PDA

View Full Version : How many quality competitive matches have there been this year?

IceSkaTennisFan
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:20 PM
How many quality competitive matches have there been this year on the WTA tour?

I recall Serena vs. Justine in Miami, a match between Justine and Amelie at Eastborn, Venus vs. Jankovic at the USO, and that's about it, so 3?

shap_half
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM
JH d AM in Dubai

JH d. VW in USO

JH d. JJ in Toronto

shap_half
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Thank you sir!

mb011
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:26 PM
at least 3 matches between jelena and justine have been very competitive this year. also a semifinal of LA between ana and jelena was extremaly competitive, with ana coming back froma match point down at 4-5 and winning it in some fashion, and after all that match was extremely competitive. also ana vs. sveta at berlin final, and also yesterday at YEC. so, what's your point? i'd say 10+.

justine schnyder
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Justine vs Amelie Dubai, Eastborne
Justine vs JJ Toronto, Berlin, Stuttgart
Justine vs Venus USO
Justine vs Serena Miami
And much more...

Uranium
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Venus vs. Jankovic at the USO,
venus vs. morigami
stevenson vs. fernandez duh

goldenlox
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:03 PM
The wackos running this tournament are idiots. Single elimination.
How many times can people watch Hantuchova?
Do it like a tournament. You don't have 8 players good enough for this.

The design of the YEC is awful, and you get awful unwatchable tennis in most matches.

Poova
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:06 PM
There's been loads:

Jankovic-Safarova at Wimbledon
Venus-Jankovic at USO
Chaky-Krajicek at Wimbledon
Henin-Mauresmo at Eastbourne
Henin-Mauresmo at Dubai
Henin-Jankovic at Berlin

That's just off the top of my head, there's been others too. But the quality for the YEC so far has not really been that great.

vadin124
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Safina vs. Pin - Toronto

Bartoli vs. Henin - Wimbledon

V Williams vs. Jankovic - US Open

goldenlox
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:09 PM
They should be playing with a field of 16. Bring in Bartoli, Dementieva, Petrova, Vaidisova, Golovin, Schnyder, and play a tournament.

AcesHigh
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:56 PM
There's always a lot of quality competitive matches every year. The difference is this year, there has not been too many top-quality matches.

I didn't think the Miami match was that high quality. Serena wasn't playing well, then Henin choked. Mauresmo-Henin in Eastbourne and Henin-Venus at USO is all that I remember. JJ/Venus at USO had some very patchy bad tennis at times and some great tennis at times.. it wasn't as great as some people remember.

switz
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:52 PM
There haven't been many and funnily enough pretty much all the ones i remember involve Jankovic (and i don't think she won many of them either).

Venus vs Jankovic was the only match i actually saw that i really thought was a positive statement for the tour.

Jankovic vs Safarova was good as well but not high profile enough to matter.

Justine vs Amelia at Eastbourne was a good match as well.

Billabong
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Sydney F Clijsters VS Jankovic
Miami F S. Williams VS Henin
Berlin F Ivanovic VS Kuznetsova
Birmingham F Jankovic VS Sharapova
Wimbledon SF Bartoli VS Henin
Toronto F Henin VS Jankovic
US Open QF Venus VS Jankovic

tennis_lover89
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:54 PM
sharapova-schnyder roland garros..

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Ana - Schnyder , Berlin QF

Shepster
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Kuznetsova/Radwanska in Stuttgart was ridiculously high quality, as was Elena/Amelie.

Apoleb
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:04 AM
How many quality competitive matches have there been this year on the WTA tour?

I recall Serena vs. Justine in Miami, a match between Justine and Amelie at Eastborn, Venus vs. Jankovic at the USO, and that's about it, so 3?

errr... You include Venus vs Jankovic and not Venus vs Justine? Quality-wise, that was one of the best matches I've ever seen and easily one of the best this year.

tennis_lover89
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I mean, how can u say there were only 3 competitive matches all year? it's ridiculous

gumoll
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Jankovic vs Clijsters in Sydney was great :drool:

I have to say that Aga - Sveta from Stuttgart was just great :bolt:, many winners and only few UEs :D

DownTheLine21
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Some others:

Ivanovic def. Jankovic (LA SF)
Clijsters def. Jankovic (Sydney F)
Jankovic def. Safarova (Wimbledon 3R)
Henin def. V.Williams (USO SF)

Shepster
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:20 AM
errr... You include Venus vs Jankovic and not Venus vs Justine? Quality-wise, that was one of the best matches I've ever seen and easily one of the best this year.
Exactly, in terms of drama Venus/JJ was fantastic, but there were so ... many ... errors it could hardly be called great quality. Venus/Justine was less dramatic and not as "good" a match in that respect but far superior in quality.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Ivanovic def. Henin (LA SF)

And I thought the match against Jelena was already great ;)

Matt01
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Ana - Schnyder , Berlin QF

I think that was the best match that I have seen this year. :lick: I gave both player a standing ovation when the match was finished :)

supergrunt
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:25 AM
There's always a lot of quality competitive matches every year. The difference is this year, there has not been too many top-quality matches.

