PDA

View Full Version : Carillo Doubts Hingis Has Serious Drug Problem

Marcell
Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
Carillo Doubts Hingis Has Serious Drug Problem

NEW YORK (CBS/AP) ― Tennis commentator Mary Carillo doesn't rule out the possibility that Martina Hingis used cocaine, but is more concerned with the way drug testing is conducted in professional tennis – and the void that Hingis' absence will leave in the women's game. Hingis retired yesterday after revealing she had tested positive for cocaine.

"Is it possible Hingis used cocaine around the time of Wimbledon? Yes, though I'd be very, very surprised to learn that she's got a serious drug problem," Carillo told CBS in an email.

"I certainly do not consider cocaine to be a performance-enhancing drug," she went on. "The tragedy of Vitas Gerulaitis' career will never leave me," Carillos said, referring to the late American star, who struggled with a drug problem.

Martina Hingis said Thursday that she tested positive at Wimbledon. She then proclaimed her innocence and retired from tennis for a second time.

It was a swift and stunning end to a career highlighted by five Grand Slam singles titles and a rise to the top of the rankings at 16, the youngest No. 1 ever.

Her voice breaking, her eyes moist, Hingis read from a prepared statement at a news conference in Switzerland, then departed without taking questions.

"I find this accusation so horrendous, so monstrous," the 27-year-old Hingis' statement said, "that I have decided to confront it head-on by talking to the press."

What she decided not to do is fight the doping case, saying it could drag on for too long.

"I am frustrated and angry. I believe that I am absolutely, 100 percent innocent," read Hingis' statement, released by her management.

It concluded with the vow: "I have never taken drugs."

"It's a terrible pity that Hingis is leaving the sport under a cloud of suspicion," Carillo said. "It doesn't help her case or her cause to walk away now, especially because she so fervently denies any wrongdoing.

"The most frustrating thing about drug testing in my sport is how long it takes to get results, to hold tribunals, to finally hear about these things. All this happened four months ago."

Hingis tested positive June 29, the day she was upset in straight sets by Laura Granville of the United States in the third round at Wimbledon. That was her first tournament after missing 11/2 months with hip and back injuries.

"I just didn't want to miss Wimbledon," Hingis said at the time. "Probably at the end of the day, it wasn't, like, the smartest thing."

Although doping charges usually are announced by a sports league or event, athletes first are told if a sample tests positive. A second, backup sample then is tested. Mario Widmer, Hingis' manager, said she learned of the first positive test result in mid-September and the second two or three weeks later.

Hingis said she hired an attorney who found "various inconsistencies" with the urine sample from Wimbledon.

"He is also convinced that the doping officials mishandled the process and would not be able to prove that the urine that was tested for cocaine actually came from me," she said.

Hingis' game lacked the raw power of some of the game's big hitters, but her creative, clever style of play made her one of the most entertaining women on the court.

"The very worst part of all this is that one of the very few truly interesting, intelligent match players of the new millennium is retiring," Carillo said. "No one plays like Hingis – no one else could."

hingis44
Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
a good interview, it can be positive for martina/I want see you in a court in 2008:rolleyes:

petkoan
Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
haha... she is just speeking too many things on one place...she will be the last person on Earth who will be aware of Hingis's "drug problem" ....it is horrendous, so monstrous..

Say HONESTLY..... Do see Martina Hingis as a coca user ?

chuvack
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
the real question is, does Mary Carillo do a couple of lines before her telecasts to get herself juiced up. Cocaine may not be a performance enhancer for players, but it definitely would be considered so for commentators...

southpaw58
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
it so very unfortunate for martina to leave like this. i'd want to see her return as well in 2008, but i'm not too sure it will happen. She's such a fantastic player she just hit a bump in the road this year with her hip injury. It's hard and i know being a WS fan their bouts with injuries. I'd wanna say just try and heal and get better but i can't comment on how martina feels, it's been a hard year for her though think also her engagement to stepanek that was called off. I hope she's innocent for her own well being. Good luck in the future, if this is the last time we really see you in the tennis eye as a tennis player.

Lindsayfan32
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
I read Martina's statement and to me if she is innocent as she say she is then she would fight the charge. I personally think by not fighting the charge it's admission of guilt. I'm not saying she retired because of it she had an injury riddled year and the results were by her standards not that great. But there is something more to this than meets the eye that we're not being told about. I do agree with Mary Carllio on one thing she said I doubt Martina has a serious drug problem and it hard to imagine she did it in the first place as she's the last person you would expect to do it.

DaMamaJama87
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
the real question is, does Mary Carillo do a couple of lines before her telecasts to get herself juiced up. Cocaine may not be a performance enhancer for players, but it definitely would be considered so for commentators...
Word. Some of the things she says sometimes you have to wonder if she's been lighting up some before coming on the air:tape:

Then again Maria or Hingis could murder a man right in front of her eyes and she'd tell the judge that it was in self defense. What else could we have expected her to say :wavey:

Martian Willow
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:13 PM
In other news, Enberg Doubts The Moon Is Made Of Cheese.

Martian Willow
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:14 PM
"Earth Probably Not Flat" Suggests McEnroe.

Vlover
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
Poor Carillo, she put her trust in everyone possible in order to put a stop to the success of certain players and non worked the way she hoped.:tape: Take that Mary, I hope you feel like shit!:p

The 2007 Wimbledon Champion is looking forward to graduation and the launching of Eleven!: What a great role model!:hearts:

Martian Willow
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:19 PM
Poor Carillo, she put her trust in everyone possible in order to put a stop to the success of certain players and non worked the way she hoped.:tape: Take that Mary, I hope you feel like shit!:p

The 2007 Wimbledon Champion is looking forward to graduation and the launching of Eleven!: What a great role model!:hearts:

Not for you, obviously.

chuvack
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:21 PM

I wouldnt assume that Venus is 100 percent clean either, maybe she took some EPO blood boosters for her anemia at Wimbledon, it wouldnt surprise me in any case if that was announced.

DaMamaJama87
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
I wouldnt assume that Venus is 100 percent clean either, maybe she took some EPO blood boosters for her anemia at Wimbledon, it wouldnt surprise me in any case if that was announced.

Why? EPO is an illegal substance that would have shown up in drug tests at Wimbledon. And we know drug tests took place at Wimbledon :tape:. And if it worked so well the first time, why didn't she take more at the US Open? Your theory needs :help:

chuvack
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:41 PM
Why? EPO is an illegal substance that would have shown up in drug tests at Wimbledon. And we know drug tests took place at Wimbledon :tape:. And if it worked so well the first time, why didn't she take more at the US Open? Your theory needs :help:

Is EPO banned in tennis? I just think that with Venus having problems of fatigue that is supposedly coming from anemia, she might have been taking something for it. And even if it was not a banned substance, in my view taking any kind of blood boosters would be unethical. This is just hyporthetical, but I don't have too much confidence that any top players are 100 percent clean, maybe they are 80-90 percent clean, but probably cutting a few corners...

DaMamaJama87
Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:10 PM
Is EPO banned in tennis? I just think that with Venus having problems of fatigue that is supposedly coming from anemia, she might have been taking something for it. And even if it was not a banned substance, in my view taking any kind of blood boosters would be unethical. This is just hyporthetical, but I don't have too much confidence that any top players are 100 percent clean, maybe they are 80-90 percent clean, but probably cutting a few corners...

That is just flat kooky. You assume all tennis players dope so Venus is guilty by association. Great work. By the by, EPO is banned and tested for and anemia medication like iron pills are not unethical to take, they're easily available without a prescription and can be taken by anyone. :kiss:

SV_Fan
Nov 3rd, 2007, 12:54 AM
Let's clear somethings.

1. EPO takes a full 3-5 days to get out of your system. So Vee would have gotten caught. And I know a ton about Track and EPO what is does is boost your stamina because it's used by alot of distance runners.

2. Vee is taking something to control and help her anemia, and she would have to present the prescription drug to the WTA drug ppl and they would have to study it to make sure it wouldn't give her an edge of the competion.

3. When your anemic like me you are given iron supplements, fiber supplements, and others that are high in potassium, magnesium, etc.

