PDA

View Full Version : The Netball Thread

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM
http://www.netballworldchamps.com/images/newLogo.gif

http://www.netballworldchamps.com/index.cfm

The 2007 New World Netball World Championships, to be held at The Trusts Stadium, Waitakere in Auckland, New Zealand, 10-17 November.

Pool A
(1) New Zealand
Malawi
Wales
Botswana

Pool B
(2) Australia
Trinidad & Tobago
Samoa
Scotland

Pool C
(3) Jamaica
Fiji
Singapore
Cook Islands

Pool D
(4) England
(5) South Africa
Barbados
Malaysia

The first game is tomorrow with New Zealand vs. Malawi.

Allez the Silver Ferns.

Infiniti2001
Nov 9th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Wow netball!! Haven't played this in eons... Over the years Trinidad has always had kickass teams :eek:

Philbo
Nov 9th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Can you tell me whether the draw has been setup so that Australia and New Zealand play in the final? Assuming they both win through of course..

Praying that SKY in the UK will televise the final because those matches are always insanely exciting!!!!

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 10th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Can you tell me whether the draw has been setup so that Australia and New Zealand play in the final? Assuming they both win through of course..

Praying that SKY in the UK will televise the final because those matches are always insanely exciting!!!!

Yeah, they are seeded to meet in the Final.

This is how the Quarter Finals should look:
New Zealand vs. South Africa
Jamaica vs. Samoa or Trinidad & Tobago
England vs. Malawi
Australia vs. Fiji

I'm a little confused as to why they matched up the #1 seed with the #3 seed, and #2 with #4. :confused:

NEW ZEALAND: Television

SKY Sport 1
Host: Stephen McIvor
Commentary Team: Jenny Woods, Lesley Murdoch, Bernice Mene, Andrea McVeigh, Kathryn Harby-Williams, Anna Stanley, Tania Dalton, Garfield Samuels.
SKY’s comprehensive & authoritative coverage of the Championships begins with a preview at 8.00 pm on Friday 9 November, and includes 34 live games on SKY Sport 1 with replays on SKY Sport 3, plus previews, reviews, profiles and features.

Visit SKY's Netball World Championships home page. (http://www.skytv.co.nz/sports-netball-home-page.aspx)

TVNZ: TV One
Host: Lavina Good
Commentary Team: Julie Coney, Brendan Telfer, Dean McLachlan, Jenny-May Coffin, Joan Hodson, Anne Sargeant.

Saturday 10 November LIVE
7.30-9.45 pm Opening Ceremony and the Silver Ferns v Malawi
Sunday 11 November
10.50 pm Australia v Samoa - delayed coverage
Monday 12 November LIVE
4.00-6.00 pm Silver Ferns v Wales
Tuesday 13 November
8.30-10.30 pm Silver Ferns v Botswana - delayed coverage
Wednesday 14 November
11.00 pm-midnight Quarter-final preview highlights
Thursday 15 November LIVE
7.30-10.30 pm One quarter-final
Friday November 16 LIVE
7.30– 10.30 pm One semi-final
Saturday 17 November LIVE
7.30 – 10.00 pm Final

Visit One Sport's Netball World Championships home page. (http://tvnz.co.nz/view/sport_minisite_index_skin/sport_netball_world_champs_index_group)

AUSTRALIA: Television

ABC TV – Australian Eastern Standard Times
On ABC
Australia vs Samoa – 10.00 pm Sunday 11 November
Australia vs Trinidad & Tobago - 4:00 pm Monday 12 November
Australia vs Scotland - 12:30 pm Tuesday 13 November
Quarter Final: 2 - 2:00 pm Thursday 15 November
Semifinal: 1 - 4:30 pm Friday 16 November
Play-Off For 3rd & 4th Place - 4:00 pm Saturday 17 November
Final – 10:20 pm Saturday 17 November

On ABC2
New Zealand vs Malawi - 6:00 pm Saturday 10 November
Highlights: Day 1 - 9:30 pm Sunday 11 November
Highlights: Day 2 - 9:30 pm Monday 12 November
Highlights: Day 3 - 9:30 pm Tuesday 13 November
Highlights: Day 4 - 9:30 pm Wednesday 14 November

INTERNET BROADCAST
PlanetStream TV (http://www.planetstream.tv/) is hosting the world-wide internet broadcast of 34 games from the New World Netball World Championships.
Whole tournament and finals packages will be offered. Prices to be confirmed.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 10th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Wow netball!! Haven't played this in eons... Over the years Trinidad has always had kickass teams :eek:

Yeah, T&T have always been one of the more better teams. Certainly not anywhere near the level of the top 4, but they are always very competitive.

Such a shame they drew Samoa in the same group. Both of these teams should be in the QF's.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 10th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Fiji netball players denied NZ entry
http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/news2007/news_sport/fijinetball_232_071107.jpg

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1435131

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 10th, 2007, 02:22 AM
England confident of upset win
http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/sport/netball/world_champs_2007/caldow_england_coach_d.jpg

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1435171

"I think because of our performances we'd probably sit at two at the moment and you'd rank New Zealand three," she told ONE News.

It was after the loss to England that van Dyk's form came into question for the first time in her career.
"We do it consistently on Irene," said Caldow.
"I've got a world class backline. We know Irene quite well, we know what she does and they are quietly confident on how they perform on her, so yeah we can do it again."

One win over the Ferns and England thinks they're #2? It was their first win over New Zealand in 32 years. :haha:

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 10th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Aitken goes with Langman for champs

http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/sport/netball/ferns_2007/langman_jump_pass_d.jpg

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1439029

Great to see Laura will be fit for the champs. But a bummer that Temepara George won't get into the team. If she and Donna Wilkins had made themselves available, no doubt New Zealand would come away with the trophy. :(

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 10th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Result: New Zealand 85-26 Malawi

:speakles:

This is a massive win considering Malawi is perhaps the best team outside the top 4.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 10th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Silver Ferns maul Malawi
http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/sport/netball/world_champs_2007/ferns_v_malawi_101107_d.jpg

The Silver Ferns have started their 2007 Netball World Championships with a 85-26 mauling of Malawi in Waitakere.
After a bright and colourful opening ceremony, the gulf in class on the court was in evidence straight from the off as Ruth Aitken's side tore into their African rivals.

Irene van Dyk showed once again the threat she possesses with a 100 per cent record of 42 goals from 42 attempts in the three quarters she was on court.
Malawi, who had talked up their chances before the game, were simply several steps behind and showed very little of the exciting play they demonstrated at the Commonwealth Games.
Laura Langman started in centre and lasted the full game, showing no signs of ill effects from her foot injury. Aitken started with a very strong attacking side with van Dyk and Jodi Te Huna up front. Sheryl Scanlan began at goal defence and Joline Henry with the wing defence bib.
The home side went off to a blistering start with a six-goal stretch within four minutes. The Malawi team, who caused a surprise at the Melbourne Games by defeating South Africa, showed flashes of their unusual style of play, passing backwards and sideways trying to find the gap.
The Ferns needed a good start to stamp their authority on the game and they were simply too classy for their African opponents, scoring 10 unopposed goals to open a 19-3 lead on 10 minutes.
Malawi could not get the ball down the court and were punished for every error and at the end of the first quarter the Ferns had opened a 23-5 lead.
The Africans, who had all sorts of visa, plane and accommodation issues before landing in New Zealand, came out fighting in the second stanza but yet again the Ferns squashed their resistance with a six-goal stretch midway through the quarter to lead 35-8.
They had opened up to 45-10 by the end of the quarter.
Aitken rung the chances for the third quarter with Maria Tutaia in for Te Huna, Julie Seymour on for Joline Henry and Leana de Bruin also taking the court at goal keep.
The changes took a little while to settle down and scoring was down slightly in the third quarter with the Ferns only taking it 18-9 for a 63-19 lead.
Youngster Maree Bowden was given a chance to shine in the final quarter, replacing Wilson at wing attack while Te Huna came back onto court to take over from van Dyk.
The one-way traffic continued as the Ferns clocked up the goals and Aitken's side finished comfortably 85-26 ahead. They next face Wales on Monday at 4.10pm in a game LIVE on TV ONE.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 10th, 2007, 08:22 AM
So everybody got a run except Paula Griffin. She shouldn't have even been named in the team, Daneka Wipiiti would've been a much better option. :hearts:

Ben.
Nov 10th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Hopefully Australia can beat Samoa tomorrow :D

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 11th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Today's results:

South Africa 67-28 Malaysia
Wales 54-35 Botswana
Trinidad & Tobago 47-39 Scotland
England 87-34 Barbados
Fiji 61-32 Singapore
Jamaica 71-29 Cook Islands
Australia 82-26 Samoa

No big upsets.

Surprised that T&T struggled with Scotland, especially after the form they showed in the Euro qualifiers.

Vilimaina Davu played for Fiji today. :eek: Would be great if Fiji could somehow meet the Ferns. Davu vs. Van Dyk. :drool:

Catherine Latu must have had a shocker for Samoa today. Didn't expect them to be beaten so badly like that.

Dunedin20
Nov 11th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Davu played for Fiji! whoa, having her in defence in the fijian team would of lifted their spirit somewhat, she was and probably still is one of the best defenders of the game.

Your top for are Australia, NewZealand, England and Jamaica.

I tip the Australians for the NWC this year, ofcourse against New Zealand, they have the tools and know how to play better under pressure. Plus they have beaten NewZealand on home ground this year, So thats not going to become to much of a factor.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Davu played for Fiji! whoa, having her in defence in the fijian team would of lifted their spirit somewhat, she was and probably still is one of the best defenders of the game.

Your top for are Australia, NewZealand, England and Jamaica.

I tip the Australians for the NWC this year, ofcourse against New Zealand, they have the tools and know how to play better under pressure. Plus they have beaten NewZealand on home ground this year, So thats not going to become to much of a factor.

Yeah, it's great to see Vili back out there. Hopefully she gets on court against Jamaica. Be interesting to see how Romelda Aitken handles Vili's physicality.

New Zealand were doomed when Temepara George and Donna Wilkins didn't make themselves available. If those two (and Anna Scarlett) were in the team, no doubt they would win.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 12th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Today's results:

Cook Islands 45-43 Singapore
Samoa 60-39 Scotland
Malawi 44-32 Botswana
South Africa 56-36 Barbados
New Zealand 86-24 Wales
England 99-16 Malaysia :o
Australia 78-34 Trinidad & Tobago
Jamaica 78-35 Fiji

I caught the AUS vs. TRI game today, and Australia is looking very sharp. The von Bertouch sisters and McMahon are on fire. T&T simply couldn't contend with the speed of these girls. Ellis and Cox were the only players who didn't get out on court.

Tomorrow is the final day of pool matches, with the following matches to decide who advances to the QF's with NZL, AUS, ENG, JAM and RSA.

Malawi vs. Wales
Samoa vs. Trinidad & Tobago
Fiji vs. Cook Islands

kittyking
Nov 12th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Today's results:

Cook Islands 45-43 Singapore
Samoa 60-39 Scotland
Malawi 44-32 Botswana
South Africa 56-36 Barbados
New Zealand 86-24 Wales
England 99-16 Malaysia :o
Australia 78-34 Trinidad & Tobago
Jamaica 78-35 Fiji

I caught the AUS vs. TRI game today, and Australia is looking very sharp. The von Bertouch sisters and McMahon are on fire. T&T simply couldn't contend with the speed of these girls. Ellis and Cox were the only players who didn't get out on court.

Tomorrow is the final day of pool matches, with the following matches to decide who advances to the QF's with NZL, AUS, ENG, JAM and RSA.

Malawi vs. Wales
Samoa vs. Trinidad & Tobago
Fiji vs. Cook Islands

Thanks for that - yay for Malawi

I saw the New Zealand match on tv earlier, I cant believe that Julie Seymour is still playing!!! Shes must be nearly 40 by now!!! (her husband dallas retired from sport while I was still at primary school)

kittyking
Nov 12th, 2007, 08:13 AM
So after today

Pool A
New Zealand are through, they verse Botswana tomorrow who are all but guaranteed to finish last in the pool (even if they pull off one of the biggest upsets in Netball history). Wales verse Malawi tomorrow, the winner advances through to the quarterfinals.

Pool B
Australia are through, they verse Scotland tomorrow. Trinidad and Tobago verse Samoa tomorrow, the winner advances through to the quarterfinals.

Pool C
Jamaica are through, they verse Singapore tomorrow. Fiji verse Cook Islands tomorrow, the winner advances through to the quarterfinals. I saw the highlights of the Cook Islands match before, they seemed very lucky to beat the lowly Singapore (who will be hosting the next NWC).

Pool D
South Africa verse England to determine which team will be top of their pool, the loser of this match will verse the Silver Ferns in the quarterfinals so both teams will be putting their top lineups into this match. Will likely be the most tight competitive game of the tournament so far. Barbados verse Malaysia to determine who versus who in the 9-16 playoff matches.

kittyking
Nov 12th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Kittykings predictions for the rest of the tournament

Pool A
New Zealand def Botswana 100-16
Malawi def Wales 55-41

1. New Zealand
2. Malawi
3. Wales
4. Botswana

Pool B
Australia def Scotland 71-34
Samoa def Trinidad and Tobago 46-42

1. Australia
2. Samoa
3. Trinidad and Tobago
4. Scotland

Pool C
Jamaica def Singapore 82-15
Fiji def Cook Islands 53-43

1. Jamaica
2. Fiji
3. Cook Islands
4. Singapore

Pool D
England def South Africa 55-52
Barbados def Malaysia 59-24

1. England
2. South Africa
3. Barbados
4. Malaysia

Quarterfinals
England def Malawi 65-51
Australia def Fiji 82-31
Jamaica def Samoa 71-34
New Zealand def South Africa 76-24

Semifinals
Australia def England 65-41
New Zealand def Jamaica 56-51

5-8 Semifinals
Malawi def Fiji 54-41
South Africa def Samoa 56-46

Championship Final

New Zealand def Australia 50-49

Placing 3-4
Jamaica def England 53-51

Placing 5-6
Malawi def South Africa 52-43

Placing 7-8
Fiji def Samoa 65-41

9-16 quarterfinals (yes they do these all these at the Netball World Champs)
Barbados def Botswana 56-45
Trinidad and Tobago def Singapore 63-29
Cook Islands def Scotland 65-35
Wales def Malaysia 52-34

9-12 semifinals
Barbados def Trinidad and Tobago 62-43
Cook Islands def Wales 49-45

13-16 semifinals
Botswana def Singapore 63-39
Malaysia def Scotland 56-53

Placing 9-10
Barbados def Cook Islands 67-30

Placing 11-12
Trinidad and Tobago def Wales 56-47

Placing 13-14
Botswana def Malaysia 65-45

Placing 15-16
Singapore def Scotland 65-34

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 12th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Thanks for that - yay for Malawi

I saw the New Zealand match on tv earlier, I cant believe that Julie Seymour is still playing!!! Shes must be nearly 40 by now!!! (her husband dallas retired from sport while I was still at primary school)

I know, she's been around for like, forever. :o

I remember her playing in the 1999 World Champs. So many great players back then. Loffhagen, Colling, Nicol, Charteris, Mene, Vagana, Tairi, etc. That final is one of the best matches I've ever seen. Too bad Loffhagen choked.

