PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Justine Henin Article

carling
Nov 4th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I am not a Henin fan by any means, but even I was moved by her story of reconciliation with her family. It's deep stuff, real stuff. For me to post about Justine, says a lot.

Henin fans, enjoy.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article2801294.ece

plantman
Nov 4th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks......It's so long!:)

jujufreak
Nov 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM
wow, thanks :) !

MH_3571
Nov 4th, 2007, 06:22 PM

serenus_2k8
Nov 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Wow i guess I can see her in a new light. Her tennis is great obviously but without the personality I just cant support the player.

That sure answers some questions :)

thrust
Nov 4th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks!

lightningquick
Nov 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM
thanks.

lol, i know that video about the football game. i posted it in a thread a few weeks ago.

Kampi
Nov 4th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Very nice one.:) Thank you.:wavey:

svetaisthebest
Nov 4th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the article:) .I was never a huge fan of Justine but now it seems like she has a nice personality off court and the reconciliation with her family was so moving:sad: .

miss molly
Nov 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks for this article:hearts:
It shows who she really is. She had so many difficult moments in her life and she always bounced back:hug: .

felipe2004
Nov 4th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks. Great article! ;)

Henin's the best
Nov 4th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks for posting this!

bie
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM
A lovely and very mature person who is also a truly professional tennisplayer, but I knew this al along. Respect! :worship:
Nice article. http://209.85.12.236/4750/155/emo/tienoptien.gif

http://users.pandora.be/bie/biehappie/Justine-bekers01.jpg

Juju4ever
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:53 PM
That really is a great article. Thanks!! :)

mckyle.
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:55 PM
hell naw thats a long article :o

Play_Suspended
Nov 4th, 2007, 09:05 PM
love the article!! have the paper version and will keeping the cut out:worship:

loppy
Nov 5th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Wow, very moving!

DragonFlame
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:03 AM
that really is an amazing article! justine:worship:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:25 AM
That's one looooooonnnnng article... but a nice read :)

Thanks Carling :hug:

carling
Nov 5th, 2007, 05:07 AM
You're welcome, everybody.

Again, I do not care for Henin and there's no way an article is going change that. However, you don't have to like someone to respect them and I'm a strong believer in giving credit when it's due. Justine's family situation was pretty brutal and could have destroyed a lesser person. I have a tremendous amount of respect for how well she's overcome serious adversity in her life.

It's very inspiring to watch people succeed despite the obstacles in their path. This is why I like and respect the Williams sisters. They haven't exactly had easy lives either.

Helaena
Nov 5th, 2007, 05:28 AM
wow, thanks so much...a very long article but a very good read....

:kiss:

dwynn10
Nov 5th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the article:) .I was never a huge fan of Justine but now it seems like she has a nice personality off court and the reconciliation with her family was so moving:sad: .

Yeah, I'm starting to warm up to her again too. I believe people can change and mature over time. I don't want to jump back on the band wagon too quickly here, but if she's indeed evolving into a better sportswoman and a better person , I look forward to being her fan again.

KatChr
Nov 5th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Really nice article...

Talula
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:20 PM
The accompanying photo of Justine in the paper itself was incredible. I hardly recognised her. She look fab.

mc8114
Nov 5th, 2007, 02:21 PM
nice indeed!

lightningquick
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:42 PM
The accompanying photo of Justine in the paper itself was incredible. I hardly recognised her. She look fab.

can u pls pls scan the pic??? thank you. :D

lightningquick
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:57 PM
legally blonde with a giant glass, err, trophy

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo;_ylt=Au6aAlXU_KyISXtesXFg3lM4v7YF?slug=getty-tennis-wta-esp-henin&prov=getty

carling
Nov 5th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to warm up to her again too. I believe people can change and mature over time. I don't want to jump back on the band wagon too quickly here, but if she's indeed evolving into a better sportswoman and a better person , I look forward to being her fan again.

You got it. Sportsmanship is my issue with Justine as well. Were it not for that, I might be inclined to be more of a fan. But she has done some foul things in the past and I'm not completely convinced she's changed quite yet.

mboyle
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:30 AM
You got it. Sportsmanship is my issue with Justine as well. Were it not for that, I might be inclined to be more of a fan. But she has done some foul things in the past and I'm not completely convinced she's changed quite yet.

I don't know of many incidents this year. Every top player has her problems:

Serena doesn't push the limits of the rules. In fact, she obeys them to the extent that she doesn't stop at her chair during the changeover after the first game of each set. She's the only player I know who does that. But she's cocky as all heck and rarely gives credit to opponents.

Maria gives credit to her opponents, but gets coached on court and also uses expressions like "I'm only (insert age)" to avoid taking responsibility for any of her own mistakes or bad play.

Justine has pushed the boundaries of many rules, but she rarely (if ever) says outright "if I play 70% of my ability, I beat everyone."

I mean, I could go on. I think the point here is that tennis players are not commodities. Often, we treat them like brands, as if they were Lacoste or Polo. We say "oh my god I hate Serena" (I say that sometimes, to be sure) or "Maria is so annoying" or "Justine is such a bitch" just like we would say "Ew Lacoste makes me look fat" or "Abercrombie is just for stupid posers." But we have to remember, these athletes are, first and foremost, human beings. They all have flaws, to be sure, but they are still, in their core, mostly good people. Some might say that it doesn't matter if we deny the humanity of Justine or Serena because it's all in good fun or it's sports and that's what we expect, but Hitler justified the slaughter of the Jews, Gays, Roma et. al. by denying their humanity. And even if you protest that this is too extreme a case, if Gunther Parche had taken the time to know Monica Seles and view her as a human being, do you really think he would have dug his knife into her back?

So just be kind with your words. Take the time to remember the human being, not just the athlete, and think how you would feel if someone made your comment about you.

Peace and love:)
Matthew

treufreund
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Thanks for posting the great article!

dwynn10
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:13 AM
So just be kind with your words. Take the time to remember the human being, not just the athlete, and think how you would feel if someone made your comment about you.
Peace and love:)
Matthew

Nice post. My basic philosophy when commenting on players is to focus on their performance and anything related to their tennis. Their private life has little interest for me and I generally couldn't care less what they do or say in private that's unrelated to tennis. However, I will not tiptoe around when making comments with regard to their tennis because it is in the public domain, and, as such, subject to public discourse, be it positive or negative.