PDA

View Full Version : Does the YEC seem less important now?

*JR*
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:06 AM
With the shocker about Marti?

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:09 AM
not to me...

The Daviator
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:10 AM
What we need is Jelena Dokic win a 10k qualifying match, and the whole Martina controversy will be forgotten about.

Poova
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:11 AM
Well the YEC draw will be made tomorrow I think. Will probably take some attention away from Martina especially if it's another USO-type draw. :lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:11 AM
:eek: lol

AcesHigh
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:18 AM
I think we'll only know the importance of YEC after it's over. If it's another yawner and Justine doesnt' drop a set with Sharapova, Serena and others underperforming once again, I think it will be somewhat insignificant.

However, if Dani pulls the upset and wins the entire thing or something like that, I think we'll forget about Martina for a bit.

austennis
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:18 AM
no... but its taken some of the attention away from it.. will b interesting to hear the players comments..and im looking forward to see how ana, jelena,dani play

pooh14
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:25 AM
it definitely takes some attention away. i mean it is extremely rare you are a high profile player accused of drug allegation in tennis.

terjw
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:43 AM
Not to me. Jelena is playing in the YEC after I've had to wait soooo long - two whole weeks. I'm looking forward to it.

Denise4925
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:46 AM
No, I'm looking forward to it with baited breath.

hurricanejeanne
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:04 AM
I'm curious to hear what the other top players will say about it, along with whether or not the commentators will discuss it at all. It's going to feel sort of awkward for me.

Hopefully, if there are some good matches a few upsets and Justine doesn't totally blow the competition away it'll balance things out.

Billabong
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:18 AM
It has clearly stole the spotlight at the moment, but hopefully we'll move on quickly and start thinking about the current tournaments again:)

RJWCapriati
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:36 AM
Yes to me it does

supergrunt
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:39 AM
You're just saying that cause you already know Serena's gonna win. :rolls:

*JR*
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Imagine if the story had come out a week later, during the YEC. (I presume the tour would rather if it had been a couple of weeks afterwards). I presume that sports (especially tennis) magazines around the world will probably have Marti's face on the cover during the event. Not exactly a marketer's dream.

tennis_lover89
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
What we need is Jelena Dokic win a 10k qualifying match, and the whole Martina controversy will be forgotten about.:fiery:

NeeemZ
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
Well the YEC draw will be made tomorrow I think. Will probably take some attention away from Martina especially if it's another USO-type draw. :lol:

Ironic you say that. Justine, Serena and Jelena in the same side as the previous three grand slams. Kuznetsova and Masha again in the same half since RG.

Slutiana
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
definatly, and its not like the martina thing is gonna die down anytime soon - we're still waiting for the people who actually accused her to speak up...

Olórin
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
With the shocker about Marti?

It's definitely not the primary focus of the tennis world, which it would have been otherwise.

A lot of the players will be asked what they think of Martina re: drugs and her retiring.

Vlad Tepes
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
No, the two things have nothing to do with each other. Of course Martina gets a lot of attention these days, but that doesn't make me lose one bit of interest in the YEC :shrug:

NeeemZ
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
I think the timing could have been a bit better on Martina's part. I don't think it would've hurt to have come out about it after the YEC, unless the outsourcing drug agency were planning on revealing the results beforehand.

LDF
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:22 PM
No, it's just as important as it was before the Hingis revelations :shrug:

maddogz48
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:39 PM
Hell No!! The tennis world does not revolve around Coke Head Hingis. It is not as if Hingis was in the top 10 or due take part in the YEC's when she made the announcement.

The YEC are just as important as ever.

mykarma
Nov 3rd, 2007, 05:07 PM
Hell No!! The tennis world does not revolve around Coke Head Hingis. It is not as if Hingis was in the top 10 or due take part in the YEC's when she made the announcement.

The YEC are just as important as ever.
:tape:

PaulHopkins
Nov 3rd, 2007, 09:59 PM
No way! Hingis was insignificant anyway!

Drake1980
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
no:shrug: