PDA

View Full Version : Madrid Red Group: (6) Maria Sharapova def (8) Daniela Hantuchova 6-4 7-5

LDF
Nov 6th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Maria :woohoo: :D

Didn't expect that before the tournament began! She obviously didn't play her best, especially at the beginning, but she got better as the match progressed. I'm really pleased she bounced back from the disappointment of missing a number of match points at 5-3* and then failing to serve it out at *5-4. :yeah:

Daniela :hug: She was just a little too passive throughout, and I don't think she served particularly well.

Sefo
Nov 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Great to see the BIG Gun is back!!!
A bit of choke at 5-3 and 5-4 wasting 3 match points.
Masha runs fast.
Daniela returned so well.

Effy
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Yay nicely done, Maria :yeah:

take this, haters :kiss: no 0-3 for ya :awww:

TheBoiledEgg
Masha ;) :woohoo: :yeah: :D
good to see her winning again :banana:

Princeza
VaMoOOoOOoOoOooOoOoOoOoOoOoOos

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:03 PM
The Queen is back!!! :woohoo:

Dani... good effort :hug:

cypher_88
:woohoo: well done Maria

schorsch
Awesome, I'm so happy for her :)

Dani :hug:

tennis_lover89
yayyy!!! good you closed the last set after choking at 5-4 :p

A Magicman
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:04 PM
CMOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNN!

:lol:

Well done. Cool to have her back.

DownTheLine21
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:04 PM
The quality wasn't that great, but Hantuchova provided us with some great drama at the end. Daniela played too erratically, however, to win that second set. She followed up an amazing break with a pathetic game on her own serve. Despite a great year, her game is still roller-coaster. Good win for Sharapova, considering she hasn't played in a while.

Mic-190286
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Mental match from Dani. Just mental. Some great fighting, but crap serving and too lethargic & clumsy looking at times, but better than expected from Shazza who played well and was blasting Dani at times. She played better and deserved to win. I just hope Dani calms down in her next 2.
ps. i guess Maria officially owns Dani now, 6 in a row is pretty huge.

ce
:help:

~Carsten~
Maria played too good today and Daniela didn't play the same like in Linz, in my opinion, but she played good!

well two more matches to go ;)
good luck Daniela

*W*
Great win!good luck Yuri!

Russianboy
YAAAAAAAAAAAY :bounce:
i love u maria. keep winning babe

Poova
YES MARIA! :rocker2: She finally closed it out, I was practically tearing my hair out! :o Serve was great in parts but it sucked on the important points. Not a bad start though.

And no 0-3 for the haters, they must be so GUTTED. :awww:

hingisGOAT
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM
pathetic match. i cannot stand these slow ass ball bashers :help:

Il Primo!
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah!vammmmmmmmmmmoos

friendsita
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:07 PM
jajaja... Daniela is a shocker...

Great to see Masha winning...

Good luck at your next match pretty girl!

Vicmatibla
I didn't expect this :eek: :woohoo: :woohoo: :banana: :banana: :bounce:

itzhak
Exciting finish in the last games with all the MP...

Lulu.
Dani. :(

Iceland
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Entertaining match with lots of great points. :yeah: Daniela :hug:.

But I really didn't miss Sharapova's annoying behaviour with those fist pumping every second. It was too much to be correct IMO. Still it's good for the competition to have her back.

Veronique
Congrats Maria! It's going to be tough for Daniela to beat anybody in this group now if she couldn't handle a rusty Maria.

s_j
C'mon, Maria! :)

Effy
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM
H2H 6-1 now :lol: good, Maria!

Just Do It
Maria :yeah:

joćo.
Great! So happy to have her back on court.
Good luck for your next matches, Maria! C'MON!!! :)

n.sad
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Good job, Maria :)

Wayn77
Allez ..... I mean VAAAAMMOOOSSSS :lol: :lol:

Gutsy stuff from Big Bad Maria.

Michael!
Shit, these Russian woman won :fiery:
Daniela :sad:
But she had her chances, but she wasn“t focused enough at 5-5 in the 2nd set. :(
She fighted well, and that“s the positive thing about the match, I hope she
can beat Ana now. ;)
It was difficult for Dani to beat Maria, she doesn“t like her game...

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:11 PM
davaiiiiiiiiiiii
I'm so so soooooooo happpy
http://smiles.al-wed.com/smiles/8/118.gif

Petkorazzi
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Ive never seen such a motivated maria :hearts:

Lunams
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:13 PM
It's been a long time haven't see her served pretty well all around the match,please end the match as soon as possible the next time,it's really scared me a lot...

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Nice going Maria :bounce:

mboyle
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:15 PM
The Queen is back!!! :woohoo:

Dani... good effort :hug:

As we all know, I'm as big a Sharapova fan as they come, and I'm really happy right now, but let's not announce that the queen is back. She should have won much more easily than this. She still had 5 DFs. She still won under 40% of second serve points. She still choked at the end. She still has miles to go before she can compete for the title. Obviously I have faith she can do it, but beating Hantuchova 6-4; 7-5 proves little.

Kworb
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Great, Masha! Loved the outfit, no need to be walking around half naked.

nouf
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM
sharapova vs hantuchova set1 already online
http://wtatour.fr/showthread.php?p=2047#post2047

Maria Croft
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Great win, I'm just happy, I so didn't expect her to play so well :worship: :)

s_j
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:19 PM
As we all know, I'm as big a Sharapova fan as they come, and I'm really happy right now, but let's not announce that the queen is back. She should have won much more easily than this. She still had 5 DFs. She still won under 40% of second serve points. She still choked at the end. She still has miles to go before she can compete for the title. Obviously I have faith she can do it, but beating Hantuchova 6-4; 7-5 proves little.

However, after the showings against Radwanska and Azarenka, this is GOOD. Her serve was good (bar a few DFs), fast and hard with aces, and she was really motivated. Of course she is nowhere near the incredibly dominant US Open 2006 form she had last year, but prospects for 2008 are looking good! :)

faboozadoo15
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:19 PM
sharapova vs hantuchova set1 already online
http://wtatour.fr/showthread.php?p=2047#post2047

I adore you (even though I just watched the match and don't need to see it).

tennis_lover89
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
amazing from maria considering she started to serve only a week and a half ago!..and that this is the 1str match since moscow :hearts:

eugreene2
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Maria is DEFINITELY gonna be in the semis. I don't know why people hatin'. I'm by no means a fan of hers but I know a player when I see one. maria is a true competitor. She has gotten knocked down this year by my girls and others but come saturday, you'll see her against justine, serena or Jelena

faboozadoo15
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I'm very happy with how she played overall. Daniela is in really good form, and Maria was very aggressive. I think she'll round out the rough edges as the week goes on. It takes off some of the pressure winning in straight sets too.

Very nice that it didn't go to three sets.

Kitten63
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Well done Masha!!

loppy
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Congrats Maria!

Rod the Bama
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Good win for Maria. :clap2: Her serve was better than i expected it to be. It was nice to see her serving more to the side. I also like the nice forehand she had going, which lead to some nice shots. The only negatives was the trouble she had

As for Dani, i`m very surprised that she didn`t stick to trying to make Maria move around a lot. Her serve was subpar, she wasn`t trying to do too much with her shots at times and wasn`t aggressive enough at times, especially when she let that ball bounce behind her instead of moving back and returning it. Dani needs to get that straightened out by her next match.

In all it was a nice competitive match between two of tennis` most beautiful players. :hearts: BTW nice contrast in outfits for Maria and Dani.

f_torres
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:23 PM
:worship:

Ballbasher
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Finally a win again for Masha :banana: But Dani :awww:

Europe rocks
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Dani :sad: Very good chance for you to get a win against Masha. Shame you couldn't get it to a third, but just keep fighting and you'll get there

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Maria is DEFINITELY gonna be in the semis. I don't know why people hatin'. I'm by no means a fan of hers but I know a player when I see one. maria is a true competitor. She has gotten knocked down this year by my girls and others but come saturday, you'll see her against justine, serena or Jelena

thanks , you're right .

perseus2006
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Based on the first couple of games, this was Dani's match. But Pova visibly improved her play game by game and by the end of the first set was clearly the better player.

Congrats to Pova for an incredible showing given her circumstances. The question is, can she keep up the effort?

Kudos to Dani for fighting to "Game, Set, Match!". That's something she doesn't always do and perhaps will get her wins in the next two rounds.

bellascarlett
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Masha!!!!!!!!!! :aparty: :woohoo:

Congrats! :hug: Too damn bad I wasn't able to watch (ugh) but I'm glad she's won her opening match and won't be winless in her group. Also, good she won in straights but some issues seem to still be there with the wasting of matchpoints. Anyway, hope this only makes her play better in the next matches. Cmon Mash!!!!! :rocker2:

VasVas
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Daniela :hug:

P_Fer
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Great job Masha! Good to see you playing again!
Nice effort Dani :) good luck to both girls in the rest of their matches

Slumpsova
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Crappova :mad:

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:18 PM
shame on you tuna

LefandePatty
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Mashaaa! :rocker2: :hearts: :banana: :bowdown:

Well done! :D :aparty:

Daniela. :awww: :hug:

I want Maria and Danka to qualify for the semis. :)

Princeza
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Crappova :mad:

Tuna, new posters may actually think you hate Masha :(
But we know you, we know you love her :(
That's why we love you :(

Ellery
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Masha :yeah:

Slumpsova
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:25 PM
shame on you tuna
why? you can't see it?
sorry this is the biggest size i can get.

