PDA

View Full Version : ABC News found to be secretly taping reactions to gays kissing in public

Pureracket
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Source: PageOneQ

ABC is conducting a social experiment gaging the reactions of the general public to displays of affection between members of the same sex.

An actor inside an RV parked in the area confirmed a witness account of ABC's week-long project. According to a police officer, "three or four" had complained about men kissing in public, but nothing illegal is going on. The actor told Fox6 that "Yes, we are working for ABC News."

Read on: http://pageoneq.com/news/2007/ABC_News_secretly_catches... (http://pageoneq.com/news/2007/ABC_News_secretly_catches_reactions_to_men_kissing _in_pub_1104.html)

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Well for me, I'm not comfortable with straight or gay pda's, unless it's like an older couple.

I think this is just a stupid study. I think we all know that the country right now is just tolerant of gays doing what they do in their own homes.
To think the average person would be even close to being that in public, is just unrealistic, another thing you can probably blame Dubya for.

griffin
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM
"Social experiment," my arse. We know most straight people are really squeamish about gay men kissing (if not breathing). This is just sensationalism.

Kart
Nov 5th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Well for me, I'm not comfortable with straight or gay pda's, unless it's like an older couple.

Ditto.

Except I'm probably more tolerant of younger couples because I find them amusing.

Anyone my age or older should really get a room.

Helen Lawson
Nov 5th, 2007, 08:53 PM
If it's two hot guys, I'm totally into it and it turns me on. If it's two "lipstick lesbians" then that's hot, too. Otherwise, barf city. And straight people mashing is a turn-off also.

samsung101
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM
The 'news' division of ABC should not be doing anything that involves 'setting up'
a so called news story.

The subject is irrelevant, they shouldn't be doing anything to stage a story like
this.

But, that's why our 'news' has morphed into entertainment divisions.

20/20 ain't news. It's in the same league as The Price is Right these days.

No better than when NBC blew up cars and presented it as a legitimate road test,
for a news story.

No better than the lame FEMA guy (who should be looking for a new job about now),
with the fake news conference, because he didnt' want to wait 30 minutes for the
real reporters.

Slutiana
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:04 PM

I think this is just a stupid study. I think we all know that the country right now is just tolerant of gays doing what they do in their own homes.
To think the average person would be even close to being that in public, is just unrealistic, another thing you can probably blame Dubya for.

Agreed, although i hope, by older, you don't mean 2 80 yr old men coz thats just scary. :o (its the same with an 80 yr old straight couple as well though :scared: :lol:)

drake3781
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. It is a way to measure and inform about changing societal mores. And this is an area that is undergoing a great amount of change right now.

Scotso
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM
The subject is not irrelevent. :rolleyes:

But the study is unnecessary.

CondiLicious
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:15 PM
No better than when NBC blew up cars and presented it as a legitimate road test,
for a news story.

Yes well, Michele Gillen was responsible for that and she's a talentless hobag. Thank God she got kicked back to local news. Sad for me that she's in South Florida so I'm still kinda subjected to her fugly face every now and then. :sad:

Anyway, I don't like to see anybody kissing in public. Get a room! I don't wanna watch.

Pureracket
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I guess because part of my childhood was in an high crime area that my views on Public Displays of Affection are different.

Because there was oftentimes so much violence there, I started feeling relieved when I saw the complete opposite - people holding hands and people kissing.

In other words, I certainly would rather see the "gross" tongue kissing than to see the complete opposite in public.

Chpstk30
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Why would you study gays? What nakes them any different to any other person, aside from the fact that they prefer someone of the same sex? Is that justification to partake in a study? I think not.

Scotso
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Why would you study gays? What nakes them any different to any other person, aside from the fact that they prefer someone of the same sex? Is that justification to partake in a study? I think not.

I think you need to read the post again.

treufreund
Nov 6th, 2007, 07:48 AM
The utter despair I feel at how rarely I see gay couples being affectionate is a profound disappointment in my life. Internalized homophobia is an incredibly destructive element in the psychology of so many gays and lesbians. Deep down, many of us in the GLBT community still feel fear and shame about ourselves and our way of loving. I cannot tell you how often I see young straight couples in love comfortably showing affection and yet how for so many gay or lesbian couples this act is seen as "gross" or "defiant" or "flaunting". This is, to me, one of the single most important issues facing the GLBT community, for until we can love ourselves then how can we expect society to give us our full rights? Lastly, to those of you who say you are uncomfortable with "PDA" of any sort, whether it be hetero- or homosexual, I ask you if you are being truly honest with us and with yourselves? Or is that just a rationalization? And whether, if you do find any sort of "PDA" unacceptable, then why is that? what is ultimately so offensive or disturbing about two people showing their love or affection? American society and culture are, filled with, and even tend to embrace violent or menacing behaviour and yet you feel that seeing two people kiss is gross? Is this hypocrisy, jealousy? Prudery?

treufreund
Nov 6th, 2007, 07:48 AM
The utter despair I feel at how rarely I see gay couples being affectionate is a profound disappointment in my life. Internalized homophobia is an incredibly destructive element in the psychology of so many gays and lesbians. Deep down, many of us in the GLBT community still feel fear and shame about ourselves and our way of loving. I cannot tell you how often I see young straight couples in love comfortably showing affection and yet how for so many gay or lesbian couples this act is seen as "gross" or "defiant" or "flaunting". This is, to me, one of the single most important issues facing the GLBT community, for until we can love ourselves then how can we expect society to give us our full rights? Lastly, to those of you who say you are uncomfortable with "PDA" of any sort, whether it be hetero- or homosexual, I ask you if you are being truly honest with us and with yourselves? Or is that just a rationalization? And whether, if you do find any sort of "PDA" unacceptable, then why is that? what is ultimately so offensive or disturbing about two people showing their love or affection? American society and culture are, filled with, and even tend to embrace violent or menacing behaviour and yet you feel that seeing two people kiss is gross? Is this hypocrisy, jealousy? Prudery?

Xander
Nov 6th, 2007, 12:23 PM

I agree with you. Sadly, there is still a lot of shame in the GLBT community as well as the need for some of us to receive the approval of straight people. It's disturbing that in this day and age that there are still GLBT people who love to express to heterosexuals how they are "different" from "those stereotypical" GLBT people. We are as a diverse community as straight people so that being said, once we fully accept the fact that some of us are nelly queens, some of us are diesel dykes, some of us are butch gym rats, and the list goes on, then we will truly be free. I didn't mean to offend anyone but that for me is the truth. The mentality within and outside of our community that a GLBT person who for example is "flaming" or "strident" couldn't possibly be a "positive" role model bothers me! Whose standard is that?! We know the answer to that!! If you don't know, then you definitely to work this issue out. I wish you all the best!

Direwolf
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM
who is fund of two STRAIGHT people making out in the
trains, buses, public parks,
while cycling, crossing the street
walking in the streets..

THATS TOTAL CRAP..
a kiss would be ok..
but kissing..
get a room....

Rocketta
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:22 PM
It's only a legit experiment if we can then see the same people's reaction to a straight couple? For me, I have no want or need to see a girl and guy swap spit so my reaction to them wouldn't be too kind but I think my reaction to two guys would be shock, wonder, and a little fear that something bad might happen to them but that would tell you nothing of what I think of homosexuals. :shrug:

Whitehead's Boy
Nov 6th, 2007, 07:08 PM

A lot of people find "pda" unacceptable, because it's a cultural thing. I assume you haven't travelled a lot, otherwise you wouldn't ask those questions. There is nothing so offensive or disturbing about it, just like there is nothing offensive or disturbing with nudity, but I don't want to see people walking around nude. Get it?

As for homosexuality, well sorry but just because society tolerate homosexuality doesn't mean they have to embrace public affection of homosexuals (I'm talking about a long exchange of spit, not merely holding hands or a kiss on the cheek). A lot of people respect the right of others to do whatever they want with their life in private, but they just don't want to have it in their face.

CondiLicious
Nov 6th, 2007, 07:51 PM
I just don't like seeing people kissing and stuff. It's just... ewww. Makes me feel uncomfortable, like I'm some kind of voyeur.

Apoleb
Nov 6th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. It is a way to measure and inform about changing societal mores. And this is an area that is undergoing a great amount of change right now.

Co-sign.

Even though a lot of people don't fancy looking at a straight couple kissing, they would still make a much more extreme reaction when they see a homosexual couple being affectionate, whether in real life or on TV. How many people turn their heads and close their eyes when they see a guy and a girl kissing on TV? Compare that to when they see 2 guys kissing. I think this is largely a learned behavior that stems for the society's general perception of homosexuality. It's definitely something very interesting to look into.

As for homosexuality, well sorry but just because society tolerate homosexuality doesn't mean they have to embrace public affection of homosexuals (I'm talking about a long exchange of spit, not merely holding hands or a kiss on the cheek).

Yeah, because gay rights are only about being tolerated in society and not respected and accepted.

Whitehead's Boy
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I don't see what gay rights have to do with what I said, it's about what is socially acceptable.

But the fact is that heterosexuality is the norm, and homosexuality isn't. People aren't bothered by a straight couple kissing because it's the norm. Homosexuality is outside the norm and people don't HAVE to accept it, and they are entitled to be unconfortable with public display of homosexuality.

sfselesfan
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Here's the irony in this story. I live in San Francisco. There have been times when I've gone shopping (or partying) in "the Castro" which is a predominantly gay area. When I say predominantly I mean basically EVERYONE. Occasionally I see a heterosexual couple walking down the street holding hands. I must say, when I see it, it's kind of shocking. I would never give a dirty look or say something...but it's shocking nonetheless because it seems out of place. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, but it seems out of place. If they were kissing on the sidewalk, I'm sure some people would say something along the lines of "get a room" whereas they might not if it were a gay or lesbian couple.

Just funny to experience the reverse.

SF

Apoleb
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I don't see what gay rights have to do with what I said, it's about what is socially acceptable.

But the fact is that heterosexuality is the norm, and homosexuality isn't. People aren't bothered by a straight couple kissing because it's the norm. Homosexuality is outside the norm and people don't HAVE to accept it, and they are entitled to be unconfortable with public display of homosexuality.

err.. civil rights movements don't stop at changing laws. They are also about changing mentalities and social "norms." I won't go with a hammer trying to force heterosexual people not to express disgust and aversion whenever they publically see a gay couple embracing, but I will certainly try to influence and change society's general attitude towards homosexuality. So yes, this is very much part of the fight for social acceptance and respect.

Whitehead's Boy
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:22 PM
err.. civil rights movements don't stop at changing laws. They are also about changing mentalities and social "norms." I won't go with a hammer trying to force heterosexual people not to express disgust and aversion whenever they publically see a gay couple embracing, but I will certainly try to influence and change society's general attitude towards homosexuality. So yes, this is very much part of the fight for social acceptance and respect.

Okay, but what is the relevance with what I said?

All I am saying is that homosexuality is outside the norm and some people don't want to see it in their face.

Apoleb
Nov 6th, 2007, 09:25 PM
All I am saying is that homosexuality is outside the norm and some people don't want to see it in their face.

Well that's the obvious then. :shrug: It seemed that you were implying that it's not something that needs to be changed.

BK4ever
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:11 AM
I love this thread as I despise people sucking face in public. What I despise most is when folks are in a crowd or in other close quarters and think its ok to be exchanging spit with each other...I swear these people always seem to be standing right next to me.

Now on topic...gay or strraight....swapping spit in public is gross and inappropriate on all fronts...get a damn room or go home.

Sally Struthers
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:56 AM
I just don't like seeing people kissing and stuff. It's just... ewww. Makes me feel uncomfortable, like I'm some kind of voyeur.

I'm with you. Maybe it's the cold ice queen in me but I don't like public displays of affection straight or gay! :o
Call me old fashioned but keep it at home. I don't want to be sitting over my caesar salad in some restaurant while you and your partner reenact the spaghetti eating/smooching scene from Lady and the Tramp in the booth next to me! :fiery:

Scotso
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Okay, but what is the relevance with what I said?

The fact that they don't want to see it doesn't mean that gay people do not have the right to do it.

I think all the straight kissing in public is revolting... but it's not my place to tell them not to do it.

treufreund
Nov 9th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Co-sign.

Even though a lot of people don't fancy looking at a straight couple kissing, they would still make a much more extreme reaction when they see a homosexual couple being affectionate, whether in real life or on TV. How many people turn their heads and close their eyes when they see a guy and a girl kissing on TV? Compare that to when they see 2 guys kissing. I think this is largely a learned behavior that stems for the society's general perception of homosexuality. It's definitely something very interesting to look into.

Yeah, because gay rights are only about being tolerated in society and not respected and accepted.

100% spot on!!!

IceSkaTennisFan
Nov 9th, 2007, 02:51 AM
If straight people get to hug and kiss in public, they should afford gays/lesbians the same option. When's the last time a gay person complained to a cop about straight people kissing or hugging in public?

Tripp
Nov 9th, 2007, 02:52 AM
I've always kissed and held hands with my boyfriends -or even those who didn't get that status- in public and never had any problem whatsoever, except of course people staring.

It's not like if it's any of their bussiness. Besides, I'm very masculine and usually end up with masculine guys, so I almost do it as an educational thing, to show people gays are not all flaming queers.

IceSkaTennisFan
Nov 9th, 2007, 02:56 AM
For all those that say they don't like PDA, what do you think a wedding is? :p

treufreund
Nov 9th, 2007, 02:58 AM
For all those that say they don't like PDA, what do you think a wedding is? :p

Eternal damnation that only straights may suffer :lol:;)

Tripp
Nov 9th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I've always kissed and held hands with my boyfriends -or even those who didn't get that status- in public and never had any problem whatsoever, except of course people staring.

It's not like if it's any of their bussiness. Besides, I'm very masculine and usually end up with masculine guys, so I almost do it as an educational thing, to show people gays are not all flaming queers.

Although of course this is in Buenos Aires. If I'd do that back home, I'd probably end up getting beaten to death.

IceSkaTennisFan
Nov 9th, 2007, 03:03 AM
As for homosexuality, well sorry but just because society tolerate homosexuality doesn't mean they have to embrace public affection of homosexuals (I'm talking about a long exchange of spit, not merely holding hands or a kiss on the cheek). A lot of people respect the right of others to do whatever they want with their life in private, but they just don't want to have it in their face.
There's a difference between allowing something to happen and embracing it. Just like you used the word tolerate - that's all gays want in this context. No one's asking for you to approve of it or like it. Gays just don't want a hard time about it. You don't have to embrace it to allow it to happen, just like you don't have to embrace homosexuality to allow it to happen. BTW, PDA isn't defined by it's duration. Long or short exchange, it's all PDA. If French kissing was all people were getting upset about, then I'd feel a heck of a lot safer when I hold a guy's hand, but we know it's not just about long kisses, so please don't pull that BS.

Xander
Nov 9th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Are you sure you're not confusing acceptance and approval? As a gay person that's all I want really. Straight people do not need to approve of my sexuality but they should accept it. In doing so, they are showing the GLBT community respect. For example, I don't approve of interracial adoption but I accept those that do decide to do that and wish them all the best.