How have the Ferns been playing? We only get highlights of their matches here.

Has Scanlan been playing GD? I remember she owned that position at the 02 Commonwealth Games and the 03 Worlds. She and Davu combined really well. Maybe Aitken is looking at Scanlan as the starting GD ahead of De Bruin and Henry.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 12th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Kittykings predictions for the rest of the tournament

Pool A
New Zealand def Botswana 100-16
Malawi def Wales 55-41

1. New Zealand
2. Malawi
3. Wales
4. Botswana

Pool B
Australia def Scotland 71-34
Samoa def Trinidad and Tobago 46-42

1. Australia
2. Samoa
3. Trinidad and Tobago
4. Scotland

Pool C
Jamaica def Singapore 82-15
Fiji def Cook Islands 53-43

1. Jamaica
2. Fiji
3. Cook Islands
4. Singapore

Pool D
England def South Africa 55-52
Barbados def Malaysia 59-24

1. England
2. South Africa
3. Barbados
4. Malaysia

Quarterfinals
England def Malawi 65-51
Australia def Fiji 82-31
Jamaica def Samoa 71-34
New Zealand def South Africa 76-24

Semifinals
Australia def England 65-41
New Zealand def Jamaica 56-51

5-8 Semifinals
Malawi def Fiji 54-41
South Africa def Samoa 56-46

Championship Final

New Zealand def Australia 50-49

Placing 3-4
Jamaica def England 53-51

Placing 5-6
Malawi def South Africa 52-43

Placing 7-8
Fiji def Samoa 65-41

9-16 quarterfinals (yes they do these all these at the Netball World Champs)
Barbados def Botswana 56-45
Trinidad and Tobago def Singapore 63-29
Cook Islands def Scotland 65-35
Wales def Malaysia 52-34

9-12 semifinals
Barbados def Trinidad and Tobago 62-43
Cook Islands def Wales 49-45

13-16 semifinals
Botswana def Singapore 63-39
Malaysia def Scotland 56-53

Placing 9-10
Barbados def Cook Islands 67-30

Placing 11-12
Trinidad and Tobago def Wales 56-47

Placing 13-14
Botswana def Malaysia 65-45

Placing 15-16
Singapore def Scotland 65-34

My predictions :-

Quarter Finals
New Zealand def. South Africa
Jamaica def. Samoa
England def. Malawi
Australia def. Fiji

Semi Finals
New Zealand def. Jamaica
Australia def. England

Final
Australia def. New Zealand

3-4th place
England def. Jamaica

5-8 Placings
Samoa def. South Africa
Malawi def. Fiji

5-6th place
Samoa def. Malawi

7-8th place
South Africa def. Fiji

9-16 Placings
Barbados def. Botswana
Trinidad & Tobago def. Singapore
Cook Islands def. Scotland
Wales def. Malaysia

Trinidad & Tobago def. Barbados
Wales def. Cook Islands

Botswana def. Singapore
Scotland def. Malaysia

9-10th place
Trinidad & Tobago def. Wales

11-12th place
Barbados def. Cook Islands

13-14th place
Botswana def. Scotland

15-16th place
Singapore def. Malaysia

Final Rankings
1. AUS
2. NZL
3. ENG
4. JAM
5. SAM
6. MAL
7. RSA
8. FIJ
9. TRI
10. WAL
11. BAR
12. COOK
13. BOT
14. SCO
15. SIN
16. MAS

Dunedin20
Nov 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I know, she's been around for like, forever. :o

I remember her playing in the 1999 World Champs. So many great players back then. Loffhagen, Colling, Nicol, Charteris, Mene, Vagana, Tairi, etc. That final is one of the best matches I've ever seen. Too bad Loffhagen choked.

How have the Ferns been playing? We only get highlights of their matches here.

Has Scanlan been playing GD? I remember she owned that position at the 02 Commonwealth Games and the 03 Worlds. She and Davu combined really well. Maybe Aitken is looking at Scanlan as the starting GD ahead of De Bruin and Henry.

Loffhagen used to babysit me when I was living just north of Christchurch when she was a teenager.

Lesley Nicol, would have to be one of our best captains over the last 10 years

Tairei is still playing right? I think shes playing domestic, Hopefully she gets one last shot at the Silverferns, she must be nearing her early 30's from what I remember!

Ferns have been playing as expected, you don't get to see them underpressure playing Minnows like Malawi and Wales, so these matches don't give much indication of how their playing, wait to they take on some of the higher ranked teams and we will get some insight into their game.

And yep Scanlan has been playing, though shes swapped a few positions as well throughout, Ruth is doing a Graheme Henry-esque type buildup through rotation of players. and your right Scanlan owns that position like no one else.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Loffhagen used to babysit me when I was living just north of Christchurch when she was a teenager.

Lesley Nicol, would have to be one of our best captains over the last 10 years

Tairei is still playing right? I think shes playing domestic, Hopefully she gets one last shot at the Silverferns, she must be nearing her early 30's from what I remember!

Ferns have been playing as expected, you don't get to see them underpressure playing Minnows like Malawi and Wales, so these matches don't give much indication of how their playing, wait to they take on some of the higher ranked teams and we will get some insight into their game.

And yep Scanlan has been playing, though shes swapped a few positions as well throughout, Ruth is doing a Graheme Henry-esque type buildup through rotation of players. and your right Scanlan owns that position like no one else.

Really? :eek: It's such a shame she's not playing. I have no doubt if Donna was in the team, the Silver Ferns would win.

I think Theresa is still playing domestically. As you said though she's easily in her early 30's, so I don't know how much longer she'll continue.

Speaking of domestic comps, have you heard any news about the New Zealand teams for next year's Tasman Trophy? All I've heard here in Australia is about the Melbourne Vixens, and the new Adelaide Thunderbirds.

How I wish Anna Scarlett was still in the squad. She used to own GD. :sad: I miss watching her play.

Monica_Rules
Nov 12th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Go Wales

kittyking
Nov 12th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I've seen Loffhagen a number of times too, my Uncle was her favourite teacher at Rangiora High School all those years back and they've been good friends ever since really.

kittyking
Nov 12th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Im just watching the Malawi vrs Wales match atm on my desktop - its so exciting!!! Go Malawi!!!

kittyking
Nov 12th, 2007, 11:35 PM
:woohoo: Malawi beat Wales 55-52 :woohoo:

Malawi were very, very well disciplined and did just enough

Wales played very well but they did a number of small mistakes in the end that really cost them the game, I think they had more shots in the match (they missed 2 crucial ones in the final 5 mins)

kittyking
Nov 13th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Its halftime in the Australia vrs Scotland game, Australia lead 45-10 :eek:

Scotland is playing absolutely horribly, and they surely must be favourite to win the Wooden Spoon.

kittyking
Nov 13th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Australia won easily, saying that their under 10 team would have beaten Scotland :tape:

Watching Trinidad and Tobago verse Samoa live at the moment, its 10-10 at the end of the first quarter. Heaps of intercepts, both teams are taking alot of risks and its not paying off for either team. The team which plays most safetly in the next 45 minutes should win the match.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 13th, 2007, 03:21 AM
The Australia vs. Scotland game was so boring.

Bad news for the Aussies though with Gilsenan going off with a badly twisted ankle. This would be major news if she couldn't continue to play.

15-16th place should be extremely exciting between Scotland and Malaysia. :tape:

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 13th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Fiji 36-42 Cook Islands

Allez Samoa. Which end is Latu playing at?

Ben.
Nov 13th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Australia won easily, saying that their under 10 team would have beaten Scotland :tape:

:haha:

kittyking
Nov 13th, 2007, 05:42 AM
New Zealand beat Botswana 76-20

The Silver Ferns are a great side, we all know that - but Botswana played far better than the scoreline suggests, if they had a good shooter (also one that could rebound and pick up the high balls) then they would have got at least 40 goals. They reminded me alot of the Malawi team - they have a great positive attitude and I think they could be a top 8 team in the next 20 years.

kittyking
Nov 13th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Fiji 36-42 Cook Islands

Allez Samoa. Which end is Latu playing at?

WTF HAPPENNED THERE! Fiji are full of players who either currently play or used to play in New Zealand clubs. At her peak Davu was the best defender in the world.

Biggest upset of the World Cup so far

Mana
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Hey everyone! :wavey:
I just saw this thread, netball is my favourite sport. I have watched every game so far, except the matches on court 2 :o

Biggest upset so far would have to be Cook Islands d. Fiji! I watched Fiji last night against Jamaica and I was so dissapointed by them. There goal shoot Tarima Rara is a talent. I saw her in Jamaica, in '03, and she was really impressive, I was looking forward to seeing her this year, to see her improvment, but have been disapointed.

Samoa Vs. T&T was a great match. The T&T coach was telling her players to call time and fake injurys in the 4th quarter to slow Samoa down. Thank god it did not work! Francis Solia again showed that shes the best center playing in New Zealand. I would have that women in my team any day of the week!

Am really looking forward to England v. South Africa in 10 mins...go South Africa! :o

If you want to know about any match, just ask! :wavey:

Dunedin20
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Did someone say Rangiora High School? thats where my secondary Schooling was at :S and woodend School my primary!

kittyking
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Did someone say Rangiora High School? thats where my secondary Schooling was at :S and woodend School my primary!

That would be me who said Rangiora High School yea, my Uncle was a teacher there for years

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:47 AM
New Zealand beat Botswana 76-20

The Silver Ferns are a great side, we all know that - but Botswana played far better than the scoreline suggests, if they had a good shooter (also one that could rebound and pick up the high balls) then they would have got at least 40 goals. They reminded me alot of the Malawi team - they have a great positive attitude and I think they could be a top 8 team in the next 20 years.

Hmm, I was expecting the Ferns to have a bigger win than that. After Van Dyk went off at half-time the scoring rate certainly slowed.

Looks like Ruth is going for the Scanlan-Williams combination. Be interesting to see how they fare against Australia.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:47 AM
WTF HAPPENNED THERE! Fiji are full of players who either currently play or used to play in New Zealand clubs. At her peak Davu was the best defender in the world.

Biggest upset of the World Cup so far

I know, I was expecting an easy win for Fiji. :o

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Hey everyone! :wavey:
I just saw this thread, netball is my favourite sport. I have watched every game so far, except the matches on court 2 :o

Biggest upset so far would have to be Cook Islands d. Fiji! I watched Fiji last night against Jamaica and I was so dissapointed by them. There goal shoot Tarima Rara is a talent. I saw her in Jamaica, in '03, and she was really impressive, I was looking forward to seeing her this year, to see her improvment, but have been disapointed.

Samoa Vs. T&T was a great match. The T&T coach was telling her players to call time and fake injurys in the 4th quarter to slow Samoa down. Thank god it did not work! Francis Solia again showed that shes the best center playing in New Zealand. I would have that women in my team any day of the week!

Am really looking forward to England v. South Africa in 10 mins...go South Africa! :o

If you want to know about any match, just ask! :wavey:

How has Catherine Latu been playing for Samoa? I expected them to have a good campaign after Latu had been on fire in the Scottwood Trust Championships.

And as much as I'd love to see South Africa beat England, I want England to come out on top. A South African win would mean NZL vs. ENG in the Quarter-Finals. :scared:

If Mentor has a good game against Gumede, it'll be over.

Mana
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Good match going on between England & South Africa. England 15-7 in the forst quarter but South Africa have gome back to win the 2nd quarter 12-11, overall 26-18. South Africa took off Gumade (sp?) and have brought on Basson as GS and shes on fire! Keep it up girls!

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:56 AM
They benched Gumede? :bolt:

How does Basson play? I've never seen her in action.

Did England start with their strongest 7?

Mana
Nov 13th, 2007, 07:42 AM
They benched Gumede? :bolt:

How does Basson play? I've never seen her in action.

Did England start with their strongest 7?

Yeah they benched her. Mentor was all over her and Gumade only touched the ball twice, and shot 2/2. Basson came on and made a huge difference. She and Maarcraft rotated the circle well and had the English deffence on the run.

England did not start with there strongest 7. Cookey shot 82%, Harten 79%, Brownfield 96% (23/24). They started with Cookey and Harten. Harten looked ratteled in the 2nd quarter and was benched.

A full commenty of the match can be found here: http://www.radiosport.co.nz/AudioBank/WeekOnDemand/Default.aspx
Go to the 8pm-9pm slot :)

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the link. :yeah:

Today's full results :-

Wales 52-55 Malawi
Barbados 62-38 Malaysia
Australia 93-20 Scotland
Cook Islands 42-36 Fiji
Jamaica 91-35 Singapore
New Zealand 76-20 Botswana
England 62-32 South Africa

So the Quarter Finals look like this :-
Australia vs. Cook Islands
Jamaica vs. Samoa
England vs. Malawi
New Zealand vs. South Africa

The consolation Quarter Finals look like this :-
Barbados vs. Botswana
Trinidad & Tobago vs. Singapore
Fiji vs. Scotland
Wales vs. Malaysia

kittyking
Nov 14th, 2007, 06:35 AM
I've watched part of each of the games today

Botswana beat Barbados - Was very impressed with Botswana, they played better than they did yesterday. Barbados players were far more experienced, it was easy to see but Botswana never gave up and won by just 1 goal in the end.

Trinidad and Tobago beat Singapore - Trinidad and Tobago were fairly dominant, even their B side made some wonderful plays. They all seem to be best friends, its real cute!

Fiji smashed Scotland - Scotland can't play netball for s****, I'm sorry to say but they didn't seem to grasp the concept of the game at all! Fiji looked like world champions today, but not from extremely weak opposition rather than a strong performance.

At first quarter time its 13-10 Wales over Malaysia. The Malaysian Goal Shoot (GS) has got 100% so far (I think) while their Wing Defence (WD) and Goal Defence (GD) are making it really tough for Wales. Malaysia will likely get hammered by fulltime but even so their putting alot of effort into their match and you can hear all the crowd is cheering for them :)

Mana
Nov 14th, 2007, 08:03 AM
I watched Fiji V. Scotland tonight and I was shocked at how bad the Scottish shooters accually are. I saw them against Aussie yesterday and thought it might of just been on off day. But there captain needs to step down, Lesley MacDonald just shouldnt play international netball at GS for Scotland.

On a positive note Tarima Rara finally looked like the goods at GS for Fiji! I really, really wish that one of the Kiwi teams would sign her up for the ANZ Cup bext year. But they wont :sad: Keep going Tarima :hearts:

kittyking
Nov 14th, 2007, 08:08 AM
I watched Fiji V. Scotland tonight and I was shocked at how bad the Scottish shooters accually are. I saw them against Aussie yesterday and thought it might of just been on off day. But there captain needs to step down, Lesley MacDonald just shouldnt play international netball at GS for Scotland.

On a positive note Tarima Rara finally looked like the goods at GS for Fiji! I really, really wish that one of the Kiwi teams would sign her up for the ANZ Cup bext year. But they wont :sad: Keep going Tarima :hearts:

I think you mean Scotland shouldnt play international netball, their defense was pretty crap too

Mr.Kardashian
Nov 14th, 2007, 08:10 AM
fiji didnt make it? i played open boys netball state champs a couple of months ago 0 its a great sport. Go Australia

kittyking
Nov 14th, 2007, 08:13 AM
fiji didnt make it? i played open boys netball state champs a couple of months ago 0 its a great sport. Go Australia

I'm friends with some of the guys in the New Zealand mens netball team, its way different when the men play - the passes are way stronger, there is occasionaly punchups and shirts are ripped alot

Mr.Kardashian
Nov 14th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Mana
Nov 14th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I think you mean Scotland shouldnt play international netball, their defense was pretty crap too

That was just Tarima's great play :) She was dominating, she only missed 3 or 4 and she got the rebounds! :)

kittyking
Nov 14th, 2007, 08:38 AM
That was just Tarima's great play :) She was dominating, she only missed 3 or 4 and she got the rebounds! :)

Scotland only got about 2 interceps at the defense end the whole match :help:

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 15th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Just finished watching Australia and England's QF matches.

Norma Plummer went off in her post-match interview. :o She's so arrogant, and has 0 personality. She was saying how the Cook Islands stopped trying, and basically what a waste all these matches are against lower ranked teams.

Hello, how are you going to improve the standard of world Netball if the lower ranked nations don't get the experience of playing the best teams?

I love watching Malawi play. :hearts: Their QF with England was very entertaining. Somebody sign Mary Waya up for the Tasman Trophy.

kittyking
Nov 15th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Just finished watching Australia and England's QF matches.

Norma Plummer went off in her post-match interview. :o She's so arrogant, and has 0 personality. She was saying how the Cook Islands stopped trying, and basically what a waste all these matches are against lower ranked teams.

Hello, how are you going to improve the standard of world Netball if the lower ranked nations don't get the experience of playing the best teams?

I love watching Malawi play. :hearts: Their QF with England was very entertaining. Somebody sign Mary Waya up for the Tasman Trophy.

I can imagine how many kiwi's are taking the piss out of Norma for that, its the way in which she said it which I found most amusing :lol: I gotta say I sort of do agree with her in the way that I dont think Cook Islands played as well in the second half as they did in the first. Thats the difference between them and the likes of the African Nations. Malawi, Botswana and South Africa don't ever give up in their matches, even when their 20 goals behind they keep fighting the whole way and its great to watch. I hope that Malawi beats Cook Islands!!!

I think the Gap between all the teams has started to level out over the past few World Cups. It was hard to pick the top 8 teams this year, when in the past its been very easy to predict them all. The top 4 teams (and top 2) will stay that way for awhile but the rest are all fairly even picking now. Malawi, Botswana are likely to get alot more funding from their government after their performances this world cup.

kittyking
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:29 AM
:woohoo: New Zealand beat South Africa 81-23 (or something like that)

It was a great game, Silver Ferns completely dominated them. Can't help but feel that South Africa was lucky to make the quarters, they didnt play like a top 8 team and Botswana played far better than them :tape:

Mr.Kardashian
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:30 AM
so who is everyones fav. players?

mandy7
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:41 AM
oh come on, this is barely a sport
it's like korfbal, (lame-ass dutch/belgian sport) but women only

kittyking
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:46 AM

I have to say Julie Seymour, only because she used to go around all the primary school's helping out with their netball teams. And shes been in the squad for well over a decade, everyone thought she would retire when she had her baby but that just made her miss the sport more. What a champion :)

kittyking
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:55 AM
oh come on, this is barely a sport
it's like korfbal, (lame-ass dutch/belgian sport) but women only

We both know what your saying is rubbish, its one of the largest growing sports in the world. To top that off its one of the most watched events at the Commonwealth Games and also guys can play it too. Also men can play Netball, plenty do....

Mr.Kardashian
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:57 AM
its the second best sport in the world! (behind tennis of course)

i love susan pratley, gerrard, cox and mcmahon (ive met them all)

mandy7
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:58 AM
We both know what your saying is rubbish, its one of the largest growing sports in the world. To top that off its one of the most watched events at the Commonwealth Games and also guys can play it too. Also men can play Netball, plenty do....
You're*

Anyhow, it's for ppl who can't handle basketball.

Ben.
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:05 AM
netball isn't that bad...its fun when i played it at schoold uring PE lessons.

kittyking
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:11 AM
You're*

Anyhow, it's for ppl who can't handle basketball.

In New Zealand we dont value grammar that much (remember some of our town's arent spelt correctly such as Wanganui should be Whanganui)

Again thats rubbish, Basketball is VERY popular in New Zealand too. Although saying that it wasn't overly popular until we had that incredible run at the Basketball World Champs where we made it to the Semi's :)

mandy7
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:12 AM
netball isn't that bad...its fun when i played it at schoold uring PE lessons.
we usually just played b-ball
sometimes we played korfball (another b-ball jerk off)
but we sabotaged that, by pushing over the 'korf'
and then started playing footy with the stupid ball

kittyking
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Cox is :drool: :drool: :drool:

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:17 AM
I can imagine how many kiwi's are taking the piss out of Norma for that, its the way in which she said it which I found most amusing :lol: I gotta say I sort of do agree with her in the way that I dont think Cook Islands played as well in the second half as they did in the first. Thats the difference between them and the likes of the African Nations. Malawi, Botswana and South Africa don't ever give up in their matches, even when their 20 goals behind they keep fighting the whole way and its great to watch. I hope that Malawi beats Cook Islands!!!

I think the Gap between all the teams has started to level out over the past few World Cups. It was hard to pick the top 8 teams this year, when in the past its been very easy to predict them all. The top 4 teams (and top 2) will stay that way for awhile but the rest are all fairly even picking now. Malawi, Botswana are likely to get alot more funding from their government after their performances this world cup.

Norma Plummer would have to be one of the most annoying Netball figures ever. I really hope Australia doesn't win, only because I can't stand Plummer. :o

Malawi and Botswana are really going to be the big movers over the next few years. Also look out for Uganda, who actually beat South Africa earlier in the year.

Despite having a poor WNC, Singapore is another country I expect to improve over the next few years. They have their own national league, and host the 5 nation tournament every year.

Ben.
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:18 AM
we usually just played b-ball
sometimes we played korfball (another b-ball jerk off)
but we sabotaged that, by pushing over the 'korf'
and then started playing footy with the stupid ball

how many names can we come up with so many ball games? :lol:

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:20 AM

Anna Scarlett. :drool: I can't wait for the Tasman Trophy next year, so I can watch her play more often.

Also Casey Williams, Laura Langman, Daneka Wipiiti, Bronwyn Bock-Jonathon and Geva Mentor.

kittyking
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Norma Plummer would have to be one of the most annoying Netball figures ever. I really hope Australia doesn't win, only because I can't stand Plummer. :o

Malawi and Botswana are really going to be the big movers over the next few years. Also look out for Uganda, who actually beat South Africa earlier in the year.

Despite having a poor WNC, Singapore is another country I expect to improve over the next few years. They have their own national league, and host the 5 nation tournament every year.

Aw I dont mind annoying figures, infact my Idol (Rove) is the king of annoying people :lol:

Anyone know if Malawi and Botswana are airing this tournament?
:eek: South Africa are the 5th ranked country in the world I heard :tape:

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:25 AM

I've always thought Pratley looked a bit like Agnieszka Radwanska. :o

Ben.
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I don't really follow netball..but i like players like mc mahon, cox & of course liz ellis :)

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Aw I dont mind annoying figures, infact my Idol (Rove) is the king of annoying people :lol:

Anyone know if Malawi and Botswana are airing this tournament?
:eek: South Africa are the 5th ranked country in the world I heard :tape:

:lol:

I know it's being televised into Malawi. After their loss to the Ferns I know they got heaps of backlash back in Malawi. :tape:

They take ''the Queens'' very seriously.

kittyking
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:34 AM

I know it's being televised into Malawi. After their loss to the Ferns I know they got heaps of backlash back in Malawi. :tape:

They take ''the Queens'' very seriously.

I know it was broadcast when they played the Silver Ferns at the commonwealth games, they only lost by 25 or so goal but apparantly they almost fired the coach over that :tape:

Its nice to see Malawi taking this sport so seriously :)

Ben.
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:40 AM
woah..didn't expect that from Malawi :eek:

Langers
Nov 15th, 2007, 01:06 PM

That's all well and good, but have you met Medhurst?! ;)

kittyking
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:08 AM
It was a shame watching the Botswana match today, I thought they had a chance at least after beating Trinidad and Tobago and Barbados yesterday and the day before (all be it by a single goal). They were absolutely hammered, still they should be very pleased to finish 10th :) I hope they qualify for the next World Champs, they are a great team to watch. There performance the NWC was the biggest upset surprise imo.

The Malawi vrs Cook Island game and South Africa vrs Samoa games are about to start. Hopefully Malawi and Samoa win, although based on their competitors performance I think they both should win fairly comfortably.

Langers
Nov 16th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Based on the 2 SF's I would think Australia would be the favourites. Great performance against England and after a tough start they really took control and were never in doubt. Unbelievable defence, especcially by Gerrard and Ellis gave the Poms no chance.

NZ overcame the Jamaicans. They tired and the Kiwis ran all over them in the last quarter.

But I think the Aussies are in a great position here.

kittyking
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Malawi beat Cook Islands 61-47 and verse South Africa tomorrow (who beat Samoa 54-50) for 5th place. Cook Islands verse Samoa for 7th (go Samoa!!!)

16th Place: Malaysia :hug:
15th Place: Singapore - I hope there is actually a crowd when they host the next world champs.....
14th Place: Scotland - BOOOOOOO!!! Deserved to get last!!!
13th Place: Barbados - thought they would finish alot higher!!!
12th Place: Wales - They played reasonably well all world cup, nearly made the quarterfinals
11th Place: Trinidad and Tobago - They came right in the end :)
10th Place: Botswana - Are the only team in Netball World Cup history to win 2 games by 1 goal at a single world cup (consecutively too). They put a heap of effort into this, and definately didnt deserve the 5000-1 odds which centrebet gave them.
9th Place: Fiji - I hope Davu will still be allowed to visit Fiji...

Ben.
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:41 AM
:woohoo: now kick NZ's arse!

Prizeidiot
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Go the aussies!!!

Really physical stuff from England today though... thought it might of been the rugby all over again at the start of the match :p

Ben.
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:49 AM
at least we still kick england's arse in netball...oh wait, we kick their arses in a lot of sports :lol: :D

Langers
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:40 PM
at least we still kick england's arse in netball...oh wait, we kick their arses in a lot of sports :lol: :D
Ahh still thinking about the 5-0 Ashes domination. :lol: :yeah:

Mana
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Last night was the first time I have ever cheered for the Australian netball team. England & coach Marg Caldow, were talking them selves up all year, but at the big match, got hammered. Good job, I hope Jamaica can beat them for bronze too. Go home England, you suck.

NZ Vs. Jamaica was a lot closer that I thought it would be. I picked the Silver Ferns to win by 20+ but at half time I was seriously concerned. We got out of that one, but we have to step up if we want to beat Australia today. Good luck girls!

My scores for today:
Samoa 60-42 Cook Islands
South Africa 55-46 Malawi
Jamaica 55-52 England
New Zealand 49-46 Australia

Привет
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I hope England take 3rd place.

I don't mind seeing New Zealand beat Australia if it's a close, entertaining game. Where is Scarlet these days? Davu + Scarlet defence combination or Scarlet + DeBruin/Williams combination were awesome.

Mana
Nov 17th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Jamaica 53-52 England

The score does not reflect the game, Jamaica dominated the whole game and took a 10 goal lead into the final quarter. Close finish but Jamaica held on. Great match, altho gutted that Elaine Davis did not get a run. Her knees and really bad :sobbing:

Now bring on the big one!

Also great match between the Cook Islands & Samoa for 7th & 8th place. Cook Islands beat Samoa 56-55 in a thriller. Cant say enough about this match, fantastic quality.

Malawi 52-49 South Africa
South Africa lead going into half time and I thought they would run away with it. But Malawi stuck to it and won. At full time Malawi were rolling all over the court, jumping up and down. If you ever get to watch the last two mins of this match, do! International netball at its very best!! Malawi :worship:

Ben.
Nov 17th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Ahh still thinking about the 5-0 Ashes domination. :lol: :yeah:

yes :lol: and we won the title :woohoo:
final score was 42-38 :bounce:

Langers
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Aussies always on top but my word it came close. For some reason McMahon was taken off, then Pratley came off after she was playing pretty well. Then we took Cox off, I guess because she was starting to get a bit cold. Then MEDHURST came on! ;) 2/2!

Ellis is unbelievable, just unbelievable.

Prendergast coming on in the last quarter was a great change IMO. She played real well.

Aussies- brilliant at everything! :yeah:

kittyking
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I actually cried during the New Zealand vrs Australia match. I've never seen the Silver Ferns play so unorganised. Australia werent shooting that well in the first half, while the Silver Ferns made about every shot they put up - but somehow Australia stil had a sizeable lead. And it got worse from there. Van Dyk lacked the confidence to shoot from the deep, Langman kept passing to the wrong person and poor Adine tried to sort them both out but failed.

This year has been horrible for New Zealand. We lost in Rugby, Cricket, Hockey, League, Basketball and now Netball. I dont know where our 20 World Champions are (maybe they count it individually for our underwater hockey team?)

kittyking
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Aussies always on top but my word it came close. For some reason McMahon was taken off, then Pratley came off after she was playing pretty well. Then we took Cox off, I guess because she was starting to get a bit cold. Then MEDHURST came on! ;) 2/2!

Prendergast coming on in the last quarter was a great change IMO. She played real well.

I gotta give credit to Ellis, she seemed to really get into Van Dyk's head. Saying that alot of our players seem to get into the Aussies ways, there was about three or four knockouts scored by us :lol:

Ben.
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:31 AM

:yeah:

Prizeidiot
Nov 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Congrats to the Aussie girls... what a match!

Such a shame they couldn't have shown it live. I had the score ruined for me, but I don't mind too much

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 13th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I still can't think about that WNC Final loss. :o

Anyway the first test between the Ferns and England is tonight.

Mentor is not playing, so I'd be extremely surprised if New Zealand didn't win comfortably.

Allez NZL.

Langers
Oct 13th, 2008, 08:39 AM
How hot is Natalie Medhurst? She's in ALPHA too. :drool:

And Laura Geitz is hot!

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 13th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Laura Geitz is hawt. :hearts:

New Zealand crushed England 65-26. :drool: Can't wait to watch this.

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 14th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Ferns are thorn in England's side
http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/sport/netball/silver_ferns_2008/joline_henry_pass_s.jpg

The English fell to a humbling 65-26 defeat in Auckland on Monday night, a result that belied their competitiveness in a 2-0 series loss to world champions Australia this month.
England coach Sue Hawkins pointed to the Silver Ferns' defence as the most impressive aspect of their performance and she believed the credit should go to new assistant coach Waimarama Taumaunu.
"New Zealand certainly stepped up and put a huge defensive zone on us," she said.
"We didn't step up to the mark and think smart out on the court."
Hawkins said the withdrawal of key defender Geva Mentor after she turned an ankle in training was a big loss, but it wasn't the decisive factor in the defeat.
"We couldn't penetrate through the middle of the court and we'll have a look at what they stopped us doing."
Because of that lack of penetration, Hawkins said, her team didn't put up enough shots, while they also gave up intercepts as quickly as they got them.
She said the England camp was trying to be positive about Mentor's prospects of being available for the rest of the three-test series.
"She's walking on it and she can hop on it, so we are really trying to see if she's ready to go," she said.
New Zealand won every quarter comfortably to avenge their surprise defeat in Manchester 17 months ago, the last time the two countries met.

Ferns race
They raced out of the blocks to lead 16-7 after a first quarter in which shooters Irene van Dyk and Maria Tutaia didn't miss a shot.
Van Dyk, who was on court throughout, firstly as goal shoot then in her new position of goal attack, finished with the best New Zealand figures of 38 goals from 40 attempts.
Overall, the Silver Ferns' three shooters of van Dyk, Tutaia and Daneka Wipiiti had a 85 percent success rate.
That compared with the 68 percent for the English trio of Louisa Brownfield, Pamela Cookey and Rachel Dunn.
Cookey, who was unavailable for the tests against Australia because of work commitments, was a disappointment, converting just three of her 10 chances.

Stingy defence
Given the stingy nature of New Zealand's defence, it came as little surprise that the player of the match award went to a defender, wing defence Joline Henry.
Coach Ruth Aitken also highlighted what her players did without the ball as being a major part of the victory.
"The pressure on defence was outstanding," she said.
She said the team had been working hard under Taumaunu on having that pressure right through the court.
"Waimarama has been making sure of that and that really has made such a difference," she said.
"It sets the platform and it makes those circle defenders look good when they come through for the intercept."
Meanwhile, van Dyk believed England's hopes were significantly dented by Mentor's absence on court.
"Just her experience, her reading of the game and her putting the shooters under pressure on the lean of the shot," she said.
"I do think they missed her a lot."

Langers
Oct 14th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Laura Geitz is hawt. :hearts:
Let's use that as the thread title. :wavey:

Destiny
Oct 14th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Interesting never seen this before

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 15th, 2008, 02:10 AM
England ready for second chance
http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/sport/netball/2008/cookey_first_test_s.jpg

Wednesday night's second netball test against New Zealand in Dunedin offers England a shot at redemption - and the possibility of a decent night's sleep for their coach, Sue Hawkins.
Australian-born Hawkins will probably suffer nightmares for months to come after her team's meek capitulation at New Zealand's hands in Auckland on Monday.

With two solid performances against Australia a week earlier, England had high hopes of repeating last year's upset 50-45 win over the Silver Ferns.
Although the New Zealanders totally annihilated England 65-26 in Monday's first test of the three-match series, Hawkins is optimistic things must get better.

"I might get some sleep tonight - I had about two hours on Monday night," Hawkins told NZPA today.
"We got back after the match, we watched the video, and we're going `oh Jesus'. The sad thing is I even dreamt about it - now that's scary..."
Not even the arrival of playmaking goal attack Pam Cookey, who was unavailable for the Australian leg of the tour, could turn things around for England as the Silver Ferns poured on the pressure right from the first whistle.

"At 8-1 down in the first five minutes, my heart was in my mouth," Hawkins said. "Once you give someone eight goals, you give them their confidence and then you're chasing your tail the whole time."
Hawkins was at a loss to explain why her players failed to fire, but said the Silver Ferns were a class act.
"It was like we were little girls out there, scared of the big Silver Ferns. I don't know why that crept into their game, and into their whole persona.
"When they were playing against Australia, they had this confidence about themselves. We just need to find that again," Hawkins said.
"It's not silly to say the Silver Ferns defence end stepped up and did the job on us. I'm not afraid to say that, but now we need to say `OK, what do we have to do to get that back'?"

Hawkins said video analysis from Monday night's "smacking" would go some way towards setting up an England fightback over the next two tests.
The possible return of key defender Geva Mentor, out with an ankle injury for the first test, would also help.
But Hawkins said the entire team needed to step up and take responsibility for Monday night's effort.
"There were a lot of little minor things, but if everyone's got little minor things happening, all of a sudden there's a snowball effect," she said.
"Everyone's saying if Geva had been there, it would have been a completely different ball game. But she's not worth 40 points - if she was that good, she'd be on a big contract!"
Hawkins said the New Zealand coaching staff had to take a lot of credit for Monday's result.

"They've certainly lifted the level of the Silver Ferns. I know (Australian coach) Norma Plummer was in the stands, and I'm sure she'd be going `oh my God'."
It would be a measure of her players, their resolve and resilience, as to how they bounce back in the second test, and the final match in Palmerston North on Saturday, Hawkins said.
"They hurt last night and they were very disappointed but as I said, we have to bounce back. We have to let it go - we can't change what happened on Monday, but we can address what we're going to do tonight."

http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_site_images/shim.gif

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 15th, 2008, 02:11 AM
The full first test as well as the previous two Australia vs. New Zealand matches are now up on http://tvnz.co.nz/view/sport_sub_cat_skin/sport_netball_index_group

Привет
Oct 18th, 2008, 10:12 AM
England beat NZ in the second test, 40-38.

I'm really not sure what could've caused the upset, especially after such a demoralising defeat only a few days earlier. The only thing I can think of is having Mentor back and having Cookey more acclimatised. But even with those two factors taken into account, I don't think anyone could've predicted such a turnaround.

I really hope England can take the 3rd match. Go England!

And I definitely have to agree, Laura Geitz is the hottest netballer around for mine.

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 20th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Silver Ferns hammer England
http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/sport/netball/ferns_2008/ferns_trophy_d.jpg

A magnificent second quarter blitz paved the way for the Silver Ferns to extract sweet revenge over England in the third and deciding netball Test on Saturday.

The 61-22 win reflected their winning margin of the first Test and came with the team under huge pressure following England's upset win in the second Test on Wednesday.

New Zealand came into the match hurting after England ambushed them 40-38 in Dunedin.

Both teams came out firing, but it was the Silver Ferns who hit a five-goal streak early on to take the lead.

There was more resolve in the centre court despite coach Ruth Aitken's carefully laid plans hitting an unforeseen snag before the match.

Pivotal midcourter Julie Seymour pulled up with an achilles tendon injury in training this morning so Laura Langman took over at centre and also assumed the captaincy.

Maree Bowden consequently started at wing attack, with Liana Barrett-Chase coming in on the bench.

In the other major change, Aitken moved ace shooter Irene van Dyk back to her more favoured goal shoot position with Maria Tutaia starting at goal attack.

In contrast, England coach Sue Hawkins had the luxury of starting with the same seven who did the job for her in Dunedin.

With Langman at her shoulder, Bowden showed real grit and drive, running her heart out for all four quarters.

Van Dyk, after shooting a disappointing 78 percent in the second test, showed her class with the elusive 100 percent game, sinking all 41 of her attempts on goal.

Both teams were guilty of turning over too much possession early on, an indication of some intense midcourt defensive pressure as much as poor handling.

But with the Silver Ferns punching through the midcourt on attack, and with Casey Williams spearheading a ferocious defensive circle effort, the New Zealanders ground out a 14-8 lead at the end of the first quarter.

The news worsened for England in the second spell as New Zealand poured on the pressure, raking up 15 goals on end and keeping England scoreless for more than 10 minutes.

An excellent team through-court zone defence saw the English midcourt become increasingly panic-stricken and patternless.

Their shooters only got the ball four times in the entire 15-minute spell, and managed just two goals to go into the halftime break down 10-36.

Pamela Cookey at goal attack was well shut down, coming off shortly after England scored their first goal of the quarter.

Rachel Dunn came on at goal shoot, while Louisa Brownfield moved out to goal attack.

Halftime saw Hawkins ring the changes, as captain Karen Atkinson moved to centre and Jo Binns came on at wing attack while Clarke moved to wing defence in place of Ama Agbeze.

A slower third quarter, and a more cohesive English midcourt defence, meant New Zealand had to work harder to find their shooters, but they still went in the final stanza ahead 50-16.

Aitken brought on goal attack Paula Griffin for the final quarter, while Leana de Bruin took the court for Sheryl Scanlan and would have been pleased to see the pair slot in with ease.

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 20th, 2008, 02:54 AM
The Ferns played so well. :drool: England on the other hand played so poorly. Even Mentor and Mkoloma had bad games.

Great to see Paula Griffin get a run. Surprised we didn't see more changes though.

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 20th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Now it's another two tests between Australia and New Zealand starting this Sunday in Melbourne, followed by the second test on November 2nd in Brisbane.

Привет
Oct 20th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Oh England. :o That is dreadful. They need to keep at a consistent level. They play great one game and then a couple of days later play like crap. They did it against Australia in the two tests, good in the first, not so in the second, and then against NZ they went bad - good - bad.

I didn't realise the Australia vs NZ tests were coming up so quickly. :) I really hope they're good games.

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Oh England. :o That is dreadful. They need to keep at a consistent level. They play great one game and then a couple of days later play like crap. They did it against Australia in the two tests, good in the first, not so in the second, and then against NZ they went bad - good - bad.

I didn't realise the Australia vs NZ tests were coming up so quickly. :) I really hope they're good games.

England are a great team, but as you said, they fluctuate way too much. Defensively they are fine, with probably the toughest defensive lineup in the world with Mentor - Mkoloma and Agbeze. But on attack they really suffer. Brownfield and Cookey have their moments, but really they have nothing spectacular.

All of this makes the Ferns' second test loss even more :o.

AUS vs. NZL are always awesome games, if not for the quality, but for the physicality. :drool:

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 20th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Cox ruled out of Silver Ferns series
http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/sport/netball/cox_catherine_aus_d.jpg

Veteran shooter Catherine Cox was on Monday ruled out of the looming two-Test netball series against New Zealand. Cox, who missed both recent home Tests against England with an ankle injury, has been diagnosed with a partial ligament tear.
She will seek further advice from her specialist but she's resigned to missing the series against the Silver Ferns.
"It's a bit of a bummer. I've had scans done, but I haven't really recovered, I've got a tear in a ligament," Cox said on Monday.
"I'm going to see a specialist again, but there will be no pushing it for this series."
The injury effectively ends her season, with no more Tests or major domestic tournaments scheduled for the remainder of this year.
Both teams for the series, to be played in Melbourne next Sunday and Brisbane the following Sunday, will be announced on Tuesday.
New Zealand, who recently split a two game home series with Australia will arrive in Melbourne on Thursday.
The Silver Ferns are fresh from a two-one series win over England, who lost both of their Tests to Australia.
With Cox and fellow veteran shooter Sharelle McMahon out of action, Australian coach Norma Plummer is again expected to name a youthful group of shooters for the two New Zealand Tests.

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 20th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Big blow for Australia. But after Kate Beveridge put in an awesome effort in the opening series, they shouldn't struggle too much.

What will be interesting will be who Norma Plummer names as the fourth shooter - Caitlin Basset or Caitlin Thwaites.

