PDA

View Full Version : The Most Underrated Shots of the WTA

kosmikgroove
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:54 AM
1. The Justine Henin forehand: this shot produces more winners than her glorious backhand and she can place it anywhere on the court. This shot is devastating and perhaps the single most under estimated shot in recent WTA history.

2. The Ana Ivanovic forehand: simply stunning. I've never seen a girl hit as hard, and consistently as Ana does off this wing (with the exception of Dementieva, but since we're the on the topic of underrated...)

3. Serena's backhand: I know recently it has broken down, but this shot is typically a rocket! You know you better brace yourself for something big when Serena's got a short ball and is able to really step into the swing. The shoulder rotation / preparation she manages to get on this stroke is brilliant.

brent-o
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:24 AM
1. The Justine Henin forehand: this shot produces more winners than her glorious backhand and she can place it anywhere on the court. This shot is devastating and perhaps the single most under estimated shot in recent WTA history.

2. The Ana Ivanovic forehand: simply stunning. I've never seen a girl hit as hard, and consistently as Ana does off this wing (with the exception of Dementieva, but since we're the on the topic of underrated...)

3. Serena's backhand: I know recently it has broken down, but this shot is typically a rocket! You know you better brace yourself for something big when Serena's got a short ball and is able to really step into the swing. The shoulder rotation / preparation she manages to get on this stroke is brilliant.

I agree, but I like Venus' backhand more.

esquímaux
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Dementieva's serve :devil: It's actually pretty deceptive.

Oh and Bartoli's...EVERYTHING! :lol:

starin
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:40 AM
i'm conufused, you just listed 3 of the biggest weapons for these players. How are they underrated?
I'd say Serena has good drop volleys when she moves a little faster.

Also, Justine's 2nd Serve is underrated. It's very effective and much less attackable now then it was a few years ago.

kosmikgroove
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:20 AM
i'm conufused, you just listed 3 of the biggest weapons for these players. How are they underrated?
I'd say Serena has good drop volleys when she moves a little faster.

Also, Justine's 2nd Serve is underrated. It's very effective and much less attackable now then it was a few years ago.

I mean these are shots that we all know to be weapons but they are not the traditional shot that we associate with each player. (ie justine and her backhand, and serena and her serve or forehand)

I forgot to mention Hantuchova's drop shots and Jankovic's lobs

Andy.
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:33 AM
I would say the Sharapova forehand is an underrated shot.

Zaragojuju
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Justine's serve

dybbuk
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:37 AM
I mean these are shots that we all know to be weapons but they are not the traditional shot that we associate with each player. (ie justine and her backhand, and serena and her serve or forehand)

I forgot to mention Hantuchova's drop shots and Jankovic's lobs

Well, if that's the case, of all Ana's shots her forehand gets the most attention. :p

Safarova's FH doesn't get as much attention as it should, that comes to mind.

ViennaCalling
Nov 8th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Tamira's Backhand :drool:

OsloErik
Nov 8th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Kuznetsova's serve. Her monster topspin forehand gets all the attention, but she's got a very solid, very efficient, difficult to attack serve that isn't prone to breaking down. I'd say she's the best-serving Russian at the moment, which I wouldn't have thought back in 2004 (Sharapova, Petrova, Zvonereva all looked sharper on the serve).

DomenicDemaria
Nov 8th, 2007, 08:43 AM
I always thought Mary had a better backhand. It was more consistent. But when her forehand is on its unbelievable. The best shot in tennis when its on.

Renalicious
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Serena's volley's are underrated. Especially her drop volleys. Marion's volleying is also underrated, I think they're great.

Medina
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Tamira's Backhand :drool:

agreed. :) Its amzing that shot of hers. when i was watching her in Fed Cup, i never even heard of her, and her backahdn was.. Wow :eek:. She even ran around her forehand to hit backhands, and they were winners

Direwolf
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:06 AM
1- Sharapovas speed.
2- Venuss drops
3- Lindsays fighting spirit

hehe..

theres like a thread here a few months ago

rottweily
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM

Indeed!

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Sam's serve and Molik's backhand slice!

supergrunt
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Serena's drop shots and slices :drool: .

Venus volleys are pretty good. She dosen't get the repsect she deserves when it comes to that :( .

Medina
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Lol supergrunt, just a question, do u ever not talk about serena. Its like shes perfect at this game.. a thread that you made recently about best matches on video.. You just posted about 10 videos of Serena.. :o

But i agreee with the venus statement you made, they are great!

supergrunt
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Lol supergrunt, just a question, do u ever not talk about serena. Its like shes perfect at this game.. a thread that you made recently about best matches on video.. You just posted about 10 videos of Serena.. :o

But i agreee with the venus statement you made, they are great!

I do talk about othe players. Usually though when I complement them people call me a suck up or something and I don't feel like drama :shrug: . I do appreciate the fact that you are closely monitoring my posts :hug: .

skanky~skanketta
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Justine's 2nd serve
Serena's slice
Vaidisova's dropshots
Kuznetsova's speed
Bartoli's everything (as mentioned earlier)
Dementieva's serve (also as mentioned earlier, it's not so easy to attack)

Daniel K
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:41 AM
What Supergrunt! Serena's slice is pretty terrible, at least her match against Henin at Wimbledon. I know she was injured but they were embarrassing .

supergrunt
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM
What Supergrunt! Serena's slice is pretty terrible, at least her match against Henin at Wimbledon. I know she was injured but they were embarrassing .

"I know she was injured"

Enough said.

justine schnyder
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Patty's serve and forehand.
Juju 2nd serve

And Ivanovic's forehand is not underrated at all, Maybe Golovin's though

tennis_lover89
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:57 PM
venus' volleys
sharapova's drop volleys
henin's 2nd serve for sure

rottweily
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Backhand slice followed up with a crushing cross court backhand:
http://www.mediafire.com/?asx2wkdljvh

Nowadays it's sorta underrated relative to her forehand :lol:

cellophane
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Serena's slice is shit. Her drop shots can be really great though.