PDA

View Full Version : I dislike America

Forever More
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I really do. Earlier I was talking to one of my friends online from The Netherlands and we were discussing each of our country's laws and restrictions. America is suppose to be "the land of the free", but I just don't see it. Everything is fucking censored on television and radio, legal drinking age is 21 (they are trying to move it up), cannabis can get you years in prison, uniforms are becoming mandatory at public schools throughout the nation, gays are treated like absolute shit here, just so much shit.

Actually the occurrence that triggered this was the US's edition of Amy Winehouse's Back to Black. They fucking removed "Addicted" because it was a motown-inspired song about cannabis. Are you kidding me? I have to order an import now because that was one of my favorites on the album. :(

Bullshit. :rolleyes:

ptkten
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Ok, then if you are of age and have the available means, move to another country :shrug:

There are some major problems in the U.S, but you will encounter problems anywhere you go. The prudish nature of the United States does annoy me but freedom of speech is censored everywhere, just for different reasons. For example, where else could Scientologists be able to spout their lunacy ;)
Seriously though, I highly doubt the U.S. government had anything to do with removing the song, Winehouse's people just probably thought the song would not play as well over here with all of the religious fanatics so they did not want to offend people.

Brett.
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:21 AM
- If the US change their drinking age legally at 18, then i guess it could be worse.
- Putting big number of years show the americans should realise that they shouldn't taking cannabis. It's too dangerous.

Martian Jeza
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:29 AM
About music : America has always banned EuroDance from their charts in the 90ies while EuroDance was very popular. Enough said.

Andy.
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I really like America and would love to live there one day

Martian Jeza
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Stay in Australia, an advice ;)

Ilikebigboobies
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM
:weirdo:

James
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM
- If the US change their drinking age legally at 18, then i guess it could be worse.
- Putting big number of years show the americans should realise that they shouldn't taking cannabis. It's too dangerous.

I had to read that second sentence a few times to completely grasp its meaning. Taking cannabis does not have to be dangerous, although there can be health implications. Same could be said about alcohol. If you show restraint in use it does not have to be dangerous.

About music : America has always banned EuroDance from their charts in the 90ies while EuroDance was very popular. Enough said.

Banned how?

Jakeev
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Look folks living in the States is not perfect. Hell, I can name at least 200 problems I have about living here. But when it you down to it, there is no other place I'd rather be except for maybe a secluded beach in Fiji.

Wigglytuff
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM
1- gays have it pretty good in my neck of the woods, nyc

2- get HBO nothing is censored on HBO

3- with all the things wrong in the world and in america, you take issue with the DRINKING age. i think you need to get your on straight.

mandy7
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:58 AM
yeah, look how many tourists it has killed in Holland! :eek:
oh wait, it hasn't!

Berlin_Calling
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM
um you can only get years in prison for cannabis if you are some drug lord. posession of a small amount wont get you anything more than probation. im not sure how old you are (reading your post, id say youre pretty young..), but if you are of age and dislike america, there is a simple solution. leave. if freedom to you means trivial things like no drinking age, legalizing drugs, and not having to wear a uniform, you really need to go back and come up with a better, more mature argument.

miffedmax
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Legalize pot. Tax it. And give me a health care plan.

Wigglytuff
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:14 PM
um you can only get years in prison for cannabis if you are some drug lord.

this is not true. you can get years for simple possesion if you cant afford a good lawyer and are unlucky to boot.

Wigglytuff
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM

thank you. i have been saying that for ten years though rarely in public as people dont like idea.

miffedmax
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:19 PM
this is not true. you can get years for simple possesion if you cant afford a good lawyer and are unlucky to boot.

Or aren't white and from the suburbs.

volta
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM

same :D

Wigglytuff
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Or aren't white and from the suburbs.

well i was NOT going to be the one to say because people here love saying i hate white folk... :lol: :lol:

Donny
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:38 PM
The US censoring music?

I'm listening to 50 Cent's album Get Rich Or Die Trying right now. There's a song called Heat which is about nothing but guns, and the ways which you can inflict harm with them (with a beat consisting of an organ and gunshots- yes gunshots- every few seconds). There's also a song called High All The Time, which about, yea, you guessed it.

I listen to rap almost exclusively, and I can think of at least a couple dozen songs dedicated to pot. I doubt anyone FORCED her to take that track off the US edition.

Mina Vagante
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:52 PM
nooooooooooooo America is the BEST:worship:

NyCPsU
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I really do. Earlier I was talking to one of my friends online from The Netherlands and we were discussing each of our country's laws and restrictions. America is suppose to be "the land of the free", but I just don't see it. Everything is fucking censored on television and radio, legal drinking age is 21 (they are trying to move it up), cannabis can get you years in prison, uniforms are becoming mandatory at public schools throughout the nation, gays are treated like absolute shit here, just so much shit.

Actually the occurrence that triggered this was the US's edition of Amy Winehouse's Back to Black. They fucking removed "Addicted" because it was a motown-inspired song about cannabis. Are you kidding me? I have to order an import now because that was one of my favorites on the album. :(

thats completely not true, some states have actually just started moving towards lowering it, one being pennsylvania, where I go to school, so im 110% positive this is the truth.

Expat
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:12 PM
please stay in australia
its much nicer and cleaner
if possible migrate to queensland its heaven

Donny
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:35 PM
thats completely not true, some states have actually just started moving towards lowering it, one being pennsylvania, where I go to school, so im 110% positive this is the truth.

There's a federal law mandating that no one under 21 be allowed to drink. If any state chooses not to follow this law, they lose federal highway funds, among other things. They're not going to lose that just so teens can get drunk.

samsung101
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Impressive vocabulary!
Well, by all means, please don't impede your freedom to
get drunk, smoke pot, and harass airport security, and
come to the USA.
We'll miss you I'm sure.

But, we'll get over it.

Censored?

Please, we can't get everyone to shut up on tv, on the radio, over the
internet, newspapers, geez,what isn't on the air at some time or another?

Not much.

Uh, we have about 1,000 channels.
Pick any one you want.
Radio, same thing, free and satellite.
Take your pick there too.

The few networks that are subject to the FCC are the 'oldies', i.e.,
NBC, CBS, etc. Really, do I want to see naked people and a flurry of
f-bombs at 8 a.m. on CBS? No, not really. I can turn on the HBO or
A&E for that. I choose not to.

That's called a lot of choice, not censorship.

Sanneriet
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:47 PM

Who are they? I could see your point if you are talking about the government, but that does not seem to be the case if you are allowed to import it. If it is simply some record distribution company trying to avoid controversy, well, that hardly seems like a reason to hate your country.

Infiniti2001
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Who are they? I could see your point if you are talking about the government, but that does not seem to be the case if you are allowed to import it. If it is simply some record distribution company trying to avoid controversy, well, that hardly seems like a reason to hate your country.

Bet this is some carefree teeny bopper with absolutely no responsibilities:lol:

LoveFifteen
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I don't dislike the USA, but as a citizen of this country, there are certainly things that I would like to improve. I hate it when Americans tell other Americans they can just move out of the country if they don't like the American status quo. Telling a gay person, "Well, why don't you move to some country where gays can get married?" would be like telling a colored person in the 1950's, "Well, why don't you move to a country where colored people can share water fountains with whites?"

It's extremely difficult to get established in another country and find comparable employment through the proper legal channels. It's not impossible, per se, but it's not realistic for a lot of people.

KBdoubleu
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:11 PM
You would have problems with any country you live in. If one of your biggest problems living in the US is an Amy Winehouse song being banned, you have it pretty good. There are so much worse things that can happen.

Expat
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I don't dislike the USA, but as a citizen of this country, there are certainly things that I would like to improve. I hate it when Americans tell other Americans they can just move out of the country if they don't like the American status quo. Telling a gay person, "Well, why don't you move to some country where gays can get married?" would be like telling a colored person in the 1950's, "Well, why don't you move to a country where colored people can share water fountains with whites?"

It's extremely difficult to get established in another country and find comparable employment through the proper legal channels. It's not impossible, per se, but it's not realistic for a lot of people.

this i fully agree with
but you have to draw the line somewhere
all rules cant be changed for a few
societies run by some rules even if they don't make sense most of the time

Donny
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Dubious analogy at best. Many Blacks, especially in the South, were coerced, of sometimes, into staying in the town where they were born, to remain as a source of cheap labor.

