PDA

View Full Version : So should Serena have just withdrawn from the YEC?

mdterp01
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Serena made a comment that she has not felt this kind of pain since her knee surgery. Given that she's wrapped up like a mummy, should she just have withdrew from the YEC and given it to someone who could've played at 100%. Man, I tell you..this injury stuff sucks.

Dodoboy.
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:51 PM
WHY!?! god why!?!

Mr. Magassi
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I thought she was fit and ready to play Justine? This is awful...

serenafan08
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I don't know what to say...maybe she should have just rested her body and stayed home.

PatrickRyan
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I thought she was fit and ready to play Justine? This is awful...

It doesn't mean she's not fit, she's had problems with that knee since 2003.

serenus_2k8
So sick of this...commit and get fit ffs!!!

Pureracket
yea

John.
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:55 PM
No

mdterp01
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I say she really needs to do whatever to strengthen that knee. She's got some major defending to do at the Australian Open. She will take quite a tumble if she doesn't do well in Melbourne.

esquímaux
Serena made a comment that she has not felt this kind of pain since her knee surgery. Given that she's wrapped up like a mummy, should she just have withdrew from the YEC and given it to someone who could've played at 100%. Man, I tell you..this injury stuff sucks.:lol::o

Olórin
So sick of this...commit and get fit ffs!!!

She's showing her commitment by turning up here. There's a difference between being unfit and being injured.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:57 PM
she may now be feeling it now that's she's playing an actual match....probably didn't feel like that in her normal everyday moving about

starin
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:58 PM
well at least she tried. I think it would be disappointing not to try. If she's in that much pain why is she still playing? I don't understand that. She should just retire and let Marion play instead for the next few matches. A Marion/Henin rematch would be exciting as well.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:58 PM
i don't get why people say she's not fit...on the men's tour rafa is one of the fittest guys on tour but yet has bad knee problems coming down the stretch of the past 2 seasons

Dodoboy.
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:59 PM
She Has Retired!!!
:( I Hate This!!

GoDominique
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Yes, and she's an idiot for not doing it.

iWill
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I thought she would be ready but injuries just keep finding their way back into her life..... I don't think she could have known her knee would act like this... she was actually crying on the court and thats the second time this year, I don't ever remember her crying on court until now. She should withdraw from the tourney cuz shes not 100% and let Bartoli play. Its the right thing to do for her body and for the fans who came to see quality tennis.

starin
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:14 PM
it would have been nicer to Bartoli or whoever, but tennis is an individual sport. If she believed there was a chance she could compete out there (which she obviously did) then I don't fault her for at least trying. It's sad to see Serena struggle so much this year with injuries. That knee has really effed up her career. Kinda like how the Venus' wrist injury kept plaguing her for years.

TLP
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I adore Justine but she has played or has attempted to play in the past when she shouldn't. How do you tell an 8 time slam winner, an athlete with the heart and drive of a champion, not to go out and perform. Serena wanted to give it a try but that knee of her's is doggy and has been since she had it surgically repaired. I hope for the best.

dylan24
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:18 PM
she showed up to get paid
simple as that

50Sense
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I don't know if it was the taping or what, but I think Serena's legs looked smaller than they had previously, so maybe she had been attempting to get more fit. But, sometimes an injury like that just won't go away.

JustinTimberlake
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:20 PM
How many times she retired for this season?
But, she still said she could be No.1, and got ready to come back for No.1.
What an arrogant!

LoveFifteen
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM
You should change your flag so that people will be more forgiving of your poor English. :hug:

DokicPova
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:23 PM
she's so unprofessional, what a disgrace toreal players

IceSkaTennisFan
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM
You should change your flag so that people will be more forgiving of your poor English. :hug:

Maybe he really doesn't know what to say...or how to say it :tape:

danieln1
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Because of the photo shoots!

Slumpsova
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:39 PM
don't forget to beat Henin before you leave, Sere.

alwayshingis
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:43 PM
i don't get why people say she's not fit...on the men's tour rafa is one of the fittest guys on tour but yet has bad knee problems coming down the stretch of the past 2 seasons

I don't think they are referring to fitness. They mean she was not "fit to play" in the match, which she clearly was not.

darrinbaker00
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM
She's showing her commitment by turning up here. There's a difference between being unfit and being injured.
No, there isn't. If you're fit, then you're not injured. If you're injured, then you're not fit.

That being said, if Serena didn't honestly think she could play, she would not have shown up in Madrid. My question is, has she pulled out for good, or is she going to give it another go tomorrow?

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Her retirement against Patty in Zurich this year is a clear indication she wasn't 100% (or even 50%) fit to play.

She should have stayed at home and rest. Now, she risk aggrevating her injury again, and might have to stay out of the Tour for a long, long time.

It's such a sad thing... :sad:

Siyasema
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I would rather Serena concentrate on 2008 rather than risk further damage. I'm proud of her in that she was determined enough to make it the YEC but at this moment, I just cannot see the reasoning behind continuing if you aren't fully fit to compete at a high level.