Привет
Oct 21st, 2008, 07:13 AM
Either will do. Sadly I doubt they'll get much if any court time with Medhurst, Pratley and Beveridge playing.

Привет
Oct 21st, 2008, 07:20 AM
England are a great team, but as you said, they fluctuate way too much. Defensively they are fine, with probably the toughest defensive lineup in the world with Mentor - Mkoloma and Agbeze. But on attack they really suffer. Brownfield and Cookey have their moments, but really they have nothing spectacular.

All of this makes the Ferns' second test loss even more :o.

AUS vs. NZL are always awesome games, if not for the quality, but for the physicality. :drool:

England are SO strong in defense. I'd even go as far as to say that they're second or maybe even first in the world based on their defensive end alone. With Ellis gone, Australia really rely on Chatfield as GK and normally Gerrard at GD. Mentor and Mkoloma in my opinion are a stronger combination, they're really only bettered by Williams and Scanlan/Henry. The English midcourt are quite good too. They seem to work well against NZ and Australia. I just don't understand why the attacking end is always so unstable for England. Brownfield and Cookey can both play really well in their positions, I don't know what goes wrong. They need to either find better more consistent shooters somewhere in England, or work to make Brownfield/Dunn (and Cookey to an extent) way more consistent and reliable.

All this talk of defense makes me miss Vili Davu. :sobbing:

waratahsrock
Oct 21st, 2008, 11:12 AM
Looking forward to the Aus v NZ match this sunday. Going along to watch and cheer along NZ ofcourse.
Julie Seymour out for NZ will be a big loss

Langers
Oct 21st, 2008, 01:35 PM
Big blow for Australia. But after Kate Beveridge put in an awesome effort in the opening series, they shouldn't struggle too much.

What will be interesting will be who Norma Plummer names as the fourth shooter - Caitlin Basset or Caitlin Thwaites.
It's alright, we still got Geitz. :hearts: :lol:

But yeah Beveridge had a pretty remarkable season and has really made a name for herself of late. Good to see.

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 22nd, 2008, 03:39 AM
England are SO strong in defense. I'd even go as far as to say that they're second or maybe even first in the world based on their defensive end alone. With Ellis gone, Australia really rely on Chatfield as GK and normally Gerrard at GD. Mentor and Mkoloma in my opinion are a stronger combination, they're really only bettered by Williams and Scanlan/Henry. The English midcourt are quite good too. They seem to work well against NZ and Australia. I just don't understand why the attacking end is always so unstable for England. Brownfield and Cookey can both play really well in their positions, I don't know what goes wrong. They need to either find better more consistent shooters somewhere in England, or work to make Brownfield/Dunn (and Cookey to an extent) way more consistent and reliable.

All this talk of defense makes me miss Vili Davu. :sobbing:

I'd definitely agree and say Sonia and Geva are the toughest defensive combination in the world. I believe even Norma Plummer said it as well.

The only combo I see better than this would be a Williams/Gerrard, or Williams/Mkoloma.

All this defensive talk makes me miss Anna Scarlett. :sad:

I was very impressed with the English midcourt. They have great speed and Bayman/Agbeze had good games at WD. But yeah, the shooting circle can really become unstuck at times.

Does anyone know which ANZ Championship team Cookey is apparently involved in talks with I can't find out any info anywhere.

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 22nd, 2008, 03:41 AM
Looking forward to the Aus v NZ match this sunday. Going along to watch and cheer along NZ ofcourse.
Julie Seymour out for NZ will be a big loss

And De Bruin too. (

So Barret-Chase and Wendy Telfer come into the Ferns' team.

The only change for Australia is Basset in for Cox.

I really hope to see Liana out there. She's a great player. (And if Bowden has a bad game we probably will see her.

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 22nd, 2008, 03:43 AM
It's alright, we still got Geitz. :hearts: :lol:

But yeah Beveridge had a pretty remarkable season and has really made a name for herself of late. Good to see.

Beveridge had an amazing season. I remember watching her for the Orioles a few years ago and she looked like nothing special. :shrug:

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:34 AM
o0o0o0 netball :hearts: never seen this thread before......when will the WC be this year???

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:05 AM
o0o0o0 netball :hearts: never seen this thread before......when will the WC be this year???

World Championships? They'll next be held in 2011 in Singapore.

The next major tournament will be the Commonwealth Games in India in 2010.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:35 AM
oh my bad lol....can't follow it that closely since we suck to high heavens in it lol :rolls: thanks :)

Привет
Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:09 AM
I don't know any more information on the Cookey ANZ Championship situation, but I'm really glad to hear she'll be playing over here. In my opinion, there needs to be more international involvement. It's the best non-international (I mean players not playing for their country) competition in the world, and somehow I feel that restricting involvement to mainly Australian and New Zealand players will only widen the gap between the top two nations and everyone else.

Here's hoping Aiken comes back to Queensland. A couple other Jamaican players could really slot into the competition well too. Mentor is apparently staying with Adelaide, but I haven't heard anything on whether Mkoloma will be playing again with the Pulse. There is already a fair amount of international involvement, but I feel that maybe an extra team from Australia and from New Zealand would allow for players from many other Netball countries (South Africa, Malawi, Fiji, even some promising players from Asian countries like Singapore) to play in the ANZ Championship.

Pleased to hear that Basset is in for Australia. But I've never heard of Barret-Chase and Telfer. Are they young Kiwis?

Привет
Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:36 AM
Just to back up my above post, I just thought I'd post a list of some players who I think should really be playing in the ANZ Championship, and who I'd really love to see playing. Feel free to let me know whether you agree/disagree, and of any other players you think of too.

FIJI
Taraima Rara
Mere Rabuka

MALAWI
Mary Waya

SOUTH AFRICA
Sindi Gumede
Simnikiwe Malusi
Nthabiseng Moabi
Claudia Basson

JAMAICA
Simone Forbes

Привет
Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:42 AM
Southern Steel have their 2009 squad announced already, although apparently it may not be completely finalised.

Daneka Wipiiti, Wilkins, Julianna Naoupu, Te Huinga Reo Selby-Rickit, Adine Wilson, Liana Barrett-Chase, Wendy Telfer, Erika Burgess, Sheryl Scanlan, Katrina Grant and Megan Hutton.

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/news/stories/200810/s2384048.htm?tab=sport

More random discussion here, but has anyone else noticed that Fever and Vixens, and Steel and Mystics uniforms are way too similar? In the case of West Coast and Melbourne, the only real difference is that the green and red are switched. I would think that teams would want to have a completely distinct uniform to really try and create a brand for their franchise. :shrug:

Привет
Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
It doesn't seem to anything official, but this article says that Cookey may play with Melbourne.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/netball/news/article.cfm?c_id=69&objectid=10537149&ref=rss

Mr.Kardashian
Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
does anyone here play? there are tryouts for the NSW mens team in blacktown, sydney this sunday

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
I don't know any more information on the Cookey ANZ Championship situation, but I'm really glad to hear she'll be playing over here. In my opinion, there needs to be more international involvement. It's the best non-international (I mean players not playing for their country) competition in the world, and somehow I feel that restricting involvement to mainly Australian and New Zealand players will only widen the gap between the top two nations and everyone else.

Here's hoping Aiken comes back to Queensland. A couple other Jamaican players could really slot into the competition well too. Mentor is apparently staying with Adelaide, but I haven't heard anything on whether Mkoloma will be playing again with the Pulse. There is already a fair amount of international involvement, but I feel that maybe an extra team from Australia and from New Zealand would allow for players from many other Netball countries (South Africa, Malawi, Fiji, even some promising players from Asian countries like Singapore) to play in the ANZ Championship.

Pleased to hear that Basset is in for Australia. But I've never heard of Barret-Chase and Telfer. Are they young Kiwis?

Liana and Wendy are both 24. I was extremely surprised not to see Liana named in the side earlier. IMO she's the future starting WA with Langman at C.

She's very short and fast. It was hilarious to see her line up in the third test against England for the national anthems with Casey Williams and Leana De Bruin beside her. Liana didn't even make their shoulders. :lol:

I could see a team from Singapore entering the competition soon, just like in the NBL. Singapore is poring a lot of money into Netball and it's really growing. Their national comp and tests against Malaysia always have great crowds.

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Just to back up my above post, I just thought I'd post a list of some players who I think should really be playing in the ANZ Championship, and who I'd really love to see playing. Feel free to let me know whether you agree/disagree, and of any other players you think of too.

FIJI
Taraima Rara
Mere Rabuka

MALAWI
Mary Waya

SOUTH AFRICA
Sindi Gumede
Simnikiwe Malusi
Nthabiseng Moabi
Claudia Basson

JAMAICA
Simone Forbes

Mary Waya retired. :( But she was such a great, fun player to watch.

I was surprised nobody went for Gumede. I thought a NZL franchise like the Pulse or Tactix would have pikcked her up for the 08 season when you look at their shooting stocks. (Tactix after they lost Jodi Brown.)

Forbes is another player I love watching. So fast and great hands. Would be great to see her playing.

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:15 PM
Southern Steel have their 2009 squad announced already, although apparently it may not be completely finalised.

Daneka Wipiiti, Wilkins, Julianna Naoupu, Te Huinga Reo Selby-Rickit, Adine Wilson, Liana Barrett-Chase, Wendy Telfer, Erika Burgess, Sheryl Scanlan, Katrina Grant and Megan Hutton.

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/news/stories/200810/s2384048.htm?tab=sport

More random discussion here, but has anyone else noticed that Fever and Vixens, and Steel and Mystics uniforms are way too similar? In the case of West Coast and Melbourne, the only real difference is that the green and red are switched. I would think that teams would want to have a completely distinct uniform to really try and create a brand for their franchise. :shrug:

Here's what I've gathered about line-ups for the 09 season. (Official lists come out first week of November)

West Coast Fever
Outs - Larissa Wilcox to Tactix.

Adelaide Thunderbirds
Ins -Jane Altschwager, Laura Von Bertouch
Outs - Kirsten Hughes (demoted it said :o ), Alex Clarke - retired.
Beveridge, Medhurst, N. Von Bertouch, Reddy, Gerrard and Mentor still all there.

Melbourne Vixens
Ins - Pamela Cookey (??)
Outs - Abby Sargeant (retired)

NSW Swifts
:shrug:

Queensland Firebirds
Outs - Joanne Morgan to Tactix, Katie Walker
Looks like Aiken and Greenway are still there from an article I read.

Northern Mystics
Ins - Debbie White from Steel.
Outs - Paula Griffin to Pulse, De Bruin to Magic, and Scanlan to Steel.

Central Pulse
Ins - Paula Griffin from Mystics, and Jamaican defender Althea Byfield.
Outs - Sonia Mkoloma to ??, and Frances Solia to Magic.

Waikato BOP Magic
Ins - Leana De Bruin from Mystics, Frances Solia from Pulse.

Southern Steel
Ins - Donna Wilkins, Adine Wilson back from having a baby and Sheryl Scanlan from Mystics.
Outs - Debbie White to Mystics, Megan Dehn to ??.

Tactix
Ins - Joanne Morgan from Tactix, Larissa Wilcox from Fever.

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:22 PM
It looks as though Mkoloma is signing with an Australian team. I doubt it would be the Vixens or Thunderbirds because their defense is already stacked. My tip would be the Swifts.

The Magic and Steel are really loading their teams. No other Kiwi team is going to get close to them.

So awesome to see Donna back playing. :hearts:

Langers
Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Adelaide Thunderbirds
Outs - Kirsten Hughes (demoted it said :o )
Beveridge, Medhurst, N. Von Bertouch, Reddy, Gerrard and Mentor still all there.

That would be a real shame if Hughes is gone. Didn't she play for, or was at least in the Aus squad at one stage? She had a great 2007/08 season, started out poorly last season and Beveridge just took her spot and ran with it.

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
That would be a real shame if Hughes is gone. Didn't she play for, or was at least in the Aus squad at one stage? She had a great 2007/08 season, started out poorly last season and Beveridge just took her spot and ran with it.

Yeah, at one point she was in the Australian squad and I'm pretty sure did get a cap for Australia at some stage.

I don't know why Jane Woodlands didn't give her a chance. Jane Altschwager is back so maybe Hughes went across to the Fever where she could get much more court time.

Langers
Oct 22nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah, at one point she was in the Australian squad and I'm pretty sure did get a cap for Australia at some stage.

I don't know why Jane Woodlands didn't give her a chance. Jane Altschwager is back so maybe Hughes went across to the Fever where she could get much more court time.
Thanks, knew I wasn't making it up. :p

She's too good a player to be without a home, she'll end up somewhere.

Привет
Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Mary Waya retired. :( But she was such a great, fun player to watch.

I was surprised nobody went for Gumede. I thought a NZL franchise like the Pulse or Tactix would have pikcked her up for the 08 season when you look at their shooting stocks. (Tactix after they lost Jodi Brown.)

Forbes is another player I love watching. So fast and great hands. Would be great to see her playing.
:( I never heard about Mary retiring. Oh well, she was getting on really when you think about it. :) I hope it doesn't result in Malawi dropping down the rankings. For them to be at 5th in the world is very impressive, which is why I think they should try and get some of their players over into the ANZ Championship.

I agree. Surely one of the NZ teams who were down the bottom of the ladder for the 08 season would want to try to bolster their teams with some players who they know are experienced and good players. It worked for Queensland with Aiken last season. :shrug:
Here's what I've gathered about line-ups for the 09 season. (Official lists come out first week of November)

West Coast Fever
Outs - Larissa Wilcox to Tactix.

Adelaide Thunderbirds
Outs - Kirsten Hughes (demoted it said :o ), Alex Clarke - retired.

Melbourne Vixens
Ins - Pamela Cookey (??)
Outs - Abby Sargeant (retired)

NSW Swifts
:shrug:

Queensland Firebirds
Outs - Joanne Morgan to Tactix, Katie Walker
Looks like Aiken and Greenway are still there from an article I read.

Northern Mystics
Ins - Debbie White from Steel.
Outs - Paula Griffin to Pulse, De Bruin to Magic, and Scanlan to Steel.

