PDA

View Full Version : Fed Cup pics

Elske
Jul 20th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Lindsay won 6-3,6-3 against Anna Smasnova, whoohoooo :D

Congrats Lindsay!!

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020720/capt.1027196473fed_cup_us_israel_kcar102.jpg

shirley
Jul 20th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Congrats Lindsay

Elske
Jul 20th, 2002, 09:49 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20020720/all/l584898.jpg

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 20th, 2002, 09:53 PM
She looks great!!!! Thanks for the pics!!!

Leo7
Jul 21st, 2002, 12:53 AM
CONGRATS Linzi!;) GO, USA!:)

Leo7
Jul 21st, 2002, 01:02 AM
Davenport beats Smashnova to give U.S. lead at Fed Cup
Copyright 2002 AP MegaSports
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) - Lindsay Davenport returned to competition with the same power that once made her No. 1 in the world, beating Anna Smashnova 6-3, 6-3 Saturday in the opening Fed Cup match between the United States and Israel.

Davenport, sidelined from serious competition since injuring her knee in November and returning from knee surgery in January, dominated with power serves and ground strokes, pushing Smashnova, Israel's No. 1 player, far behind the baseline.

Davenport showed signs of rust by making a number of unforced errors. But whether she was hitting winners or unforced errors, Davenport controlled the tempo of the match, played in 90-degree heat.

Davenport struggled only when she was serving for the match at 5-3. Smashnova fought off three match points before the Davenport gave the U.S. team the opening victory in the best-of-five competition.

Davenport's second serves were in the 85 mph range - usually faster than Smashnova's first serves.

Davenport consistently tried to draw Smashnova wide, which opened the court for multiple winners down the line.

In the second match, Monica Seles faced Tzipi Obziler.

In the Fed Cup quarterfinals, defending champion Belgium was tied 1-1 with Italy after Saturday's singles matches. Austria led Croatia 2-0, Spain led Germany 2-0, and France and Slovakia were tied 1-1.

Belgium's Els Callens beat Rita Grande 6-2, 6-1, before Italy's Silvia Farina Elia defeated Caroline Maes by the same score on clay in Bologna. Belgium is without Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin, who each reached a Grand Slam tournament final and led Belgium to its first Fed Cup title in 2001.

In other World Group playoffs, Australia and Netherlands were tied 1-1, Russia led China 2-0, Argentina led Hungary 2-0, the Czech Republic led Canada 2-0, Sweden led Switzerland 2-0, and Slovenia led Ukraine 2-0.

:) :) :)

gossipcom
Jul 21st, 2002, 03:22 AM
love that pic of her with the strings of her racquet :)

Here's another article - got a few extra quotes in it.

Saturday, July 20

Davenport, Seles help U.S. to 2-0 lead vs. Israel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Lindsay Davenport was beaming.

She was finally back in competition. Her right knee felt great. And she overpowered Israel's Anna Smashnova 6-3, 6-3 on a blistering hot Saturday afternoon in the opening Fed Cup match.

"My first match back in so long, that I'm even walking afterwards, I'm very, very happy,'' said Davenport, who had not played serious competition since injuring the knee in November and undergoing surgery in January.

"My knee held up. Everything went smoothly.''

In the second match, Monica Seles breezed past Tzipi Obziler 6-4, 6-2 to put the Americans on the verge of early victory in the best-of-five competition.

Davenport showed the same power that once made her No. 1 in the world, dominating Smashnova with power serves and ground strokes that pushed Israel's No. 1 player far behind the baseline.

There were signs of rust, though. She made a number of unforced errors. But whether she was hitting winners or unforced errors, Davenport controlled the tempo of the match, in 90-degree heat.

"Physically right now, I feel great,'' she said. "But I don't know the level of my game or how consistent it will be. I really have never been off this long. The people I've spoken with who have had injuries said to expect ups and downs. But I'll take a win any time.''

In the second match, Seles demonstrated too much experience and savvy for her lesser-ranked opponent.

To close out the first set, Obziler crushed a backhand passing shot down the line. But Seles lunged to her right and feathered a short-angle, backhand drop shot that clinched the set and brought a collective gasp from the audience of about 2,000.

"I was having a hard time with my forehand, my serve today,'' she said. "But I haven't played much. As anybody else, my timing is a little bit off. But I just have to hit some more balls.''

The underdog Israelis will try to keep the Americans from an early win on Sunday when Seles meets Smashnova and Davenport goes against Obziler.

"I am very satisfied with the performance of our girls,'' said Israeli captain Oded Jacob.

"I think maybe Lindsay surprised me a little bit coming back from eight months injury, the way she played, especially the way she served. She had a few lapses of concentration, but generally she played very well.''

After a 6-4 first set, Seles took total control of her first-ever match with Obziler. In a somewhat uneven first set, Seles appeared to do only as much as she needed to stay ahead.

Davenport struggled only when she was serving for the match at 5-3. Smashnova fought off three match points before the Davenport gave the U.S. team the opening victory in the best-of-five competition.

Davenport's second serves were in the 85 mph range -- usually faster than Smashnova's first serves.

Davenport consistently tried to draw Smashnova wide, which opened the court for multiple winners down the line.

In the Fed Cup quarterfinals, defending champion Belgium was tied 1-1 with Italy after Saturday's singles matches. Austria led Croatia 2-0, Spain led Germany 2-0, and France and Slovakia were tied 1-1.

Belgium's Els Callens beat Rita Grande 6-2, 6-1, before Italy's Silvia Farina Elia defeated Caroline Maes by the same score on clay in Bologna. Belgium is without Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin, who each reached a Grand Slam tournament final and led Belgium to its first Fed Cup title in 2001.

In other World Group playoffs, Australia and Netherlands were tied 1-1, Russia led China 2-0, Argentina led Hungary 2-0, the Czech Republic led Canada 2-0, Sweden led Switzerland 2-0, and Slovenia led Ukraine 2-0.

jacs
Jul 21st, 2002, 05:04 PM
lindsay is looking soooo wonderful :D

LittleTennisFan
Jul 21st, 2002, 05:20 PM
Wow!

Our Queen is looking incredibly fit and lean.

Oh yeah, and she won so woo-hoo http://www.smilies.nl/bounce/huepfenboldred.gif

Kelly
Jul 21st, 2002, 07:45 PM
this is so great......welcome back lindsay!!

Nikki
Jul 21st, 2002, 08:43 PM
Congrats Lindsay, Keep it going:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

mvcy
Jul 21st, 2002, 10:04 PM
thankz 4 all the pics! i miss lindsay so much and finally got chance 2 see some NEW pics from her, great job!
really hope tht she can do well in US Open this year! let's all pray for her!:angel:

lindsay, u r the best, love ya:bounce:

Maajken
Jul 21st, 2002, 10:31 PM
:bounce:

kazbeee
Jul 21st, 2002, 11:29 PM
Lindsay looks really healthy and fit from the pictures I have seen, also sporting a glowing tan, maybe she made the most of her break and who can blame her.

vicki
Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:37 AM
ooh, THANX!! SHE'S SOOOO GREAT!!! :)

gossipcom
Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:52 AM
US won their Fed Cup tie 5-0 - Lindsay was the only person to drop a set <g> she won her match 2-6 6-1 7-6.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020722/i/1027300788.4093788242.jpg

yay the racquet bounce is back :)

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020721/i/1027294468.3489874008.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020721/i/1027294254.3691159635.jpg

love this shot

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020721/capt.1027293614.fed_cup_us_israel_kcar111.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020721/capt.1027293485.fed_cup_kcar110.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020721/capt.1027289295.fed_cup_israel_us_kcar108.jpg

Maajken
Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:23 AM
lmao what the hell was she doing with that thing in her eyes? :eek:

She looks awesome i have to say..love the red skirt :D (now all she has to do is get the headband back)

gossipcom
Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:59 AM
lol re: eyes, because of the heat she was trying to cool herself, put a nice ice pack (aka the band - which I must say is awesome for heat) over the eyes so you don't get sun stroke :)

Jan
Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the great pics and yes doesn't she look "Lean and Mean" and Fit. Come on Lindsay, Lets get going now.

GO GO GO LINDSAY

Jan

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GoLindsay
Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:54 PM
Ditto everything you have all said.
Come on Lindsay, frighten them to death :fiery: