PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova back. (effects on Serena's play?)

serenus_2k8
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:47 AM
How do you think having Sharapova back will effect Serenas play? Many people think that Serena only seems interested in beating Sharapova...so do you think we will see her motivation improve if she knows Sharapova is back in the field??? :confused: :confused:

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 7th, 2007, 12:03 PM
nope...i don't think masha has anything to do with it...it once was her motivation after 04 but not since she's won the last 3 and the last 2 in such devastating fashion...her motivation was to show those two losses to her in those finals were flukes and that Serena was still on top...now it's jh serena is after since she lost 3 straight times to her after miami...and wimby was her best shot with how well she was playing but got injured last minute...no backhand and still 3 sets means that was her match...

serenus_2k8
Nov 7th, 2007, 12:39 PM
oooh yeh i forgot ! So that means the YEC is really the make or break for Serena - she either proves she has what it takes to beat Justine or Henin will be the clear better player???

Is this court good for Serena or not?

Olórin
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:10 PM
This is Serena's tenth year as a tennis pro, no single tournament can be "make or break" for a player with such a long career.

serenus_2k8
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Did you even read the post? I said in terms of her rivalry with Justine not as a player in general.

It seems like after Miami there has been something affecting Serena in the other encounters, so now that there is a match where Serena is not injured it can settle the difference in opinions with the rivalry.

Olórin
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Did you even read the post? I said in terms of her rivalry with Justine not as a player in general.

It seems like after Miami there has been something affecting Serena in the other encounters, so now that there is a match where Serena is not injured it can settle the difference in opinions with the rivalry.

Well did you read my post? I didn't say make or break as player in general. I meant make or break as regards to any aspect of her tennis, which includes her 6 year rivalry with Justine Henin.

Serena wasn't injured when she played Henin at the French Open. If any thing that was the make or break match, and she got broken. :mad: This match really isn't that important imho, she has nothing to lose against Henin and just needs to play as well as she can. Trying to qualify to for the YEC semis is her top priority.

new-york
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:48 PM
i edited the title a bit.

i don't think that Sharapova being back will change anything for Serena except when she's playing her.
Maybe if Maria wins the Yec Serena will feel like she can totally do big too but she's already feeling that i guess.

Sharapova hasn't been a problem lately.

doni1212
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Why is it that you people think Sharapova is "back"? All because of a match against Hantuchova?!!
I'm waiting to see what she does against Ivanovic, before I say anything about her being "back".

serenus_2k8
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Well did you read my post? I didn't say make or break as player in general. I meant make or break as regards to any aspect of her tennis, which includes her 6 year rivalry with Justine Henin.

Serena wasn't injured when she played Henin at the French Open. If any thing that was the make or break match, and she got broken. :mad: This match really isn't that important imho, she has nothing to lose against Henin and just needs to play as well as she can. Trying to qualify to for the YEC semis is her top priority.

What you mean and what you say arent always the same ;) but fair enough you corrected yourself!

At the French Open, Henin winning would have just brought the year h2h to 1-1 wouldnt it? That would hardly have established one as the better player. I guess we will never know now anyway - but the rivalry will no doubt be alive in 2008 with a fresh H2H for the year!

Woop!!!

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 9th, 2007, 10:25 AM
i think Serena will be eager as well to put to bed the rumours that she can't keep up with jh's all-court game :rolleyes: and can't play on clay....those i think will be her motivation

Renalicious
Nov 9th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I don't think it will effect Serena...Sharapova may be back but I don't think she's back-enough to beat Serena. She may take a set the next time they play, but I don't think the match.

serenus_2k8
Nov 10th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I dunno, i think Serena loves beating Sharapova so if she sees Maria winning it might motivate her to come out guns blazing! Would be good if there was a 3 way rivalry between Maria-Serena-Henin...maybe Venus in ther too. I hate Henin dominating so much its sooo boring!!

-VSR-
Nov 10th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I'm just finished re-watching the Australian Open '05 Semifinal. Serena showed so much heart and determination in that match. I miss it, the emotion and her fitness was incredible. She moved around the court so well and her game started clicking at the end as well. I miss that Serena, I think she'll do well in Australia if she's fit and healthy. She always seems to do well in Melbourne, probably always remembering all the good memories. I can't wait for January! :D

serenus_2k8
Nov 10th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I can either see their being a huge upset or I think Serena will Demolish everyone!
I hope Venus has a great run in Australlia too. Id love to see them get a good draw and make it into the QF togetha..then who knows!!!

U think she can defend it or not??

-VSR-
Nov 10th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I'd rather have Venus beat Serena in the final. But if Venus can't win it, for sure Serena will defend it. I reallly think Venus will be her main rival if she's fit, she will defeat Henin.

Uranium
Nov 11th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Sharapova sucks, serena was good before sharapova played and serena will be better than sharapova forever.
Sharapova isn't back, she played players she should beat and had great records against. glad she lost today to knock maria fans of comeback train.
Venus will win 2008 Australian open.

doni1212
Nov 11th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Sharapova sucks, serena was good before sharapova played and serena will be better than sharapova forever.
Sharapova isn't back, she played players she should beat and had great records against. glad she lost today to knock maria fans of comeback train.
Venus will win 2008 Australian open.

Agree with everything you said, except I hope Serena wins AO 08 and lots more, :yeah:
But if she can't for some reason, of course Venus is next on my list :)

Uranium
Nov 11th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Agree with everything you said, except I hope Serena wins AO 08 and lots more, :yeah:
But if she can't for some reason, of course Venus is next on my list :)

But serena already won 3 times, it's venus' turn to win it for first time lol.

doni1212
Nov 11th, 2007, 06:54 PM
But serena already won 3 times, it's venus' turn to win it for first time lol.

Lol, I see where your coming from. But does that mean you want Serena to win Wimbledon, lol?

Uranium
Nov 11th, 2007, 07:09 PM
No, i want Serena to win French to get 2 of every slam and U.S., Venus win AO and Wimbledon.
Actually french idc, as long as one of them win.

doni1212
Nov 11th, 2007, 07:45 PM
No, i want Serena to win French to get 2 of every slam and U.S., Venus win AO and Wimbledon.
Actually french idc, as long as one of them win.

Ok, so who do you want to get gold at the Olympics, lol?

Uranium
Nov 11th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Ok, so who do you want to get gold at the Olympics, lol?

VENUS, duh, Serena being silver after a 3-hour match :lol: and after winning doubles gold with VEE.:D :worship: :devil:

doni1212
Nov 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM
VENUS, duh, Serena being silver after a 3-hour match :lol: and after winning doubles gold with VEE.:D :worship: :devil:

:lol: Ok, well as I said before, I would like Serena to defend AO, win French, Wimbledon, and U.S. Open and Olympic gold.
If that doesn't happen, I want Vee to be next in line to take it, lol.

Uranium
Nov 11th, 2007, 07:59 PM
WAIT, i want serena to win Olympics since she hasn't, totally forgot, and since she wins that i want Venus winning french.

serenus_2k8
Nov 11th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Lol just in case Serena doesnt get them all :P

I think after watching Sharapova take a set off Henin will motivate Serena to prove shes better than them both. I hope Henins momentum slows next year!!

Btw did you hear how the commentators claimed Henin and Sharapova were the two best players from the year? WTF??!! Sharapova made it to the final of AO and then played shit...

Uranium
Nov 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Lol just in case Serena doesnt get them all :P

I think after watching Sharapova take a set off Henin will motivate Serena to prove shes better than them both. I hope Henins momentum slows next year!!

Btw did you hear how the commentators claimed Henin and Sharapova were the two best players from the year? WTF??!! Sharapova made it to the final of AO and then played shit...

:tape: She didn't even win a slam, Venus won wimbledon and Serena, AO and Miami, Sharapova lost to top players easily, and lost to Radwanska and Azarenka:lol:

serenus_2k8
Nov 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Lol thats what I thought....I think they were just trying to make a shitty YEC sound good when we all know who should have been out there winning the Final :(

2008 here we come :D

Uranium
Nov 11th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Lol thats what I thought....I think they were just trying to make a shitty YEC sound good when we all know who should have been out there winning the Final :(

"008 here we come :D

SOO TRUE. It was boring until final, which involved 2 of my least favorites.
Venus and Serena should have played.

doni1212
Nov 11th, 2007, 08:40 PM
SOO TRUE. It was boring until final, which involved 2 of my least favorites.
Venus and Serena should have played.

And then one of your least faves wouldn't have played, :yeah:
That would've made my year by the way, :sad:

serenus_2k8
Nov 11th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Same :( Would have finished on an amazing high but Im glad now that its over that Venus and Serena havent finished on a shocking loss or anything negative and now can just rest up to kick ass in 08!

StarDuvallGrant
Nov 11th, 2007, 08:57 PM
This is Serena's tenth year as a tennis pro, no single tournament can be "make or break" for a player with such a long career.

I totally agree with this. Also, it's not about Sharapova and it's not about Henin, it's not about Venus. It is and always has been about Serena.

Maria gets credit for getting to the final and fighting through it. Considering how her year has been it's a credit she made it that far and represented herself well.

Uranium
Nov 11th, 2007, 10:17 PM
And then one of your least faves wouldn't have played, :yeah:
That would've made my year by the way, :sad:

:lol: Mine 2