PDA

View Full Version : That thump you heard was my jaw dropping: Pat Robertson endorses Guiliani

griffin
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:03 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/11/07/conservatives.endorsements/index.html

Call it a battle for the hearts and minds of Christian conservative voters.

Pat Robertson, right, endorses Rudy Giuliani Wednesday in Giuliani's quest to be the GOP presidential nominee.

Pat Robertson, the television evangelist and Christian Coalition founder, endorsed Republican White House hopeful Rudy Giuliani for president when the two men appeared together at the National Press Club in Washington on Wednesday.

Robertson said he decided to endorse Giuliani because he was "a proven leader who is not afraid of what lies ahead and who will cast a hopeful vision for all Americans."

"In all of the crises which confront our nation and the world, we need a leader with a bold vision who is not afraid to tackle the challenges ahead," Robertson said. Video Watch Robertson call Giuliani ready to lead

Meanwhile, former White House hopeful Sen. Sam Brownback, a Kansas Republican who is the leading voice for Christian conservatives in the Senate, will endorse Sen. John McCain for president, McCain's campaign announced Wednesday.

The Giuliani campaign hopes the Robertson endorsement will help the former New York City mayor to make inroads among evangelical Christians. Giuliani is trying to make the case with social conservative voters that despite his support for abortion and gay rights, he is an acceptable choice as the Republican presidential nominee.

It was Robertson's 1988 presidential campaign that, while unsuccessful, established evangelical voters as a dominant force within the Republican Party.

Robertson has repeatedly praised Giuliani despite their major differences on social policy. Both men say a friendship developed after a long conversation on a plane during a trip to Israel several years ago. Another thing both men have in common is that they are prostate cancer survivors.

Giuliani is the frontrunner in the national polls, but he trails in surveys in many of the early primary and caucus states, among them Iowa and South Carolina, where social conservative voters make up a major part of the Republican voting electorate.

The Robertson endorsement may also quash talk of a social conservative third party candidate if Giuliani wins the nomination...

America's pre-eminent Evangelical pro-"family values," anti-abortion, anti-gay figurehead endorsing a twice-divorced, sort-of-progay, kinda-ok-with-abortion, occasionally-dress-wearing Catholic?

Dang, they really do hate Mormons! :lol:

Infiniti2001
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Pat Robertson continues to prove his increasing irrelevance:lol: I'm not sure if
that helps or hurts Giuliani. Robertson has become an embarrassment to
the religious right and he (like Giuliani himself) is a ticking time bomb who
could say something outrageus and destructive at any point. I can hardly wait
until Mr 911 has to defend Robertson blaming 9-11 on gays, feminists, pagans and the ACLU. :haha:

LoveFifteen
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I guess Robertson realizes that Guiliani is the only way to stop Clinton, and now he'll do all he can to get evangelicals to support the former NYC mayor.

griffin
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I don't know if he's irrelevant to the conservative Christians that the GOP is worried about losing...

I really don't care in the end - it's not like I'd vote for any of them in the general election anyway (as long as it's not Milt Romney. I HATE Milt Romney). I'm just gobsmacked that Robertson picked Rudy over some of the other candidates.

Apoleb
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I HATE Milt Romney

He's easily the most vile candidate.

Scotso
Nov 8th, 2007, 07:25 AM
As with the whole Ron Paul thing, I'm not going to judge Giuliani by the extremist nutjobs that support him.

I still can't stand him, though.

griffin
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:19 PM
As with the whole Ron Paul thing, I'm not going to judge Giuliani by the extremist nutjobs that support him.

For me, it's not about judging Rudy by who supports him - it's about judging Robertson for endorsing the candidate who's views and history least match his own :lol:

samsung101
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Preeminent evangelical?
I didn't know there was an organizational chart of 350 million people in
the USA, where old Pat was at the top of this category.

He is a famous Christian preacher, a successful and groundbreaking television
figure, and a man who ran for the office 20 years ago. I give him all that, and
The 700 Club is a popular show on ION and other small networks.

But, the man does not speak for every person who calls themself a Christian. Nor
should he.

Nor should Oral Roberts or Benny Hinn or Rick Warren or Paula White (a recent divorcee)
or Joyce Meyers.

I'm not surprised by it though.

Robertson has made foreign policy a top issue of his for years. On that one issue, he
puts Rudy above all the others, by making the safety of the USA #1. Without the security
of the USA in tact, the Constitution falls away, and the Christian foundation of the USA
falls apart.

The 700 Club can influence a lot of people, it does give Rudy a boost from the right.

Also, ignoring Rudy and possibly the GOP candidate, only makes your vote a little less
viable later on. Pat Roberston gets that too. Be heard or not heard at all at the RNC.

Rudy has made a good run of late making speeches to Christian outlets, about abortion, and
his stand on it, and his stand on the judges. A man who will choose conservative judges
in Rudy's case is how he tries to offset his liberal abortion stand. He is against
partial birth abortion, and additional funding for abortion, and laws that keep parents
out of the equation with minors. He has some mild credentials on the issue. Not much
though.

Which is why a Rudy-Romney ticket would likely emerge. Rudy needs a visible, strong, vocal
conservative on his ticket.

*JR*
Nov 9th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Rudy needs a visible, strong, vocal
conservative on his ticket.
How about Bernie Kerrick? :devil:

mykarma
Nov 9th, 2007, 03:14 AM
How about Bernie Kerrick? :devil:
:lol:. You know Samsung only talks to herself.

fioredeliberi
Nov 9th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Looks like it will be Rudy against the White Witch of Narnia.

SelesFan70
Nov 9th, 2007, 07:03 AM
It's a big endorsement, but not a watershed. Robertson doesn't have the clout he once did. Don't be surprised to see a Giuliani/Huckabee ticket to further assuage the social conservatives.

Mrs. Clinton will most likely choose Richardson...perhaps Jim Webb, senator from Virginia.

Wigglytuff
Nov 9th, 2007, 07:36 AM
i see no difference between these two, they are both motivated by money and hypocrisy. Nothing strange about these bedfellows. Now if guli or patty decided to go on a tour of africa to ask for more aid or if they said they would raise taxes for the top 1% of americans to help fund schools or they actually live like they say others should THEN i would be shocked.

Infiniti2001
Nov 9th, 2007, 07:42 AM
It's a big endorsement, but not a watershed. Robertson doesn't have the clout he once did. Don't be surprised to see a Giuliani/Huckabee ticket to further assuage the social conservatives.

Mrs. Clinton will most likely choose Richardson...perhaps Jim Webb, senator from Virginia.

That's because they realized he is indeed coocoo :tape: :lol:

*JR*
Nov 9th, 2007, 08:21 PM
http://www.democrats.us/images/toon110907.jpg

wta_zuperfann
Nov 10th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Self righteous Robertson endorsing a transvestite for prez? Didn't he know that cross dressing is sin?

Deuteronomy 22:5 reads,

neither shall a man put on women's garments for this is abomination unto the Lord thy God

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/L/e/1/giuliani_in_drag2.jpg

:haha:

tterb
Nov 10th, 2007, 07:38 PM

I still can't stand him, though.
Oh, I'd say he's given us enough all on his own to judge by.

A Giuliani-Romney ticket would be nausea-inducing. But on the other hand, if people truly hate flip-flopping on issues so much that they'd vote Bush back into office over Kerry, that ticket seems like a Democratic slam dunk.*

*This assumes voters aren't hypocrites, of course. Which I think we know isn't the case.