PDA

View Full Version : Tim Ryan and Tracy Austin?

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Worse tennis commentating grouping ever?
Discuss.

dybbuk
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Tim Ryan is by far the worst commentator I have ever heard. :o

With the exception of Serena and Maria, he can never pronounce the names of the players the same way twice. :help:

Venus+Serena#1fan
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Tim is awful. Pam needs to get in the booth

serenus_2k8
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:07 PM
No they both rock tbh... There really entertaining IMO!!

Jarrett
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I have always liked Tracy Austin. Tim is just boring. We need some Pam bitchyness please.

brent-o
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I don't have anything against Tim, he's just boring. Tracy is okay.

faboozadoo15
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Tim sucks, Tracy is annoying. This may be the worst duo ever, but I actually usually like Tracy. She just has nothing to bounce off of because Tim is such a bad host.

GIVE US MORE PAM!

KoOlMaNsEaN
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Pam needs to run from on court to the broadcasting booth. Shes 100 times better than Tim whos the worst

Martian KC
Nov 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I LOATHE Tim Ryan forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IndyMauresmoFan
Nov 6th, 2007, 06:21 PM
YES!!! They are hurting my ears.. Tim is horrid and Tracy is so annoying!!

s_j
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Tracy Austin never stops talking!!! And she repeats the same things over and over and over and over... (I think you get the picture)

And Tim Ryan... not only can he not pronounce names, but he stutters, gets all his facts wrong and then tries to sound intellectual when he says the most obvious things any tennis fan would know...

But they're my favourite commentators.... NOT!!

DownTheLine21
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I love Tracy. I always look forward to her USO coverage on the USA Network. It's like a tradition.

Aravanecaravan
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Nope. That would be Katrina Adams and anybody.

Pheobo
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:46 PM
i forgot how awful tim ryan was.

"handtyoukuva"

juki
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Tim Ryan is so annoying, always laughing at things he says :rolleyes:

s_j
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:10 PM
...and he always talks over the rallies!

Rod the Bama
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Tim Ryan is very clueless. He hardly knows what he`s talking about at times. :rolleyes: I`d much rather have good old Cliff Drysdale in the booth than clueless Tim. Sure Cliff isn`t sharp as he used to be, but at least he knows a hell of a lot more tennis wise than Tim.

Demska
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I hate this Tim person.

ImaVeggie
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Regarding Tim... I kept saying "What a doofus!"

Tennisace
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Tim is great...if I were blind, seriously though, he describes every point. Someone needs to inform him that he's suppose to provide commentary and not narration.

The Daviator
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Every single time Ana missed a first serve he'd point it out 'Another second serve' :o I like Tracy :D

dybbuk
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Tim Ryan is so annoying, always laughing at things he says :rolleyes:

I know. :help: There will be moments when he just won't shut up, laughing at everything he says, then slowly taper off as he realizes no one but him finds it funny. :tape:

MisterMan
Nov 7th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I love Tracy - she's candid and speaks her mind.

Tim Ryan is a foolish tool who needs to go. He contradicts, misnames players and mis-states the facts.

Rod the Bama
Nov 7th, 2007, 12:30 AM
I forgot to mention Tim`s constant mispronounciation throughout the day, especially with Anna. He really butchered her name throughout her match.

MCM
Nov 7th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I recall some bad blood eons ago between Tracy and Pam. Could this be why they do not commentate together(or have they made peace)?:confused:

darrinbaker00
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Pam needs to run from on court to the broadcasting booth. Shes 100 times better than Tim whos the worst
Why would Pam do that? She's actually in Madrid; Ryan and Austin are calling the matches from a studio here in the United States.

s_j
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Tim is great...if I were blind, seriously though, he describes every point. Someone needs to inform him that he's suppose to provide commentary and not narration.

That is EXACTLY what I said to my friend last night... and it's SO true!

MistyGrey
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:00 AM
You obviously havent had to sit through a Vijay Amrtiraj-Niropama Vaidianathan-Alan Wilkins commentated match :scared:
Lucky for you! :kiss:

hablo
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:44 AM
All the complaints about Tim Ryan are right on.
First time I've heard him commentating was yesterday, and he irritated me so much. :help:

partbrit
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Ryan is not the sharpest of commentators, but he is the only one who acknowledges that the majority of the players are women, not "girls" or "young ladies." I give him big points for that (and how sad that someone stands out for not using sexist language).

moon
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:03 PM
they could not have picked a worse combination.
this makes me long for PMac and Chris Fowler.

partbrit
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:11 AM
NOTHING could ever make me long for Patrick McEnroe.

Lindsayfan32
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:21 AM
My introducation to Tim Ryan was when I brought the 2004 Bank of west final on DVD. He was commintating with MJ and the match went for 2:55 and after about hour I was thinking of turning the sound off. He is by far the worst commintator I'vce ever heard. I like Tracy Austin though she's funny and insightful. You don't know what bad commintating is until you listen to who we get Australia.

ptkten
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Tim may be a little annoying but at least he doesn't unfairly criticize players the way some other commentators do. I would take him over Tracy, Ted Robinson, Jim Courier, and a lot of other announcers any day.

tennisfan5
Nov 8th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Tracy is somewhat irritating, but at least she knows her tennis; i cringe, however, when she uses sports terminology, like "Ivanovic is bringing the heat." It sounds so unnatural coming out of her mouth.

Tim Ryan is by far the worst commentator. His voice is irritating, he's boring, he gets everything wrong--from the score, to calling a forehand a backhand etc... And how many times can he talk about a player being in the championships and getting used to the round robin format--that they have to get used to coming back and playing the next day after a loss. Not the biggest deal tim! they know the format before the play. Argh!

I like Pam. ESPN doesn't use her enough either--she's always the courtside person. I like when she and MJF do matches.

plantman
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:01 AM
I'm loving the praise shown to Justine......The comparison to Federer, her greatness, dominance.....keep the positive's coming Tim & Tracy!:)

darrinbaker00
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:08 AM
I'm loving the praise shown to Justine......The comparison to Federer, her greatness, dominance.....keep the positive's coming Tim & Tracy!:)
Here's hoping Kuznetsova can play the Nalbandian role this week..... ;)

plantman
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Here's hoping Kuznetsova can play the Nalbandian role this week..... ;)

Not likely!:lol:

darrinbaker00
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Not likely!:lol:
How about Bartoli? She's beaten Henin on the grandest tennis stage, and she certainly has a comparable build to Nalbandian. ;)

dwynn10
Nov 8th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Every single time Ana missed a first serve he'd point it out 'Another second serve' :o I like Tracy :D

Cliff Drysdale does the same thing too: saying the obvious, like "Deuce" or "30-40" right after the umpire has just said it. Tracy Austin has a valley-girl voice, like she's never outgrown her little-girl persona. She also doesn't seem to be able to express her thought or explain technical points very well. I also watch figure skating. In that sport, the announcing team of the doddering Dick Button and the superficial Peggy Fleming is the equivalent of Tim Ryan/Cliff Drysdale and Tracy Austin.

Jakarta
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I still think Niropam "I'm stating the obvious here people" is a hands-down, gob-smacking, head-scratching winner when it comes to bad commentating (afraid we don't get Mr. Ryan in these parts), but read what Vijay said about American commentators in a recent article here ...

Amritraj, a voice for Asian tennis
Features - September 28, 2007

Bruce Emond, The Jakarta Post, Nusa Dua, Bali

Vijay Amritraj has always stood out from the rest. First it was as one of the few Asian players on the ATP Tour men's tennis circuit, and more recently as an affable, well-spoken commentator on STAR Sports.

While some sports commentators are chosen for their eye candy value, the Indian is the sensible voice of reason who can discuss the fundamentals of the game but also dish on where Maria Sharapova ate dinner the night before.

His gasped "I say", reserved for a magical piece of shot-making by Roger Federer or the beauty of Justine Henin's backhand, is his homage of sorts to the late Dan Maskell, the BBC's legendary Wimbledon commentator who knew that less is more when it comes to talking tennis.

He acknowledges modeling his style on Maskell, not talkative American commentators who, "don't realize that it's TV, not radio, we can see what is going on."

moon
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:54 PM

:bs:

supergrunt
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:14 PM
NOTHING could ever make me long for Patrick McEnroe.

:lol:

Brashkoala
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Tim Ryan is the worst commentator ever. He is absolutely horrible. The things he says are just completely useless or irrelevant. He never offers any insight in the players on or off the court. All he does is repeat the same thing Tracy Austin said the previous half hour in ten different ways. Completely unoriginal. He brings nothing to the table.

