PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Hingis Moments

tennisIlove09
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Let's remember Martina for the brillant player that she was/is.

What are your favorite Martina moments?

My personal favorites were her 1999 and 2000 US Open semi finals against Venus. Both were just epic, classic battles. Probably the best two tennis matches I have ever seen.

Hingis beat Venus in 99 61 46 63 and Venus avenged the loss in 00 with a 46 63 75 win.
Tennis at the highest quality.

What are your favorites?

égalité
Nov 5th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Her 2001 AO QF against Serena. An amazing match on both parts :worship:

And last year, watching her beat Petrova at the YEC made me so happy :D

Dawn Marie
Nov 5th, 2007, 02:07 AM
The 2000 US Open and The 1999 French Open. The 2000 US Open was classic tennis and RG 1999 was a match that showed Hingis go from cocky kid to emotional meltdown. That Meltdown imgo was good for her in the long run.

The Swisscom in 1999 was good. Venus lost to Hingis at the 1999 US Open but came back and beat Hingis a few months later. I still remember that pic of Venus with trophy and Hingis in the back.

What, I will really remember Martina for is her brilliance of the game. Imho she played the game like many people can only wish to do. I will remember her hype with team Williams. Classic fun stuff.

Ok what I will miss the most is the chemistry that I get when I watch her and Venus play. They had a certain spark on the court like no other to date.

Ryan
Nov 5th, 2007, 02:07 AM
There are definitely a lot of moments Id say were my favorites.

The 99 and 00 SF clashes with Venus were among the top. In 1999 I think Martina played the best set of tennis in maybe her entire career (1st set) and both matches were extremely high quality. Her SF win over Seles in 2002 at the AO was really intense stuff - losing a 4-1 third set lead but gutting it out in the end was great. Cant forget her win over Serena the year before, such a good match from both players for the most part. Another favorite moment of mine was watching her play live for the first time against Hantuchova in Montreal last year. It was my first live tennis event, and you appreciate what they do so much more. I think Martina's unique style of play stands out even more live.

Peating Petrova at the YEC was another great moment. Beating Zvonareva at the AO last year was wicked too, there was so much build up to her match and she played really well. Winning AO 02 with Kournikova, they played really well together all the time and beat some great teams there.

Dawn Marie
Nov 5th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I may even miss Martina's mouth. She was haughty. Remember the line " do want to serve or shall I break you". Or something to that effect.

the cat
Nov 5th, 2007, 02:27 AM
My favorite Martina Hingis moment was her celebration after match point in her 1997 Wimbledon final win over Jana Novotna. :) :cool: Martina threw her arms in their air and squealed with pure joy. :bounce:

esquímaux
Nov 5th, 2007, 02:34 AM
99 FO Final where she crossed her ass across the net :haha: See that's what's wrong with the tour today. It lacks feisty, Hingis-like moments :lol:

LeonHart
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:27 AM
I have too many to count...

But watching this video just makes me think how fast her career seems to have went. I'll miss her so much :sad:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q3npE6ZvjqE

LudwigDvorak
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Honestly, the 2006 Tokyo final is my favorite Hingis moment, BUT I don't even mean to say that in a negative light.

For a match she won, definitely the 2001 Australian Open QF, just beautiful tennis, along with the 2000 US Open SF. Although to be fair I haven't seen many of her matches prior to 2006. Out of her 2006 matches I saw (plenty), my favorite was the Tokyo semifinal.

And even though I'm not a big fan, she could make almost any match interesting. Just one of those rare types of players. :worship:

Rosslyn
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:46 AM
http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/501/martina_butt.jpg

tennisbum79
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:58 AM
This is thread is not getting the kind of response it should get, because I think, many tennis fans,
(not Just Hingis fans, not Hingis haters, just tennis fans) would like to see Hingis fight this drug charge
more vigorously than she has show so far.

She is innocent, she should not care how long the fight to clear her name should take.
She should put her all her effort in it and beat it.

Not doing so will do a disservice to her legacy, tennis fans but most importantly Martina Hingis as person.

Billabong
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Both 1999 and 2000 US Open semifinals were absolutely fabulous matches, all-time classics:worship: Her 2001 Australian Open run will always stay memorable, and her victory against Seles in the 2002 AO semifinal was a very emotional moment, a great victory for her. But when she stepped on the Rod Laver Arena at the 2006 Australian Open 1st round against Zvonareva, it was unbelievable. A legend was coming back, and she played sooooo well in that match, it was simply wonderful to watch:D Tennis could still be played with finess, tactics and intelligence. Her victory in Rome was a superb moment, the comeback was already definitely worth it, but she was at the top of her game in Rome. Finally, her victory at Tokyo this year was awesome, a sweet revenge over Ivanovic in the final and her 5th Tokyo PPO title, she was 6th in the world, and was playing great. Afterwards she got injured and never reached that level again unfortunately...

KoOlMaNsEaN
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Actually seeing her play- Martina beating Seles in AO 02
Memory- Her winning 6 aussies in 2 years

hingisGOAT
Nov 5th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Other than the matches that have already been mentioned, her 2000 YEC match with Seles was perfect tennis from start to finish by both players. I also quite enjoyed the fact that, in her comeback, she got the last laugh against Venus :devil:

hingisGOAT
Nov 5th, 2007, 06:28 AM
double post

Hingiswinsthis
Nov 5th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Martina Hingis's around the post one-handed back hand winner vs. V.Williams 1999 USO SF 3rd set!

Hingie
Nov 5th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Can't believe she's gone from the Tour for good. :sad:

In terms of my favourite moments, there are so many, as well as many Hingis traits i'll remember her for:

Brilliant matches such as those mentioned (particularly 02 Oz Open semi vs Serena, 99 US Open semi vs Venus and 06 Tokyo semi vs Sharapova) - brilliant stuff - so many more
Backhand down the line - in her heyday it was such a weapon and she would hit it for a winner even off a deep drive that put her on the defensive - just impeccable timing
Her drop shot - even though it was much better off the backhand, she would just come up with the goods at incredible moments in the match (in the 99 Oz Open final against Mauresmo, she hit it from the baseline and left Amelie standing)
Anticipation - i don't think we'll see another player with such incredible anticipation for quite some time - this is a strong factor as to why she was able to come up with these incredible, memorable shots - she knew where the ball was going and headed there quickly
And this will show my age, but i'll always remember her match against Kournikova at the Oz Open in 98 - in particular one game where she opened with a backhand down the line passing shot, next point forehand down the line passing shot, next point offensive lob off the backhand for a winner... just amazing
And another incredible shot i haven't seen produced since she did it - against Huber in 98 Oz Open semi - Huber threw up a half moon-ball and Martina stepped in, took it at the top of the bounce and whacked it crosscourt off the backhand for a winner - i thought at the time she was lucky with the shot, but she produced it again two points later - such confidence and great timing to pull this off
And lastly, her personality (and at times feistiness) - i honestly don't think she was ever malicious but she certainly knew how to draw in the media - her comment on Venus after the US Open match in 97 when she threw beads across the table, the cat fight with Kournikova before the exhibition match and regardless of what people say i don't think she did anything wrong in 99 at Roland Garros - the umpire was completely incompetent and Martina was simply letting her know it.Will miss you heaps Marti - thanks for the memories. :worship:

petkoan
Nov 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I first saw her - January Australian Open 1999 against Mauresmo. I don't think I will forget it. Many of her losses and wins. She was just great.Thank you for all these years of joy. But no one can dissuade me that she will comeback again. I'm so so sure. I'm waiting. :)

Bacardi
Nov 5th, 2007, 08:36 AM
The last time I saw her play in person, back in the 2001 Family Circle Cup in Charleston when she came back to win against Mauresmo. Unfortunately she went on to lose to J Cap in the finals, but still seeing her and meeting her in person was a thrill and the highlight of my life around that time.

tennismaster8820
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Favorite Hingis moments for me are US Open semifinales against Venus, briliant tennis from both, also she played great when she won Zürich beating Davenport in the final, off course her match against Vera in AO '06.
There are so many of her matches that will always stay in my memory!

CaptnMatt
Nov 5th, 2007, 11:24 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=g0KTBOj6YAQ

The outfit just screams ''Martina Hingis''

God I'll miss her too :sad:

KennyChante4ever
Nov 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Let's remember Martina for the brillant player that she was/is.

What are your favorite Martina moments?

My personal favorites were her 1999 and 2000 US Open semi finals against Venus. Both were just epic, classic battles. Probably the best two tennis matches I have ever seen.

Hingis beat Venus in 99 61 46 63 and Venus avenged the loss in 00 with a 46 63 75 win.
Tennis at the highest quality.

What are your favorites?

Those are my favorites too. :) I loved the rivalry that Hingis had with Venus and Serena. They brought out the best in each other and contrary to what others believe, I think they actually respected each other.

NeeemZ
Nov 5th, 2007, 12:21 PM
The match against Serena stands out for me in the Australian Open. Neither deserved to lose that match at all. Also, 6 straight singles finals for a Grand Slam event in the modern era is quite remarkable.

I really miss the times of the Hingis-Davenport, Hingis-Williams rivalries because they were so hard fought and entertaining at the same time. Rankings really counted for nothing when these women played each other.

tennisIlove09
Nov 5th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Yup, I also miss the "glory" days of the tour. Back in the late 90's, early 2000's when the WTA was at it's best. You had all these players that were mixing it up often and you never really knew who would win between: Hingis, Davenport, Venus, Serena, Seles, Capriati (especially post-2000), Kournikova, Sanchez-Vicario, and then later in the 2001 Henin and Clijsters. It was just a lot of fun to have that many good players. We have a lot of good players now, but the rivalries and excitment is not the same.

The Daviator
Nov 5th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Other than the matches that have already been mentioned, her 2000 YEC match with Seles was perfect tennis from start to finish by both players. I also quite enjoyed the fact that, in her comeback, she got the last laugh against Venus :devil:

That's my favourite too, amazing match.

The Dawntreader
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:22 PM
My favourite Hingis moment was probably her match against sharapova at tokyo. She was just playing flawless tennis and it just confirmed how phenomonal her talent was. It gave her so much peer adolation too i would think, not like she neeeded anymore:lol: There was one backhand played outside the alley which was just:worship:

Her last RG final was great also against Graf. She shed her bratty image that day somewhat. Up until then she was this aloof, arrogant cocksure kid and then by the end of that match she showed her vulnerability. I thought her mother was very supportive in that situation too:) Ironically, even though she was tempestuous as hell in that match, she became incredibly endearing and likeable at the end by the way she broke down at the end and showed how much winning the title would've meant to her.

The tennis world is going to lose one big chunk of charisma now:(