PDA

View Full Version : Serena could play tomorrow!!!

friendsita
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I just heard on tv, they said that after the match she went to the doctor and she will decide today if she continues in the YEC, cause she hasn't officially withdraw yet.

Tennisation
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM
what's the point if she's already 0-1, she's gonna go 0-2 after playing playing Justine tomorrow, she won't likely qualify for the semis, go home already.

frenchie
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I don't think this is possible!

Mercury Rising
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:14 PM
If she plays on, she isn't really injured.
Simple as that.

disco_rage
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:16 PM
She shouldn't be allowed to play on.
It's like when a player retires in final round of qualifying and then gets LUCKY LOSER spot.. it's not right!

picklzz
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I doubt Serena has the stomach to take a beat down from Henin. When Henin beat Serena at the U.S. Open, you could tell that she broke Serena's spirit. And then she went on to bust up Venus. The Williams know that their days at the top of tennis are past.

I just heard on tv, they said that after the match she went to the doctor and she will decide today if she continues in the YEC, cause she hasn't officially withdraw yet.

Aaron.
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Simple as that. Then why would she retire to Chaky? not to mention she had both legs strapped.

Some of you people are dumbasses Serena wouldnt retire just because shes losing.

Everyone has thier reasons to why they retire and losing wasnt one of them im 100% sure shes injured.

:weirdo: get a brain

Olórin
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Simple as that.

If only the world were that simple. People like you would understand it more. :lol:

Anyway, it seems a bit odd, I don't think Serena should play anyway. When it's over, it's over.

She needs to get better for 2008.

Donny
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:18 PM
She shouldn't be allowed to play on.
It's like when a player retires in final round of qualifying and then gets LUCKY LOSER spot.. it's not right!

Funny you mention that, since essentially a lucky loser would be taking Serena's spot should she withdraw from the YEC.

Poova
She can't. She withdrew from a match, she withdrew from the tournament surely? :rolleyes:

Cam'ron Giles
I doubt Serena has the stomach to take a beat down from Henin. When Henin beat Serena at the U.S. Open, you could tell that she broke Serena's spirit. And then she went on to bust up Venus. The Williams know that their days at the top of tennis are past.

Yeah...and they are holding two of four majors...:rolleyes:

Olórin

Bless :hug:

Tennisation
Then why would she retire to Chaky? not to mention she had both legs strapped.

Some of you people are dumbasses Serena wouldnt retire just because shes losing.

Everyone has thier reasons to why they retire and losing wasnt one of them im 100% sure shes injured.

:weirdo: get a brainur reasonning doesn't make sense, if she's injured, she wouldn't be playing tomorrow, he/she was simply stating the fact that if Serena is playing tomorrow, her injuring to Chaky is thrown out the window, simple as that.

Aaron.
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I doubt Serena has the stomach to take a beat down from Henin. When Henin beat Serena at the U.S. Open, you could tell that she broke Serena's spirit. And then she went on to bust up Venus. The Williams know that their days at the top of tennis are past. If i had a penny for each time this was said id have a bunch of money.

Are you forgetting who won 2/4 Grand Slams THIS Year? 2007 Ring a bell?

Aaron.
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:19 PM
ur reasonning doesn't make sense, if she's injured, she wouldn't be playing tomorrow, he/she was simply stating the fact that if Serena is playing tomorrow, her injuring to Chaky is thrown out the window, simple as that. If she decides to play tomorrow it dosent mean she isnt injured.

now does that make sense?

or you dont understand english?

GoDominique
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:20 PM
This is from ATP Masters Cup rules:

A player who retires during the Round Robin because of illness or injury may
continue in the competition if it is approved by the Tournament Doctor.

BartoliBabes
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:20 PM
thre's no way serena's guna play anymre in ths tourny

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:22 PM
you cant carry on with a RR tournament after withdrawing.
you are OUT of the tourn even if you WIN your 1st 2 matches and then retire in 3rd even though you'd be in SF.

WTA have stupid rules..... wouldnt suprise me if they made another rule up on the spot.

Cam'ron Giles
She could have saved us all the false hope and kept her ass at home...:rolleyes:

Tennisation
I believe she faked out the retirement to Chaky so she can pull out of the championship & not have to face Justine, so I'm 100% sure she's not gonna play tomorrow.

Effy
ur reasonning doesn't make sense, if she's injured, she wouldn't be playing tomorrow, he/she was simply stating the fact that if Serena is playing tomorrow, her injuring to Chaky is thrown out the window, simple as that.

:yeah:

serenus_2k8
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I really wish they could find someway to get her through this..she was hardly thrashed by AC.

Maybe Serena couldnt stomach a three setter how she was. Perhaps if they could numb any pain, support the knee and let her try for tommorow and if not then what more could she do? If janko beat AC, and Serena beat Janko, shed have a chance right?

Mercury Rising
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM
If she decides to play tomorrow it dosent mean she isnt injured.

or you dont understand english?
yes it does. someone who is really injured won't risk further harm by playing another match the day after and AGAIN the day after that. that's just insane. well in my simple world it is anyways.

Tennisation
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:28 PM
If she decides to play tomorrow it dosent mean she isnt injured.

or you dont understand english?so she's injured enough to retire today, yet not injured enough to stop playing tomorrow? Does going shopping after retiring from a match from so call "the most severe pain she's felt since knee surgery" magically make her recover in a day?

disco_rage
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Funny you mention that, since essentially a lucky loser would be taking Serena's spot should she withdraw from the YEC.

yeah i have no problem with lucky losers in general... but lucky losers who retired in their final round of qualifying shouldnt get a place in maindraw, that was my point.

Aaron.
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:30 PM
so she's injured enough to retire today, yet not injured enough to stop playing tomorrow? Does going shopping after retiring from a match from so call "the most severe pain she's felt since knee surgery" magically make her recover in a day? Example.

Justine played a long SF match with Sharapova

2 days later

Finals retires to Mauresmo

Olórin
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:32 PM
yes it does. someone who is really injured won't risk further harm by playing another match the day after and AGAIN the day after that. that's just insane. well in my simple world it is anyways.

Your favourite player has played did exactly what you have just deemed insane, US Open 2003?

Loads of players have played with injuries over the years and taken cortisone injections to get through an important match.

Heck Serena played with a clearly visible injury early this year, at Wimbledon. I guess both Serena and Justine are insane :shrug: Anyway it's the athlete's decision at the end the of day, whether you are gracious enough to deem them truly injured or not.

friendsita
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:33 PM

yeah

:lol: :lol: :lol: TARADO:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mercury Rising
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Example.

2 days later

Finals retires to Mauresmo
lmao, really bad example lol. you compare that to retiring one day due to a very painful injury it seemed and playing the next day? come on!!

serenus_2k8
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Tbh Serena was put in the 8pm slot along wid Shara if Serena aint playing so the tourny aint in a rush to kick her out for someone like Bartoli (:lol:) so if Serena says im playing chances are shell play.

I want her to try tommorow even if it means retiring again. At least she would never think 'What if?' and can focus on whats ahead.

Who knows when its Serena :D

Mercury Rising
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Your favourite player has played did exactly what you have just deemed insane, US Open 2003?

Loads of players have played with injuries over the years and taken cortisone injections to get through an important match.

Heck Serena played with a clearly visible injury early this year, at Wimbledon. I guess both Serena and Justine are insane :shrug: Anyway it's the athlete's decision at the end the of day, whether you are gracious enough to deem them truly injured or not.
hmmmmm, can't remember justine retiring and playing the next day. must be me.

Aaron.
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:38 PM
lmao, really bad example lol. you compare that to retiring one day due to a very painful injury it seemed and playing the next day? come on!! Really? Justine played 2 weeks of tennis and on the last day she retires cause she was getting her ass kicked.

shibster
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:39 PM
the way i see it, it's just totally unfortunate. if she has an injury, no matter if you are a fan of serena or not, you have to admit that you need to be match fit to play against justine.....for a chance to win.

i just dunno what she's planning to do, i hope she can try fighting it out, but retiring against anna C is just not looking good.

sdtoot
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Serena is currently in hospital having an MRI scan on her left knee. Can't see her playing tomorrow!

supergrunt
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:41 PM
kick her when she's up- kick her when she's down :lol:
but then again who really cares what you people say? not Serena.
It doesn't even bother me anymore... so.. keep talking :)

DragonFlame
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:42 PM
What do you guys don't understand. The wtarules state when you retire you're OUT of the tournament. She can't play anymore even if she wants too.

edit: now eurosport is stating the opposite also :wierd:

Iceland
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM
It would be ridiculous if she decided to continue. I also agree on the fact that players who withdraw from one match shouldn't be allowed to play.

DragonFlame
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM
you cant carry on with a RR tournament after withdrawing.
you are OUT of the tourn even if you WIN your 1st 2 matches and then retire in 3rd even though you'd be in SF.

WTA have stupid rules..... wouldnt suprise me if they made another rule up on the spot.

Everyone and everything is stating the opposite. Even eurosport is saying she can still play if she wants tomorrow and that serena hasn't decided yet if she will.

Tennisation
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Example.

2 days later

Finals retires to MauresmoI'm gonna be patient with u cuz u apparently don't understand the logic, let's break it down step by step:
Example 1: Justine played a long SF match with Sharapova, 2 days later retired in the final
Example 2: Serena in severe pain retired to Chaky, 1 day later ok to play against Justine

Tell me what is wrong with that picture? I'll give u a couple of chances for reassessment until u pass.

ogc
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:48 PM

Retired and then went on to win non robin round tuornament? That's something new to me.

Craigy
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Doubt she will play, and really hope she doesn't. Rest the knee. :sad:

Olórin
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:59 PM
hmmmmm, can't remember justine retiring and playing the next day. must be me.

Yeah it is you.

This was your wording: someone who is really injured won't risk further harm by playing another match the day after and AGAIN the day after that.

No-one was talking about retiring and then playing. We were talking about being injured and playing the next day.

Nice try though.

Olórin
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Retired and then went on to win non robin round tuornament? That's something new to me.

What I have bolded is not what the poster in question deemed insane.

The literacy levels on this board really are poor.

sharapovarulz1
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:02 PM
If she plays good luck to her if not there is always next year :)

Lulu.
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Well if she is fine and able to play then go for it.

Floydrose
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:37 PM
What I have bolded is not what the poster in question deemed insane.

The literacy levels on this board really are poor.

:cuckoo:

KBdoubleu
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:40 PM

lol rewatch the Australian and Wimbledon...

Billabong
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Williams hopes to play on despite knee injury

By Mark Elkington
MADRID, Nov 7 (Reuters) - Serena Williams (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/134/;_ylt=Ai5xnJnXdbzkZbsA0JFt9h4pv7YF) is hoping to play on at the WTA Championships despite having to retire through injury after the first set against Russian Anna Chakvetadze (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/1082/;_ylt=AiJknE07xVpKp4PEzgxqd10pv7YF) on Wednesday.
The 26-year-old American called for the doctor to attend a problem with her left knee when the score was 5-4.

After having some strapping, she lost the set 6-4 but Williams looked short on mobility and was unable to continue her opening match as the second set got underway.

"Before the match I had taping for prevention since I was feeling a little tight in both knees. I thought I was tighter in the right knee but then, once I had to increase my range of movement, the left knee got worse," Williams said in a statement.

"I've had issues with my knees before especially the left knee since that's the one I had surgery on in 2003. It's unfortunate it's happened now and I can't stress how disappointed I am.

"Right now it's swollen and I'm going off to have an MRI at the hospital to see exactly what the problem is. It is my intention to play on in this event." Williams's withdrawal from the match means world number one Justine Henin (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/4218/;_ylt=At4jWBMwSsZUCws9rW711jMpv7YF), who has won her first two outings in the yellow group, has automatically qualified for the semi-finals. If the 2001 winner is unable to continue, Marion Bartoli (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/354/;_ylt=AmD.9aBeadqalkNPeHojMO8pv7YF) of France is on standby to step in.

eugreene2
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Williams hopes to play on despite knee injury

By Mark Elkington
MADRID, Nov 7 (Reuters) - Serena Williams (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/134/;_ylt=Ai5xnJnXdbzkZbsA0JFt9h4pv7YF) is hoping to play on at the WTA Championships despite having to retire through injury after the first set against Russian "Right now it's swollen and I'm going off to have an MRI at the hospital to see exactly what the problem is. It is my intention to play on in this event."

Serena NO ... if the knees are swollen, go home. I'd rather you do well at the Aussie. Go do some shopping. It'll make you feel better

Slutiana
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I don't mind, if she can't play then fair enough but i would like her to play... My sig says it all...

Denise4925
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I believe she faked out the retirement to Chaky so she can pull out of the championship & not have to face Justine, so I'm 100% sure she's not gonna play tomorrow.

:weirdo: :haha: This is so retarded, I can't even comment on it further.

itzhak
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Just think what will happend if she will try to play and will retire after one game...this will be joke

thrust
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Well if she plays tomorrow, all taped up, she will have a good excuse if she loses to Justine. If she wins, she is Superwoman-lol!

supergrunt
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:24 PM
:weirdo: :haha: This is so retarded, I can't even comment on it further.

:lol:

Thanx4nothin
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:28 PM
She shouldn't play tomorrow it's just putting her health at risk again, take the break needed to fully heal and then get in shape seems rational in my book.

keinimod
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:28 PM
The WTA rules allow it:

Subject to the restrictions IV.B.7. a the player may subsequently compete in another event at the same tournament if the Tournament Physician determines that the player's condition has improved to the extent that the player may safely physically perform at an appropriate level of play.

P. 281 of the WTA rule book:
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/includes/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/pdfs/shared/thewtatour/officialrules/rules.pdf

But it's not SW that decides, it's the Tournament Physician.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:32 PM

For Heaven's sake Serena - DON'T CONTINUE ON!!! Think long term... THINK!!! :help: :help: :help:

starin
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:37 PM
For Heaven's sake Serena - DON'T CONTINUE ON!!! Think long term... THINK!!! :help: :help: :help:

SERIOUSLY!! both WS make stupid decision sometimes. I understand cuz they are ultimate competitors but did she learn nothing from Wimbledon. After Wimbledon she didn't play until USO.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I hope she'll , I studied for a week hard to see good torenemnt , and latelly I've been cheering for Serena a lot .

Denise4925
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:48 PM
With the critics, she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. I saw some idiot post on the scoring thread, asking why she even entered the YEC if she knew she was injured. That she could have given the spot to someone else.

Well, first of all she got tight while in Madrid in both knees. As she explained, as play went on one got worse and worse. So, she didn't know she wasn't fit to play. Personally, I think this is a trainer's mistake, not Serena's. Secondly, even if she did think she was not fit to play and she withdrew, she'd draw criticism from the same people complaining about her trying to play, for always withdrawing.

Now that she has played and retired, the critics are saying that she if she plays tomorrow, she's not really injured. Well probably not, merely tight and not wanting to do more damage knowing she may be able to recover and play again. The fact that she's not injured, should be something to be thankful about, not criticize.

If she doesn't play tomorrow, another idiot has already stated that she faked retiring against Chaky b/c she was too afraid to play Justine tomorrow :rolleyes: How stupid is that? Why not just beat Chaky or finish the match and retire during play against Justine if she has some ulterior motive?

Like I say, whatever she does she will be criticized by the biggest hypocritical fans on the message board.

vejh
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I don't know what her doctors/trainers/physios are telling her but they ALL need to be fired. First, Serena has bad knees and ankles (can't help thinking this is related to years of poor footwork and top-heaviness) she needs to get into tip-top shape if she wants to play above par tennis with her body intact. She is not taking care of herself. And should she play tomorrow, I can't help losing even more sympathy for her compared to at Wimby. She has one bod, she has to take care of it.

Denise4925
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I don't know what her doctors/trainers/physios are telling her but they ALL need to be fired. First, Serena has bad knees and ankles (can't help thinking this is related to years of poor footwork and top-heaviness) she needs to get into tip-top shape if she wants to play above par tennis with her body intact. She is not taking care of herself. And should she play tomorrow, I can't help losing even more sympathy for her compared to at Wimby. She has one bod, she has to take care of it.

