PDA

View Full Version : Who will get a reality check in 2008 and fall down the ranks?

St.Sebastian
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Martina Mueller is ranked #52 beating 10 top-100 players in 2007 in 30 tournaments she played. She won two of her last 12 matches. I think she will say goodbye to top-100 next year.

IMPOSSIBLE
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
Obziler ??

Serenidad.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Jankovic and Venus Williams.

Fired
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
Bartoli.

tennis_lover89
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
kuznetsova (just a bit though)

Olórin
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:27 PM
kuznetsova (just a bit though)

Well number two is a very inflated rank for Kuzzy....

I think your girl will drop down a bit after the AO, but I think she'll fight her way back into the top 5 before long :)

MH0861
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:36 PM
Davenport

What a deluded bitch :(

Dexter
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:40 PM

I think your girl will drop down a bit after the AO, but I think she'll fight her way back into the top 5 before long :)Speaking of dropping down after AO, that's what will happen to your fave's ranking as well. :p

juki
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
Bammer, don't see her matching this year :sad:

serenus_2k8
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
lol Davenport has nothing to lose really if she takes her comeback remotely seriously and just does well whenever she plays she wouldnt really need to play all that much..i mean look at how active the Williams sister are and they can hold their own.

As for whoever suggested Venus...she is very consistant and always puts up a good show in Grand Slams when she is focused and is a serious competitor for the title when shes at her best so i wouldnt count on it. Plus she won Wimbeldon this year..its unlikely someone who has won as many titles as her would just suddenly play awful...FOOL!

Derek.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
Jankovic
Chakvetadze
Bartoli

Watching
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
Speaking of dropping down after AO, that's what will happen to your fave's ranking as well. :p

What the champion of 3 out of the last 4 times enter Oz? She will atleast make a deep run - form isn't really applicable for Oz and Serena has her best mental head on there.

After AO/Miami Serena has loads of points she can gain in 2008.

Olórin
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
Speaking of dropping down after AO, that's what will happen to your fave's ranking as well. :p

Really, I didn't realise that's what happened after you defend a Grand Slam :)

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:13 PM
Really, I didn't realise that's what happened after you defend a Grand Slam :)

Serena is not a good example of defending a Slam title. She did it only once before. And we all know she is prone to injuries.

MH0861
Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
lol Davenport has nothing to lose really if she takes her comeback remotely seriously and just does well whenever she plays she wouldnt really need to play all that much..i mean look at how active the Williams sister are and they can hold their own.

As for whoever suggested Venus...she is very consistant and always puts up a good show in Grand Slams when she is focused and is a serious competitor for the title when shes at her best so i wouldnt count on it. Plus she won Wimbeldon this year..its unlikely someone who has won as many titles as her would just suddenly play awful...FOOL!

Look at the avatar and signature. :) Was a joke... ;)

faboozadoo15
Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:19 PM

I think your girl will drop down a bit after the AO, but I think she'll fight her way back into the top 5 before long :)

And Serena's rank after the AO?

Freakan
Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:21 PM
Muller's schedule is too good. She won't leave Top100, even if her record will be 1-30:p

jujufreak
Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:47 PM
I think Chakvetadze will have reached her highest position with that fifth spot... if Venus stays committed and healthy, and girls like Vaidisova and Golovin can play a whole season, they might jump over Anna C and kick her out of the top-10.

she can prove me wrong though, have nothing against her :)

roelc
Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:52 PM
Jankovic
Chakvetadze
Bartoli

I'll go with these 3 too

iPatty
Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:53 PM
I think Jankovic and Ivanovic will fall down in the top ten a little bit, maybe even falling out of it for a little part of the year. They both had breakthrough years and the notorious Sophomore Slump could set in.

PaulHopkins
Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:54 PM
Ivanovic

Wiggly
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Bammer for sure.

iPatty
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Oh, and Hantuchova may fall a little bit. Nothing drastic, probably just into the 13-16 range.

roelc
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:13 AM
+ kuznetsova
I can see safina dropping out of the top-20 too

a lot will depend on how THE OTHERS do:
* the ones who didn't do well this year: mauresmo, petrova, shnyder, (dementieva)
* young ones who were injured for quite a while this year: golovin, vaidisova
* talented new ones: azarenka, paszek, radwanska, szavay, (safarova)

Effy
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Hantuchova
Marion
probably JJ :sad:
Chaky

doni1212
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I bet you can all read my mind, :tape:

Poova
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Why does everyone always say Marion? She has very few points to defend from January-May next year, and in most tournaments she enters she'll be one of the top eight seeds, and in some the top four seeds and has a great chance of gaining points. This will put her in an excellent position for when she has to defend her grass season points. I don't see her falling any lower than the top 20 IMO unless she sucks again at the start of the year like she did this year.