My grandfather, for example, refused ti listen to his white employee, and when he made clear he intended to move North, he was told by his employee that if he left, he'd better never come back. These kind of implied threats were made all the time.

Also, some Northern and Midwestern towns made a habit of keeping blacks out, sometimes by gunpoint, of areas in which they'd have been afforded more rights.

Ever heard of sundown towns?

This was another surprise for Dr. Loewen. Sundown towns are actually rare in the traditional South (this doesn't include Texas or Arkansas because those states were highly contested between Union and Confederate). In the belt from Louisiana through the Carolinas, whites saw no reason to drive away their cheap labor. So contrary to the popular notion of Northern enlightenment, Dr. Loewen says, most sundown towns are actually in the Midwest and North – and in "disputed" areas like Texas. According to Census data, the most segregated city in the country today is Milwaukee.

To illustrate the prevalence of such communities, Sundown Towns recounts how in the mid-20th century, published guidebooks, such as Travelguide: Vacation and Recreation Without Humiliation, helped black motorists pick their way past them. Some sundown towns even had sirens to blow a daily warning.

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/ent/columnists/jweeks/stories/DN-sundown_1107gl.State.Edition1.6670c7d.html

A eqivalent today would be hundreds towns in states where civil unions and gay marriage are legal threatening to kill gay people should they stay there too long- and then not even being punished for it.

Can you imagine a town in Mass. making a law staying gays can't stay there, then lynching a gay person when they broke the law, and then not even getting punished by the state of federal governments?

Aaron.
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:40 PM
:weirdo: Then move you dumbass.

have fun in South America :wavey:

Donny
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:48 PM
http://xore.ca/missingthepoint.png

He was simply paralleling the simplified approach many people take when it comes to dealing with issues of inequality in American society. I don't see how that analogy is dubious. His point was actually quite clear.

You're missing the point. Blacks in the 50's were told they were subhuman, that they weren't allowed the same rights as whites, and then forcibly kept from places where they could have obtained a semblance of equality. How does that fit in the framework of his analogy? You can't simultaneously tell someone to leave and go someplace better if they don't like it and then say that they can't leave or go some place better.

MisterQ
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I hate it when Americans tell other Americans they can just move out of the country if they don't like the American status quo.

I agree with this -- it's essentially a way to avoid discussing the issue at hand. On a random note, does anyone remember when Connie Chung asked Navratilova why she didn't just move back to the Czech Republic if she disliked the U.S. so much? :lol: I couldn't believe that.

Apoleb
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:57 PM
You're missing the point. Blacks in the 50's were told they were subhuman, that they weren't allowed the same rights as whites, and then forcibly kept from places where they could have obtained a semblance of equality. How does that fit in the framework of his analogy? You can't simultaneously tell someone to leave and go someplace better if they don't like it and then say that they can't leave or go some place better.

:tape:

It looks like you're trying really hard to draw another black rights/gay rights dichotomy out of nowhere.

He didn't say that people commonly said to Blacks in the 50s to go somewhere where they can have their rights. He said saying to gays something like that would be similar to saying it to black people in the 50s.

Someone is very desperate to see something wrong with that.

Donny
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
You're looking too deeply into his statement and completely taking it out of context. You don't have to educate me on the struggles of black folks. I'm well informed on black history and culture. I'm simply pointing out that the point of his post was not to compare how blacks were treated in the 50s to how homosexuals are treated in modern times. He was pointing out how people in this society tend to deal with important social issues. He could have used a million different analogies to make his point but there is nothing wrong with the one he chose. You're grasping for something that simply isn't there and going on a completely irrelevant rant.

Requesting someone to do something unrealistic and difficult isn't the same as requesting someone to do something which is literally prohibited by law in some cases, and carries penalty of death in others.

The first request is unreasonable and harsh- the second request is bordering on insanity.

LoveFifteen
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Sorry, donnydarko, if I offended you. I didn't mean to marginalize the black struggle, which has been vastly more horrendous than the [white] gay struggle.

I was just trying to say that some people have told black people that they should just go back to Africa if they aren't happy here in America in the same way that gays have been told that they should leave. In general, people benefitting from the establishment don't like the boat to be rocked, and they often dismiss those of us who are not benefitting from the establishment with the line: "If you don't like it, move!"

