PDA

View Full Version : YEC Red Group: Ana Ivanovic defeats Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-1, 4-6, 7-5

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Great match from Ana :woohoo: Thanks for the VCash!

Sveta :hug:

DavenportForever
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Go Ana! Nice Job :)

Sefo
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Great match! But I felt like Kuzzy lost her talent at the end, considering the great comeback from 1-6 0-3.

DownTheLine21
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:38 PM
This was definitely a yo-yo string of a match. Both players showed true fight, but, once again, Ivanovic's will to win proved to be the deciding factor. This is the same fight we saw against Jankovic in LA.

DragonFlame
She did it!:eek: HELL YEAH!:bounce: i thought she would crumble when kuznetsova got breakpoint at 5-5 in the third. What a meltdown from svetlana in that last game:tape: :lol:

ANA :yeah: What a great first day of tennis!:)

Wiggly
The 5-5 game was brutal.

shap_half
Good job Ana.

Speaking of VCash. I never bet, but for some reason I gain moneys. How does that happen?

starin
were the courts always this slow in Madrid?
I thought this was supposed to be fast indoors.
Ohh well.. Sveta played way too defensively. She's like miles behind the baseline. And Ivanovic is running hot and cold. Fantastic winner....then horrible error. lol she's just like Venus that's why I :hearts: her.

I hope both can lift their games from this match. Shaky start by both. I want one of these two to win cuz I think Serena might bomb out of the YEC.

The Daviator
Pretty shaky from Ana, but she got the job done :D That hold at 5-5 was :worship:

And she looked FIERCE!

trainspotter
WOW Ana ! Well done, that was quite good tennis to watch, thanks for both :worship:

goldenlox
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:39 PM
That 55 game was crucial. Sveta choked when she didn't one of those bp's.
Good thing it's round robin, Sveta can root for Dani tomorrow.

The Daviator
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:39 PM
The score is 6-1 4-6 7-5 :o

Frode
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:40 PM
phew.......my heart can't take many more like that..........

Well done Ana

And that dress.............................:drool: :lick: :hearts: :inlove:

doni1212
Good job, Ana!!!

tennis_lover89
what a close match!

dybbuk
Ugh, Ana, you about killed me. :help:

It's not often someone chokes twice in one match and still winds up winning. :spit:

A wins a win, birthday girl. :hug: That first set was without a doubt some of the, if not the best, tennis I have ever seen from her. :worship:

Dexter
Man, that was an awesome & entertaining battle. Of course I'm mighty pleased that Ana won, but first of all comiseration Swieta... :( Shame there had to be only one winner because at times both were playing awesomely. I do hope they both come out of this group.

Ana, God... more of the stuff from first 10 games of the match por favor. Well done on your first win @ YEC! :yeah: :hearts:

jonnyroyale_13
The 5-5 game was brutal.

It was torture on the SB

Derek.
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Ana. :yeah:

Well done.

Sveta lacks mental strength against other top players. :unsure:

loppy
Congratulations Ana!

Sveta :sad:

daniela86
Congrats Anci :yeah: :bounce: :rocker2: She could have won easier but the job is done and that's the most important :bounce: :bounce: I'm very satisfied with her level :yeah: (the first set was too :eek: :drool: )Keep it up Ana :p :D and good luck against Dani tomorrow :bounce: :bounce:
With Maria and Ana winning their first matchs,the YEC couldn't have begun better for me :bounce: :D

Wayn77
Well done ladies - entertaining match. :)

tobi
Congrats Ana.

Sveta collapsing when she needs to stay tough *again* :yawn:

Btw it looks like Ana trying to act like Sharapova more and more :lol: :lol:

Iceland
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Amazing match :hearts:, one of the best I have seen this year. Both girls played so well, I will never doubt of Svetlana now, it's the first time I see her expressing her talent like that ... but Ana wanted this match more. It was such a beauty to watch, thank you! :hug:

I really hope they will qualify out of this red group. From what I have seen today, they deserve it more!

Ajde Ana! :)

doris_hdz
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Go Ana!!!

