PDA

View Full Version : Why did they play in Madrid?

nhissan
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Is it a joke there's nobody in the stadium :help:

Slumpsova
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:27 PM
that bc Nicole doesn't show up as the audience has expected :sad:

tennis_lover89
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:31 PM
uhmm the audience waiting for nicole? :spit:

brent-o
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I don't remember it being very crowded when it was in L.A., was it?

Lulu.
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I don't remember it being very crowded when it was in L.A., was it?

Yes it was. A lot more people were there.

willrock
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:44 PM
and wait for Doha next year it'll be much worse IMO ...

Sefo
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM
It's because they don't have spanish woman playing, unlike men.
It's disgusting to see all the matches are in prime time (after 18:00) yet tens of people are there.

Poova
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I don't think women's tennis is that big in Spain. It would help if they actually had a decent women's player at least. :lol:

GoDominique
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:49 PM
This event would be struggling anywhere in the world.

The Daviator
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:49 PM
There's no atmosphere at all :help: They need to bring it back to Madison Square Garden.

Dexter
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I don't remember it being very crowded when it was in L.A., was it?Whenever I think of the audience at YEC when it was in LA I'm starting to laugh. :tape::lol:

LoveFifteen
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Agreed. It needs to be in a city with absolutely nothing else to do. That's why the ATP's Masters Series in Cincy is always so crowded! :help:

nhissan
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:06 PM
it's terrible there's something like 50 people I hope it won't be in Madrid next year it's not a good thing for the players

LoveFifteen
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM
It wasn't this empty last year, and we all know why: Martina Hingis.

:sobbing:

Pushkin
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:19 PM
There's a good crowd it's just the stupid VIP seats that are deserted...Big Companies pay lots of money for those vip seats but then their people just show up once in a while...The rest of the stadium is full. Anyway why don't you play this event where's there's a national interest. new stadium in Belgrade Moscow Brussels MSG or even in Paris would be always full including the stupid vip seats. The match a great that's what matters.

tae04
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:23 PM
it was always empty in LA besided nite matches when serena played lol

they should have it in CHINA like the men, it would be a FULL HOUSE guranteed

n.sad
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:26 PM
move it to Belgrade and you will see audience :)

Pushkin
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:28 PM
This Event is TV and Sponsors driven. What you don't understand is the arena is 90% full let's say about 13 500/15 000 but the VIP empty seats are actually sold. Don't worry come Friday Night and the 1/2 and final it will be 100% full even if it is already 100% sold...

Poova
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:28 PM
There's a good crowd it's just the stupid VIP seats that are deserted...Big Companies pay lots of money for those vip seats but then their people just show up once in a while...The rest of the stadium is full. Anyway why don't you play this event where's there's a national interest. new stadium in Belgrade Moscow Brussels MSG or even in Paris would be always full including the stupid vip seats. The match a great that's what matters.
Because Madrid offered more money. :o It's all about money, which is a shame, but that's the way it is. :shrug:

tennisfan5
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:51 PM
should never have moved it from New york. Was a great event there.

faboozadoo15
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:56 PM
and wait for Doha next year it'll be much worse IMO ...

Tennis events in the middle east are HUGE.

faboozadoo15
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:58 PM
There's no atmosphere at all :help: They need to bring it back to Madison Square Garden.

The YEC will never be the same outside that terrific venue for tennis :sad:

©@®eLess
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I thought you would say

Why do they play in Madrid...why they just dont hand the trophy to Justine :lol:?

dybbuk
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Agreed. Bring back Madison Square Garden and the 16-player Format. :worship:

Viktymise
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Can't say people are missing too much :tape:

willrock
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Tennis events in the middle east are HUGE.

Dubai yes Doha not really...

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:46 PM
next yr after weeks of indoor tennis

YEC is gonna be on rebound ace outdoors.
Not sure if Doha are gonna change their court surface yet, ATP Doha in january will tell us more.

Billabong
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Hingis' matches were definitely all crowded last year, all 3 matches she played were fabulous ones:)

cypher_88
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:12 PM
next yr after weeks of indoor tennis

YEC is gonna be on rebound ace outdoors.
Not sure if Doha are gonna change their court surface yet, ATP Doha in january will tell us more.

WHAAT?????:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:
YEC should be an indoor tennis tournament. just because people with money want it in Doha, doesn't mean it should lose all its features. stupid decision from the WTA:rolleyes:

switz
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:18 PM
WHAAT?????:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:
YEC should be an indoor tennis tournament. just because people with money want it in Doha, doesn't mean it should lose all its features. stupid decision from the WTA:rolleyes:

they have to do whatever it takes to make this event profitable and less of a joke. if that means moving it outdoors in the middle east then it's the right decision.

a lot of people don't get that the the WTA tour is a business and they want to make money. They don't really give a shit about what hardcore fans wants - it's about satisfying their sponsors and bringing the big $$$$$.

Leo_DFP
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:08 AM

I think it would do great back in NYC.

And re. ATP TMS Cincy, it's actually pretty empty during the early part of the week and I feel most of the other Masters events get better crowds.

But I still think Madrid is doing better than LA so far. Remember LA in 2002? It was pathetic, esp. because they scheduled most matches during the day instead of at night. And Munich in 2001? Also terrible.

Doha next year = horrible decision.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Yesterday it was more than half empty in Ana's match. It's number 2 against 4, what more can you want? I heard that people left cause they have to get up early for work.
Today with Henin - Jankovic there wasn't much either.

Paris75
Nov 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM
OMG ! The audience is sooo quiet !! Hoppefully, the tournament will move next year, I'm sure Doha's audience will be much more expressive !!

gotthebend
Nov 9th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Dead atmosphere and empty seats also make TV viewers feel boring and uneasy I guess.

Lapin
Nov 9th, 2007, 10:57 PM
The atmosphere last year was really great :) I think, without meaning to be disrespectful to some of the players there, that it's maybe because some of the players are less well known this year. Last year there was Kim, Amélie and Martina who are better known and also come from nearby countries meaning a lot of their fans could travel there. Last year there seemed a good fan group for every player and everyone was quite vocal in their support. The stadium was always pretty full too.

YEC to Doha (and I know it's just for the money) is very sad :sad: :(