Donny
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Sorry, donnydarko, if I offended you. I didn't mean to marginalize the black struggle, which has been vastly more horrendous than the [white] gay struggle.

I was just trying to say that some people have told black people that they should just go back to Africa if they aren't happy here in America in the same way that gays have been told that they should leave. In general, people benefitting from the establishment don't like the boat to be rocked, and they often dismiss those of us who are not benefitting from the establishment with the line: "If you don't like it, move!"

No need to apologize. I wasn't offended, really. I get your point. Telling gays to leave the country rather than have intelligent debates about the issues of gay rights is immature, at best. I was just looking for a reason to argue, really.

It is funny though, that the people who use "if you don't like it, leave" argument concerning gays will be the first ones to piss and moan when gay marriage finally is legalized.

faboozadoo15
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:42 PM
oh wait, it hasn't!

The drug itself hasn't killed anyone with an OD, but plenty of drug related deaths have occured.

LoveFifteen
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM
When gay marriage is legalized, I will tell the moaning Evangelicals that if they don't like it, they can leave. :tape:

faboozadoo15
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:45 PM
um you can only get years in prison for cannabis if you are some drug lord. posession of a small amount wont get you anything more than probation. im not sure how old you are (reading your post, id say youre pretty young..), but if you are of age and dislike america, there is a simple solution. leave. if freedom to you means trivial things like no drinking age, legalizing drugs, and not having to wear a uniform, you really need to go back and come up with a better, more mature argument.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

If your biggest complaints are the illegality of pot and having a 3yr higher drinking age, and fucking song not avalable on some CD then you really should try to become more mature.

America is far from perfect, and I personally don't find fault in smoking some pot and experimenting with alcohol before 21, but let's try to fix the important things.

Pureracket
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth.

If your biggest complaints are the illegality of pot and having a 3yr higher drinking age, and fucking song not avalable on some CD then you really should try to become more mature.

America is far from perfect, and I personally don't find fault in smoking some pot and experimenting with alcohol before 21, but let's try to fix the important things.
Funny how patriots seem to hate the top two American womens tennis players. Indeed.:lol:

Bacardi
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:58 PM
The US has sucked ass for a while, I'm working on moving. Besides, at least the Euro is worth more than the American Dollar. Besides this country is going to always be ran by a complete and total moron.... See George W Bush :rolleyes:

selking
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Ok if you're going to talk about how you hate america bring up somehting better then the right to drink at a certain age. How about how bad our heatlh care system is here? Or maybe how bad the education system is? These would be much better reasons to hate this country and are some of the reason why I hate it here.

mirzalover
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:35 PM

Preach on it

NyCPsU
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:08 PM
There's a federal law mandating that no one under 21 be allowed to drink. If any state chooses not to follow this law, they lose federal highway funds, among other things. They're not going to lose that just so teens can get drunk.

yes but if more and more states start pushing for it than new laws can be created. pennsylvania is one that is lobbying for it, they have started conducting surveys and researching into the topic and plan to become pretty vocal with this relatively soon.

it was in the news in august here that they were starting it.
and was just in the news a few weeks ago that they are finding research that helps prove that lowering the age to 18 is better for the economy or something like that.

Haute
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:05 AM

The thing that irritates me the most is that there is no consistency with American laws. In one of my classes today we had a discussion about two recent cases here in Michigan. In one, a man attacked his girlfriend with a claw hammer, ripping her ear off entirely with it and nearly killing her, yet he can only serve a maximum 10 year sentence because his defense team was able to plea bargain down from pre-meditated murder. Compare this with another case where a man is going to serve a 30 year sentence for possession of cocaine. Now rationally, who should be serving the longer prison sentence?

drake3781
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:36 AM

What is ironic about your complaints is that it is the American quality of life itself that gives you the ability to carry on about such things.

Anybody whose major problem is having to buy an import CD has it pretty damn good. :weirdo:

Edward.
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:55 AM

Same here, Andrew. Same here.