Slutiana
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Oh god. Look at all the maria fans proclaiming shes back after that shambles of a match. However, i wouldn't mind her going through ahead of Ana.

Slumpsova
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Oh god. Look at all the maria fans proclaiming shes back after that shambles of a match. However, i wouldn't mind her going through ahead of Ana.
some sweet fans are over the moon right now. it's so pathetic. some even think this is her winning outfit. good lord, beat Hantuchova YEC is actually means a walk over IMO :devil:

-SheLL-
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Dani :awww: Masha :)

RJWCapriati
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Daniela must have been off.......

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Very good stuff from Masha! Good job!

BIG :lol: @ that missed by Daniela lob...

Russianboy
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:34 PM
why? you can't see it?
sorry this is the biggest size i can get.

are u ok?

Slumpsova
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:36 PM
are u ok?
no, i'm not. i'm so fucking pissed. hopefully she loses the next two.

Poova
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:37 PM
:weirdo: So people can't be happy their fave beat a good opponent? Heaven knows we've been waiting since San Diego for a decent win like this. :p Anyway, no one's claiming she's back, but she played a good match I thought. :shrug:

F-R-E-A-K
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:37 PM
:woohoo:

YAY!!
Congrats Maria!! :kiss: :hearts: :worship:

Russianboy
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:38 PM
no, i'm not. i'm so fucking pissed. hopefully she loses the next two.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Renalicious
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Good job Maria. :)

Dan23
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Good result...hard to say much having not seen it but a win is a pretty good way to start.

Havent heard much from doni and co so far? :confused:

some sweet fans are over the moon right now. it's so pathetic. some even think this is her winning outfit. good lord, beat Hantuchova YEC is actually means a walk over IMO :devil:Where is everyone jumping over the moon?? Maria has now played 2 matches since early september and looked like being in reasonable form. We've seen this before this year though so theres nothing to get too excited about....but seeing this winning smile is what we want :cool:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1949/ba8191106161024x768oz4.jpg

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:13 PM
yes she's so happy
http://aycu33.webshots.com/image/32712/2002096361680022751_rs.jpg

faboozadoo15
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Daniela must have been off.......

Must have... and same for the other 5 times she's lost to Maria, you dumbfuck.

faboozadoo15
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:24 PM

:rolleyes: Nobody's jumping to any rash conclusions. She just beat a top10 player, people are happy. chill out.

IceHock
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Well sharapova's serve is at least normal again, but Daniela just seemed clumsy and careless this whole match, it didnt look like she was hitting hard at all and her serve was subpar but she fought good, but that ball she let drop wow.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Sveta'll be tough to her ,

Effy
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:53 PM
some sweet fans are over the moon right now. it's so pathetic. some even think this is her winning outfit. good lord, beat Hantuchova YEC is actually means a walk over IMO :devil:

sweet fish, there is a life apart from wtaworld. Go, get it :hug: :awww:

SerenaWFan
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Honestly those of you who expected Hantuchova to win this match are delusional. Yes, Hantuchova was in good form coming in and Sharapova wasn't, but so what? Sharapova is clearly the mentally tougher player and I knew she would have gutted out this win no matter what.

This is definitely a step up for Maria, but a win over Hantuchova isn't really the best way to gauge her game. I thought she played well but no where near the way she needs to play to win this title. After watching the Kuznetsova/Ivanovic match, I do think she has a shot to make the semis, although I still think she'll lose to Ana.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:58 PM
in in the red group at the WTA Tour Championships in Madrid as she defeated world #9 Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia 6-4 7-5 in 1 hour and 48 minutes.

The match was close and it was particularly impressive as Maria only started to practice serving a week and a half ago and this is only Maria's 2nd match since early September.

Maria got the early break in the 1st game of the 1st set as Hantuchova double-faulted but Hantuchova did the same to Maria and the match was back on serve.  All the games were held on serve until Maria broke Hantuchova to lead 5-4 when Hantuchova hit a backhand into the net.  Maria won the set 6-4 on an unreturnable serve in 44 minutes.