Central Pulse
Ins - Paula Griffin from Mystics, and Jamaican defender Althea Byfield.
Outs - Sonia Mkoloma to ??, and Frances Solia to Magic.

Waikato BOP Magic
Ins - Leana De Bruin from Mystics, Frances Solia from Pulse.

Southern Steel
Ins - Donna Wilkins, Adine Wilson back from having a baby and Sheryl Scanlan from Mystics.
Outs - Debbie White to Mystics, Megan Dehn to ??.

Tactix
Ins - Joanne Morgan from Tactix, Larissa Wilcox from Fever.
I know other people and myself will be really glad to see Morgan moving from Queensland. She's a great player and it was unfortunate that with Aiken around she had very limited court time at GS. I'm not sure about whether Rachel Dunn is staying with the Tactix for 09, but hopefully Jo can become their starting GS next year. :)

Good to see another Jamaican signed. :) Good for Byfield. Hopefully more will join her once the final lists are released.
It looks as though Mkoloma is signing with an Australian team. I doubt it would be the Vixens or Thunderbirds because their defense is already stacked. My tip would be the Swifts.

The Magic and Steel are really loading their teams. No other Kiwi team is going to get close to them.

So awesome to see Donna back playing. :hearts:
Sonia Mkoloma playing for NSW would be great. I hope that happens, I can't really see her slotting into any other Australian team as easily or as well.

Waikato BOP are almost going to be unbeatable. :eek:

---

So far there is only one more international player named: Byfield from Jamaica.
There's just so much talent from other countries that should really be in this competition. I think for the sake of developing netball into a more international sport, there should be some kind of rule that states that each franchise must sign at least 2 international players each season, or something like that. It wouldn't be as if the teams would struggle finding someone to slot into their squad, there's PLENTY of talent out there from countries other than Aus and NZ.

Привет
Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Another random note: with the loss of Walker, Queensland should sign some African midcourters like Moabi and Malusi. :yeah:

I remember watching them in a test series against Australia years ago. They're not bad.

Mr.Kardashian
Oct 23rd, 2008, 01:29 AM
WHAAT! Adelaide - jane is playing again? and laura?! i dont believe that. and jo playing for tactix ? :( @ least she'll get court time i guess.

Привет
Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:13 AM
:o I had forgotten all about the stupid limits that are put on the amount of International players teams are allowed to place in their squad.

Current English coach Sue Hawkins really does sum up my viewpoint on this issue in this article.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaynews/4724136a15599.html

Let's let talent be the judge of whether Australian and New Zealand players should be placed into teams in the ANZ Championship. There shouldn't be a rule allowing them to play and not others from other countries just to 'develop' the game in this area of the world. What about developing the game elsewhere, where they are training their arses off to try and challenge the top 2 teams? The aim of EVERYONE should be to develop netball as a world game. This ruling just works to stop this. It limits the possibilities of international players and teams improving their standard more than it nurtures homegrown talent.

If anything, the rule should be changed to force teams to sign at least 2 internationals, as I said before when I'd forgotten about this rule. Otherwise Australia and New Zealand will continue to flaw all other countries other than Jamaica and England into the ground whenever they meet.

Mr.Kardashian
Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
well said james :)

waratahsrock
Oct 26th, 2008, 09:20 PM
NZL 46 def. Aus 41 :worship:
Considering we were down by 9 goals at one point in the first quarter that is a great comeback. Really ugly first quarter by us, and the Aus shooters were on fire at that stage which didn't help us.
Casey Williams :worship: :hearts:

Mr.Kardashian
Oct 26th, 2008, 11:32 PM
damn kiwis ;)

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 4th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Australia won the second test 43-41 in Brisbane on Sunday.

New Zealand won the series all up but a pretty disappointing way to finish the year. :( Could've gotten it back even twice with two minutes to go but coughed the ball up.

The ANZ teams will be released on Thursday. I wonder where Mkoloma will end up?

Привет
Nov 6th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I forgot all about that! I'm gonna check it out now. :)

Привет
Nov 6th, 2008, 08:40 PM
AUSTRALIAN TEAMS

Adelaide Thunderbirds

1. Jane Altschwager
2. Emily Beaton
3. Georgia Beaton
4. Kate Beveridge
5. Mo’onia Gerrard
6. Natalie Medhurst
7. Geva Mentor
8. Bianca Reddy
9. Joanne Sutton
10. Laura von Bertouch
11. Natalie von Bertouch
12. Sheree Wingard

Melbourne Vixens

1. Ama Agbeze (Visa pending)
2. Bianca Chatfield
3. Natasha Chokljat
4. Renae Hallinan
5. Ashlee Howard
6. Wendy Jacobsen
7. Kathleen Knott
8. Sharelle McMahon
9. Chelsey Nash
10. Julie Prendergast
11. Brooke Thompson
12. Caitlin Thwaites

NSW Swifts

1. Catherine Cox
2. Susan Pratley
3. Vanessa Ware
4. Kimberlee Green
5. Kimberly Purcell
6. Emma Koster
7. Erin Bell
8. Rebecca Bulley
9. Samantha May
10. Amy Wild
11. Sarah Barrett
12. Jessica Mansell

Queensland Firebirds

1. Romelda Aiken
2. Laura Geitz
3. Clare McMeniman
4. Lauren Nourse
5. Peta Stephens
6. Keirra Trompf
7. Janelle Lawson
8. Demelza Fellowes
9. Jenny O`Connor
10. Alissa Castrisos
11. Megan Dehn

West Coast Fever

1. Caitlin Basset
2. Emma Beckett
3. Shae Bolton
4. Madison Browne
5. Johannah Curran
6. Bianca Franklin
7. Susan Fuhrmann
8. Andrea Gilmore
9. Josie Janz
10. Jasmine Keene
11. Stacey Rosman
12. Nikala Smith

NEW ZEALAND TEAMS

Northern Mystics

1. Temepara George
2. Jade Topia
3. Grace Rasmussen
4. Rachel Rasmussen
5. Stephanie Bond
6. Rawinia Everitt
7. Cathrine Latu (Note 1)
8. Debbie White
9. Vilimaina Davu (Note 2)
10. Keshia Grant
11. Finau Pulu
12. Pamela Cookey

Note 1: Subject to approval of IFNA for International Eligibility by 1/04/09

Note 2: Subject to successful application of NZ Citizenship by 1/04/09

Waikato/BOP Magic

1. Leana de Bruin
2. Joline Henry
3. Laura Langman
4. Halana Leith
5. Nicola Pettit
6. Elias Shadrock
7. Frances Solia
8. Jodi Tod
9. Jess Tuki
10. Maria Tutaia
11. Irene van Dyk
12. Casey Williams

Central Pulse *

* The Central Pulse has been granted an extension of 20 working days in order to finalise their playing roster.

Canterbury Tactix

1. Ellen Halpenny
2. Sonia Mkoloma
3. Anna Thompson
4. Maree Bowden
5. Julie Seymour
6. Phillipa Finch
7. Larrissa Wilcox
8. Victoria Smith
9. Kahurangi Waititi
10. Charlotte Kight
11. Jodi Brown

Southern Steel

1. Daneka Wipiiti
2. Donna Wilkins
3. Julianna Naoupu
4. Adine Wilson
5. Liana Barrett-Chase
6. Wendy Telfer
7. Sheryl Scanlan
8. Erika Burgess
9. Katrina Grant
10. Megan Hutton
11. Te Huinga Reo Selby-Rickit

Привет
Nov 6th, 2008, 08:50 PM
:unsure:

Some of these lists are crazy. What is Dehn doing playing for Queensland? I guess with no Greenway she might see a little more court time, but I would think that Aiken/Lawson would be first choice shooting selection seeing as though they've already played together for a season.

Cookey for Mystics? Did not see that coming. :lol: Mkoloma for Tactix? Same thing, did not expect that to happen at all. :lol:

There's no Morgan on the Tactix list, although there are only 11 players listed, so maybe there's still some work to be done before it can be made more official. I really hope Jo doesn't miss out. Besides, Apart from Brown, Tactix are really missing another strong shooter.

West Coast Fever are looking a little lack lustre. :(

Demelza and Romelda in the Firebirds squad! :yeah: I knew Aiken would probably be back, but I had no idea Fellowes was coming back over to play in Australia. She'll have to tussle with Geitz to get a play at GK, but I trust she'll get some court time.

I can't say the same for Dehn though. :shrug: Aiken will not be moved from GS, so that leaves Lawson, Dehn and also the young Castrisos fighting for GA. Personally, I'd put Lawson there. So the other two might find themselves wishing they'd signed somewhere else. :shrug:

Привет
Nov 6th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Another thing, at first glance, I'm disappointed with the Swifts, Steel and Fever for not signing any overseas players.

It should be compulsory for all franchises to sign at least 2 non-Australia/NZ players in order to broaden the game.

Привет
Nov 6th, 2008, 08:56 PM
And only 11 players listed for Firebirds, Steel and Tactix. :scratch:

Surely Jo Morgan is the 12th player for Tactix, but I have no idea who the other two teams have not named. I hope some overseas players! ;) Steel could use a decent shooter from Jamaica/South Africa/Malawi/Fiji. ;) And an African midcourter wouldn't go astray up at the Firebirds.

Mr.Kardashian
Nov 8th, 2008, 07:18 AM
no dehn playing for QLD is fantastic - she is perfect for supporting aitken.

no jo morgan :( she better be playing....

and swifts ;(

Привет
Nov 8th, 2008, 08:32 AM
There are tons of news articles about the selections for next years Championships. Google News search. ;)

As far as I can tell, Morgan is not listed because Tactix chose to sign Mkoloma. She then took up their 1 international quota, and now Tactix have sent a request to Netball New Zealand asking they be able to sign Morgan as well. It really is not looking good for Jo though. :(

Both Netball New Zealand and Netball Australia need to pull their heads out of their arses regarding this limit on international players. If it ends up that we have Morgan, a seasoned professional who should easily be playing as a starting GS in any franchise, without a home for 09 because of their ridiculous rules, there will be a lot of unhappy people.

Another issue related to this is Latu having to say that she is available to play as a Silverfern to be able to play with the Mystics. That is incredibly unfair on her. They are basically asking her to sign away her international career. Being selected into the NZ team will be virtually impossible for her with van Dyk and Tutaia around. I'm sure she feels very proud whenever she has played for Samoa, and she shouldn't be denied the oppurtunity to compete at World Championships and other international competitions in the future simply because of this rule.

There are also MAJOR problems with the Pulse at the moment. Again, google news search for more info. ;)

Mr.Kardashian
Nov 8th, 2008, 08:41 AM
jo is one of the most entertaining players i HOPE she can play.

and the poor pulse have lost their 2 best players - solia to magic who wont get any court time and of course mkloma...

watch this space ;)

Привет
Nov 8th, 2008, 08:47 AM
The poor Pulse have also lost their sponsor, and numerous members of their coaching staff, as well as any hope of bettering on their 08 performance (in my opinion). :(

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 10th, 2008, 03:36 AM
:unsure:

Some of these lists are crazy. What is Dehn doing playing for Queensland? I guess with no Greenway she might see a little more court time, but I would think that Aiken/Lawson would be first choice shooting selection seeing as though they've already played together for a season.

Cookey for Mystics? Did not see that coming. :lol: Mkoloma for Tactix? Same thing, did not expect that to happen at all. :lol:

There's no Morgan on the Tactix list, although there are only 11 players listed, so maybe there's still some work to be done before it can be made more official. I really hope Jo doesn't miss out. Besides, Apart from Brown, Tactix are really missing another strong shooter.

West Coast Fever are looking a little lack lustre. :(

Demelza and Romelda in the Firebirds squad! :yeah: I knew Aiken would probably be back, but I had no idea Fellowes was coming back over to play in Australia. She'll have to tussle with Geitz to get a play at GK, but I trust she'll get some court time.

I can't say the same for Dehn though. :shrug: Aiken will not be moved from GS, so that leaves Lawson, Dehn and also the young Castrisos fighting for GA. Personally, I'd put Lawson there. So the other two might find themselves wishing they'd signed somewhere else. :shrug:

I was surprised to see Dehn in the Firebirds too. But apparently Netball New Zealand deemed her as an import for the Steel and rejected her application to play because they want that fourth Steel shooter to be a young New Zealander. :retard:

Fellowes can play GD, teaming up with Geitz at GK. That'll be some defensive line.

Cookey should've signed with the Tactix or Pulse. The Mystics already have Latu, Topia and Grace Rasmussen. So just like last season their shooting circle will change every match.

Mkoloma really has strengthened the Tactix with Fellowes and Manu gone. (I wonder if Manu is with the Pulse?). I really hope the Tactix try and get Jo Morgan. I mean, the Fever and Firebirds were granted two imports last season so I don't see why Netball NZ is being so strict about imports. The shooting stocks in NZ are really low, so giving a chance to some young random isn't going to help the club. Plus, Morgan is a fantastic shooter, and when Brown comes back from having a baby, the Tactix could really be a force with Morgan-Brown-Bowden-Seymour-Finch-Mkoloma and Waititi/Smith.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 10th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Another thing, at first glance, I'm disappointed with the Swifts, Steel and Fever for not signing any overseas players.

It should be compulsory for all franchises to sign at least 2 non-Australia/NZ players in order to broaden the game.

I was surprised at the Swifts team. I think they don't realise what a hole Gilsenan will leave at WD. Their only hope of going back-to-back is Cox and Pratley constantly scoring 60+ because defensively they are not up there with Magic, Vixens, T-Birds and even the Firebirds.

The Fever. :o There only hope of winning a game will be against the Pulse. (Or Mystics who knows how they'll perform.)

The Steel side is loaded. I don't see any room for a decent import. Wipiiti, Wilkins and Naopou shooting, Wilson at WA, Barret-Chase/Telfer at C, Burgess/Scanlan/Telfer at WD, Scanlan/Grant at GD and Grant/Hutton at GK. They are really going to be the dark horses.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 10th, 2008, 03:59 AM
There are tons of news articles about the selections for next years Championships. Google News search. ;)

As far as I can tell, Morgan is not listed because Tactix chose to sign Mkoloma. She then took up their 1 international quota, and now Tactix have sent a request to Netball New Zealand asking they be able to sign Morgan as well. It really is not looking good for Jo though. :(

Both Netball New Zealand and Netball Australia need to pull their heads out of their arses regarding this limit on international players. If it ends up that we have Morgan, a seasoned professional who should easily be playing as a starting GS in any franchise, without a home for 09 because of their ridiculous rules, there will be a lot of unhappy people.

