sort of shape she is in

Olórin
Dec 28th, 2007, 10:23 PM
She'll be there on Sunday, right? :unsure:

Destiny
Dec 28th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Fuck Mardy, lol. You can't win without Serena bitch, :armed:!!!

so agree
thats how i felt when i read that
i was like shut the f**k up u loser u can't do squat without her:fiery:
:lol:

2moretogo
Dec 29th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Well, like shouldn't she be traveling today/tomorrow. Seems like you'd need at least a day to get acclimated to the time change/conditions. BUT this is Serena, never a dull moment.

Destiny
Dec 29th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Thats What I Was Thinking Too
She Might Already Be There And We Don't Know :(

BuTtErFrEnA
Dec 29th, 2007, 02:15 PM
well meg said she is flying out to go to gold coast...as i thought she would be...so we shall see if serena is true to her word

2moretogo
Dec 29th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I am really hoping she (Serena) attends this instead of 40/40 Vegas opening. Anyhoo, hopefully if she does go there will be a live stream somewhere cuz I don't think that TTC is covering Hopman live.

Dec 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Aren't they covering one of the USA ties live?

Dec 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM
The Tennis Channel I mean

2moretogo
Dec 30th, 2007, 06:36 AM
I don't think so, but the schedule is soo screwy. The schedule will say something and then you turn on the tv they are showing a tourney. So I guess check TTC 8:30pm est (10:30 am Monday in Perth) tomorrow and see what TTC is showing. I think they are scheduled to show AO classic match of Serena v. Venus, but we shall see.

BuTtErFrEnA
Dec 30th, 2007, 07:19 AM
she's in perth ;)

In The Zone
Dec 30th, 2007, 07:23 AM
I think on Jan 2. The TTC will be covering the US vs. Australia.

Dec 30th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I know it is one of the ties because they are also supposed to be covering a Serbian tie as well

Destiny
Dec 30th, 2007, 12:15 PM
she's in perth
she's in perth
praise the lord i was gettin worried:bounce::worship::rolleyes:

Craigy
Dec 30th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I'm so excited she's made it to Perth. :D
Good luck vs Safarova.

Dodoboy.
Dec 30th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Do we think she can win her first match this season!?.....YESS!!!!

santhuruu
Dec 31st, 2007, 07:35 AM
Serena defeated Safarova 6-0 2-6 7-5, while being down 2-4 final set!
Berdych withdrew from both singles and doubles matches. And the scores for those matches will be 6-0 6-0 as well for the doubles 6-0 6-0 that will be taken into the rankings in the poule I've read somewhere, which gives the US a favourable position to reach the final.

BuTtErFrEnA
Dec 31st, 2007, 12:32 PM
:D...happy US is winning but sad for Tomas...hope he gets better :)

2moretogo
Dec 31st, 2007, 04:33 PM
Yay!! I am happy too, though last night was stressful. Anyhoo, Tomas just hasn't been the same since USO match against Andy. Hopefully he'll figure out what is ailing him.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 1st, 2008, 02:08 PM
next up....Molik :) come on Serena!!!

dybbuk
Jan 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
TTC is showing it tonight. Good luck Serena. :cool:

dybbuk
Jan 1st, 2008, 02:20 PM
TTC is showing it tonight. Good luck Serena. :cool:

Or at least I thought they were. Looking all I see is Roland Garros Classics. :o They have apparently found it too difficult to show what they say they will this off-season, however. :rolleyes:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 1st, 2008, 02:36 PM
:rolleyes: crappy channels

Serena'sboo
Jan 1st, 2008, 03:59 PM
No they are going to show it... if you go to the tennis channel website they have the real schedule...T.v guide is bull crap

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 2nd, 2008, 02:16 AM
i can't watch it :( can we stay here and people give me some updates as it progresses?

Serena'sboo
Jan 2nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
Sure!!!!

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:44 AM
is it tonight??? ty so much :) i'd greatly appreciate it :D

Serena'sboo
Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
No problem!!! So hey it will start around 7:30 pm and its 5:00 pm now so it will be starting soon

santhuruu
Jan 4th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Well as the title of this thread says, Serena started the year with a bang without losing any match in Perth and she won that diamond ball!!! Great job Serena!

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/292/captd47cb1939ad341a48d0bs8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Destiny
Jan 4th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Great job by venus

Diesel
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Hmm... would Serena and Mardy be serious about doubles together?

Craigy
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Just watched the doubles. Serena was great! :hearts:

Jan 4th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I think Serena and Mardy should play Aussie Mixed Doubles together!!

Chance
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I taped the match, it was fun to watch and they have really good chemistry... Mardy has a similar temperament to Serena's... would be great to see Serena play more mixed.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:25 AM
yea i hope they play mixed together...they seem to really get along....i hope they consider it for at least the AO

RichyRena
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Yeh but with her playing singles, Doubles with Venus and then Mixed doubles wouldnt that be too much for her? what if she makes it far with all of them lol yeah that would be good but I dont want it affecting her Singles and making her tired so maybe she shoudl think about doing 1 doubles, but if it doesnt then yeahh she should deffo cuz they could win it all Can you imagine Singles, Doubles and Mixed doubles all in 1 slam, that would send a big message to everyone :) Has anyone done that in the open era?

Jan 5th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I'm pretty sure Martina Navratilova has done it a couple of times RichyRena