PDA

View Full Version : Who is weakest player ever to appear at YEC?

boohooboo
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:10 PM
since they reduced the field to 8 players?

it has to be daniela hantuchova or marion bartoli. difficult to make a call.

frenchie
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:13 PM
If you're talking about the new format : Zvonareva, Sugiyama, Hantuchova or Bartoli

But Smashnova played the YEC in 2002!!!!

Poova
No offence to her fans, but Ai Sugiyama I would have to say. :p

friendsita
Daniela Hantuchova

John.
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Sugiyama

Pheobo
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Smashnova.

tennis_lover89
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Smashnova or Cake

GoDominique
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:24 PM
#3: Dementieva.
#2: Dementieva.
#1: Dementieva.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Smashnova!!

E.Dementieva_FAN
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Bartoli

buckyohare
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM

Lol, spot on. Demented version 2006 was especially shocking. DF's after DF's.

justine schnyder
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Apperently Hantuchova and if she's in Bartoli too , although I like her, Ai was one of the weakests too

sharapovarulz1
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:56 PM
No offence to her fans, but Ai Sugiyama I would have to say. :p

I agree!

mboyle
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Hantuchova at least had a good, consistent season. Bartoli had one single good tournament.

conrado
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:06 PM
since they reduced the field to 8 players?

it has to be daniela hantuchova or marion bartoli. difficult to make a call.

Hmm, you created this thread only to bash Hantuchova? pathetic :rolleyes:

RJWCapriati
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Smashnova followed by Sugiyama

darkangel23
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Dementieva

Vlad Tepes
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Smashnova made the YEC??? :speakles:

I have to agree, Smashnova and Sugiyama, although Ai is a great doubles player.

Lulu.
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Dementieva.

mckyle.
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Hantuchova at least had a good, consistent season. Bartoli had one single good tournament.

that just happened to be Wimbledon, the most important tournament :angel: destroying #1 in the process.

CarlaValenti
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Are you kidding? SUGIYAMA?!

Ai :worship:

DownTheLine21
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Dementieva.

While I think Sugiyama is worse, it was painful to watch Dementieva win practically no matches year after year.

mboyle
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:16 PM
:(that just happened to be Wimbledon, the most important tournament :angel: destroying #1 in the process.

It was still a complete fluke. I mean, if Bartoli were limited to 17 tournaments a year and had had a normal result at Wimbledon, she wouldn't be top twenty.

LudwigDvorak
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Dementieva, in terms of how hopeless she was there for the past six years.

In weakest as in the weakest to play, probably Smashnova, yes.

IceHock
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Daniela is at least competitve in her matches, other players have gotten smashed time and time again.

The Daviator
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:13 PM
:(

It was still a complete fluke. I mean, if Bartoli were limited to 17 tournaments a year and had had a normal result at Wimbledon, she wouldn't be top twenty.

If you take away all Marion's Wimbledon points, she's still top 20 :weirdo:

*W*
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Hantuchova and Bartoli!

DragonFlame
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Dementieva is definetly NOT the weakest. She's a 2-time grandslamfinalist and has multiple tier1 titles. She's definetly a level above sugiyama, hantuchova, bartoli and zvonereva eventhough she sucks at YEC.

MakarovaFan
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Well every player who made it has always EARNED it,but out of all the players to ever appear..hmm i dunno....surface-wise Smashnova BUT she has/had beaten just about every player that played aswell so she's not that weak!

switz
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Funny that Bartoli is taking such a beating before she's even played a match :rolleyes: i don't think a player has been treated as poorly as she is.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Dementieva :lol:

Leo_DFP
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:40 PM
It has to be Sugiyama or Bartoli.

Leo_DFP
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Smashnova doesn't count - the question asked about players under the new format. So just since 2003, when they started Top 8 Round Robin.

There were probably some players equal to Smash from earlier than 2002, back when the event was Top 16.

-sugi-
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:52 PM
:rolleyes: at the people saying Ai. She still beat Henin 64 62 in the YEC that year and Justine made the semis.

The Kaz
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Bring back top 16 :sobbing:

Viktymise
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:00 AM

Yeah, thats why she made it 7 years in a row :spit:

roelc
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:18 AM
:rolleyes: at the people saying Ai. She still beat Henin 64 62 in the YEC that year and Justine made the semis.

justine had already qualified for the semis so she didn't care for that match against ai
didn't rubin play in this format too?

I'd go with zvonareva being the weakest.

bartoli has never appeared at the YEC and hopefully never will

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Ever? Brie Whitehead in 2013

tennis_lover89
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Ever? Brie Whitehead in 2013I disagree..I say in 2015 :p

AJZ.
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Ai? :lol:
Right. :help:

Pheobo
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:29 AM
:(

However, she's not and she didn't. so it's irrelevant

she earned her place as an alternate and serena pulled out.

matty
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:00 AM

Good Point!!!

Uranium
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Ai beat henin in 2003 YEC.
Hantuchova is worst.

MakarovaFan
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Good Point!!!

Ok Bartoli had a weak first half of year....so did Venus.But starting with Prague,Marion got to the Semis or better of 5 of her next 6 events and her slam record was a solid 2RD 4RD F 4RD......Daniela 4RD 3RD 4RD 1RD.And Marion has beaten the no.1,3,5 players amongst others.

Polikarpov
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I was tempted to say Hantuchova because the last time she was in YEC, I think she lost in the first round to Magdalena Maleeva. But since the thread asked for the weakest player when the round robin format was introduced, I would say Zvonareva is the weakest.

miffedmax
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Yeah, sucky old Elena showing up for 8 straight YECs.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Smashnova.

SelesFan70
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Daniela Hantuchova

Agreed, especially mentally. Her backhand down the line is a thing of beauty, though! :)

Medina
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Ai sugyama, and also Hantuchova

switz
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Ok Bartoli had a weak first half of year....so did Venus.But starting with Prague,Marion got to the Semis or better of 5 of her next 6 events and her slam record was a solid 2RD 4RD F 4RD......Daniela 4RD 3RD 4RD 1RD.And Marion has beaten the no.1,3,5 players amongst others.

exactly. Bartoli had a horrible start to the year and she came good. Until RG about 99% people here said she was the worst player in the top 30 :o

She made the Wimbledon final beating some of the best players along the way. she deserves everything she's achieved.

esquímaux
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Main Marion :D:angel:

Medina
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:36 AM
exactly. Bartoli had a horrible start to the year and she came good. Until RG about 99% people here said she was the worst player in the top 30 :o

She made the Wimbledon final beating some of the best players along the way. she deserves everything she's achieved.

The is true, I really was shoked when she got to the 4th round of RG. But she has achieved so much.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Dementieva, in terms of how hopeless she was there for the past six years.

Elena had bad luck , she was not playing great indoor tennis those years unlike this season + the field in 2003-2006 (Davenport , Clijsters , Mauresmo , etc.) was tougher than this year :(

LCS
Nov 8th, 2007, 05:40 PM

Bitch!!!

BartoliBabes
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:06 PM

apart from wimb finalist, she was also a finalist in prague nd a semi-finalist in strasbourg, birmingham, eastbourne, luxembourg and linz, quarter-finalist in tier 1's toronto and zurich, as well as 4th rounds at the french nd us opens. that's a pretty gud year:rolleyes:

ilovethewilliams
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:07 PM
monica seles

Ballbasher
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Chanda Rubin for me :shrug: Her game always lacked something great for me
Are poeple kidding here with Zvonareva she's the game to go alot further top where she's been but that'll never make me like her :p
Sugiyama has an amazing fighting spirit but is inconsistent so is Bartoli

sfselesfan
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Chanda Rubin for me :shrug: Her game always lacked something great for me.

WHAT!?! Are you like 12 years old or something? Chanda (before she needed a bionic knee) was a fantastic player. Prior to her injuries Chanda could wax the floor with Zvonereva on any surface.

SF

roelc
Nov 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I _think_ we have a winner :lol:

John.
Nov 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM
^^^:haha:

Poova
Nov 8th, 2007, 08:46 PM
:rolleyes:

Natalicious
Nov 8th, 2007, 08:46 PM
bartoli in her first and last yec :)

Rik.
Nov 8th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Bartoli :p

MistyGrey
Nov 8th, 2007, 08:55 PM
we have a winner :bigclap:

pav
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:42 PM
WHAT!?! Are you like 12 years old or something? Chanda (before she needed a bionic knee) was a fantastic player. Prior to her injuries Chanda could wax the floor with Zvonereva on any surface.

SF
splutter, splutter, cough,nearly choke!!

Rexman
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I don't think anyone that ever won a match deserves to be listed. Sugiyama beat Henin when she was there.

I'd say Bartoli just because she got in off a single fluke run.

FrenchY52
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I'd say Bartoli just because she got in off a single fluke run.

I agree.
Marion :awww:

vutt
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Well, statistic junkies, name some players who have been playing in YEC, but have not got past QF on GS events for entire life...
...and you have your answer.

dylan24
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:42 PM
cake bartoli

sarciness
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:55 PM
At the risk of jumping on a screemingly fast bandwagon, I'm gonna go with Bartoli.

Slumpsova
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:00 AM
i'm think Dementieva never won YEC match in her 3 appearances :lol:

Matt01
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM
i'm think Dementieva never won YEC match in her 3 appearances :lol:

Dementieva made the semi-finals of the YEC some years ago...

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Dementieva made the semi-finals of the YEC some years ago...

2000... Losing to Monica in semis

LudwigDvorak
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:33 AM
def. Davenport 36 76(7) 64
def. Clijsters 64 26 64
def. Rubin 46 75 61

Three good wins at YEC, one of which during the RR stage, albeit a dead rubber. Her most competitive loss in the YEC was against Serena in 2004, 76(3) 75. :tape: 10/14 losses were where she got six games or less.

Although it's safe to say Bartoli. Making the YEC seven years in a row, despite losing most of the matches, isn't "fluke."

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:38 AM
def. Davenport 36 76(7) 64
def. Clijsters 64 26 64
def. Rubin 46 75 61

Three good wins at YEC, one of which during the RR stage, albeit a dead rubber. Her most competitive loss in the YEC was against Serena in 2004, 76(3) 75. :tape: 10/14 losses were where she got six games or less.

Although it's safe to say Bartoli. Making the YEC seven years in a row, despite losing most of the matches, isn't "fluke."

Like I said before , a little bit of bad luck

This year Lena was playing a better indoor tennis than those years when she did qualify , mainly thanks to her hardcourt season in USA and the field was tougher during 2004-2006 in the YEC

matanuriel
Nov 9th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Why does so many people say Smashnova? she doesn't hae the flashiest game but you got to say it worked when she got to the top 16. She hae wins over Henin, Kimmi, Hantuchova (in her prime 2002 if I am not mistaken), Dokic and more good players.
For me, Bartoli, Zvonareva, Hantuchova, Sugiama and Molik are the worest! it is kind of bad that we got this YEC with two of them.
I hope that Shahar will get there in the next year or so (anytime will work for me:) )

Matt01
Nov 9th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Why does so many people say Smashnova? she doesn't hae the flashiest game but you got to say it worked when she got to the top 16. She hae wins over Henin, Kimmi, Hantuchova (in her prime 2002 if I am not mistaken), Dokic and more good players.
For me, Bartoli, Zvonareva, Hantuchova, Sugiama and Molik are the worest! it is kind of bad that we got this YEC with two of them.

And you seriously think that players like Hantuchova or Molik are worse than Smashnova? :confused:

So Disrespectful
Nov 9th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Lol at the suggestion of Daniela being the weakest ever. If anything, her weakness has been closing out sets. She could've at least taken a set off of Ivanovic and Sharapova for the sake of 1-3 points in each match. When she gets double bagelled, or goes 0-9 in matches or whatever, then she can be considered.

So Disrespectful
Nov 9th, 2007, 06:19 AM
I hope that Shahar will get there in the next year or so (anytime will work for me:) )

Are those the only quality wins Smashnova had in her long career? If an average player hangs around the tour for that length of time, it's almost guaranteed that she'll catch some top players on bad days. No offence, but she has no weapons at all, and her only asset of foot-speed isn't even the best in the game either.

It has to be between Smashnova, Bartoli and Sugiyama.

spencercarlos
Nov 9th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Are those the only quality wins Smashnova had in her long career? If an average player hangs around the tour for that length of time, it's almost guaranteed that she'll catch some top players on bad days. No offence, but she has no weapons at all, and her only asset of foot-speed isn't even the best in the game either.

Smashnova then Frazier as the lower ranked players.

As for top 3 players Coetzer and Conchita deserve an honorable mention.. they did crap in YECs.

mandy7
Nov 9th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Bartoli, Smashnova, Sugiyama

matanuriel
Nov 9th, 2007, 09:03 AM
And you seriously think that players like Hantuchova or Molik are worse than Smashnova? :confused:

Molik maybe not. But Hantuchova yes, she got great shot and all but she is not in this level, IMHO.

She had more wins, I just can't remember all of them. If I am not mistaken in 1994 or something like that she got to the WTA and in the RG she suprised Novotna (when she was in the top 5). FYI, Those good wins came together in a time that she did play well and made those wins happen! She was even called by the WTA site "the giants killer".
And in my opinion foot speed is a weapon, it gave har great defense (maybe not the best but certenly a pretty good one).
IMO, Bartoli is far worest than Anna.

I love Mary
Nov 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Why Ai?

Do you know that Ai won against Henin, when the Belgian was #2 in the world?

Sugiyama in WTA Champ:

R1 H2H HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL 2 W 6-2 6-4
R1 H2H CAPRIATI, JENNIFER USA 5 L 7-5 7-6(3)
R1 H2H MYSKINA, ANASTASIA RUS 8 L 6-4 6-3

Good score also against Jennifer. ;)

Sugiyama has beaten Clijsters in three tournements: even when Kim was #5 and #3.
She also has beaten Pierce in five moments: when Mary was #6 and #5.

She won against Henin, Graf #7, Capriati #3, Sanchez-Vicario #9, Martinez #11, Davenport #9, Novotna #10 and #7, Kuznetsova #4, Huber #10, Coetzer #4, Vaidisova #10, Halard-Decugis #8 :eek:

She won against Hingis, Dementieva, Petrova, Myskina, Hantuchova, Bartoli, Dokic, Schett, Maleeva, Zvonareva, Zvereva.

And so I don't think that Ai is the weakest player to play WTA Champ! ;)

perseus2006
Nov 9th, 2007, 02:52 PM
The weakest player at a YEC has got to be Serena: she only lasted one set and lost that!!!

At least Bartoli played two losing sets...

MistyGrey
Nov 9th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Smashnova overall.
Bartoli since the round robin format was introduced.

sammy01
Nov 9th, 2007, 04:18 PM
since round robin format i'd go with ai, vera and dani as none has reached a slam semi, and to me slams is where it counts.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 9th, 2007, 04:41 PM

Smashnova is hopeless in slams, fast indoor courts even more hopeless.
had YEC been on clay then she would be slightly dangerous with her array of moonballs over and over :zzz:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Lol at the suggestion of Daniela being the weakest ever. If anything, her weakness has been closing out sets. She could've at least taken a set off of Ivanovic and Sharapova for the sake of 1-3 points in each match. When she gets double bagelled, or goes 0-9 in matches or whatever, then she can be considered.

Don´t be coward , say the names :rolleyes:

Anyway , I doubt in Daniela making 0-9 cuz this is her last YEC :wavey:

Viktymise
Nov 9th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Don´t be coward , say the names :rolleyes:

Anyway , I doubt in Daniela making 0-9 cuz this is her last YEC :wavey:

LOL exactly, Hantuchova isin't good enough to even make enough YEC's to go 0-9. Anyway the answer to this question is clearly Smashnova!

Matt01
Nov 9th, 2007, 05:23 PM
LOL exactly, Hantuchova isin't good enough to even make enough YEC's to go 0-9. Anyway the answer to this question is clearly Smashnova!

Still bitter that Hantuchova made it to the YEC, unlike Venus or Dementieva? :lol:

Viktymise
Nov 9th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Still bitter that Hantuchova made it to the YEC, unlike Venus or Dementieva? :lol:

Venus actually did make it :weirdo: and its funny that Dementieva almost got as many points this year as Hantuchova even though Dementieva missed two of her best tournaments this year :tape:

Why would i be bitter anyway, Hantuchova has nothing on either of them :lol:

Matt01
Nov 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Venus actually did make it :weirdo:

Oh really? Then why haven't I seen her in Madrid on court yet? :p

Viktymise
Nov 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Oh really? Then why haven't I seen her in Madrid on court yet? :p

Maybe because she didn't play. Not playing and not making it are not the same thing.

roelc
Nov 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
omg, now the worst player even has a win (because of jeca's retirement)

Matt01
Nov 9th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Maybe because she didn't play. Not playing and not making it are not the same thing.

LOL, you make it sound like Venus didn't want to play. Sorry, but Venus didn't make it to Madrid because she wasn't fit. Time for you to face the reality :wavey:

Viktymise
Nov 9th, 2007, 06:07 PM
LOL, you make it sound like Venus didn't want to play. Sorry, but Venus didn't make it to Madrid because she wasn't fit. Time for you to face the reality :wavey:

You are the one making out like she didn't make it because she wasn't good enough, when she qualified above Hantuchova who played practically every week of the year :tape: It doesn't really matter anyway. Venus won Wimbledon ;)

Matt01
Nov 9th, 2007, 06:09 PM
It doesn't really matter anyway. Venus won Wimbledon ;)

Good for her ;)