PDA

View Full Version : 4 months to analyse a drug sample? (!!!!!!!!!!!)

only_one_maria
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Why has it taken so long? If Martina tested positive why wasn't she banned for taking an illegal substance? What has been going on for the last 4 months in which she has played several tournaments? Why on earth were the results of a doping test not made public? All of this is very strange.

I want some answers. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ksenia.
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Wasn't there said that Martina got to know result in mid september or something and that WTA didn't receive any information about the test?

griffin
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:43 PM
First, Scott didn't say he didn't know about the test - only that he'd not gotten "official word" If he didn't know what was going on, I'm the Pope.

Second, I believe the official rule is that the results aren't supposed to be made public until both samples are tested, and the player in question has had a chance to challenge them.

But I do find it highly suspiciuos there wasn't even a LEAK about this earlier.

only_one_maria
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:00 PM
But wait a minute. What if she had tested postive for a REAL performance enhancer? She could have continued playing whilst they spent months trying to analyse a sample. I've worked in labs and these tests don't take that long to do.

If it was any other sport, a positive test would lead to automatic suspension and the player would have to fight to clear their name.

The fact that the news only emerged when she announced her retirement only makes it more strange. How long were the WTA prepared to go on keeping us in the dark? And how long does it take Hingis to challenge the results? 4 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!

missvarsha
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM
1. Positive drug tests for either performance enhancers, or whatever always take this long, so can it. Athletes are ALWAYS getting their results stripped retroactively, even a few years after the fact.

2. Each test may not take that long, if you have an entire lab to do it. I imagine there are only a few certified labs however that deal with drug testing for all of the thousands and thousands of professional athletes, so there is always a backlog.

3. Again, after a positive test on the A sample I imagine the authorities and/or the player is informed at which point they go back get the B sample out of storage and test that, probably with a different more accurate test. Paperwork always takes time.

Shepster
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:06 PM
But I do find it highly suspiciuos there wasn't even a LEAK about this earlier.
That's because the lab isn't in France... ;)

Shooter
Nov 6th, 2007, 06:03 PM
U bring up an interesting point. Why did it take so long for the results of this drug test to be announced? I have some other questions - Should tennis players be tested for non-performance enhancing drugs? (I don't think so) What other failed drug testing results have been kept from the public? (I assume many) Should results be taken away retroactively? (absolutely not) Drug testing has to be done on the spot, at the time of the competition. If you can't do it that way, then don't do it. Taking away Olympic Gold medals that were won years ago is ridiculous.