PDA

View Full Version : Article :Six Things That Don’t Add Up About Martina Hingis’ Cocaine Scandal.

Hashim.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
1. Just because the tests showed evidence of cocaine, it does not mean that Martina Hingis is a cocaine addict.
Remember the whole Greg Rusedski mess a few years ago? Critics all over the world were calling poor Greg a cheat and worse because “evidences” of nandralone were found in his body. He maintained his innocence from the start, and lo and behold, four months later he was cleared of any wrong-doing.

Now, I’m definitely not saying that Hingis received cocaine accidentally from supplements provided to her by the Tour, but it does remind us to make sure that the allegations are 100% correct, before labeling someone as a cheat or a doper. Hingis and her legal staff are maintaining that there are “various inconsistencies” with the samples referenced, so it will be interesting to see what facts come to light in the next few months or years.

2. In typical Hingis fashion, she broke the news on her own terms.
Not only did this spare us the “Oh, I’m not guilty, but I accidentally drank tainted gatorade routine”, but it does lend credibility to her claims of innocence. Like one of On the Baseline’s commenters (pov) said on a previous post, Hingis made the choice to go public.

3. What in the world is going on between the ITF, the WTA Tour, and the Anti-Doping program?
This looks like the classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing, making this more of a media firestorm than it should be. Larry Scott’s statement yesterday was supposed to be damage control, but it fanned only the flames.

I love this part: “The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour has not received any official information regarding the positive doping test result referred to by Martina Hingis in her press conference today. . .”

Call me crazy, but I would have thought that the first people to hear about this situation after Hingis would have been the Tour. Hingis’ agent, Mario Widmer, has said that Martina found out about the test in mid-September, making it possible that she even competed on the Tour after the investigation found evidence of doping.

4. Why isn’t Martina planning on fighting the allegations?
Martina Hingis was never a person to shy away from picking a fight when it came to her words, but now, it looks as if she just wants to pack her bags and return home in peace. Will she fight the charges or just hope that in a few months time, she’ll be yesterday’s news? The Martina that nearly started the tennis equivalent of WWIII over her comments about the Williams sisters or Amelie Mauresmo was uncharacteristically subdued and tamed yesterday.

5. Why should this threaten her Hall of Fame status?
A week ago, I would have said that Martina Hingis would be the easiest nominee into the HOF since Steffi Graf. Who would dare to resist voting in a fifteen-time Grand Slam champion, with number one credentials in singles and doubles? But now, people have started weighing Hingis’ record in one hand and these allegations in the other. Frankly, this should have no influence on her entry. If she did use cocaine, it was around the time-frame of Wimbledon 2007 - a decade removed from her glory days at the top of the world.

6. The mainstream media holds tennis to a different standard than other sports.
Five minutes after news of Hingis’ press conference broke, I visited MSNBC.com and was floored to see an image of Martina not only on the front page, but right at the top of the content. Ordinarily, when it comes to good news, an American would have to win Roland Garros while playing with a broken leg to see herself so prominently in a non-sport media outlet.

Folks, I’m not trying to diminish or justify Hingis’ use of cocaine, but is this really worth the firestorm that has ensued? Drug use is wrong, despite your status as a millionaire tennis queen or just an average Joe on the street. But, when it comes to tennis, the majority of the time when the sport makes big headlines it is because something is wrong. Take the WTA Tour’s recent match-fixing “scandal” as an example. Most average tennis fans had not even heard of Tatiana Poutchek or Mariya Koryttseva, but the whole world heard about it when the media screamed foul play across the headlines.

From the looks of things now, you would have thought Hingis was running an underground animal fighting cartel from her Swiss backyard or paid somebody to whack Venus or Serena in the shins so she could win Wimbledon.

http://www.onthebaseline.com/2007/11/02/six-things-that-dont-add-up-about-martina-hingis-cocaine-scandal/#more-2430

Zauber
Nov 3rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
you are making this way to complicated.
Its simple traces of cocaine were found in her sample.
Where did it come from?
The party girl she is, she took some at the last party before the test.
simple.
Did it help her in her athletic performances? Definitely not
Did she feel she had a better time because of it at a party? evidently yes.

Its just very similar to the case with Jenifer Capriati when she was going to parties and smoking good old Marjuana (great spellig)

chuvack
Nov 3rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
Hingis is just screwed, her press conference tactic was a disaster.

Britney can always put out another album, Robert Downey Jr. can make another movie to redeem themself. But what can Hingis do? Unless she somehow proves she is clean (in the face of a failed test not likely), she is going to be stuck with the label of "party girl coke sniffer" forever.