Maria got the break to lead 2-1 in the 2nd set when she hit a return into the corner.  The next games were held on serve until Maria was broken while serving for the match at 5-4 after having some matchpoints.  Maria managed to get the break back to lead 6-5 to serve for the match and won the match on a strong serve down the tee.

Maria has 2 more matches to play against Ana Ivanovic and Svetlana Kuznetsova and will play again on Thursday.

bellascarlett
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:10 PM

I do remember "walk-over" Hantuchova beating someone recently. :haha: Hey, at least Hantuchova was at the YEC. :drool:

Must have... and same for the other 5 times she's lost to Maria, you dumbfuck.

:rolleyes: Nobody's jumping to any rash conclusions. She just beat a top10 player, people are happy. chill out.

Way to OWN, faboo. :wavey:

tennis_lover89
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:12 PM
tuna is gonna have a heart attack :lol: ..an advice tuna? go and focus on your fave :wavey:

Andy.
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Im so happy for Masha. She looks like she has come here really ready to compete regardless of the problems she has had this year. Im so proud of her. Good luck next match

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:42 PM
yes she's a fighter .

heytennis
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:46 PM
She seems determined and her play looks okay so I'm guessing she will have very competitive matches with Sveta and Ana.

dybbuk
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Maria :yeah: Nice service performance compared to what we have seen lately. Take out Sveta now :drool:

Alicia Rocks
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Dani :hug: Good fight!

Well done Masha - interesting outfit ;)

Lucyxx
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Dani still can win this group.

Masha's FH was :drool: but her serve can be a liability.

stevos
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Dan said it first, where is Doni and co.? :p
Hilarious.

I only watched the second set, am now watching the first, and I have to say this play is a great sign, having watched her play all year. To Dani's credit, she hit three great serves on the first three match points, there was no choking.
The double fault to get broken for 5-all was choking I guess, and drove me insane, but Maria can still pull it out. :hearts:

She was smacking it so hard on some points, it was so beautiful to see. Some returns :drool:.
I can't imagine her not making the semis, really. If Dani can take at least a set off Kuzy and Ana, it will help Maria a lot as well.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:03 AM
good that she won....her real test will be her next two matches...ana and sveta will both definitely make her move and will be quick to jump on her bad serves should there be any and they can defend against her shots...unlike certain players she played today...those two can actually play :angel:

goldlion
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:05 AM
In fact, having Daniela as the first opponent in the group is beneficial to Maria.

First and foremost, she ranks the lowest among the 8 players.

Second, it is the first attempt for her to be in YEC.

After watching the fist set, I think Maria wants to test her accuracy.

She made quite a lot of unforced errors in some unforced situations.

So I think what she needs to do is to hit the groundstrokes accurately.

By the way, it seems she didn't hit any drive volley in the first set.

Does that mean she didn't want to bother her shoulder further?

Helaena
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:23 AM
wow! masha! :hearts:

LucasArg
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Daniela :sad:

gary
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Masha :woohoo: :banana: :worship:

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Nice win Masha. :D

*Jean*
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:53 AM
C'mon Masha! I'm so glad she was so motivated and fighting for her return to competition! What a backhand today :hearts: C'MON MASHA!

Foot's Fingers
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Masha :banana:

Josh.
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:08 AM
daniela. :hug:

.:sk:.
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Dani :hug:

WIMBLY2004
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Well done Maria, I thought she might choke at the end, thank god she proved me wrong.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I'm afraid of the coming match with Ivanovic .

tennis_lover89
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I'm not:p

xan
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I'm really happy to see Masha on court again and playing some good tennis! :) A pleasant surprise after a dreadful couple of months.

Nice win over a Daniela who has been in good form lately. Hopefully Maria has got some of the rust off now and will be able to make it to the Semis.

tennis_lover89
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I hope she handles ivanovic well..I'm sure she's anxious to give her some revenge :)

Slumpsova
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:26 PM
be very afraid. oh you can commit suicide today or you don't get to see that horrible lose :lol:

Slampova
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Congrats Maria. A nice solid start to the tournament. Keep it up :)

Slampova
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:50 PM
be very afraid. oh you can commit suicide today or you don't get to see that horrible lose :lol:

A guy in my class committed suicide a few days ago. I don't find that kinda talk appropriate.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
is she going to play Ivano or Kuzy tomorrow ?

Slumpsova
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM
A guy in my class committed suicide a few days ago. I don't find that kinda talk appropriate.
Cleo knows what i'm talking about.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:07 PM
and it's ?