PDA

View Full Version : Martina Hingis aims to clear her name!

Billabong
Nov 4th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Finally some good news about Hingis!

Martina Hingis aims to clear name

By Simon Hart

Last Updated: 2:26am GMT 04/11/2007

Martina Hingis, who announced her retirement from tennis last week (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/11/02/sthodg102.xml) because she did "not want to have a fight with anti-doping authorities" following her positive test for cocaine, is continuing to wage a legal battle to clear her name and has hired the London-based lawyer who helped former British athlete Diane Modahl overturn a four-year drugs ban.

Anti-doping officials are astonished by Hingis's decision to go public with the cocaine charge, which arose from a urine sample she gave at this year's Wimbledon, because she is in the middle of a legal process that will culminate in a personal disciplinary hearing by an independent panel in the near future.

Under the rules of the World Anti-Doping Code, any athlete charged with a drugs offence is guaranteed anonymity until he or she is found guilty. Were she to be cleared by the disciplinary panel, her involvement in a doping case would never be known and her reputation would remain intact.
Far from going quietly to avoid a protracted fight with the drug authorities, as she said in her press conference on Thursday, Hingis is continuing with her battle and is being represented by solicitor Tony Morton-Hooper, who worked for Modahl in the mid-Nineties in her battle against a positive test for testosterone.
He also successfully defended British triathlete Spencer Smith, who was cleared of any doping offence after testing positive for the anabolic steroid nandrolone in 1998.
In both cases, Morton-Hooper attacked the "chain of custody" documentation of the urine samples, which ensures that the sealed test tubes can be tracked accurately throughout the testing procedure.

Comments made by Hingis this week, when she strenuously protested her innocence, suggested Morton-Hooper would be using the same defence.
"The attorney and his experts discovered various inconsistencies with the urine sample that was taken during Wimbledon," said Hingis, who won five Grand Slam titles and became the youngest world No 1 at the age of 16.
"He is also convinced that the doping officials mishandled the process and would not be able to prove that the urine that was tested for cocaine actually came from me."
The International Tennis Federation, who are responsible for dope testing at Grand Slam tournaments, are understood to repudiate any claims that their testing procedure is flawed.
Quite why Hingis decided to reveal the doping allegations remains a mystery. One theory is that the news was about to leak. Another is that she is resigned to her fate and was trying to take the sting out of the story with an early denial.
However, retiring may not allow her to escape the shame of a drug suspension. Regardless of whether she is playing, the ITF would still have no choice but to impose a punishment in case she decided to come out of retirement. Cocaine is a performance-enhancing stimulant and carries a two-year ban.

Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/sport/2007/11/04/sthart104.xml

hablo
Nov 4th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Well I'm glad she was convinced into trying to clear her name.

It looked really suspicious when she said that she wasn't going to.

Billabong
Nov 4th, 2007, 03:54 AM
What is weird is that she didn't want to wait until the anti-doping authorities had the official results, she confronted the press by herself before the anti-doping authorities made any announcement. Hingis might be able to clear her name, which would be a victory in itself, but then if she can do that, why did she tell the public, when she could have kept it all anonymous? One might wonder if she just wanted a reason to retire, after all these struggles this year... But that wouldn't be smart huh:lol:

hablo
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:00 AM
She probably did want a reason to retire.

I don't know if she's the first athlete to announce a positive result before the anti-doping authorities though. Is that really uncommon? Anyhow, I think it was better for her to announce it herself before the anti-doping autorities. It's like a "preemptive strike".

DutchieGirl
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Did she actually say she wasn't going to try to clear her name when she retired? I know she said she didn't want a protracted legal battle, but I assumed that was over whether she was going to get a ban from playing tennis, while this is slightly different. I guess in effect, if she does clear her name, then there would be no ban, but I think she meant it a bit differently with this, than with what she said when she retired. Good that she will fight it I guess.

Jeff
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Well I am glad she is fighting it at least.

Dawn Marie
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:03 AM
U gotta be insane if you really think that Hingis was using this cocaine charge as some excuse to retire. Martina wasn't thinking of retiring. All u have to do is read her interviews.

Imho I think Martina is telling the truth. I don't trust these folks who check urine samples. There are many ways that someone can taint a sample.

Billabong
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Did she actually say she wasn't going to try to clear her name when she retired? I know she said she didn't want a protracted legal battle, but I assumed that was over whether she was going to get a ban from playing tennis, while this is slightly different. I guess in effect, if she does clear her name, then there would be no ban, but I think she meant it a bit differently with this, than with what she said when she retired. Good that she will fight it I guess.

Yep, whatever the reason, it would only have good effects on her image, reputation and legacy:).

Xanadu11
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Thank God! Very strange that she came out with it like this. Perhaps she wanted to do it on her own terms or there was about to be a leak to the media. It would have looked horrible.

Does anyone know how long this process takes? The comeback part 3 would just be hilarious. Martina can officially claim the most dramatic career in tennis history :lol:

NeeemZ
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Good to know that Martina will be fighting this case.

Billabong
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Thank God! Very strange that she came out with it like this. Perhaps she wanted to do it on her own terms or there was about to be a leak to the media. It would have looked horrible.

Does anyone know how long this process takes? The comeback part 3 would just be hilarious. Martina can officially claim the most dramatic career in tennis history :lol:

OMG I don't predict a part 3 though, but simply clearing her name would be a huge relief for all of us already;)

Martian Willow
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:26 AM
She came out with it because it was a factor in her decision to retire. She didn't say she wasn't going to fight it, she said she didn't want to fight it while she plays tennis.

I'm glad this has now been clarified. :)

LadyLil
Nov 4th, 2007, 05:36 AM
By retiring she ensured that the ITF could not release the formal results of the drug tests.

southpaw58
Nov 4th, 2007, 05:42 AM
geez a 2 year ban for cocaine. holy crap. well i'm still speechless as to this happening to Martina.

Martian Willow
Nov 4th, 2007, 05:43 AM
By retiring she ensured that the ITF could not release the formal results of the drug tests.

Try reading the whole article, dear.

mdterp01
Nov 4th, 2007, 05:43 AM
:yawn:

Polikarpov
Nov 4th, 2007, 06:22 AM
That's great news!

go hingis
Nov 4th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Great news!

mm1147
Nov 4th, 2007, 09:14 AM
well im glad that she's fighting and im happy for her decision to retire bcoz imho tennis is over for martina

Lucemferre
Nov 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Cocaine is a performance-enhancing stimulant

Ridiculous!

Slutiana
Nov 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM
good news. Fight Martina

Keaka
Nov 4th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Well, that quote from her "not wanting to fight to the doping commitees" was really bad.

Go Hingis :rocker2:

Keaka
Nov 4th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Cocaine is a performance-enhancing stimulant

Ridiculous!

Agree.

Yeah, her performance was enhanced and yet she lost to Granville 64 62... :confused:

CORIA01
Nov 4th, 2007, 11:44 AM
great to know that she will fight!

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:03 PM
At last, she's doing what she was supposed to do :clap:

Rollo
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Not saying she's guilty or innocent, but if she proves the charges are false you hope she sues the hell out of the someone.

pka_liloo
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:07 PM
great! just perfect news!

irinska
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:25 PM
She will be not able to sue them. They will say it was a personal mistake and they will just fire someone. Most of this antidoping companies are pure joke.

pooh14
Nov 4th, 2007, 01:11 PM
no she cannot sue anybody.
cause nobody has accused her yet. she chose to come out herself.
if she didn't, nobody would have brought this news out until proven guilty at the tribunal.

so hingis cannot sue anybody since it was her personal choice of declaring the results even before being proven guilty.

thrust
Nov 4th, 2007, 01:55 PM
She probably did want a reason to retire.

I don't know if she's the first athlete to announce a positive result before the anti-doping authorities though. Is that really uncommon? Anyhow, I think it was better for her to announce it herself before the anti-doping autorities. It's like a "preemptive strike".

I agree. She was going to retire anyway and the cocaine stroy was going to be made public in the near future, therefore, the "Preemptive strike."

Rocketta
Nov 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM
well good for her, really it's the only smart thing to do.

goldenlox
Nov 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Martina has to do some damage control for her image. This is at NYPost.com

http://www.nypost.com/delonas/2007/11/11042007.jpg

Rocketta
Nov 4th, 2007, 02:44 PM
:o :lol: :o

mdterp01
Nov 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM

:lol: :haha:

Lucemferre
Nov 4th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Is that Steffi?

Nicolás89
Nov 4th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Martina :awww: :yeah:

alwayshingis
Nov 4th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Excellent. She will definitely clear her name.

sfselesfan
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Sorry if this has been posted.

http://www.wimbledon.org/tennisnews/article_A20962411194444675A.html

"Martina Hingis will challenge her positive drugs test for cocaine, her manager confirmed on Wednesday.

Hingis retired last week after revealing she tested positive for the substance at this year's Wimbledon, but the five-time grand slam champion denies taking the drug.

Speaking at a press conference last week, the 27-year-old called the accusations "horrendous" and "monstrous", adding that she had "no desire to spend the next seven years fighting doping officials".

However, Hingis' manager Mario Widmer has now revealed that the Swiss star will fight to clear her name.

He told BBC Sport: "She will be fighting this, of course. You can be clear about that. The matter is currently with her lawyers."

Hingis believes there could have been an error in the process that led to her positive test. Other theories include her drink being spiked.

The former world number one, who returned to the WTA tour in 2006 after three years out of the sport, lost in the third round at the All England Club to American Laura Granville."

SF

Billabong
Nov 8th, 2007, 05:04 AM
This article was posted already, along with this one which gives more info on Hingis' will to clear her name;)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/11/04/sthart104.xml

lecciones
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Personally I would loved for her to remain silent until the verdit from the World Anti-doping Council, but I also don't know how she is feeling inside, I bet since she is a celebrity it would be known somehow sometime, I bet she was so pissed she just had to proclaim her innocence. In any case God bless her and I hope for the best for her! She will always be my favourite!

pooh14
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Personally I would loved for her to remain silent until the verdit from the World Anti-doping Council, but I also don't know how she is feeling inside, I bet since she is a celebrity it would be known somehow sometime, I bet she was so pissed she just had to proclaim her innocence. In any case God bless her and I hope for the best for her! She will always be my favourite!

it is quite hard to remain silent cause since she is a high profile player the news is highly likely to get leaked, just like it did in Kuzzie's case. i guess is better just to announce rather then letting it get leaked