I didn't think the Miami match was that high quality. Serena wasn't playing well, then Henin choked. Mauresmo-Henin in Eastbourne and Henin-Venus at USO is all that I remember. JJ/Venus at USO had some very patchy bad tennis at times and some great tennis at times.. it wasn't as great as some people remember.

To be honest, Henin/Venus had one good point :shrug: .

tennis_lover89
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Some others:

Ivanovic def. Henin (LA SF)
Clijsters def. Jankovic (Sydney F)
Jankovic def. Safarova (Wimbledon 3R)
Henin def. V.Williams (USO SF) am I missing something here:confused: :p

DownTheLine21
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:26 AM
And I thought the match against Jelena was already great ;)

am I missing something here:confused: :p

Sorry about that. I guess I was thinking of her eventual defeat of Henin at the YEC.

tennis_lover89
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Sorry about that. I guess I was thinking of her eventual defeat of Henin at the YEC.
lol ;)

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:34 AM

True, but that's the final and not semi final.

esquímaux
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:46 AM
They all seem to involve Justine :confused::cuckoo::Jujucentric:

AcesHigh
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:09 AM

:confused: Henin-Venus was the best slam match this year.. possibly best overall match this year and the highest quality tennis maybe since 2005? The importance of it alone was incredible because it was pretty clear that whoever won it would be doing something historic in eventually winning the title(sorry Sveta). Henin getting to 7 slams or Venus getting to 7 slams and achieving the Wimby-USO double for the third time.

Apoleb
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:17 AM

*DEAD* The one Venus won when trying to pass Justine, right?

Exactly, in terms of drama Venus/JJ was fantastic, but there were so ... many ... errors it could hardly be called great quality. Venus/Justine was less dramatic and not as "good" a match in that respect but far superior in quality.

Yep. Venus/Jelena had a few nice rallys, but most of it was a horrible error fest, especially in the third. Only the drama and Jelena's stupid attitude made it interesting.

The first set between Justine and Venus was spectacular, especially towards the end. All the shots were heavy, deep and fast. Not to mention the way they were covering the court.

Tennisstar86
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:29 AM

so... I assume you didnt actually watch this match.... This is the match that will stick in my mind from 2007.No the quality wasnt great all the way through out. Venus got off to a slow start, was standing in the wrong place on Henins serve... but once she moved back... the quality of tennis was much better than anything i had seen all year from any player (cept maybe Serena AO 07 Final...that match still brings me joy and im not even a serena fan...hrmm wonder why i liked it so much...) until about 3-3 second set when it looked like Venus was gonna take the momentem with the break up love-40 but then Henin started having breathing problems and Venus was Dizzy, and henin crawled across the finish line before Venus, but before that it was great tennis .. I havent seen every match played so i cant say theres only been 3.... but this was def the Best i have seen.

The jankovic match was decent, but the diferrence was when 1 player was playing well the other one really want playing that well... and then that tiebreak was def not high quality tennis... competitive match though.

stevos
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:54 AM

That's funny, because I can completely remember you saying you thought that match was amazing, as I remember complimenting you on finally saying a match was good.

AcesHigh
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:02 AM
That's funny, because I can completely remember you saying you thought that match was amazing, as I remember complimenting you on finally saying a match was good.

haha, i actually remember that. I've changed my opinion. It was a good match, but rewatching some matches this year.. I realize that I was a little bias in that it's too of my faves, my top fave won and definitely high drama.

But yea, there have been a lot of good matches this year... just not many amazing matches. I think when you remove the drama and excitement of the time from some matches, you realize they weren't that great... like Hingis-Venus in Warsaw I believe, last year. Bad quality but high drama.

DownTheLine21
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:33 AM
I saw Henin/Venus live at Arthur Ashe, and it was definitely one of the best matches of the year. Aside from the actual tennis, the atmosphere was fantastic. The crowd loved every second of it.

vma
Nov 8th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Kuznetsova/Radwanska in Stuttgart was ridiculously high quality

agreed :worship:
the first post is a little bit :weirdo: only 3 high quality matches in one season? i say hey, there have been many of them
some people tend to forget there is actually some tennis not shown on TV

OsloErik
Nov 8th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Well, pre-US Hardcourt swing, there's:

Sydney Final: Clijsters def. Jankovic
Aussie R32: Peer def. Golovin (that was a GOOD match)
Aussie QF: Serena def. Peer (my GOD that was the turning point)
Dubai Final: Henin def. Mauresmo
Berlin QF: Henin def. Jankovic (that was great clay tennis)
Berlin Final: Ivanovic def. Kuznetsova
Eastbourne Finale: Henin def. Mauresmo
Wimbledon R128: Kuznetsova def. Vakulenko (the winner-error ratio was incredible, IIRC)
Wimbledon Semi: Bartoli def. Henin (Henin didn't really drop a level, Bartoli just didn't let her play aggressive)

Were any of these classics? No. The deep end of the slams haven't had any truly classic matches this year. But many of these were VERY high quality matches.