Denise4925
Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:00 AM

Why would you even bring Vee into it? Weren't there 30 other players at Wimbledon you could have mentioned as an example of your "theory"?

OsloErik
Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:11 AM
Why would you even bring Vee into it? Weren't there 30 other players at Wimbledon you could have mentioned as an example of your "theory"?

I'm pretty sure "Vlover" was the one who first mentioned Venus, in a smug and obnoxious way, and "chuvack" (who is a piece of work, if what I've read today is any indication) was simply retaliating in a stupid fashion.

So he didn't technically bring Venus up. He just took it there.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:27 AM
[B]would not be able to prove that the urine that was tested for cocaine actually came from me," she said.

So they mishandled the first and the second samples? I guess if they were taken at the same time, its possible. But if it was on different occasions, well that would be quite the coincidence.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:29 AM
Let's clear somethings.

3. When your anemic like me you are given iron supplements, fiber supplements, and others that are high in potassium, magnesium, etc.

I was given iron supplements.

Vlover
Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:50 PM

Your assumption is irrelevant in the light of FACTS. You are entitled to make assumptions and opinions but you are not entitiled to your own facts.

The present FACTS are:
The 2007 Wimbledon Champion was drug tested (considering she spoke up about unequal pay most likely every round) and no drug allegations were leved against her. While Hingis was tested and found positive for cocain.

You Hingis fans (couldn't have happen to "nicer" bunch) are welcome to spin and justify this any way you wish but without fabricating things about Venus. I do understand the resentment of Venus as she is far more equipped to manage all aspects of her life with relatively more success but each made their own choices and have to suffer the consequencies. Venus doesn't have the early success that Hingis has because she choose her education over tennis at the time and she is happy she did.

I'm indifferent to Hingis and her problems personally but I enjoy taking digs at her fans who hate on Venus constantly.:lol:

Slutiana
Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:12 PM
Carillo is already writing Martina's obituary with barely any information whatsoever. The Anti-doping authorities haven't said anything. The WTA has no clue what going on. Even Martina seems confused. The writer seriously need to stop writing articles until hey get the facts straight from the anti-doping. I still don't buy it that martina ook drugs and the longer the anti-doping authorities leave the WTA and medias hanging, the less credible their claims will be.

Billabong
Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:18 PM
Carillo is already writing Martina's obituary with barely any information whatsoever. The Anti-doping authorities haven't said anything. The WTA has no clue what going on. Even Martina seems confused. The writer seriously need to stop writing articles until hey get the facts straight from the anti-doping. I still don't buy it that martina ook drugs and the longer the anti-doping authorities leave the WTA and medias hanging, the less credible their claims will be.

I agree with this. I would like to hear from the anti-doping authorities, who I guess are supposed to reveal some results soon if these accusations are real.

JustineTime
Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
"I am frustrated and angry. I believe that I am absolutely, 100 percent innocent," read Hingis' statement, released by her management.

:scratch: Ummm...If I were innocent, I don't believe that "believe" is a word I'd employ in declaring so. :tape:

I'm with Carillo: I think Marti may have been partying a little too hardy, but cocaine is one of those drugs that, if you're addicted, just kinda swallows you whole. She wouldn't be able to perform at a high level on a tennis court if her cocaine use was out of control, in my opinion. :shrug:

Marcell
Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:29 PM
Reuters is reporting that the ITF is finally discussing the Martina Hingis retirement case. After ducking the press yesterday, they are now saying that the results of her testing may never be known because Hingis decided to opt-out of the tribunal process:

The London-based ITF is in charge of administering dope tests in tennis and a spokesman explained on Friday that the organisation’s rules prohibited comment on or publication of a positive test until any subsequent appeals had run their course.

Unlike in athletics, where officials release a name as soon A and B samples have been analysed even if the athlete maintains his or her innocence, the ITF publishes details only after a player has been to an anti-doping tribunal and lost the case.If the tribunal finds in the player’s favour then details of the positive tests are never revealed.

Slutiana
Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
martina isnt even fighting it. I can't believe it. Even if shes still retiring she should still clear her name.

Vlover
Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
they are now saying that the results of her testing may never be known because Hingis decided to opt-out of the tribunal process:

Unlike in athletics, where officials release a name as soon A and B samples have been analysed even if the athlete maintains his or her innocence, the ITF publishes details only after a player has been to an anti-doping tribunal and lost the case.If the tribunal finds in the player’s favour then details of the positive tests are never revealed.

This sounds very reasonable to me and the better option if you want to proove your innocence. To opt-out is not the likely choice I would expect from someone who is innocent of drug allegations.;)

Billabong
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
martina isnt even fighting it. I can't believe it. Even if shes still retiring she should still clear her name.

That's what is bugging me in all this affair:( I really hope she fights for it, it's inhuman not to even try:confused:

Olórin
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:28 PM
Well she did hire a lawyer, who found "discrepencies" with the urine sample.

This is all very confusing. And we may never know. But in my mind there is enough "reasonable doubt" at present for Martina to remain presumed innocent until vehemently proven otherwise.

People talk about her fighting the case, but her name is tarnished now even if she manages to prove herself 100% innocent. What I'm most sad about is that she isn't fighting to turn around her tennis career :(

mykarma
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
I agree with this. I would like to hear from the anti-doping authorities, who I guess are supposed to reveal some results soon if these accusations are real.
I don't think Martina would have come out with it if the accusations weren't real. I do find it interesting that she chooses not to fight this though.

mykarma
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
:scratch: Ummm...If I were innocent, I don't believe that "believe" is a word I'd employ in declaring so. :tape:

I'm with Carillo: I think Marti may have been partying a little too hardy, but cocaine is one of those drugs that, if you're addicted, just kinda swallows you whole. She wouldn't be able to perform at a high level on a tennis court if her cocaine use was out of control, in my opinion. :shrug:
I disagree that she couldn't have performed. I have a cousin that's played professional sports and was addicted to coke. He always played at a very high level and was only found out after his jealous ex-girl friend outed him. He told me that he never took the drug before a game, but was always looking for it afterwards.

mykarma
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
Perhaps she can't clear her name.

Hashim.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
:rolleyes:

mykarma
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:31 PM
Well she did hire a lawyer, who found "discrepencies" with the urine sample.

This is all very confusing. And we may never know. But in my mind there is enough "reasonable doubt" at present for Martina to remain presumed innocent until vehemently proven otherwise.

People talk about her fighting the case, but her name is tarnished now even if she manages to prove herself 100% innocent. What I'm most sad about is that she isn't fighting to turn around her tennis career :(
What reasonable doubt are you referring to?

Olórin
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:54 PM
What reasonable doubt are you referring to?

The anti-doping commission haven't even confirmed Martina's admissions yet, there were said discrepancies in the urine samples, allegedly the tests conducted on Martina were handled badly, there is apparently even some doubt, and it can't be confirmed one way or the other whether the sample in question was Martina Hingis'. Error, both human and otherwise have arisen. As I said in the post that you quoted, we can't convict Martina until we are sure she is guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. And I think these discrepancies cast sufficient doubt over the case.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
I think the word "discrepancies" was used by Martina Hingis' attorney, not the testing commission, who has not said a word, as they were not in the phase yet to comment publicly on any findings regarding Hingis. All of this is coming from Hingis, her lawyers, and what she had told the WTA.

I read that a second B test is taken if an A sample comes up positive. What I need to know is when was the B test taken? At the same time as the A test? Someone here on this board wrote that one sample is taken and then split -- but I don't find that the members here are always accurate. So, I'm waiting for that info, or a link to an official site with that info. Its very possible that something tainted the first drug test.

If a second was taken at a different time and turned up positive, then I have to wonder. I also have read that hair test are not always accurate in recent use cases, but more so in long usage cases. I did not read that at the link posted here, but in my own Google search of the news on Hingis.

I could see that if we find out that the machines or testing procedures were not up to snuff, that Martina can prove herself innocent of these charges. But if that were the case, wouldn't the procedures have adversely effected the tests of a lot of players and not just one? We just don't have enough info to indict the testing commission on "discrepancies" or other wrong doing as yet.

As for Martina not fighting the findings because she was "going to retire soon anyway" as a poster wrote on this board -- the HELL with that! If it were me, and I was falsely accused, I'd fight till the end. No way would I allow my career to end under a cloud of suspicion.

Her not taking this further in a court of law or other place as defined by her rights, in and of itself makes me wonder if Martina is lying. And people DOOO lie ("I never had sex with that woman," "I never *knowingly* took performance enhancing drugs," etc). Why tell the truth if found in a bad situation when one can throw doubt with denial!!!

That written, I'm in "let's wait and see" mode with Hingis. Also, I don't believe this indiscretion would effect her getting into the Hall of Fame or any pundits future writings about her career overall. I think this is a temporary blip on her career screen.

But, I do think she's making a huge mistake by not doing everything in her power to fight the accusations in a court or where ever it is her legal right to do so. I have strong feelings about if you're innocent, don't EVER plead guilty. Especially in this circumstance where nothing adverse can happen to her if she does.

mykarma
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:10 PM
The anti-doping commission haven't even confirmed Martina's admissions yet, there were said discrepancies in the urine samples, allegedly the tests conducted on Martina were handled badly, there is apparently even some doubt, and it can't be confirmed one way or the other whether the sample in question was Martina Hingis'. Error, both human and otherwise have arisen. As I said in the post that you quoted, we can't convict Martina until we are sure she is guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. And I think these discrepancies cast sufficient doubt over the case.
Not saying that she's guilty but all of the discrepancies have been made by Martina so where's the reasonable doubt.

Rollo
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:13 PM
Posted by My Karma I disagree that she couldn't have performed. I have a cousin that's played professional sports and was addicted to coke. He always played at a very high level and was only found out after his jealous ex-girl friend outed him. He told me that he never took the drug before a game, but was always looking for it afterwards.

How long was your cousin hooked on coke and playing? I hope he was able to kick it at any rate.

One of Michael Menshaw's books went into druf use on the ATP tour. I know Borg and Vitas Gerulaitus were hooked, but I'm not sure about the timing. Rumors about Borg surfaced only after he retired.

As for Carillo, she's basing her view to a large extent on what she saw happen to Vitas. Mary and Vitas grew up together, and Vitas' sister Ruta was Carillo's best friend on tour.

mykarma
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
How long was your cousin hooked on coke and playing? I hope he was able to kick it at any rate.

One of Michael Menshaw's books went into druf use on the ATP tour. I know Borg and Vitas Gerulaitus were hooked, but I'm not sure about the timing. Rumors about Borg surfaced only after he retired.

As for Carillo, she's basing her view to a large extent on what she saw happen to Vitas. Mary and Vitas grew up together, and Vitas' sister Ruta was Carillo's best friend on tour.
He started using coke in high school. I'm sure that his coaches knew but didn't care as long as he was an asset to the team. Once his ex reported him, they had to do something. I haven't seen him in years so I don't know if he's still using or not.

BTW, it broke our families heart.

Billabong
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
Not saying that she's guilty but all of the discrepancies have been made by Martina so where's the reasonable doubt.

Well it's the only version that we have, what else can we base ourselves on? Nobody except her has heard about this coke thing, the WTA knows absolutely nothing and the anti-doping authorities haven't said anything publicly, nobody knows anything about what's going on... I think we should wait and see, just like the other poster said, before making any judgment, because we don't know any detail yet. This affair is a huge mystery right now, a lot of elements don't make any sense (including the fact that Martina doesn't want to fight to save her image, that REALLY doesn't make sense, let alone the fact that she would have used cocaine among all drugs), hopefully we'll know more soon. Some people say that Martina announced all this herself because the anti-doping authories were going to announce it very soon, but still no word has been said by anyone else, so what can we do except wait?

Olórin
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:54 PM

Well she's gotta defend herself, she can't just roll over. The burden of proof lies with the accusers who have yet to rear their ugly heads :p

gentenaire
Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
Let's clear somethings.

1. EPO takes a full 3-5 days to get out of your system. So Vee would have gotten caught. And I know a ton about Track and EPO what is does is boost your stamina because it's used by alot of distance runners.

