PDA

View Full Version : Henin Aims To Finish Strong.......

plantman
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Henin hopes to cap stellar year with a 10th 2007 title
Nov. 5, 2007
CBSSports.com wire reports

MADRID, Spain -- Justine Henin returns to the Sony Ericsson Championships looking for her second straight victory at the season-ending WTA tournament.

Advertisement

The top-ranked Belgian -- winner of nine titles this year -- beat Amelie Mauresmo in 2006 to finish as year-end No. 1. Despite missing the Australian Open, Henin returned to defend her French Open title and win her second U.S. Open.

Henin, who is on a 20-match winning streak, is bidding to become the sixth player to win consecutive WTA championships and eighth multiple winner. The last back-to-back champion was fellow Belgian Kim Clijsters.

Whatever happens in Madrid this week, Henin is assured of finishing the year as No. 1.

"I'd rather win 10 titles than nine," she said. "It won't be easy because all the best players are there. But as the world's No. 1, I want to turn it into a point of honor to retain my title."
Henin was drawn into the tough yellow group along with Australian Open champion Serena Williams -- the only American player in the field -- third-ranked Jelena Jankovic and Russia's Anna Chakvetadze.

The red group has No. 2 Svetlana Kuznetsova, French Open runnerup Ana Ivanovic, Maria Sharapova and Daniela Hantuchova.

The top two from each group advance to play in Saturday's semifinals.

Play begins Tuesday with Henin facing Chakvetadze, Sharapova vs. Hantuchova and Kuznetsova against Ivanovic.

I think she's more motivated than ever! Show them what you got Justine!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Meghanns Journey
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I will be really surprised if Justine doesn't win. The others can push her but she's got all their numbers. :)