The sooner I get out of this dump the better.

star
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Bet this is some carefree teeny bopper with absolutely no responsibilities:lol:

Having no responsibilities actually sucks. Though I'm probably the only person who thinks this way. :o

Honestly, there are problems with every country including America, and who's to say someone can't be unhappy with certain ones just because they don't have horrible lives or anything?

antonella
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:15 AM
For all the America haters and those who entertain fanciful notions of living in glorious Europe or whatever.. be honest, you've never been out of the country for any significant period of time, have you?? You really don't know anything how the other half lives..isn't this the truth?? Here's a suggestion.. take some long travels overseas.. go to Asia, Lat. American, vaunted Western Europe then come back and see how much you still want to leave, believe me.. I've been there/done that and understand why some Americans kiss the ground upon returning.. you spoiled little shits have it damned good and easy here even with a retard as a president and a trash currency, so do some living before you spoil a good thing.

Donny
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:25 AM
For all the America haters and those who entertain fanciful notions of living in glorious Europe or whatever.. be honest, you've never been out of the country for any significant period of time, have you?? You really don't know anything how the other half lives..isn't this the truth?? Here's a suggestion.. take some long travels overseas.. go to Asia, Lat. American, vaunted Western Europe then come back and see how much you still want to leave, believe me.. I've been there/done that and understand why some Americans kiss the ground upon returning.. you spoiled little shits have it damned good and easy here even with a retard as a president and a trash currency, so do some living before you spoil a good thing.

Two men were just shot a block away from where I live about a week ago. I actually saw one of them lying on the ground bleeding to death. There are crackheads who sleep on my corner and sometime stumble into my yard and throw trash around looking for bottles to collect... Kids in my neighborhood have to go through metal detectors and full body searches to go to their high school... Most of the people in my neighborhood are on welfare or some form of assistance, I get harassed by cops almost every other week as I'm leaving or entering a train station... oh, and about a quarter of the adult males I personally know have been to prison at some point in the last ten years.

And I actually live in a GOOD American city. Spoiled my ass. I suggest you read about the America that doesn't get put in tourist guides.

jordan1989
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Two men were just shot a block away from where I live about a week ago. I actually saw one of them lying on the ground bleeding to death. There are crackheads who sleep on my corner and sometime stumble into my yard and throw trash around looking for bottles to collect... Kids in my neighborhood have to go through metal detectors and full body searches to go to their high school... Most of the people in my neighborhood are on welfare or some form of assistance, I get harassed by cops almost every other week as I'm leaving or entering a train station... oh, and about a quarter of the adult males I personally know have been to prison at some point in the last ten years.

And I actually live in a GOOD American city. Spoiled my ass. I suggest you read about the America that doesn't get put in tourist guides.

That is soo right :worship:

I'm so thankfful I live in Australia and not the US. Such a shame that both of our possible Prime Ministers want to continue the Australian-American alliance :fiery:

mandy7
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:51 AM
The drug itself hasn't killed anyone with an OD, but plenty of drug related deaths have occured.

i was talking about pot related deaths

legalize pot world wide damnit!
and mushrooms too :rocker2:

~Eclipsed~
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:54 AM

NYC?

mandy7
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Before i start:
I don't HATE America, and i don't think of Europe as GLORIOUS.
---
I must say, you're full of shit.
I'm from western Europe myself, The Netherlands.
And i've been to Eastern Europe and Australia.
(also to other western euro countries of course)
Of course i could live in Australia, i mean, it's gorgeous, people are friendly, and they get 300 more sunny days a year than we get in Holland.
But when i got home, i was happy to be back,
we have it good in Holland, sure out prime minister is a harry potter look a like who sucks up to bush, but besides that, i try not to complain (about other things than traffic and weather of course).
oh crap, i'm doing this:
http://xore.ca/missingthepoint.png

so lemme wrap this up:
sure, america might be an ok place, but it's not the only one
euro's are happy to return home as well after they've been away for a while

and you're full of shit.

Donny
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:40 AM
NYC?

Yup. Bedford Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. Near the Albany Housing Projects.

Donny
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Another "spoiled" American teenager from my neighborhood:

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=75369

Brooklyn Teen Found Shot To Death In Bed-Stuy

Police are investigating the shooting death of a Brooklyn teen Tuesday night.

Officers responded to a 911 call shortly before 7 p.m. Tuesday at a building on Tompkins Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant. They found 14-year-old Sunny Carter – seen above in an old photo – with multiple gunshot wounds.

Carter was rushed to the hospital where he died. His uncle says it's a senseless tragedy.