Top athletes aren't stupid. They're not going to take EPO during a tournament, but the weeks leading up to an important tournament. If you want to catch athletes for EPO, you have to test them out of competition, something that isn't done in tennis.

That said, I do find the allegations that Venus might be taking EPO simply because she's anemic absolutely ridiculous. There's absolutely nothing to suggest that Venus is more likely than others to take drugs.

mykarma
Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:35 PM
Well she's gotta defend herself, she can't just roll over. The burden of proof lies with the accusers who have yet to rear their ugly heads :p
Where did I imply that she shouldn't defend herself? If she's innocent, she absolutely should defend herself. She's the one that brought this story to the press so how can you blame anyone else or call them names for doing their jobs. They can only go by the results they're given and it's up to her to prove that the results are wrong. She certainly has the money to do it.

What is it about Martina that makes her so above reproach that she couldn't have possibility done coke? Most people that do coke knows that there are antidotes that will get the drug out of their system within 'x' number of days. She could have miscounted and thought the drugs couldn't be detected before entering Wimbledon. I'm not saying that she's innocent or guilty because I don't know, I just find it interesting that she's not fighting to clear her name.

It's only money and she certainly won't miss it.

Rollo
Nov 4th, 2007, 01:09 AM
He started using coke in high school. I'm sure that his coaches knew but didn't care as long as he was an asset to the team. Once his ex reported him, they had to do something. I haven't seen him in years so I don't know if he's still using or not.

BTW, it broke our families heart.

I believe it. There can't be a worse feeling for a parent to se their child suffer like that.

Olórin
Nov 4th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Where did I imply that she shouldn't defend herself? If she's innocent, she absolutely should defend herself. She's the one that brought this story to the press so how can you blame anyone else or call them names for doing their jobs. They can only go by the results they're given and it's up to her to prove that the results are wrong. She certainly has the money to do it.
It's only money and she certainly won't miss it.

First of all "rearing their ugly heads" is a commonly used metaphor/collquialism, and I resent this being demeaned as merely "calling names."

Secondly it is absolutely not on Martina's head to prove herself innocent. How can you say that at all? She has to be proven guilty.
And as yet she has not been adequately done so.

And how precisely have they done their jobs? It sounds like they've royally cocked it up to me.

Finally I don't think Martina's "money" will get her out of this, nor do I think that the attitude of "throwing money at a problem and it will go away," is a good one to have, whether you're rich or not. Martina needs to tackle this head on and in a steady manner. Which she has done imo so far. This isn't over yet. She has been accused, just because her anonymity was protected, the fact she was accused remains, whether we knew of it or not. She has defended herself publically and until the anti-doping authorities clarify things publically, thereby displaying a more convincing case, Hingis is innocent.

mykarma
Nov 4th, 2007, 01:16 AM
[quote]First of all "rearing their ugly heads" is a commonly used metaphor/collquialism, and I resent this being demeaned as merely "calling names."Oh please. Lighten up will you. I could care less whether Martina did coke or not.

Secondly it is absolutely not on Martina's head to prove herself innocent. How can you say that at all? She has to be proven guilty. The drug test says she had cocaine in her system so as far as they are concerned, she's guilty. She has to prove the test wrong not the other way around.

And how precisely have they done their jobs? It sounds like they've royally cocked it up to me. :confused: Do you know something about the case that the rest of us don't know?

Finally I don't think Martina's "money" will get her out of this, nor do I think that the attitude of "throwing money at a problem and it will go away," is a good one to have, whether you're rich or not. Martina needs to tackle this head on and in a steady manner.She's no different than anyone else that's accused of something. It cost money to hire a lawyer.

She has been accused, just because her anonymity was protected, the fact she was accused remains, whether we knew of it or not.And your point is.
She has defended herself publically and until the anti-doping authorities clarify things publically, thereby displaying a more convincing case, Hingis is innocent. A more convincing case from whom? We haven't heard from anyone but Martina. I don't know nor do I care if she has snorted cocaine or not but if you want to believe that she's innocent, that's your choice as it is my choice to wait and see.