Wow, such an unbised opinion. :rolleyes:

I have to address the footwork comment. :lol: You can't win 8 GS titles with poor footwork. Up until the last couple of years and more especially this year, Serena's footwork has been excellent. It hasn't been their (Venus) footwork that has been criticized over the years, it's been that all they do is bash the ball and don't have a crafty game with spins, volleys and angles. But, they haven't had to, because they had the footwork, speed, timing and talent to win.

If Serena's top heaviness (whatever that means) caused her to have knee problems, then a lot of players on tour have a lot to worry about. If you're talking about her breasts, she's in good company with quite a few players. If you're talking about her butt, there's nothing she can do about it, but I doubt that is what hinders her or caused her knee problems. When she's fit because her butt and thighs are all muscle.

How about her problem being that she's been playing since she was four years old and all of the twisting and turning using her footwork has been hard on her knees. Even machines break down after years of use. A lot of players have knee problems. Look at Rod Laver, he has the worst knees I've ever seen. He can barely move now, and I know you're not going to say his footwork was poor.

Got anymore lame ass criticism?

vejh
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:59 PM
^I thought you weren't supposed to address me again.

Biased/unbiased, you dare to use those terms? Pot..kettle...black?

Denise4925
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:03 AM
^I thought you weren't supposed to address me again.

Biased/unbiased, you dare to use those terms? Pot..kettle...black?

I don't deign to give any advice to Justine or any other player I don't like. So, I dare.

Oh, and I had more to say. Check out my post again.

starin
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:07 AM
She should not play tomorrow. It would be completely moronic to put her health in that kind of danger. If she was not physically able to compete with Anna today, she damn sure won't be able to compete with Justine tomorrow. The only logical explanation was that she was faking an injury and as a fan, I refuse to believe a champion of her caliber would resort to such tactics. Hopefully she rests up and starts working on the upcoming season.

:confused: is it not possible that she injured it a little bit more today in her match and was in a lot of pain today. But she believes that tomorrow somehow, if she takes enough pain medication and moves more carefully she could play tomorrow. Did she not do the same thing at Wimbledon where she couldn't hit a backhand but still played Justine just so taht she could at least try. I think she just wants to get another shot at Justine no matter what form she is in.

Denise4925
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:09 AM
She should not play tomorrow. It would be completely moronic to put her health in that kind of danger. If she was not physically able to compete with Anna today, she damn sure won't be able to compete with Justine tomorrow. The only logical explanation for her retiring today and playing tomorrow was that she was faking an injury and as a fan, I refuse to believe a champion of her caliber would resort to such tactics. Hopefully she rests up and starts working on the upcoming season.

Mo, that's not the only logical explanation. I agree that she shouldn't play tomorrow. Not because Justine could beat her in the shape she is, but that she shouldn't further endanger her knee.

Another logical explanation could be that she got really tight during the match because she didn't have a proper warm-up. Her retiring today and playing tomorrow doesn't mean that she was faking an injury. To me, that's the most illogical, b/c it doesn't make sense.

vejh
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I don't deign to give any advice to Justine or any other player I don't like. So, I dare.

Oh, and I had more to say. Check out my post again.

Remember, you and I are two different persons. Wheras you proudly profess your dislike for Justine Henin I have never said I don't like Serena. And if you didn't know, NOW ya know. FYI, I don't dislike any player on tour, and certainly not to your extent. I can remain unbiased and objective (you should try it sometimes). Now you can say whatever you want about Ju et al, that's not the point. The point is we made an agreement sometime ago not to address each other. let's just stick to that please b/c you're way too annoying/aggressive for me.

BTW, yes you can win 8 GS with poor footwork. Serena has so much other strengths; she's fast (was very fast), very powerful, big serves, and an overall hustler, those things make up for her poor footwork. Top-heavy: she's a big girl for sports. She looks fine, but in a sport where she is running and turning on a whim, she is too heavy. PERIOD. I think Ronaldo is perfect; weight, height etc. but he is constantly being adviced by his doc to lose weight b/c he has knee probs too. And this is appropriate b/c he is an athlete running all the time. Most of these players that have such probs lose weight.

If you really can't see the wisdom in Serena resting her knee after that debacle during and after Wmby then you are dangerously biased and don't even realize it.

Again, if you are going to be rude and disrespectful to me, ignore me, and I'll ignore you.

vejh
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:14 AM
:confused: is it not possible that she injured it a little bit more today in her match and was in a lot of pain today. But she believes that tomorrow somehow, if she takes enough pain medication and moves more carefully she could play tomorrow. Did she not do the same thing at Wimbledon where she couldn't hit a backhand but still played Justine just so taht she could at least try. I think she just wants to get another shot at Justine no matter what form she is in.

Yeah, but look what happened to her after Wimby. It was just a plain stupid decision. She will have an even better shot at Ju if she takes care of her health. It is of utmost importance to all. Don't take pain killers to mask the pain; b/c she would be doing herself a disservice.

cogent53
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:15 AM
None of us know the way Serena's mind works, except that she is a great competitor. We saw in that tournament(forgot which, Linz??) a few weeks back where she played Schnyder and lost 9 games before quitting, that quite clearly Serena will not be told "Don't play." She WANTS to play. However someone, Venus, her mother, needs to give her a proper talking to, and for the sake of her 2008 season, just quit Madrid now. It's not worth risking further injury. Even at her fittest of the year, she would struggle to beat Henin, surely she can see that in her present state, it's a pointless match. The WTA would lose a big draw in Serena, but loads of people would love to see Bartoli/Henin!!
Serena is at a crucial stage in her career IMO. She has the talent, but her body has broken down time and again this year. If she pushes herself too hard and plays injured, surely it will shorten her career. Serena, GET WELL, then come back. Please!

Apoleb
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:17 AM
It would be ridiculous if she decided to continue. I also agree on the fact that players who withdraw from one match shouldn't be allowed to play.

I agree. It's unfair to the other players. If you couldn't finish the match because of whatever reason, then it should be it. What if a player retires because of extra-injury precautions even though they were physically able to finish the match?

dwynn10
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:18 AM
With the critics, she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. I saw some idiot post on the scoring thread, asking why she even entered the YEC if she knew she was injured. That she could have given the spot to someone else.

Well, first of all she got tight while in Madrid in both knees. As she explained, as play went on one got worse and worse. So, she didn't know she wasn't fit to play. Personally, I think this is a trainer's mistake, not Serena's. Secondly, even if she did think she was not fit to play and she withdrew, she'd draw criticism from the same people complaining about her trying to play, for always withdrawing.

Now that she has played and retired, the critics are saying that she if she plays tomorrow, she's not really injured. Well probably not, merely tight and not wanting to do more damage knowing she may be able to recover and play again. The fact that she's not injured, should be something to be thankful about, not criticize.

If she doesn't play tomorrow, another idiot has already stated that she faked retiring against Chaky b/c she was too afraid to play Justine tomorrow :rolleyes: How stupid is that? Why not just beat Chaky or finish the match and retire during play against Justine if she has some ulterior motive?

Like I say, whatever she does she will be criticized by the biggest hypocritical fans on the message board.

I wanted to quote the entire post as a masterpiece of delusional rationalization, because apparently everyone who criticizes this "genius's" precious idol is an idiot. Guess she must be a genius because she (I'm assuming this paragon of intelligence is a female) came up with some really implausibly imaginative excuses for her hero's idiotic action. Keep up the good work!

vettipooh
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:23 AM
From what I saw today, she ain't playing tomorrow. She would be taking a big risk if she does. Serena's knee has never been the same since surgery and now it seems both knees are ailing. :sad:

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:06 AM

close the thread :worship:

Mileen
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM
If i had a penny for each time this was said id have a bunch of money.

Are you forgetting who won 2/4 Grand Slams THIS Year? 2007 Ring a bell?

Are you forgetting who won 2 on her own? Just kidding, lol.

Denise4925
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Remember, you and I are two different persons. Wheras you proudly profess your dislike for Justine Henin I have never said I don't like Serena. And if you didn't know, NOW ya know. FYI, I don't dislike any player on tour, and certainly not to your extent. I can remain unbiased and objective (you should try it sometimes). Now you can say whatever you want about Ju et al, that's not the point. The point is we made an agreement sometime ago not to address each other. let's just stick to that please b/c you're way too annoying/aggressive for me.

BTW, yes you can win 8 GS with poor footwork. Serena has so much other strengths; she's fast (was very fast), very powerful, big serves, and an overall hustler, those things make up for her poor footwork. Top-heavy: she's a big girl for sports. She looks fine, but in a sport where she is running and turning on a whim, she is too heavy. PERIOD. I think Ronaldo is perfect; weight, height etc. but he is constantly being adviced by his doc to lose weight b/c he has knee probs too. And this is appropriate b/c he is an athlete running all the time. Most of these players that have such probs lose weight.

If you really can't see the wisdom in Serena resting her knee after that debacle during and after Wmby then you are dangerously biased and don't even realize it.

Again, if you are going to be rude and disrespectful to me, ignore me, and I'll ignore you.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I never personally criticized you in my post above, as you have done to me in this post. I don't remember any such agreement with you. I can respond to any post I choose to respond to. I suggest if you can't take it, then put me on ignore.

Personally, I think you are biased. You've displayed it in many posts about the WS.

In response to your post, your reasoning is flawed. How can you win 8 GS titles and have poor footwork? It's impossible. You need good footwork in order to make your shots work, especially with as much power as she has and as flat as she hits. As we can see now since Miami, her footwork is poor which is why her shots are going into the net and flying all over the place. That is due to lack of matchplay, fitness and lack of concentrating on the footwork portion of her practices. Serena used to be praised by the commentators for her excellent footwork. Her approaches to short balls, adjusting her feet and taking the little bitty steps to make those adjustments are evidence of excellent footwork.

With regard to her so called heaviness, she is no more heavy than JenCap was at the height of her career in 2000-2001, nor is she anymore heavy than say a Bartoli, Mary Pierce or several others on the tour. In order for her to be more fit, yes she should lose a good 10-20 more pounds and it may have contributed to her knee problems, but she had these knee problems at the height of her career in 2002-2003. That's when they started and she was not heavy then (remember the catsuit?). Venus also has knee problems, as does Justine and several other athletes. You used one example to illustrate your point. I've used several to refute your point, including Rod Laver, but I see that you conveniently failed to address them.

LOL you must have comprehension problems in reading, because I never said Serena should continue. That's not up to me to make that determination. I merely gave an argument as to why she may return, not that she should. As a fan, I'm always looking out for her health and wanting her to do the right thing to make sure that her career lasts as long as it can. I've never criticized her for not playing. I'm not that fan.

Also, what debacle are you talking about during and after Wimbledon? She had a muscle cramp, fell down and injured her thumb during Wimbledon. Because her thumb was injured, she could only hit one-handed backhands, which severly hampered her game against Justine in the next round.

LOL, and what is dangerously biased?? :scratch: :lol: What does that even mean?

Again, unless you're overly sensitive, how can saying that you're biased be rude and disrespectful? Because I disagreed with you? Mercy me, can no one disagree with you without you taking it personally? :confused:

Olórin
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I personally find the notion that Serena has poor footwork in general, one of the most laughable statements I have ever heard uttered.

At the moment, sure it's not very good.

KennyChante4ever
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I personally find the notion that Serena has poor footwork in general, one of the most laughable statements I have ever heard uttered.

At the moment, sure it's not very good.

I also think it's pretty bold to say that considering that Serena has a won a few Slams when she was NOT 100%. There are players who would kill for Serena's quickness, even when it's not at full strength.

Denise4925
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I wanted to quote the entire post as a masterpiece of delusional rationalization, because apparently everyone who criticizes this "genius's" precious idol is an idiot. Guess she must be a genius because she (I'm assuming this paragon of intelligence is a female) came up with some really implausibly imaginative excuses for her hero's idiotic action. Keep up the good work!

Argumentum ad hominem at it's finest. Next time, try addressing the argument itself, if you disagree.

:wavey:

ce
Nov 8th, 2007, 07:38 PM
well even though she isnt playing
this is great news
means that injury isnt that serious :woohoo: