PDA

View Full Version : Most depressing film ever you've seen?

Mattographer
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I just finally saw Requiem for a Dream for the first time and I find it rather depressing. I was sitting and watch the movie with hold my breathe during those intense scenes especially towards the ending.

(I can see why people praised Ellen Burstyn on her performance in this movie and should have won that Oscar over Julia Roberts)

Either this or House of Sand and Fog is the most depressing film ever I've seen. Oddly, Jennifer Connelly was in both movies.

kabuki
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Dancer in the Dark

shap_half
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Dancer in the Dark was pretty depressing.

I just saw Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and that movie was really, really intense. I spent almost the entire sitting extremely nervous. After, I realized how incredibly bad the world we live in can be and, for some people, is.

shap_half
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Dancer in the Dark

darn! beat me by a sec :)

Ilikebigboobies
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Boys Dont Cry

Not sure if it was 'depressing', or more disturbing. It made to to weird to ever finish it. Maybe I will one day.

Olórin
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:28 PM
A.I.

Most depressing film ever.

justine schnyder
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I don't remember... "The Diary" was pretty sad

Pureracket
Nov 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Kids

miffedmax
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Assuming that RG '04 doesn't really count as a movie, I'll say "The Fog of War." That the US could have gotten things so horribly wrong, and worse, not learned a thing from it is depressing as all get out.

I made the mistake of seeing "American Beauty" in the middle of my divorce. (Let's take Max out to a movie! that'll cheer him up!. Thanks guys). So it's pretty high on my list, too.

On the flip side, if "Rockers" doesn't cheer you ass up and make you want to dance and in general be happy as all get out, then you have no soul at all.

the jamierbelyea
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I agree with Dancer in the Dark, it was the first movie that popped into my head.

Zombielicious
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:52 PM
"The Deer Hunter"

"Hanging Up" of COURSE I see this one right after my Grandpa dies and Walter Matthau looks alot like my grandpa and ends up dying in the end... just... wow. I can't really watch this movie.

kabuki
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:59 PM
A.I.

Most depressing film ever.

If by depressing you mean overly sentimental and insipid, that is.

canuckfan
Nov 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Requiem for a Dream and Million Dollar Baby

SunriseSunset
Nov 5th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Blood Diamond. It really made me appreciative of what I have. Seeing what people in my mum's country have been through (amputation) was horrifying.

CanIGetAWhat
Nov 5th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Nobody Knows and House of Sand and Fog

shap_half
Nov 5th, 2007, 05:50 PM
If by depressing you mean overly sentimental and insipid, that is.

righty-o

I was gonna say Elizabeth: THe Golden Age, but that was just depressingly bad.

Hachiko
Nov 5th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Any of the Saw movies.

Denise4925
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I just finally saw Requiem for a Dream for the first time and I find it rather depressing. I was sitting and watch the movie with hold my breathe during those intense scenes especially towards the ending.

(I can see why people praised Ellen Burstyn on her performance in this movie and should have won that Oscar over Julia Roberts)

Either this or House of Sand and Fog is the most depressing film ever I've seen. Oddly, Jennifer Connelly was in both movies.

I agree with the two you've mentioned here and I also want to add Crash.

Ditto also on Blood Diamonds.

Adding additional films I'm just now thinking of:
Ironweed
Barfly
Hotel Rwanda
Irreversible (I still can't get this movie out of my head)

Jakeev
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Testament.

It was an an early 80s movie about a woman who survives the initial onslought of a nuclear war in her town with her children. But what made the movie so depressing was the fact they would have been better off being vaporized than going through the agony of a nuclear fallout.

Jane Alexander and Roxanna Zal were amazingly good in that movie. But the movie keeps you down for what seems like hours after watching it.

Denise4925
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Testament.

It was an an early 80s movie about a woman who survives the initial onslought of a nuclear war in her town with her children. But what made the movie so depressing was the fact they would have been better off being vaporized than going through the agony of a nuclear fallout.

Jane Alexander and Roxanna Zal were amazingly good in that movie. But the movie keeps you down for what seems like hours after watching it.

I saw that movie. It was pretty depressing.

Apoleb
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I loved A.I . I didn't think it was overly sentimental and definitely on the depressing side.

Marvin's Room depresses me, even though maybe it shouldn't.

Haute
Nov 6th, 2007, 01:07 AM
The Constant Gardener, the ending at least was so hard to watch. That reminds me, the last few minutes of 'Moulin Rouge' are just gut-wrenching, especially with that animalistic cry that Ewan McGregor makes.

new-york
Nov 6th, 2007, 01:23 AM
some parts of "The Magdalene Sisters".
it couldn't get more austere at some point.

Andy.
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:02 AM
It's not a movie more a 2 part mini series but "Mary Bryant" was really sad

rated_next
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:21 AM
American History X

Volcana
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:54 AM
'Eraserhead'
'Gone With the Wind'

Sam L
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:17 AM
'Gone With the Wind'

LOL! You don't strike me as one who'd be missing the 'Old South'.

Cage
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Notebook :sad:

spartanfan
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Ladder 49 was just aweful.

hingisGOAT
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Nothing comes close to Requiem for a Dream. The first -- and only -- movie to make me feel physically sick the first time I saw it.

NyCPsU
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:27 AM
in "i know what you did last summer" when sarah michelle gellar's character is soooo close to escaping but then gets killed in that alley had me depressed for days, no joke. i was like omg she was right there. :tape:

seriously though,

pan's labyrinth depressed me because I believe she imagined everything.
hotel rwanda
requiem for a dream for sure as many others have said

égalité
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Dancer in the Dark :sobbing:

*W*
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:39 AM
All invisible children!

mc8114
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:43 AM
probably City of Angels :o
after all he did and she died like that :sad:

Million Dollar Baby

keirana332
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Million dollar baby is up there for sure

Children of Men is also a realy, really depressing movie

tennisbear7
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Schindler's List.

[S@nti]
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:24 PM

really depressing movie!! :sad:

Qrystyna
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Dancer in the Dark
Tideland
About Schmidt
The Sweet Hereafter
Requiem for a Dream
Blue Car

Warrior
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Requiem for a dream is definately on the top of my list. Some of the others I can remember are Pan's labyrinth and Babel.

Warrior
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Just remembered Se7en. Very depressing especially the ending.

Dementieva_Dude
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:33 PM
The Sweet Hereafter

I love this movie, but yes, it is VERY depressing.

RJWCapriati
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Whats Eating Gilbert Grape
Brokeback Mountain

sfselesfan
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Requiem for a Dream was more disturbing to me than depressing.

Sophie's Choice was totally depressing.

SF

Olórin
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Schindler's List.

Can't believe I forgot this one :o

Only film that's ever actually made me cry.

The end when it reverts to the present day is just so moving :sad:

*Jool*
Nov 6th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Dancer in the Dark

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Recently, The Wind That Shakes The Barley. I just wanted to scream in pain at the end... Gut wrenching.

Requiem for a Dream was pathetic and incredibly sad. And I saw that someone mentioned Kids. I agree. I saw that movie when I was way too young, thinking it was some sort of early American Pie. :lol: I was down for hours when I finished watching. In the same vein, Bully was also really depressing.

Midnight Cowboy was also quite a downer.

oh and Mandragora, a Czech film. VERY depressing look at a 15yo small town boy's big city experience... Drugs, prostitution, AIDS. No fun.

LucasArg
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:54 AM
The Blackout by Abel Ferrara:o

mckyle.
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:54 AM
American History X

agree

mckyle.
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:03 AM
damn, i read the synopsis for some of these movies that y'all have mentioned and i have to wonder who the fuck comes up with these stories :unsure: the thought of some of these just make you want to kill yourself.

Dementieva_Dude
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:10 AM
"Mean Creek" was another depressing movie...although it all depends on which side you sympathize with...

skanky~skanketta
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Blood Diamond. I've vowed since to never buy or even wear diamonds. It's just not worth it.

Seven was awful! I was really upset by it.

Autumn in New York - more of a chick flick type movie, but i was really saddened by it.

propi
Nov 8th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Amores Perros, Dancer in the dark, some parts in Magnolia, Constant gardener, Todo sobre mi madre... long, long list!!

Jeff
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:03 AM
House of Sand and Fog
The last of the Mohicans

CooCooCachoo
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:14 AM
The Pianist :sad:

Jeff
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Any of the Saw movies.

:haha:

Beat
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:27 AM
top gun. no, honestly.

mc8114
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Amores Perros, Dancer in the dark, some parts in Magnolia, Constant gardener, Todo sobre mi madre... long, long list!!amores perros, of course! and 21 grams

V-MAC
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:07 AM
In The Bedroom is quite depressing but a quality film all the same. Superb performances by Sissy Spacek and Tom Wilkinson :worship:

V-MAC
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:08 AM
damn, i read the synopsis for some of these movies that y'all have mentioned and i have to wonder who the fuck comes up with these stories :unsure: the thought of some of these just make you want to kill yourself.

Some rather depressed and creative screenwriters I guess ;)

Medina
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Vanilla sky,, oh my.. No comment remembering that movie.. :o

supergrunt
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Million Dollar Baby :sad: .

yolis
Nov 10th, 2007, 11:12 AM
The Pianist...
But when I was child I was always crying during E.T. :-D

zut16
Nov 10th, 2007, 12:35 PM
The ending of 'Night of the Living Dead' was so bleak and depressing...

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 10th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I guess "My own private Idaho" then ole boy died shortly after it was made.

esquímaux
Nov 10th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Requiem for a Dream (Burstyn was amazing!!)
Casualties of War (damned shame how they did that girl :fiery::fiery::o)
Boys Don't Cry ( :sad: )

cometz9
Nov 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Grave of the Fireflies :sad:

Jovana.
Nov 10th, 2007, 01:47 PM
:help: The Green mile :help:

harloo
Nov 10th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I just recently saw a movie called Blackgirl while surfing channels and that had to be one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen.

Others:
The Color Purple
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Pay It Forward- Just terrible at the end

Hannah-Louise
Nov 10th, 2007, 06:19 PM
BOYS DONT CRY, I just scream n cry n cry

STEPMOM!

Apoleb
Nov 10th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Apocalypto :scared:

You're kidding.:lol:

Geoffry
Nov 10th, 2007, 07:39 PM
The whole 'love is fucked up' atmosphere in Closer got me a tad depressed too. Truth hurts, I guess.

Hayato
Nov 10th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Any of those ridiculous 4 SAW movies that I have somehow ended up seeing. Or Children of Men which was far too depressing for me to like.

Cat123
Nov 10th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Closer was pretty depressing!

LeonHart
Nov 10th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Bambi :sad:

and Schindler's List is one of my top :o

Hannah-Louise
Nov 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Oh yea Closer, makes love soooo depressing and messy. Also provided the title for 2 Panic at the Disco songs...'Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off' 'But its better if we do' CLASSIC!

Stavie
Nov 11th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Requiem for a dream & The Hours

Jovana.
Nov 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Bambi :sad:

that is one depressive s**t...:sad:

Tylane
Nov 11th, 2007, 06:21 PM
After seeing prison break season 3 I guess I can watch every movie. :sad:

Ballbasher
Nov 11th, 2007, 06:31 PM
The good girl that was just so :o

shotgun
Nov 11th, 2007, 08:41 PM
The Last American Virgin - seriously, that film really depressed me when I watched it as a kid. :lol:
The Music of Chance
Philadelphia

NyCPsU
Nov 11th, 2007, 08:47 PM
last of the mohicans is depressing as well as an absolutely amazing movie.

zvonarevarulz
Nov 12th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Gia,Bastard out of carolina.

dybbuk
Nov 12th, 2007, 04:27 AM
I don't really watch depressing movies, but Stepmom upset me. :o So did Deep Blue Sea. :help: I was rather young though, I loved the woman who sacrificed herself at the end. :o

Finding Neverland as well.

samsung101
Nov 15th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Interiors.

Most of Woody's films are about depression or
being down, but, that one....yikes. Beige.
Dull. Depressing.

sfselesfan
Nov 15th, 2007, 05:22 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/80/MariahCarey-Glittercover.jpg/200px-MariahCarey-Glittercover.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/Crossroads_movie.jpg

SF

Shuji Shuriken
Nov 15th, 2007, 06:53 PM
There was this movie. Can't remember the name of it...I was very young when I saw it. About two brothers who were being abused by their father or something. I remember there was a part when the older brother made an airplane out of their red wagon, but only the little brother managed to escape (something like that). That made me cry for days. If I can only remember the name, I would do anything to get a copy of that movie :sobbing: :sobbing:.

Shuji Shuriken
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:02 PM
OH MY GOD...I just remembered the name. Radio Flyer. THAT was seriously the most depressing movie EVER :sobbing:

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 15th, 2007, 10:18 PM
The Virgin Suicides

dybbuk
Nov 15th, 2007, 10:51 PM
The Virgin Suicides

Seconded. I loved that movie, I can't believe I forgot it. :worship:

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 17th, 2007, 03:44 AM
2:37. I watched it last weekend. Shocking movie. Breathtaking performances by very young practically unknown actors (to me at least, since the movie's Australian). Very sad and depressing look on high school life and on today's disturbed youth. Incredibly touching and unforgettable ending that will stay with me for a very long time. It's a must see.

juki
Nov 17th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Ok, after reading this thread I decided to watch Requiem for a Dream since so many people mentioned it. It was the most depressing movie I've ever seen, easily. And also disturbing, for the last ten-fifteen minutes or so I watched the film from the farthest corner of the room and with the sound off. I felt so uncomfortable watching it, so I guess the movie really achieved what they set out to do. Thanks to those who selected the film, truly depressing...

Oh, and the music is fantastic :worship:

willrock
Nov 17th, 2007, 07:41 PM
"Dancer in the dark" with Björk as the main character