Another issue related to this is Latu having to say that she is available to play as a Silverfern to be able to play with the Mystics. That is incredibly unfair on her. They are basically asking her to sign away her international career. Being selected into the NZ team will be virtually impossible for her with van Dyk and Tutaia around. I'm sure she feels very proud whenever she has played for Samoa, and she shouldn't be denied the oppurtunity to compete at World Championships and other international competitions in the future simply because of this rule.

There are also MAJOR problems with the Pulse at the moment. Again, google news search for more info. ;)

I know, it's pretty unfair for Jo. Seriously NNZ really needs to get their heads outta the sand and stop with all this ''an import will be taking a place from a young Kiwi.'' Did they not see the Pulse team in 2008?

These young girls can learn more from training against their team mates than going out and getting pummeled week in week out. Look at Halana Leith at the Magic. Every week she got to train with Van Dyk and Tutaia and practice against Casey Williams. At this point in their careers it's better to learn with the best than to play against the best week in, week out.

Tough situation for Latu as well. :( I wonder what she'll decide. I think if she had some assuring that she would make the Ferns squad, then she'd commit. I hope she does, she's a great shooter and plays a Van Dyk-like game better than Wipiiti, which is what I think New Zealand is trying to get out of Wipiiti.

And of course with Cookey already as the Mystics import, if she doesnt commit to the Ferns, she'll probably be out.

Funny to see Vili Davu applying for New Zealand citizenship so that she can secure her place in the team.

The Pulse. :unsure: Pretty unsettling time for them. I can't believe they got rid of Carpenter, and Jill McIntosh. Seriously, do they know who Jill is? :o It's all about money though, and I suppose they need to make sacrifices.

The Tactix are now trying to get Paula Griffin. And there's doubt that Althea Byfield won't play either.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 10th, 2008, 04:06 AM
And only 11 players listed for Firebirds, Steel and Tactix. :scratch:

Surely Jo Morgan is the 12th player for Tactix, but I have no idea who the other two teams have not named. I hope some overseas players! ;) Steel could use a decent shooter from Jamaica/South Africa/Malawi/Fiji. ;) And an African midcourter wouldn't go astray up at the Firebirds.

The Steel needs a shooter? The Wipiiti-Wilkins combination is going to be extremely strong (and tall).

If Donna Wilkins and Temepara George made themselves available for the Ferns at last years WNC, things could have gone so differently. :(

Why on earth did the Firebirds get rid of Katie Walker? I agree they could probably have recruited better in that department.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 10th, 2008, 04:10 AM
jo is one of the most entertaining players i HOPE she can play.

and the poor pulse have lost their 2 best players - solia to magic who wont get any court time and of course mkloma...

watch this space ;)

Solia will definitely get court time at the Magic. With Metcalfe retired they needed a WA and they got one of the best on NZ.

I feel for the Pulse. They lost Solia and Mkoloma, signed Girffin and Byfield for 09, and now that could fall through. :(

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 10th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Looking at the teams at the moment, who would you guys predict as favourites?

Mine would be :-

1- Waikato BOP Magic
2- Adelaide Thunderbirds
3- Melbourne Vixens
4- Southern Steel
5- NSW Swifts
6- Canterbury Tactix
7- Queensland Firebirds
8- Northern Mystics
9- West Coast Fever
10- Cental Pulse

Mr.Kardashian
Nov 10th, 2008, 08:42 AM
magic always the favs on paper but u know... they wont win.

thunderbirds and vixens look strong and im really liking the firebirds with megan dehn actually....

u cant rule the swifts out with their supercoach but i doubt they will be as successful this season.

Привет
Nov 11th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Firebirds at 7th? No way. I'm incredibly biased seeing as though I'm a Queenslander and the Firebirds are my team, but they're not going to finish at 7th out of 10 teams.

Aiken is a sure thing to slot a large number of goals per game, and with a defensive line of Geitz/Fellowes/Stephens, they're going to be tough to beat IMO. Their midcourt is lacking slightly, but they still have an Australian representative in there to hold things together.

Mr.Kardashian
Nov 11th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Firebirds at 7th? No way. I'm incredibly biased seeing as though I'm a Queenslander and the Firebirds are my team, but they're not going to finish at 7th out of 10 teams.

Aiken is a sure thing to slot a large number of goals per game, and with a defensive line of Geitz/Fellowes/Stephens, they're going to be tough to beat IMO. Their midcourt is lacking slightly, but they still have an Australian representative in there to hold things together.

:worship: they would be about 5th in my opinion

Привет
Nov 11th, 2008, 07:56 AM
1 - Magic
2 - Thunderbirds
3 - Vixens
4 - Firebirds
5 - Steel
6 - Tactix
7 - Swifts
8 - Mystics
9 - Fever
10 - Pulse

Firebirds and Steel could have been switched around, but I put QLD at 4th because I'm biased. ;) I think NSW will be the team that doesn't live up to their performance this season. If Tactix can get Morgan or Griffin then they field Seymour, Mkoloma, Morgan/Griffin, Bowden, and Brown. In comparison, NSW have Cox, Pratley, and Green. No one else from their roster stands out. :shrug: If all goes well for the Mystics, then they will have George, Cookey, Davu and Latu in their side. That's a pretty good team, but aside from Cookey, they had those players this season and still had a pretty poor placing overall. I don't see them going higher than around 7th unfortunately.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Interestingly Tamsin Greenway has been cleared to play for the Firebirds in 2009. This means they have 5 shooters. :eek:

The Mystics have confirmed Davu and Latu. So I guess that means we could see Catherine playing for the Ferns very soon.

Althea Byfield has also confirmed she will still be playing for the Pulse. Also apparently Kate Carpenter is seeking legal advice about her sacking.

And internationally Toyota has confirmed they will still be supporting Netball in Malawi and gave out prizemoney at the recent Malawi national champs.

The Asian U21 champions Sri Lanka will not be competing in next years World Youth Cup, because their governing body forgot to pay the tournament fee. :o

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 11th, 2008, 12:12 PM
magic always the favs on paper but u know... they wont win.

thunderbirds and vixens look strong and im really liking the firebirds with megan dehn actually....

u cant rule the swifts out with their supercoach but i doubt they will be as successful this season.

I know, the Magic look like a powerhouse but will somehow find a way to probably finish second again. :sad:

I'm really liking the T-Birds lineup. Laura Von Bertouch coming back adds so much more to the midcourt.

I totally wrote the Swifts off in 2008 so it's hard to for 2009. But I agree, I highly doubt they'll be anywhere near successful as they were in 2008.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 11th, 2008, 12:15 PM

:p

I guess I was a little hopeful that the Tactix would finish above the Firebirds. The only way I coould see this happening is if Jo Morgan is allowed to play. If she's not, the Tactix will have to rely on Brown to be ready by the start of the season.

But why did the Firebirds sign Greenway again? I think she's a good player but not as this level. If they wanted another shooting import, why not get Brownfield?

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 11th, 2008, 12:19 PM
1 - Magic
2 - Thunderbirds
3 - Vixens
4 - Firebirds
5 - Steel
6 - Tactix
7 - Swifts
8 - Mystics
9 - Fever
10 - Pulse

Firebirds and Steel could have been switched around, but I put QLD at 4th because I'm biased. ;) I think NSW will be the team that doesn't live up to their performance this season. If Tactix can get Morgan or Griffin then they field Seymour, Mkoloma, Morgan/Griffin, Bowden, and Brown. In comparison, NSW have Cox, Pratley, and Green. No one else from their roster stands out. :shrug: If all goes well for the Mystics, then they will have George, Cookey, Davu and Latu in their side. That's a pretty good team, but aside from Cookey, they had those players this season and still had a pretty poor placing overall. I don't see them going higher than around 7th unfortunately.

I agree with you about the Mystics. Their my second favorite team and I (like pretty much everyone else) expected huge things from them in 2008. :sad:
So I agree that they will probably struggle again having lost Griffin, De Bruin, Scanlan, Yates and Yvonne Willering. Defensively they won't even come close to being as competitive as they were this year, which will put even more pressure on the shooters and look how Latu and Topia coped with it in 2008. :o

Привет
Nov 12th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Greenway is a GA/WA player, so I would be willing to bet that QLD plan to use her at WA for most of her court time. Which I personally think is a good move. One of the franchises should've got Brownfield though. :shrug: Tactix got Dunn last year, and from what I've seen from both, Louisa is miles in front of Rachel.

Привет
Nov 14th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Tactix are going to appeal the decision to not allow Morgan to join their squad. It really is not looking good for Jo. If NNZ have any brains at all they'll let her play, for sure. If there was a young NZ shooter to give the position to, then she would've been given the position already. New Zealand's netball supremacy will not go down the drain because Jo Morgan played for Tactix. I mean, seriously, get it together!

Привет
Nov 21st, 2008, 02:16 AM
Still no decision released about Morgan. :rolleyes: If they deny her the chance to play, they are morons.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 21st, 2008, 02:33 AM
Surely we'll hear something soon. :(

I agree if NNZ refuse Morgan to play, then :weirdo:.

Jamaica also won the tri-series with South Africa and Trinidad & Tobago. South Africa finished second, and were very competitive in the final against a full strength Jamaica.

Привет
Nov 21st, 2008, 11:55 PM
Good on the South African girls. It's a new look national side for them. I'm not sure whether that means that players like Gumede, Moabi, Malusi, Venter, Senekal and others are now retired or whether they just weren't available for that particular tour. I like many of them so I hope they're still playing. :(

Привет
Nov 27th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Still no decision on Morgan. :rolleyes: I just have a feeling she's going to be left out in the dark. :( She's so good! It would be the absolute wrong decision.

Central Pulse are to release their team lineup this Monday. Griffin should stay with Pulse. I don't want her to go to Tactix because that means that Morgan will definitely lose out.

Привет
Dec 8th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Jo Morgan was denied the chance to play for the Canterbury Tactix. :fiery:

Instead Tactix get (in comparison to Morgan) sucky New Zealander, Angela Mitchell. :bigclap:

I've never even heard of her. NNZ are supposed to allow a team an international player if that player is of a significant higher standard than any other local players available.

I don't think anyone can argue that Morgan is not miles ahead of Mitchell in basically every aspect of being a shooter. :shrug: So this clearly shows that NNZ are biased, and that the handling of international player rules should be controlled by the ANZ Championship, and not Netball Australia and NNZ.

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 9th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Jo Morgan was denied the chance to play for the Canterbury Tactix. :fiery:

Instead Tactix get (in comparison to Morgan) sucky New Zealander, Angela Mitchell. :bigclap:

I've never even heard of her. NNZ are supposed to allow a team an international player if that player is of a significant higher standard than any other local players available.

I don't think anyone can argue that Morgan is not miles ahead of Mitchell in basically every aspect of being a shooter. :shrug: So this clearly shows that NNZ are biased, and that the handling of international player rules should be controlled by the ANZ Championship, and not Netball Australia and NNZ.

It really sucks for Jo. :(

Mitchell was a fern a few years ago, but it's certainly safe to say she's passed her prime and Thompson will be getting 99% of the court time at GA.

What I don't get is how NNZ say they want to blood young players, yet they let the Tactix sign Mitchell. :retard: What's the difference between Mitchell and Morgan? I mean apart from the nationality and Jo being a much better shooter.

The Tactix could have been a real force and even challenged for a top 4 place with a Morgan/Brown/Thompson circle. But instead they'll finish near abouts where they did in 08.

Also the Steel are still struggling to find a fourth shooter. They've been rejected 3 times. :tape: With Dehn, Avellino and Shoard all being denied. Natalie still lives in Invercargill, and led Southland to the Scottswood Trust title this year so I'm extremely surprised they didn't let her play.

Seriously NNZ is just :weirdo:.

Have you heard about this new 20/20 like Netball format? A 6 nation championship will be held in Manchester next year with games I think being 4 x 7 minute quarters and coaches having an option to designate a quarter where every goal will be doubled. o

Mr.Kardashian
Dec 9th, 2008, 03:28 AM
yeah i read that - i really think the "powerplay" is a ridiculous idea though :(

Привет
Dec 9th, 2008, 10:48 AM
It really sucks for Jo. :(

Mitchell was a fern a few years ago, but it's certainly safe to say she's passed her prime and Thompson will be getting 99% of the court time at GA.

What I don't get is how NNZ say they want to blood young players, yet they let the Tactix sign Mitchell. :retard: What's the difference between Mitchell and Morgan? I mean apart from the nationality and Jo being a much better shooter.

The Tactix could have been a real force and even challenged for a top 4 place with a Morgan/Brown/Thompson circle. But instead they'll finish near abouts where they did in 08.

Also the Steel are still struggling to find a fourth shooter. They've been rejected 3 times. :tape: With Dehn, Avellino and Shoard all being denied. Natalie still lives in Invercargill, and led Southland to the Scottswood Trust title this year so I'm extremely surprised they didn't let her play.

Seriously NNZ is just :weirdo:.

Have you heard about this new 20/20 like Netball format? A 6 nation championship will be held in Manchester next year with games I think being 4 x 7 minute quarters and coaches having an option to designate a quarter where every goal will be doubled. o

Tactix could have been very dangerous in 09 with Mkoloma, Brown, Seymour and Morgan, but they're kidding themselves if they think they're going anywhere now. :o

Steel should just sign an ancient NZ player like the Tactix did! Apparently that's all that NNZ will allow teams to include in their roster to play in THE BEST NETBALL COMPETITION IN THE WORLD. :o :o :o Honestly, if every single member of NNZ is not hanging their head in shame right now, it just goes to show that they really are deluded.