I love Tracy Austin. She is my favorite commentator ever.

shibster
Nov 9th, 2007, 03:09 AM
LOL. today during the sharapova kuzzy match:
tim: so instead of serving to hold her serve, she served a DF
tracy: (hesitation) that was an ace.

priceless.

dear tim: if there is no call, or no arm stretching out from the lines people, the ball is IN. just thought you may be interested to know.

RJWCapriati
Nov 9th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Discuss.

For once, I agree with you. It can't get any worse with that combination, they have no clue what they are talking about.

SelesFan70
Nov 9th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Gimme Bud Collins and Tracy Austin!

samn
Nov 10th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Tracy Austin does have a very annoying squeak in her voice, but I don't think she's as bad in the commentary booth as someone like the dread, Nirupama Vaidianathan, or the tedious John Barrett or even the dull as dishwater Sam Smith. Austin at least does fairly good analysis of the game from a technical standpoint, which is something I always look forward to. Contrast that with the horrendous commentating skills of, say, Chris Evert, whose idea of technical analysis was to state the bleeding obvious like, "Martina loves to serve and volley", or "Steffi has a huge forehand", or "Monica hits really hard off both sides". No shit, Chrissie, tell us something we can't fucking well see with our own eyes. Evert was such a smart player in her day, so it was always so disappointing that she was never able to express her tennis smarts verbally in the commentary booth.

Also, someone compared British commentators to their American counterparts. Now I'm not defending the likes of Barry Mackay, Ms Evert, or Pamzilla Shriver, but it is worth remembering that tennis matches on the BBC do not have commercial breaks, so the commentators have the luxury of doing their talking during the changeovers. The American commentators have to talk while the games are in progress because it's the only chance they'll get.

Oh, and I don't care how senile they get, I love listening to Virginia Wade and Uncle Cliff (Drysdale). I think it's the South African accents. ;) Another commentator that I found interesting was JoAnne Russell back when she did commentary for NBC in the 1980s.

samn
Nov 10th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Gimme Bud Collins and Tracy Austin!

Oh, please, ANYONE but Bud Collins. Nice guy but far too irritating in the commentary booth. One can only take his shouting into the mike so many times. Well, I suppose Pamzilla Shriver has taken over the shouting-into-the-microphone duties from him now, so Collins is undoubtedly the lesser evil, not to mention more knowledgeable about tennis.

chuvack
Nov 10th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Give Tracy a break.

Tracy does a much superior job in the booth comparing to Mary Carillo. Tracy just has so much more knowledge about the game and she usually tries to support what she say with decent factual argument. I'll take her squeaky voice over Carillo syrupy baritone any day. Carillo is only a good commentator for casual fans who know next to nothing about how the game of tennis is actually played.

LudwigDvorak
Nov 10th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Tracy can be fine. Many others have pointed out she can explain the tactics and technicalities of the game very well, so it's nice to hear a commentator talk about something other than "WOW SHE HIT THE BALL HARD." Although that voice...

Tim, sucks of course.

Mary Joe Fernandez and Pam Shriver are my favorite American commentators; Jo Durie and Chris Bradnam are the best tennis commentators period, although together they're at the best. Although Chris, well...he can get a tad bit dramatic and dark. :lol:

LudwigDvorak
Nov 10th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Oh, and who is that tinny, whiny voiced dude on TTC? He commentates like almost every match, he and Jason Goodall did most of Paris/Madrid TMS. I really don't like him. Jason is boring too, has no life in his voice at all, although he did make several excellent Nalbandian fat jokes against Del Potro in Madrid.

brent-o
Nov 10th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Oh, and who is that tinny, whiny voiced dude on TTC? He commentates like almost every match, he and Jason Goodall did most of Paris/Madrid TMS. I really don't like him. Jason is boring too, has no life in his voice at all, although he did make several excellent Nalbandian fat jokes against Del Potro in Madrid.

Leif Shiras?

carling
Nov 10th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Tracy Austin is the best. She's knows the game and the players. Her comments are insightful and relevant. I also like the way she gives us "the scoop" on offcourt stuff like boyfriends, etc. from time to time. Tracy is my favorite commentator by far.

Tim Ryan is a dingbat. He called Ivanovic Ivanesovic during her match with Dani! Ryan makes a lot of stupid mistakes like that and generally talks too damn much. He's completely worthless.

Thank God for Tracy. :)

Brandon85
Nov 10th, 2007, 05:07 PM
i think tim ryan has to be the biggest nerd on the planet. tracy is good, but time literally doesn't quit talking. he just goes on an on about nonsense. they need to fire his geeky ass!