PDA

View Full Version : Spanish crowd and YEC

itzhak
Nov 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM
The venue is fantastic and Madrid is great city. The problem is that the Spanish crowd (and media) without local player are not so interest in Female Tennis. You cannot compare it to the intensive coverage of the ATP masters 3 weeks ago.

The stadium will not be full, very far from it until the last stages of the tournament. I know very good the spanish attitude. They love tennis and there is great atmosphere in tournaments there but it is only when it comes to ATP.
It will be like Rome in the clay season- When the Masters cup of ATP was there it was great with full stands and almost sold out everyday. When, in the next week, Tier 1 of WTA was held there it was empty all week with lack of atmosphere. I'm afraid that Madrid is similar...

My impression is true or not?

goldenlox
Nov 5th, 2007, 10:30 PM
This could be why they are moving. They're going to where women have very few rights, but women tennis players get paid big money.

swissmr
Nov 5th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I thought last years crowds were great.

Wayn77
Nov 5th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Last year's Madrid YEC was a considered success.

Big stadium pretty full most days, terrific atmosphere despite no local involvement.

IceHock
Nov 5th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Well theres at least 2 players who train in spain, and i'm sure some spanish people will know that.

Sonf@
Nov 5th, 2007, 11:07 PM
It's not full during the week because most people in Madrid are working, though is not empty either. Let's say that around 60% or 70% of tickets are sold.

There's almost no chance to get a ticket on weekend so I wouldn't call that a disaster ;)

The reason they're moving is because they want to make the YEC an itinerant event.

Let's see what happens next year in Doha (remember that not many people attend the tournament during the week)

starin
Nov 5th, 2007, 11:13 PM
who will the spanish crowds cheer for?
my guesses the most support will go to: Justine, Kuznetsova, Hantuchova, Sharapova, Ivanovic
Second tier: Jankovic, chakvetadze

Bottom of the Barrel: Serena

Wayn77
Nov 5th, 2007, 11:25 PM
my guesses the most support will go to: Justine, Kuznetsova, Hantuchova, Sharapova, Ivanovic

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Knowledgeable and classy crowd who obviously love their tennis.

They will cheer loudest for whoever is "rocking the joint" out in the middle.

VishaalMaria
Nov 5th, 2007, 11:25 PM

Ahhh who gives two shits? Serena's dealt with lack of crowd support for several years now. She'll be more worried about what to wear.

faboozadoo15
Nov 5th, 2007, 11:33 PM
The YEC is going to be shit anywhere but in Madison Square Garden.

Madrid is AT LEAST much better than that Germany debacle.

DefyingGravity
Nov 6th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Oh my god. Remember Munich, and the first year of L.A. Hell, the second year except for the Sharapova-Serena final?

smashi
Nov 6th, 2007, 12:31 AM
I thought it was a success last year. The evenings and weekends were full. The matches are not played during the day, don't they start at about 6pm?

Hingiswinsthis
Nov 6th, 2007, 12:55 AM
hmmmm.....most people thought that it was the best city for the YEC outside MSG? hmmm. I thought it was a success as well last year.

slk45
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Well theres at least 2 players who train in spain, and i'm sure some spanish people will know that.Do they train mainly on the plain?

Los Angeles was a ridiculous spectacle when it was held there.

stefi62
Nov 6th, 2007, 07:14 AM
I was there last year and remember a nice atmosphere! I can hardly wait to go back there this year!

FFS
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Last year was amazing.
Spanish crowd was incredible. They were fantastic even if there were no Spanish players
Everyday the stadium was full.
The organization was perfect.
Incredible well done for spectators: there were 3 practice courts and there were announces about which player, at what time and on which court there was the practice hour.
Madrid has been the best YEC in the last 10 years and maybe more.

It's really a shame next year they move to Doha

goldenlox
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Aren't the women going to be there with the men for 2 weeks, starting in 2009?

Blu€
Nov 6th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Spanish crowd is a bit cold with women's tennis but that's mainly because all the good seats are taken by these "VIP" who just come to show off, then you see them all falling asleep in the magazines or TV programs, I know its not the first place where this happens but it really annoys me when they keep showing these people on TV like if they were interested in tennis! Lower the prices & let the true fans come in you will see how they cheer up the girls!

Shepster
Nov 6th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Aren't the women going to be there with the men for 2 weeks, starting in 2009?
The men are going to London from 2009 for 4 years for the YEC, but they're making it a mandatory tournament with the roadmap.

thrust
Nov 6th, 2007, 12:32 PM
BJK said that last year^s YEC in Madirid was the best ever, and she has been to all of them.

stickwitju(ju)
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:12 PM
The venue is fantastic and Madrid is great city. The problem is that the Spanish crowd (and media) without local player are not so interest in Female Tennis. You cannot compare it to the intensive coverage of the ATP masters 3 weeks ago.

The stadium will not be full, very far from it until the last stages of the tournament. I know very good the spanish attitude. They love tennis and there is great atmosphere in tournaments there but it is only when it comes to ATP.
It will be like Rome in the clay season- When the Masters cup of ATP was there it was great with full stands and almost sold out everyday. When, in the next week, Tier 1 of WTA was held there it was empty all week with lack of atmosphere. I'm afraid that Madrid is similar...

My impression is true or not?

You act like it's something new that the arena is empty AND you're also expecting peeps to care like this is the World Cup final. Just enjoy the matches and forget about everything else because you'll be really disappointed otherwise.

:cool:

stevos
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I thought the atmosphere was excellent, and that crowds were decent. Someone above mentioned the rich VIP's getting the closer tickets, which is a problem with most sports. Companies own seats and no one goes.
the best atmosphere is up in the nosebleeds.

Anyway, I say we cherish this before it goes to Doha. :weirdo:

stickwitju(ju)
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I thought the atmosphere was excellent, and that crowds were decent. Someone above mentioned the rich VIP's getting the closer tickets, which is a problem with most sports. Companies own seats and no one goes.
the best atmosphere is up in the nosebleeds.

Anyway, I say we cherish this before it goes to Doha. :weirdo:

But sometimes those coporate seats are given to assholes who know nothing about tennis let alone care about it but go coz they got nothing better to do who then get freakin' shitfaced and ruin it for peeps who really care about tennis.

:fiery:

stevos
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Thats exactly my point: it's a problem.
However, I love drunk sports fans, it's what you want.
Lots of yelling, lots of noise. Good stuff. :yeah:

stevos
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:46 PM

QUEENLINDSAY
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:15 PM
right now the stadium looks almost empty at Anna-Justine match.

Wayn77
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:19 PM
right now the stadium looks almost empty at Anna-Justine match.

Quit bellyaching ... :rolleyes:

Corporate seats are empty (as usual) the stands pretty full.

Princeza
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:21 PM
This is pathetic. Gimme these places damn!

Expat
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:22 PM
lol the world no 1 is playing and no one is even interested
i see the WTA has scheduled well
keeping serena and maria at later times of the day

QUEENLINDSAY
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Quit bellyaching ... :rolleyes:

Corporate seats are empty (as usual) the stands pretty full.

huh???

open your eyes, im not trying to degrade anyones popularity, its just empty right now.

Wayn77
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:25 PM
lol the world no 1 is playing and no one is even interested
i see the WTA has scheduled well
keeping serena and maria at later times of the day

Sit back and enjoy a masterclass from the World No. 1

You will get your ball-bashers later. :wavey:

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I like the change that indoors seems to make with crowds.
The crowd in Spain outdoors is quite rowdy but indoors they're actually quite calm.
The same goes for Paris.
Indoors the crowd seems refrained while at Roland Garros they can be quite rude.

I like the dance music being played between points. I like how the matches can go late into the night and that they start in the evening.
I think it's a fun atmosphere.

slk45
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:54 PM
"Drunk sports fans" definitely are not what we want. Besides being arrogant and obnoxious, they ruin the event for everyone else present, including players. Intelligent tennis fans who are conscious are what we want.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:56 PM
well today is an unfortunate day as they will only get die hard tennis fans coming to the match since Real Madrid is playing Champions League today

hanafan
Nov 6th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Attendances figures were excellent last year. This message is posted by someone who wants to dismiss women's tennis success. That's pathetic.

Wayn77
Nov 6th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Attendances figures were excellent last year. This message is posted by someone who wants to dismiss women's tennis success. That's pathetic.

:worship: :worship:

Excellent attendances, well organised. Good start to this year as well.

Sad Madrid is losing out to Doha :weirdo: next year.

Volcana
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:25 PM
well today is an unfortunate day as they will only get die hard tennis fans coming to the match since Real Madrid is playing Champions League today
Thank you. At last reason to hope. i was quite surprised that the stadium was so empty fr Henin's match. She IS the best clay court player since Graf, and three time reigning RG champ. I figured that would pull people out of the woodwork. Then again, it recalls what Serena said about Los Angeles. "It's L.A. People have things to do." Madrid IS a world city. People may just have been bbusy making money. I know in LA, the crownds didn't come out tl Venus and Serena played. There's no hometown hero for Spaniards, f course, but hopefully the crwds will be there for the semis.

spiceboy
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Stadium was pretty full for the last match (and it is now 00:45am there on a Monday night!)

itzhak
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:49 PM
The crowd were awsome tonight, much better than at this point last year....