Drake1980
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Jankovic but I hope she proves me wrong, love her!

-sugi-
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Bammer :sad:

miffedmax
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I thought the consensus was that Lena D. was going to drop faster than Myskina and never be heard of again.

cartmancop
Nov 4th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Kuznetsova will go down a little bit, but nothing drastic...

Jankovic is one I see tumbling some next year, lots of points to defend scattered through the year, a little injury or just a patch of poor play would cause some trouble.. kind of a sophomore slump after her great year, the one bonus she has is that she didn't have outstanding slam results as far as a #3 is concerned so there's room to build there.

Sharapova has AO final, which will be tough and then FO Semis to defend, she's already down to # 6, i hadn't noticed that :eek:

danieln1
Nov 4th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Jankovic of course
Anna C
Bartoli
Maybe Ivanovic
Sveta, because Lindsay will be the number 2! :rocker2:

azza
Nov 4th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Bartoli
Vakulenko
Ditty

Expat
Nov 4th, 2007, 01:28 AM
vee and ree
sveta i dont see falling beyond no 4

plantman
Nov 4th, 2007, 01:54 AM
I bet you can all read my mind, :tape:

Let me guess........Serena?

Dementieva Guts
Nov 4th, 2007, 01:48 AM
sharapova and vaidi will be outside the top 100.

Even hingis will be better ranked than these 2 clowns:wavey:

DaMamaJama87
Nov 4th, 2007, 01:58 AM
vee and ree
sveta i dont see falling beyond no 4

Are u serious??? Serena has the fewest tournaments of anyone in the top 20 and Venus has the second fewest. They have so many opportunities to make up extra points next year it's not even funny. Venus didn't even get started until Memphis and then didn't really get into gear until Wimbledon. That's half a year's points she can gain on right there plus the indoor points. Serena basically got shafted on every GS draw after AO and she also missed pretty much the whole clay season and whole hardcourt season. Lots of places to gain next year. Sveta's luck with easy draws has to run out sometime, as should Sharapova's. Both have inflated points in grand slams and with a few unkind draws next year, they can drop off a lot.

Expat
Nov 4th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Are u serious??? Serena has the fewest tournaments of anyone in the top 20 and Venus has the second fewest. They have so many opportunities to make up extra points next year it's not even funny. Venus didn't even get started until Memphis and then didn't really get into gear until Wimbledon. That's half a year's points she can gain on right there plus the indoor points. Serena basically got shafted on every GS draw after AO and she also missed pretty much the whole clay season and whole hardcourt season. Lots of places to gain next year. Sveta's luck with easy draws has to run out sometime, as should Sharapova's. Both have inflated points in grand slams and with a few unkind draws next year, they can drop off a lot.
she sure is not going to defend AO and miami if she cant win more than 2 games in her last sets
and she sucks at the clay court season anyway
i see her gaining points only at wimby/american summer/us open
venus has anaemia and i see her playing a even more limited schedule from now on

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 4th, 2007, 02:23 AM
:o you're just like manatee :o

anyways i see jj and anna....

CJ07
Nov 4th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Henin, Kuznetsova, Jankovic, Chakvetadze, Sharapova, S. Williams

Henin - All things that go up, come down; bound for an injury or just poor form.
Kuznetsova - she only won one title and even that was a bit of luck
Jankovic - Clijsteritis
Chakvetadze - Sophomore Slump
Sharapova - Shoulder won't get any better with 07 OZ points coming off
S. Williams - If history follows, she might as well take the year off until she wins OZ in '09

On the up and up

Ivanovic - the next #1. I'm not sure if it'll be in 2008, but she has the best game.
V. Williams - See Serena, but I think she's realized her limitations. Hence the w/d from Madrid.
Safarova - She's good.
Mauresmo - One last hurrah
Lindsay - She'll likely pull a '05 Pierce

DaMamaJama87
Nov 4th, 2007, 02:39 AM
she sure is not going to defend AO and miami if she cant win more than 2 games in her last sets
and she sucks at the clay court season anyway
i see her gaining points only at wimby/american summer/us open
venus has anaemia and i see her playing a even more limited schedule from now on

So from now on you see Serena and Venus as not contesting for slams and just being injured or sucking most of the year?:rolleyes: Haven't they proved this line of thinking wrong again and again?:tape: :help:

hablo
Nov 4th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Henin, Kuznetsova, Jankovic, Chakvetadze, Sharapova, S. Williams

Henin - All things that go up, come down; bound for an injury or just poor form.
Kuznetsova - she only won one title and even that was a bit of luck
Jankovic - Clijsteritis
Chakvetadze - Sophomore Slump
Sharapova - Shoulder won't get any better with 07 OZ points coming off
S. Williams - If history follows, she might as well take the year off until she wins OZ in '09

On the up and up

Ivanovic - the next #1. I'm not sure if it'll be in 2008, but she has the best game.
V. Williams - See Serena, but I think she's realized her limitations. Hence the w/d from Madrid.
Safarova - She's good.
Mauresmo - One last hurrah
Lindsay - She'll likely pull a '05 Pierce

I especially wish for this to happen. :drool:

Expat
Nov 4th, 2007, 03:01 AM
So from now on you see Serena and Venus as not contesting for slams and just being injured or sucking most of the year?:rolleyes: Haven't they proved this line of thinking wrong again and again?:tape: :help:
winning slams and maintaining rankings are 2 different things
sure winning slams will help improve rankings but at least in the case of venus i see her playing less and less tournaments from now on and given the fact that the rankings favors tournament whores i find it hard that venus will get enough points to maintain current ranking

serena had a extremely good year this year where she managed to play all 4 slams + miami
except for wimby its hard for me to see her improving her mandatory tournos performance next year without aborting the baby

this is my line of reasoning
you dont have to agree with me

AcesHigh
Nov 4th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Down:
Kuznetsova- :( hopefully, she's working on a lot of things because her current form probably won't be good enough for top 5 next year
Hantuchova- she'll drop out of the top 15 I'm guessing
Bartoli- inevitable, but i'm hoping she stays in the top 20
Sharapova(temporarily)
Chakvetadze- she should improve but her horrendous record against the top 10 should bring her down a few slots.

Heading up:
Serena- just too much talent and even if she doesn't defend AO, she can make up in so many other areas
Venus- her form post-Wimbledon is top 5 and she has nothing significant to defend until her semifinal appearance in Charleston and then nothing until Wimbledon.
Davenport- she'll be back in the top 10 in no time
Mauresmo- again, too much talent. Once she's healthy she should be back in top 10 again.

Staying put:
Henin- obvious
Jankovic- her results in '07 are good enough for top 3 and once she avoids Henin and the WS, she'll start making slam semi's/finals
Ivanovic- I can only see her improving although sticking in that 4-6 range.

AcesHigh
Nov 4th, 2007, 03:08 AM
winning slams and maintaining rankings are 2 different things
sure winning slams will help improve rankings but at least in the case of venus i see her playing less and less tournaments from now on and given the fact that the rankings favors tournament whores i find it hard that venus will get enough points to maintain current ranking

Venus has no points to defend at Australia, only one summer hardcourt tourney, a terrible showing at Miami, and only a 3rd round showing at RG. Venus doesn't have to play more to improve her ranking. She should just have better results since not coming of an injury layoff this time and performing well lately.

With Serena, she hasn't played much at all outside the slams.

Tennisstar86
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Kuznetsova will go down a little bit, but nothing drastic...

Jankovic is one I see tumbling some next year, lots of points to defend scattered through the year, a little injury or just a patch of poor play would cause some trouble.. kind of a sophomore slump after her great year, the one bonus she has is that she didn't have outstanding slam results as far as a #3 is concerned so there's room to build there.

Sharapova has AO final, which will be tough and then FO Semis to defend, she's already down to # 6, i hadn't noticed that :eek:

plus shes got her YEC point right? I can easily see Her out of the top 10 come Wimbledon....

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 4th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Marion Bartoli.

Boreas
Nov 4th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Bartoli, Bammer, Mueller, Meusburger, Obziler, Parmentier

Renalicious
Nov 4th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Mauresmo. Mauresmo's rank is still too high considering how she's playing now. Henin set Jankobic too much of a high standard this year and if she has an injury or something, she has a gazillion points to defend, and will fail to.

Medina
Nov 4th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Um, well i honestly think Serena, Injuries or just doesnt really care. other than her..

Jankovic.. I want to see where she ends up with a injury or something, 1 tournament a week is to much ;) :tape:

A'DAM
Nov 4th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Bammer

Russianboy
Nov 4th, 2007, 10:37 AM
jankovic, bartoli and ivanovic after rg and wimbledon

So Disrespectful
Nov 4th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Kuzy
Bammer
Peer(?)
Razzano
Bartoli

Monica_Rules
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Got to say Chakvetadze. i think her at #5 is just too high. Shes a good player yes but #8 at best. I think she'll start falling unless she ends up with easy draws.

justine schnyder
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Mausburger, Sugiyama (:sad:)Bammer :sad:, Bartoli (I know she has almost nothing to defend until the grass court season, but if players like Golovin, Vaidisova, Peer, Patty (hopefully)and others will achieve more then her, they'll have more points than her..)
I'm not sur Kuzzy will remain no.2, if the sisters won't be healthy/won't plat because any other reasons they'er rankings will drop too and I'm not sure Hantuchova will remain a top 10 player

FrenchY52
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Bartoli.. The RG-Wimbledon moment is gonna be funny :lol:

matanuriel
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Defenetly Bartoli! She is gonna fall down the ranking after Wimbledon. And who ever thinks that because she is better ranked at the moment and have nothing to defend in the beggining of the year she will get more points in that period is wrong, Bartoli never did well in that time, there will always be a player who will kick her out in the early stages.
And Hantuchova, She had far better year than she can handle next year.
Golovin will gain lots of points untill the indoor season but then will fall a bit in the ranking.

papru
Nov 4th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Azarenka

njnetswill
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM
It is hard to say with these things. Everyone predicted that Dementieva would plummet out of the top 10 in 2005, unable to defend her two GS finals, but she didn't until this year, and is in a good place to move back into the top 10 again.

moon
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Justine. No way will she play this well two years in a row.
She's the flavor of the month right now, but she will slide a bit in 2008.

OZTENNIS
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:26 PM

Um she did end 2006 ranked No.1 as well

plantman
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM

I don't see it! Besides..... She has all those lucky shots in her arsenal these days. She's not interested in flavor of the month now, she's going for Flavor of the Year! in "08":bounce: :bounce:

serenus_2k8
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Yeh Henin aint just gonna give up and go home shes going to keep up the high level but the Williams sisters are going to be a huge threat to her this year - just u wait :D

plantman
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Yeh Henin aint just gonna give up and go home shes going to keep up the high level but the Williams sisters are going to be a huge threat to her this year - just u wait :D

Hell the years almost over and it hasn't happened yet!:lol:

SelesFan70
Nov 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Bartoli
Ivanovic
Petrova :tape:

Dexter
Nov 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM
She's the flavor of the month right now, but she will slide a bit in 2008.You got me laughing out loud. :haha:

Willam
Nov 4th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Hingis and Sequera :sad:

AcesHigh
Nov 4th, 2007, 10:41 PM
:lol: at Henin as "Flavor of the Month" i do think she will be challenged more and slide a bit in points...not ranking :)

So Disrespectful
Nov 4th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I forgot to include Ivanovic. This will be her best career season.

No Name Face
Nov 4th, 2007, 11:34 PM

She's not that great...she has a good serve, a good forehand (not even in the top tier), weak backhand, and she's not that fast.

Top 5 in patches, but unless she makes some major improvements, that's it.

choi15
Nov 4th, 2007, 11:50 PM

Hell the years almost over and it hasn't happened yet!:lol:

READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD...its states WHO WILL GET A REALITY CHECK IN 2008 - TWO THOUSAND AND EIGHT...it's implied when he says "this yr" hes referring to 2008

Read...think...post:lol:

Olórin
Nov 4th, 2007, 11:55 PM
And Serena's rank after the AO?

Aren't you being a bit specific? :rolleyes:

Ok her rank will be number FOUR!!!! Happy? :)

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 5th, 2007, 12:07 AM
that's so sad :sad: only 4?? such a huge slide

PaulHopkins
Nov 5th, 2007, 12:15 AM
hmmm I can't see Serena sliding

Tamus
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:22 AM
It's funny how many state how few tournaments Serena and Venus have to defend but fail to mention this for Sharapova - or even Henin.

Sam L
Nov 5th, 2007, 05:46 AM
What the champion of 3 out of the last 4 times enter Oz? She will atleast make a deep run - form isn't really applicable for Oz and Serena has her best mental head on there.

After AO/Miami Serena has loads of points she can gain in 2008.

LOL! We have the same avatar. You probably had it before me. :hug: