PDA

View Full Version : Hingis getting caught - shows that the anti-doping system is getting better.

dave1971
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:07 PM
It's a positive thing for tennis that Hingis got caught for using a banned substance and has been exposed, because it shows other players, including any top stars who might be tempted to take something, that the testing is working and they can be caught too. In past time when the WTA controlled the drug testing you can be sure that we would never hear about Hingis or some other top star testing positive for coke, now the news got out and it is very devastating for Hingis and the testers showed they are not afraid to take on a top star like Hingis with millions of dollars and high-power legal team.

:worship: to the drug testers

thiskidhasit
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:19 PM
It's a positive thing for tennis that Hingis got caught for using a banned substance and has been exposed, because it shows other players, including any top stars who might be tempted to take something, that the testing is working and they can be caught too. In past time when the WTA controlled the drug testing you can be sure that we would never hear about Hingis or some other top star testing positive for coke, now the news got out and it is very devastating for Hingis and the testers showed they are not afraid to take on a top star like Hingis with millions of dollars and high-power legal team.

:worship: to the drug testers

old news, moving on.....

What did you think of yesterday's YEC matches?

mboyle
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Um...first of all, Martina has not been proven guilty, and, at least here in the United States, she is therefore innocent and this proves nothing.

Second, even if she were proven guilty, it would be for using a recreational drug, granted a really dangerous one, but still not a performance enhancing drug. Also, Martina's hair test shows that there is not a traceable amount in her system, meaning if she did use it, she used it one time in a small amount (and even that is unlikely.) This begs the question: what is worse, using cocaine one time, or getting drunk two or three times a week (as many American high school and college students do, and maybe some other tour players do)?

dave1971
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Um...first of all, Martina has not been proven guilty, and, at least here in the United States, she is therefore innocent and this proves nothing.

Second, even if she were proven guilty, it would be for using a recreational drug, granted a really dangerous one, but still not a performance enhancing drug. Also, Martina's hair test shows that there is not a traceable amount in her system, meaning if she did use it, she used it one time in a small amount (and even that is unlikely.) This begs the question: what is worse, using cocaine one time, or getting drunk two or three times a week (as many American high school and college students do, and maybe some other tour players do)?

maybe you are right but the moral judgement is not the point, the thing is that Hingis took a banned substance and got caught, and that is a deterrent to any top player who thinks that her being a star makes her safe from being caught and being exposed if she using some banned drugs.

anyway, nobody with any sense believes that stuff about "hair test", that is a waste of time and proves nothing.

thiskidhasit
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:32 PM
maybe you are right but the moral judgement is not the point, the thing is that Hingis took a banned substance and got caught, and that is a deterrent to any top player who thinks that her being a star makes her safe from being caught and being exposed if she using some banned drugs.

anyway, nobody with any sense believes that stuff about "hair test", that is a waste of time and proves nothing.

What did you think of yesterday's matches, buddy?

Donny
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM

That's in the court of law. The WTA= a business. Therefore, they can use whichever standards they deem fit. They could very well assume she's guilty, with the burden of proof placed on her, not them. And they'd be well within their rights to do this. Why should the WTA have to prove to the media and the public, as well as Hingis, that their drug tests were in fact accurate? Do you think any other employer would do the same should a worker come up positive?

Second, even if she were proven guilty, it would be for using a recreational drug, granted a really dangerous one, but still not a performance enhancing drug. Also, Martina's hair test shows that there is not a traceable amount in her system, meaning if she did use it, she used it one time in a small amount (and even that is unlikely.)

Cocaine is a stimulant. It was used for centuries as a medicinal agent. Up until about 80 years ago, cocaine was put in soft drinks.

This begs the question: what is worse, using cocaine one time, or getting drunk two or three times a week (as many American high school and college students do, and maybe some other tour players do)?

You're using the term 'begging the question' incorrectly. But your right, it does raise the question of which is worse. And seeing as cocaine is both illegal in her home country, in the UK, where Wimbledon is, and BANNED by the WTA, I must say that the cocaine is worst. If you find the rules irrational, then you either follow them, refuse to follow them and quit playing on the tour, or break them, and face the consequences when you're caught.

That said, I don't know if she used coke or not. But nothing so far has led me to believe that Hingis' word is more reliable than drug tests.

MatchpointPRT
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:05 PM
She was caught? I didn´t know that... at the moment she is innocent because nothing has been proven and the accusation of the positive test was exposed by Martina, she didn´t even need to do it and you probably wouldn´t even heard about this... let´s see how this ends... but for you seems too simple to find who is innocent and who is guilty, you would have lots of success in doing that, lol (thread starter)

thiskidhasit
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:20 PM
This guy is a troll - he won't even respond to me asking about the YEC matches. He just wants to bash Hingis, not talk tennis which is what this site is about... blah.

LeonHart
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:44 PM
lol@people that say cocaine is a stimulant.

A'DAM
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Well cocaine is NOT a doping and I cant understand why it is treated like that :o :rolleyes:

Bacardi
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Hingis is innocent until proven otherwise, and I don't think she would have taken such a thing.

Say what you want about this proving that the anti-doping system in tennis is getting better... BULL SHIT... if it were getting better it would have busted Serena and Venus years ago. Until those 2 go down for the performance enhancers we all know they've been guilty of using, then nothing's changed in tennis and it's still the same. It just depends on who and what you are, as to if you get in trouble for doing certain things. Unfair all around, and now tennis is a big fat joke with Hingis gone. WHo wants to watch overgrown giants slug it out: Venus/Serena/Etc? Who wants to watch an emotionless champion who's of average size have nothing but her life on the court: Henin? And who wants to watch something, where you don't know if the match has been fixed due to gambling? Or if the player you support happens to play a bad match, ends up getting fined for not giving a full effort: when they could have been sick or otherwise? Or heck, you can't even watch a Davis Cup match anymore without wondering if a players going to get poisoned? Tennis has turned into a freak show carnival. I doubt I'll ever watch it again, I know for certain I'll never attend an event unless it's a Hingis exhibition.

Infiniti2001
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Hingis is innocent until proven otherwise, and I don't think she would have taken such a thing.

Say what you want about this proving that the anti-doping system in tennis is getting better... BULL SHIT... if it were getting better it would have busted Serena and Venus years ago. Until those 2 go down for the performance enhancers we all know they've been guilty of using, then nothing's changed in tennis and it's still the same. It just depends on who and what you are, as to if you get in trouble for doing certain things. Unfair all around, and now tennis is a big fat joke with Hingis gone. WHo wants to watch overgrown giants slug it out: Venus/Serena/Etc? Who wants to watch an emotionless champion who's of average size have nothing but her life on the court: Henin? And who wants to watch something, where you don't know if the match has been fixed due to gambling? Or if the player you support happens to play a bad match, ends up getting fined for not giving a full effort: when they could have been sick or otherwise? Or heck, you can't even watch a Davis Cup match anymore without wondering if a players going to get poisoned? Tennis has turned into a freak show carnival. I doubt I'll ever watch it again, I know for certain I'll never attend an event unless it's a Hingis exhibition.

Damn hypocrite!! Here you are defending hingis yet accusing others:rolleyes:

friendsita
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:24 PM
go to hell

.ivy.
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:33 PM
You're using the term 'begging the question' incorrectly. But your right, it does raise the question of which is worse.

:lol:

.ivy.
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:35 PM
You're using the term 'begging the question' incorrectly. But your right, it does raise the question of which is worse.

:lol:

Yasmine
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:43 PM
There have been more than enough threads on the subjects that you can use and post in: http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=3225180.