"Around here, we lose kids younger than him. I don't know of it's the crowd. I don't. I don't,” said Carter’s uncle Jamel Albritton. “I don't know what to do. I don't. His mom is in here moaning. She don't want to talk."

Police so far have no motive and have not made any arrests.

CooCooCachoo
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Impressive vocabulary!
Well, by all means, please don't impede your freedom to
get drunk, smoke pot, and harass airport security, and
come to the USA.
We'll miss you I'm sure.

But, we'll get over it.

Censored?

Please, we can't get everyone to shut up on tv, on the radio, over the
internet, newspapers, geez,what isn't on the air at some time or another?

Not much.

Uh, we have about 1,000 channels.
Pick any one you want.
Radio, same thing, free and satellite.
Take your pick there too.

The few networks that are subject to the FCC are the 'oldies', i.e.,
NBC, CBS, etc. Really, do I want to see naked people and a flurry of
f-bombs at 8 a.m. on CBS? No, not really. I can turn on the HBO or
A&E for that. I choose not to.

That's called a lot of choice, not censorship.

:spit: :rolls:

Pasta-Na
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:46 PM
y not? most of the porn movies are made in America. :D

LoveFifteen
Nov 8th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Same here, Andrew. Same here.

The sooner I get out of this dump the better.

Oh, yes! :hearts:

Move to Washington, DC! :lick:

LoveFifteen
Nov 8th, 2007, 08:46 PM

I love the United States, but I've also lived in Germany and Argentina. I've traveled all over Western Europe, too. I enjoy the USA, but I'd like to move to another country eventually. There are some areas where life in the USA is superior, and some areas where life in Western Europe is superior. I really just depends on what you value most and what's important to you. You can't have it all in one country, and you're never going to find a place that's perfect.

That being said, there are many things about the USA that really bother me, and my eyes weren't even opened to these annoyances until I left the country for an extended period and experienced a new way of life.

Brett.
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Mandy, i'm not talking about deaths. Ditto.

supergrunt
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I love the United States, but I've also lived in Germany and Argentina. I've traveled all over Western Europe, too. I enjoy the USA, but I'd like to move to another country eventually. There are some areas where life in the USA is superior, and some areas where life in Western Europe is superior. I really just depends on what you value most and what's important to you. You can't have it all in one country, and you're never going to find a place that's perfect.

That being said, there are many things about the USA that really bother me, and my eyes weren't even opened to these annoyances until I left the country for an extended period and experienced a new way of life.

What country do you believe to be the best to live in? Just out of curiosity.

treufreund
Nov 9th, 2007, 02:26 AM

Way to call a spade a spade. This typically jingoistic response is intended to shut those up who dissent. Ironically that is a mentality diametrically opposed to democracy and freedom of expression. :sad:

treufreund
Nov 9th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Sorry but I vastly preferred my time in Germany over the USA. And, yes, I will leave "it". I will move back to Germany but I will still always love my home country, USA. For that matter, I love France, Germany, Holland and many countries. It is possible to love more than one place!

mandy7
Nov 9th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Mandy, i'm not talking about deaths. Ditto.
pot is harmless brett
alcohol does much more damage, yet you don't seem to have a problem with that
that's rather double don't ya think?

Tamus
Nov 9th, 2007, 06:39 AM
America has far bigger issues, such as gun control, the death penalty, and abortion.

Qrystyna
Nov 10th, 2007, 05:58 AM
When gay marriage is legalized, I will tell the moaning Evangelicals that if they don't like it, they can leave. :tape:

You could tell them to go to Iran, a country they claim to hate, but ironically has the type of government they would LOVE for the USA to have. ;)

DutchieGirl
Nov 10th, 2007, 06:59 AM

I think everyone else understood the point you were trying to make clearly enough. ;)

DutchieGirl
Nov 10th, 2007, 07:04 AM
The thing that irritates me the most is that there is no consistency with American laws. In one of my classes today we had a discussion about two recent cases here in Michigan. In one, a man attacked his girlfriend with a claw hammer, ripping her ear off entirely with it and nearly killing her, yet he can only serve a maximum 10 year sentence because his defense team was able to plea bargain down from pre-meditated murder. Compare this with another case where a man is going to serve a 30 year sentence for possession of cocaine. Now rationally, who should be serving the longer prison sentence?

I am 100% sure that sort of sentencing is not exclusive to the US - we have it in Australia too! Yesterday, a guy who was driving home drunk (well over the limit) and ran a red light, hitting another car, and killing the female driver got 4 years, with a minimum of 2. That's an absolute joke. While you can get people who have drugs (I don't mean dealers) going away for the same amount of time!

Andy.
Nov 10th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I would love to live in LA or NY

mandy7
Nov 15th, 2007, 05:36 AM
America has far bigger issues, such as gun control, the death penalty, and abortion.
how is abortion a issue?

abercrombieguy23
Nov 15th, 2007, 05:53 AM
pot is harmless brett
alcohol does much more damage, yet you don't seem to have a problem with that
that's rather double don't ya think?

While I don't disagree that alcohol is worse than Pot...

Pot is not "harmless"

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 15th, 2007, 03:13 PM

:haha:

---

well you [the primary poster] also have to realize that the united states is divided into many different places, and people, lifestyle, as well as law is different various states... i have to agree though, that the u.s. doesn't exactly seem like "the land of the free." Citizens of the U.S. used to be admired by citizens of other nations because of our wide range of freedoms, but this is no longer true. There seem to be way too many religious zealots as well as conservative individuals -- this makes sense since America has so much living space lebensraum causing a lot of potential of isolation of groups of people, and more of these people develop when individuals are not exposed to other kinds of people for long periods of time.

However, we are one of the most economically free nations in the world... if that makes you feel like you have any incentive.

iPatty
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:54 PM
how is abortion a issue?

It's an issue in the fact that it is widely debated across the nation. However, you're right, it is most certainly not one of our country's most pressing matters.

---------------------------

But anyway. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread, even if it had a rough start.

I agree with everyone who has said that the thread starter needs to get his priorities straight. Complaining about the legal drinking age is juvenile compared to the number of other problems we have (health care, our rapidly declining economy, number of people on welfare/number of people not receiving welfare).

Yes, we have a lot of problems. But, we still have it much better than a lot of other countries. I think the ego-boosting image of America as the world's biggest superpower and best nation has become a distant thought in modern times. Our country is far behind the rest of the world in dealing with ignorance.

If I see one more person use the,"If you don't like it, leave," routine, I'm going to hurt somebody.

That is all.

samsung101
Nov 15th, 2007, 09:09 PM
America is a great country, faults and all. Take a drive through this place. That's the best.
Rich, poor, wide open, big cities, farms, factories, loud, quiet, love it.

Our rapidly declining economy? As opposed to the unemployment rates in Europe, South America, etc.,
I'll take ours , thank you very much.

We have millions trying to enter the USA every year. Still more than any other nation in the world.
People who know this nation still offers hope and chances and opportunity and freedom. Warts and all,
it's a place where you can be what you want to be. Do what you want to do.

Yes, what's up with the drinking age and sex as the only things that make a nation great. Go to The Netherlands
if that's all on your mind. That isn't a nation. That's social policies the govt. puts through.

Really, just wait a few years, and when the Muslim majority takes over Europe by sheer population numbers,
let me know how you like it then.

Really, Americans, get up, go to school, go to work, go on vacation, eat at McDonalds, go to church, watch
Dancing with the Stars, buy clothes and shoes at Walmart and Nordstroms, and we like to eat tasty hot wings
on Sundays while watching that cute Tom Brady play football. We don't angst over abortion and the price of
gas 24/7....not at church or a protest or a picnic. We fight and yell and scream at each other, and then
we go ho hum, gotta wait another 2 years or 4 years till that next election.

America is George W. Bush and Papa Bush and Bill Clinton and Hillary and Condi Rice and Colin Powell, right
there with Mikey Moore and Meryl Streep and George Lopez and Randy Moss and that cool Dr. Oz from Oprah....
it's a melting pot to the 'nth' degree.

Our interest rates and inflation rate - yikes, compare that to South America, Asia, Europe. Ours is
small. Chances to own a car or home - fantastic in the USA, you just have to work your butt off to do it.

I have several friends from Europe who are now American citizens. They came here to have a shot to move up.
To own a home or condo. Something they didn't see in their cards at home, or just to get a good job, where
chances were very limited at home. They like our openess, and still can't get over the whining home grown
Americans do much of the time.

Our dollar - hey,we're fighting any option to make a more formal union with Canada, and Mexico, which would
drag us down - while Canada would build us up. We can't ignore China manipulating the manufacturing markets,
and knowingly twisting the stock market to bolster itself. Nor can we deal with the Euro at this point.

When the USA removes the military from Europe, and Europe must spend the billions we do on defending itself...
let's see what happens. As it is, we still provide the bulk of the technology, and ready to go military
on our dime for Europe. 70 years after the war ended....that's what I call a quagmire.

Dealing with ignorance?
Yeah, that's why they're slicing off heads in the Middle East, Irans president promotes hanging gay people and
he's hailed as a statesman at Columbia, China is promoting child labor and Darfurs sad policies, and it's
the USA that is ignorant and wrong? As Venezuela turns more into a larger, more closeted, more wealthy Cuba
under Dictator Hugo Chaves - the darling of Hollywood. Yeah, the USA is the ignorant nation alright.

abercrombieguy23
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Our dollar - hey,we're fighting any option to make a more formal union with Canada, and Mexico, which would
drag us down - while Canada would build us up. We can't ignore China manipulating the manufacturing markets,
and knowingly twisting the stock market to bolster itself. Nor can we deal with the Euro at this point.

1 Canadian dollar = 1.043515 U.S. dollars

:drool:

Pheobo
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:13 PM
*Donatella Versace voice* GETTTT OUTTTTTTTTT!!!

Huyyy
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:48 PM
America dislikes you too :D

mandy7
Nov 16th, 2007, 05:36 AM
1 Canadian dollar = 1.043515 U.S. dollars

:drool:

€1,- is $ 1,46..something
double-:drool:
:p

Jakeev
Nov 16th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Ok if you're going to talk about how you hate america bring up somehting better then the right to drink at a certain age. How about how bad our heatlh care system is here? Or maybe how bad the education system is? These would be much better reasons to hate this country and are some of the reason why I hate it here.

But when you think about it, the drinking age law is pretty damn stupid. Especially when you consider it's ok to send 18 year olds out in the world to kill for our country and to vote for politicians that have screwed up health care and education but be damned if you are gonna drink or gamble til your 21.......

mandy7
Nov 16th, 2007, 08:22 AM
But when you think about it, the drinking age law is pretty damn stupid. Especially when you consider it's ok to send 18 year olds out in the world to kill for our country and to vote for politicians that have screwed up health care and education but be damned if you are gonna drink or gamble til your 21.......
I agree, it's pretty silly.
What else is silly is that Americans get to drive a car at 16.
When you're 16, you're a kid, and kids should not drive.
You need to be responsible when you drive, and most kids just aren't.

(i don't HATE america for it though, but it is pretty damn STUPID)

Wigglytuff
Nov 16th, 2007, 08:04 PM

:worship: :worship: :worship:

the problem is america haters act like 4 years and dont look at the issues. and then you have the blind retards who act like 2 years and swear america is perfect in every way.

the result is that real issues like the one you mentioned never get addressed. for example look at this thread.

Denise4925
Nov 16th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Can't tax it because it grows wild. :shrug:

esquímaux
Nov 16th, 2007, 09:54 PM

Bullshit. :rolleyes:Do like me hun and become an expat :kiss: The grass IS greener on the other side :D

esquímaux
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:01 PM
please stay in australia
its much nicer and cleaner
if possible migrate to queensland its heavenOh gosh! Australia is :hearts: I went to Brisbane this summer and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. No need to search for a needle in a haystack, in Surfer's Paradise, h@wt guys are the whole farm :eek::drool:

mandy7
Nov 19th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Oh gosh! Australia is :hearts: I went to Brisbane this summer and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. No need to search for a needle in a haystack, in Surfer's Paradise, h@wt guys are the whole farm :eek::drool:

Oh yeah, Australia is :hearts:
Brissy and SP is heaven
but so is the rest of Queensland
If i would leave Holland, i'd go live there

Nicolas
Nov 19th, 2007, 07:34 AM
oh wait, it hasn't!

:haha: http://planetsmilies.net/smoking-smiley-5437.gif