Sveta!!:hug:

Lucyxx
Ana really showed her improved comfort and even had Sveta at mercy on serve late in the match.

friendsita
Best match of the day for sure!

StZox
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:44 PM
A good-quality match and a very exciting one.
Both the cake and Ana look yummy:)

Great win, ANAAAAAAAAA

Nice fight, Kuzy

Fidello
Congrats Ana :banana:
What a nice gesture from the organizers at the end, with the cake and candles

mboyle
Looks like there's a good chance Sveta vs. Maria is going to be must-win tennis. That bodes well for Maria.

Slutiana
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:45 PM
that was a joke. 2 BBBs have won their matches today. Amazingly Ana's Ajde's annoy me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than marias. Its like Ana copies maria with the way she pumps her fist. Im so pissed off because all kuzzy was doing was giving Ana groundstrokes into her hitting zone, no angles whatsoever. When you're playing a BBB you have to hiit angles and move them about. Dani nor Sveta did that and they lost. Im so pissed off. Serena better win.

requiem
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I thought I'd wish her happy birthday at the end of the match, but it took to long.

Nevertheless, great fight at the very end, and congrats Anči.

Hopefully you'll win two matches in one day

cs0803
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Great match! Congratulations Ana!
First set..... Wow! Great comeback from Sveta as well.
Great way to finish the first day.

LindsayRulz
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Strange match, you should have won in two sets Ana but well done.

buckyohare
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Great match from both. Ana was ridiculous in 1st set. But Kuzzy kept believing, she could've easily thrown the match, like she has done so many times in the past.
In the end, Sveta missed 2 makeble shots at bp at 5-5 and that cost her. Final game was a disgrace on Kuzzy's part. All errors.

Olórin
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Great match from both. Ana was ridiculous in 1st set. But Kuzzy kept believing, she could easily throw the match, like she has done so many times in the past.
In the end, Sveta missed 2 makeble shots at bp at 5-5 and that cost her. Final game was a disgrace on Kuzzy's part. All errors.

You have the best name ever! :p

buckyohare
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:51 PM
You have the best name ever! :p

Thanks, you remember that show ? :)

©@®eLess
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:51 PM
She just has to keep the form from first 10 games, she has to be brutal and kick ass. Hope she relaxes enough for tomorrow and qualifes, so she could be totaly relaxed vs. Sharapova

Sveta- great fight

F-R-E-A-K
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Well done, Ana :hearts:

Fidello
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:54 PM
that was a joke. 2 BBBs have won their matches today. Amazingly Ana's Ajde's annoy me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than marias. Its like Ana copies maria with the way she pumps her fist. Im so pissed off because all kuzzy was doing was giving Ana groundstrokes into her hitting zone, no angles whatsoever. When you're playing a BBB you have to hiit angles and move them about. Dani nor Sveta did that and they lost. Im so pissed off. Serena better win.
Ajdeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

theDreamer
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:57 PM

I still don't get this concept of BBB. Surely kuzzy was the "brainless" one if she was just feeding Ana balls. And why do you want Serena to win - isn't she a BBB?

scoobsuk
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:58 PM
The main thing that surprised me in this match, which was great entertainment, was how long it took for the Kuznetsova Flail to show up.

Experienced Sveta watchers will know what this is, although they may call it something different.

It's that moment in a tight match where Sveta, as she does so often, blows it by abandoning controlled agression and just starts swinging wildly at the ball.

You can always tell when it's arrived - she'll be serving and as she does so, she'll let out an unholy shriek - as loud as her other shrieks when she's in a rally, but there'll be this note of desperation and uncertainty in it. When that moment comes, typically she will be broken at love or at 15 and make a lot of errors doing so.

The Kuznetsova Flail has cost her so many tight matches - this one, and the Berlin final is another one that springs to mind against the same opponent.

I was surprised it took so long to show up - I almost expected it in the second set, and I expected it for sure when Ana held for 5-4 in the third, but sure enough it showed up when she served at 5-6 and that was that.

She needs to get a grip on that.

Ana needs to not let slip a 6-1 3-0 40-15* position either. She should have won in 2 but she went off the boil from her very high first set standard and allowed Kuznetsova back into the match in the first place.

Still the best match of the night though.

RJWCapriati
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Very good Ana!

Rod the Bama
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Good win for Ana on her birthday. :clap2: She looked very impressive in the first set, but really struggled for much of the rest of the match, especially Svetlana was making her move around a lot. Fortunately she kept her poise and pulled out the win. :) Hopefully Ana won`t be too tired for her match against Dani tomorrow.

simba
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:07 PM
way the go Ana

vettipooh
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Congrats Ana. Sveta :sad: Very tense game at 5 all in 3rd set. Sveta should have gone up 6/5 and served for the match. Horrible game serving for a tie break from Sveta.... just horrible. :o

felipe2004
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Great match, congrats Ana! :D

aussie_fan
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Well Done Ana :)

ninanina19
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Yes!!!

Ellery
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Sveta :bigcry:

VasVas
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Ana :woohoo:

goldenlox
Nov 7th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Sveta :bigcry:It's round robin. If Sveta doesn't make the semis, this won't be the reason.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Nov 7th, 2007, 12:40 AM
The 5-5 game was brutal.

It was torture on the SB

Imagine how it is in the stadium itself. I yelled and the next time I was quite. Almost point after point. It was a really hard game to watch. In the end Ana is always winning matches when it's getting this close, but still I was nervous as hell!

Anyway, congrats girl!! You certainly gave me something for the money.

Ana needs to not let slip a 6-1 3-0 40-15* position either. She should have won in 2 but she went off the boil from her very high first set standard and allowed Kuznetsova back into the match in the first place.

She didn't let the match slip away. She did it earlier this year.
Against:

Dulko (Charleston)
Dechy (Antwerp)
Petrova (Wimbledon)

And maybe you can also count the matches against Sveta and Medina Garrigues at Roland Garros.

Summer_Snow
Nov 7th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Sveta :sad: I thought she would comeback to win after the 2nd set :fiery:

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Ajde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Sveta :sobbing:

delicatecutter
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I'm so happy Ana won on her birthday!! She's a fighter through and through. :worship: I can't really bag on Sveta, because she's such a nice girl, but she seriously needs to get it together! That last game was a joke. And she had fought so hard to get back in the match, that to just give it away like that shows that she has truly lucked into her #2 ranking.

Can't wait for the good vs. evil match-up between Ana and Masha. I salivate for it.

historystupid
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:23 AM
I still don't get this concept of BBB. Surely kuzzy was the "brainless" one if she was just feeding Ana balls. And why do you want Serena to win - isn't she a BBB?

I thought that meant "big ball basher"?

MisterQ
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:14 AM
There was some great tennis in this match! :yeah: Exciting to watch. True, there was some poor, nervous play too, but overall it was compelling.

Ben.
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:15 AM
:woohoo: Ana, hope you can beat Dani now :D

LucasArg
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Sveta:mad: :mad: :mad:

svetaisthebest
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Sveta :sad: I hope she wins her next match and somehow gets into the semis .

Ana :worship: She fought throughout the match and played some great tennis .

Princeza
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Wow for sure Ana knows how to kill us.

Hachiko
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Ajde Ana! :) :yeah: Take out Daniela and Maria now.

Renalicious
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Good job Ana!

*Jean*
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Kuzzy :sad: :sad: I would have liked you to win, now it's gonna be tough to qualify :o
What was this first set ? :rolleyes:
Ana :fuck:

nouf
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:57 AM
YEC 2007
IVANOVIC VS KUZNETSOVA
http://wtatour.fr/showthread.php?p=2057#post2057

Elwin.
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Ana :)

theDreamer
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I thought that meant "big ball basher"?

I thought it meant "brainless ball basher", because I've heard this phrase
used a lot on this forum?

Natalicious
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:20 AM
ana wanted to kill her fans in the 2nd and 3rd set :scared:

althought well done, please dont scare me as hell today

stefi62
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:51 AM
That was a close match, in the end, and really interesting. Some great rallies, great points... well done Ana!

Kuzy, I hope you can win the next one!

Jenny.C.Fan
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Fuck it, Sveta :sad:

svetaisthebest
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Fuck it, Sveta :sad:

that was my initial reaction :lol:

Shepster
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:38 AM
What a weird match. Yes, Ana played fantastically well in the first set and a half but I thought the Eurosport commentators were being a bit patronising calling it the best she'd ever played in her life, Sveta was playing terribly and that contributed greatly to the score. Now something like the match against Patty in Stuttgart where she blew her off the court 6-0, 6-2 and Patty was actually playing alright was a much better performance and even more frightening.

As so often happens in many matches just as Sveta started to play better and make a few shots Ana's level dropped and it made the match extremely competitive. In the end when it gets to something like 5-5 you always favour the more consistent player and I did feel Sveta would chuck in a few errors in that situation. Good win for Ana, but tighter than in should have been.

n.sad
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Ana lost some weight and she looked great :) that was great match. i just hope she will not be tired today against Dani .
Bravo ANA :worship:

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Ana :yeah:
Sveta :sad:

Misa&andylover
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Well done Ana :)

azmad_88
Nov 7th, 2007, 12:29 PM
ANa :woohoo: take the title :)

Andy.
Nov 7th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Can't wait for the good vs. evil match-up between Ana and Masha.

:rolleyes:

Jorn
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Well done Ana, great tennis untill 61, 30 :yeah: after that :eeek: But a win is a win! Nice win on her B-day! :)

Bероника
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:03 PM
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: Sveta,why the hell did you have to throw the match that way? :sad:

soul
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM
:wavey: :wavey: I think this match will help ANNA to improve mentally espcially.There is no doubt that Anna is a great talent;she has matured. a liitle weakness was that her mentality.

Im sure if she does not loose her focus and if she plays like she did in the first set nobody can beat her

WELL DONE ANNA:bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship:

Cilla
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I thought this match would never end...I was desperate to go to sleep :lol:

Topsy turvy match. Shame Sveta blew the last game though.

Aaron.
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:22 PM
LOL. I cant believe I missed this match

I stopped watching at 6-1 3-0 for Ana Who woulda thought :tape:

.:sk:.
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Ana :bounce:

Lulu.
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:43 PM
:shrug:

RenaSlam.
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Well done, Ana! Really coming into your own. :)

Mina Vagante
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:15 PM
were the courts always this slow in Madrid?
I thought this was supposed to be fast indoors.
Ohh well.. Sveta played way too defensively. She's like miles behind the baseline. And Ivanovic is running hot and cold. Fantastic winner....then horrible error. lol she's just like Venus that's why I :hearts: her.

I hope both can lift their games from this match. Shaky start by both. I want one of these two to win cuz I think Serena might bomb out of the YEC.

It's really slow, the court plays like indoor clay:o

Il Primo!
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Ana! You should have won in two :o For once, I feel bad for Sveta, only 2 matches won in the YEC in her whole career :help:

Slutiana
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:40 PM

I was just pissed off and posted quickly but it just pisses me off that someone so unathletic and everything, is here. Thats my opinion and im entitled to it. Also, im gutted for sveta who had a chance to prove shes rightfully no.2 and she messes it up. :o. I don't hate Ana, i've been rooting for her all year but i dno, the hype is just getting unbearable now.

theDreamer
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I was just pissed off and posted quickly but it just pisses me off that someone so unathletic and everything, is here. Thats my opinion and im entitled to it. Also, im gutted for sveta who had a chance to prove shes rightfully no.2 and she messes it up. :o. I don't hate Ana, i've been rooting for her all year but i dno, the hype is just getting unbearable now.

ok, the hype is annoying - but who (because of their so called athleticsm) deserves to be at the YEC
instead of Ana?

And the very fact you saw this as a chance for sveta to prove that might mean that maybe she
isn't rightfully no. 2? (of course, she is no. 2 because she's got the points, but you know what I mean)-I mean Henin/Federer don't have to prove that they're rightfully no. 1.

But fair enough, as you said, you are entitled to your own opinion.