The competition in Manchester looks good, and is a great step forward, but some of the ideas are just absolutely ridiculous. I mean it's not even netball anymore. :o 7 minute quarters? :o Double points for goals? :o Please, I could probably be competitive in the Samoan team with these rules. :o

The netballers in the top 6 nations in the world are serious athletes. Shorter quarters and doubling points trivialises the sport and those who play it. These women are tough, strong, and talented. Let them show their stuff for a full 60 minutes as usual, not for a "blink and you miss it" sideshow game.

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 11th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Leah Shoard was just cleared by NNZ to play for the Steel under ''special circumstances.''

:o

The Steel now thinks Donna Wilkins won't be ready in time for the April start because of the birth of her son. And they felt they would need a suitable replacement for Wilkins. Hello? What about Naopou? She single handidly beat the Vixens last year. :o

I bet the Tactix are furious. Jodi Brown just had a baby! Why couldn't they sign Morgan under ''special circumstances'' like the Steel?

:rolleyes:

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 11th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Tactix could have been very dangerous in 09 with Mkoloma, Brown, Seymour and Morgan, but they're kidding themselves if they think they're going anywhere now. :o

Steel should just sign an ancient NZ player like the Tactix did! Apparently that's all that NNZ will allow teams to include in their roster to play in THE BEST NETBALL COMPETITION IN THE WORLD. :o :o :o Honestly, if every single member of NNZ is not hanging their head in shame right now, it just goes to show that they really are deluded.

The competition in Manchester looks good, and is a great step forward, but some of the ideas are just absolutely ridiculous. I mean it's not even netball anymore. :o 7 minute quarters? :o Double points for goals? :o Please, I could probably be competitive in the Samoan team with these rules. :o

The netballers in the top 6 nations in the world are serious athletes. Shorter quarters and doubling points trivialises the sport and those who play it. These women are tough, strong, and talented. Let them show their stuff for a full 60 minutes as usual, not for a "blink and you miss it" sideshow game.

I agree I like the competition in Manchester, and it looks like it's going to be held every year with Manchester having the rights to it from 09-11. But I agree I don't want it to be a poor-mans 20/20 version. Just let them play a normal match. :o

I also read an article about the Mystic's pre-season training and it seems Catherine Latu has fully commited to playing for the Ferns, and is working hard on her fitness. :hearts:

Привет
Dec 11th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I read that article as well. :D A fully fit Davu would be a huge bonus for the Mystics defensively. I hope they are the surprise team for 09.

That is complete bs from NNZ. :rolleyes: This just goes to show that the rules for international players are too subjective. It shouldn't be handled 'case by case'. There should be a set of black and white rules and a limit to the number of internationals allowed per franchise, that way there wouldn't be any of this 'appeal' bs going on, and it would be fair for all players.

So now Shoard get's lucky and has a team to play on while Morgan is left stranded. :rolleyes: NNZ you suck.

Привет
Dec 11th, 2008, 03:52 AM
So now there is nothing to speculate on except for the Central Pulse lineup.

Known players are Paula Griffin, Althea Byfield and others who I can't remember.

I know that this sounds really crazy, but does anyone think there is even a slight chance that a miracle may occur and Pulse may apply to sign Morgan? :hopeful: I just desperately want her to be playing somewhere, she's certainly too good to be on the sidelines for an entire season. NNZ wouldn't approve, but maybe if Pulse apply saying that they cannot find any shooters in New Zealand who are even close to Morgan's level. Because with the best of the best already long snatched up by the other 4 NZ teams, it is basically true. :shrug:

Snuffanator
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
it is not NNZs fault that she doesnt have a team to play for. the canterbury tactix are the ones to blame because they already had morgan signed but they gave her the flick because sonia mkoloma came along.:(

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 6th, 2009, 12:37 PM
it is not NNZs fault that she doesnt have a team to play for. the canterbury tactix are the ones to blame because they already had morgan signed but they gave her the flick because sonia mkoloma came along.:(

Which is fair because they really needed a big named defender especially with Demelza heading across to QLD.

I'm disappointed that Jo doesn't have a team. She's a fantastic player, and as Привет mentioned, could have really strengthened the Pulse and perhaps have gotten them their first win.

:(

Snuffanator
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:18 PM
yea but they had already signed their import althea byfield along time ago. but they have picked up paula griffin and bessie manu. they look to have quite a strong defensive end. i think that they are looking stronger than the west coast fever who only field big names of the dangerous caitlin bassett and susan fuhrmann who ddnt really see much court time last season.

Snuffanator
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:16 AM
when i was reading the team lists, i also noticed that kristen hughes isn't playing this year or isn't wanted? surely the west coast fever would prefer to have her or jo morgan both former aussie internationals in their team rather than the likes of bianca franklin or nikala smith who they have persisted with, arguably without success. :tape:

Snuffanator
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Which is fair because they really needed a big named defender especially with Demelza heading across to QLD.

I'm disappointed that Jo doesn't have a team. She's a fantastic player, and as Привет mentioned, could have really strengthened the Pulse and perhaps have gotten them their first win.

:(

but yes, i do agree that it is very dissapointing that the calibre of jo morgan (or kristin hughes also) cannot be good enough for one of the ten teams in the most exciting netball competition in the world.

Snuffanator
Jan 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Who does everyone think will win the 2nd season?
I think the Magic will win

Mana
Nov 15th, 2009, 05:36 AM
So the team lists are out for the ANZ Championship 2010.

http://66.29.206.247/_uploads/res/2344_81243.pdf

The Mystics team is looking very strong. But I still have question marks over wether they can preform.

There starting lineup should look something like this...

GS Latu
GA Tutaia
WA Coffin
C George
WD Wilcox
GD Henry
GK Byfield

Not much to say really.. look for the inclusion of Pulu at WD.. and Rasmussen at WA. Thats about it.

The Magic...

GS Van Dyk
GA Brown
WA Solia
C Langman
WD Scholz
GD Tod
GK Williams

Although I would love to see Williams at GD and Waititi at GK :hearts:
Also intresting to note, Tanya Lund is in the squad. Thats a good team.

Pulse...

GS Altschwager
GA Griffin
WA Milner-Olsen
C Lees
WD Abgeze/Manu
GD Lichtwark
GK Grant

I would think that is Altschwager's stats are not up to standard, Amaru-Tibble will be on quick smart. She may even start with Amaru-Tibble.. too close to call.

Tatix... (eek)

GS Halpenny
GA Thompson
WA Bowden
C Finch
WD Galvan
GD Stephens
GK Kight

This team looks like they may struggle next season. The loss of Brown is huge.. theres no doubting Halpenny has talent, but is she ready? The gain of Peta Stephens is a huge one though. I think this defence team will work so well together. I also think Stephens/Smith would be amazing :hearts:

Steel...

GS Wipiiti
GA Topia
WA Dehn
C Barrett-Chase
WD Telfer
GD Scanlan
GK De Bruin

Love this team. The combo of Wipiiti and Topia is one I have wanted to see for years. I am so excited. This line up leaves no room for Erica Burgess... she may share the WD bib with Telfer. I would not be surprised to see Dehn at GA and Barrett-Chase at WA, Telfer at C and Burgess at WD. We all know how Broughton loves to reward her players of long service. I hope not though.
I really think the combo of Wipiiti & Topia can trouble any team.

My picks of players to watch...

Mystics = Pulu (If she gets a chance)
Magic = Waititi (Again, if she gets a chance)
Pulse = Lees.. talent to burn.
Tactix = Halpenny. Find of the year I think ;)
Steel = Topia... again, talent to burn.

Anyone else think otherwise?

Привет
Nov 15th, 2009, 10:44 AM
:rolls: You can't half tell you're biased towards a certain South Island side. ;) Not much to say about a completely new look Mystics, but 4 lines about an underwhelming Steel side. :p

NZ SIDES

Mystics new lineup is amazing. If they can't better their performance next season, I'll be so annoyed. Would have preferred a different import GK, but can't be picky.

Magic should be fun. Hoping to see Waititi/Williams used as well.

Altschwager should be used at GA, but she won't be. I'd never play Lichtwark in the circle, she's SO much better at WD. I'd play Grant/Agbeze/Lichtwark, and Manu is a very handy substitute for either WD or GD.

Tactix is awful. Dunno why they didn't try for a different import GS after they couldn't get Brownfield. Their shooting stocks leave wanting, and even though their mid and defensive end are okay, I can't see them going anywhere but down with the shooting options they have.

Steel have a pretty nice lineup, but I don't think it's going to be good enough to get them into the finals again. I'd like to see Wipiiti, Dehn, Barret-Chase, Telfer, Scanlan, de Bruin, Selby-Rickett.

AUS SIDES

Firebirds are okay. I like the new team the more I get used to them. Hope Geitz/Steel is up to par, and I'd love to see Scherian get a lot of court time at WA, partly because I just don't really like Wall all that much, and partly coz Scherian is a talent.

Swifts aren't that different. Take this years team and throw in an import (thank goodness they finally relented and signed one, shame it took finishing next to last for them to realise they needed to do so) and you've got next years team. Really hope Mkoloma isn't put at GK, she's a better defender than anyone they have and deserves the 2 thirds to work in. They'll be back challenging for finals if Mkoloma solidifies their defensive end.

Vixens don't excite me that much. Pretty much gonna see the exact same team as this season. Will be interesting to see how McMahon goes with her injury. She does so much for them, I'm not 100% sure they'd be the favourites to win the title without her. Caldwell could be a nice backup, but she's not going to win them another Championship.

Fever have another interesting young team. Will be interesting to see who gets the GA bib out of Lawson and Shoard. I'd like to see them both playing, so it's a shame one will be on the bench. Hope to see Janz really come forward next season.

Thunderbirds big story is their new look shooting circle. I'm expecting a tall timber lineup with Borrego at GS and Beveridge at GA. Bell is also there having come from Swifts, but I don't think she'll see much more court time at T'birds than she got at Swifts. The rest of the court will be pretty much the same as this season. Can't wait to see how Borrego/Beveridge goes though. I have a feeling Borrego will be outstanding at GS, but Beveridge may struggle playing the GA position week in week out.

Mana
Nov 17th, 2009, 12:34 AM
:rolls: You can't half tell you're biased towards a certain South Island side. ;) Not much to say about a completely new look Mystics, but 4 lines about an underwhelming Steel side. :p

NZ SIDES

Mystics new lineup is amazing. If they can't better their performance next season, I'll be so annoyed. Would have preferred a different import GK, but can't be picky.

Magic should be fun. Hoping to see Waititi/Williams used as well.

Altschwager should be used at GA, but she won't be. I'd never play Lichtwark in the circle, she's SO much better at WD. I'd play Grant/Agbeze/Lichtwark, and Manu is a very handy substitute for either WD or GD.

Tactix is awful. Dunno why they didn't try for a different import GS after they couldn't get Brownfield. Their shooting stocks leave wanting, and even though their mid and defensive end are okay, I can't see them going anywhere but down with the shooting options they have.

Steel have a pretty nice lineup, but I don't think it's going to be good enough to get them into the finals again. I'd like to see Wipiiti, Dehn, Barret-Chase, Telfer, Scanlan, de Bruin, Selby-Rickett.

AUS SIDES

Firebirds are okay. I like the new team the more I get used to them. Hope Geitz/Steel is up to par, and I'd love to see Scherian get a lot of court time at WA, partly because I just don't really like Wall all that much, and partly coz Scherian is a talent.

Swifts aren't that different. Take this years team and throw in an import (thank goodness they finally relented and signed one, shame it took finishing next to last for them to realise they needed to do so) and you've got next years team. Really hope Mkoloma isn't put at GK, she's a better defender than anyone they have and deserves the 2 thirds to work in. They'll be back challenging for finals if Mkoloma solidifies their defensive end.

Vixens don't excite me that much. Pretty much gonna see the exact same team as this season. Will be interesting to see how McMahon goes with her injury. She does so much for them, I'm not 100% sure they'd be the favourites to win the title without her. Caldwell could be a nice backup, but she's not going to win them another Championship.

Fever have another interesting young team. Will be interesting to see who gets the GA bib out of Lawson and Shoard. I'd like to see them both playing, so it's a shame one will be on the bench. Hope to see Janz really come forward next season.

Thunderbirds big story is their new look shooting circle. I'm expecting a tall timber lineup with Borrego at GS and Beveridge at GA. Bell is also there having come from Swifts, but I don't think she'll see much more court time at T'birds than she got at Swifts. The rest of the court will be pretty much the same as this season. Can't wait to see how Borrego/Beveridge goes though. I have a feeling Borrego will be outstanding at GS, but Beveridge may struggle playing the GA position week in week out.

I must say, I agree that they may not make the semifinals.. but they can push any team on there day. We'll leave it at that. ;)

Привет
Nov 17th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Steel can make the finals, but their problem is that next season Vixens, Magic, Mystics, Firebirds, Thunderbirds and Swifts also have a team that could make the finals.

They can beat almost any of those teams playing at home, but can they beat those teams enough times to make the finals? :shrug: I say no.

Langers
Nov 17th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Can't believe Medhurst is gone. :sobbing:

Dani12
Jul 10th, 2011, 11:59 AM
World champs...

just saying. ;)

Mana
Jul 10th, 2011, 12:06 PM
This thread badley needed a bump.

That final was... Gutting. But I guess we had it coming after Deli last year.

NZ & Australia never let us down.

On a side note, I really think South Africa are making great strides on the top 4. Excellect for them to secure 5th. Also excellent to see a national league introduced next year running over something like 20 weeks. Just what they needed.

Also - Claudia Basson needs to be picked up by an ANZ Champs side. She won't be though.

Dani12
Jul 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I thought so too. ;)

Yeah they really don't, they are both stunning teams, they are so close in quality and their matches are always really really thrilling.

Snuffanator
Oct 14th, 2011, 02:15 AM
exciting to see the introduction of more English players in the ANZ champs next season. I think Jo Harten will be a big name in the future, so she will be handy for the Tactix. I like Brown and Wilkins at the Steel. Wow, so much potential, but their defense and mid are clearly lacking. Again, Mystics look like the strongest of the NZ sides, losing nothing my picking up Jade Clarke for Joline Henry. Im picking the Fever to crack into the Top 4 either this season or next if they can retain Cox. They have ALWAYS struggled with the GA position, but with Cox there, they may be able to push the top sides. Should be a great season!