PDA

View Full Version : Players' comments on Martina story?

The Last Unicorn
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Hi guys,

do you think that any player will comment on this matter? If so, who would give a comment? What would it be like and would you comment if you were a player? :confused:

mankind
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
And I'm sure players will be asked for quotes - in Madrid definitely. They will all be quite diplomatic I am sure.

My comment would be:

It is not our position to say what she did or didn't do. All I have to say is that I am sorry that her tremendous career had to end in this way. Hopefully people will remember her for her achievements, not for this controversy.

Farina Elia Fan
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
And I'm sure players will be asked for quotes - in Madrid definitely. They will all be quite diplomatic I am sure.

My comment would be:

It is not our position to say what she did or didn't do. All I have to say is that I am sorry that her tremendous career had to end in this way. Hopefully people will remember her for her achievements, not for this controversy.

very diplomatic :p

pooh14
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:25 PM
we have to wait till madrid.
we might hear from lindsay today, that is if the press asks her. lindsay and hingis has mutual admiration for each other.

robredo from atp did give some comments. saying hingis was one of his favourite player and he totally trust hingis.

cartmancop
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Mauresmo: "Karmas a bitch" :lol: no, Amelie is much too nice for that...

itzhak
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Serena: "lucky"

Steffica Greles
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
I think most will side step the question, while some will be very blunt, and say that she was stupid, stupid, stupid, which she was. I think Lindsay Davenport will be fairly unsparing with her comments.

A cheat? Well clearly not. Cocaine is not performance enhancing. But a liar, yes probably. She's obviously got a great deal to hide, judging by her reaction. I don't understand why she didn't just retire (because she was going nowhere anyway), admit to taking cocaine, and then her legacy would not have been smeared with the taint of dishonesty. She could have just said Hands up, I made a mistake and now I'm paying for it.

Taking cocaine is stupid, but hardly 'monstrous'.

As you can see, I'm fairly sure that she did take cocaine. I think most people are coming round to that idea, without a great deal of surprise when they come to think about it.

One last thing, Martina looked SO old yesterday. She looked more like 37, as opposed to 27. What's been going on in her private life?

thrust
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
I think most will side step the question, while some will be very blunt, and say that she was stupid, stupid, stupid, which she was. I think Lindsay Davenport will be fairly unsparing with her comments.

A cheat? Well clearly not. Cocaine is not performance enhancing. But a liar, yes probably. She's obviously got a great deal to hide, judging by her reaction. I don't understand why she didn't just retire (because she was going nowhere anyway), admit to taking cocaine, and then her legacy would not have been smeared with the taint of dishonesty. She could have just said Hands up, I made a mistake and now I'm paying for it.

As you can see, I'm fairly sure that she did take cocaine. I think most people are coming round to that idea, without a great deal of surprise when they come to think about it.

One last thing, Martina looked SO old yesterday. She looked more like 37, as opposed to 27. What's been going on in her private life?

Frustrated nasty people like you love kicking people when they are down. You must be in heaven today!

mankind
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:55 PM

I don't think they'll be blunt. These girls are well-trained, they'll probably give a diplomatic response not dissimilar to the one I posted here, shifting the focus to Hingis' career.

I don't think it's tainted her career at all, maybe her morals/choices, but definitely not her achievements.

Steffica Greles
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Frustrated nasty people like you love kicking people when they are down. You must be in heaven today!

Would you disagree that it's stupid, stupid, stupid to take cocaine when you're a top class athlete?

Look, hundreds and thousands of tennis players take these tests every year. Martina is a bit of a party girl, and if you ask me, there's a lot more going on in her private life than she will tell us (hence my comment about how old she looks). Secondly, she keeps saying 27 is too old to play, which is astonishing. Does she have some illness?

She took cocaine or some banned drug, perhaps medicinal, let's face it; she seemed to hint at the beginning of her statement that she had not realised cocaine was illegal. These tests are not returned positive every day of the week, and there are thousands taken all year round.

If Martina took cocaine, then I think it's a pity because it is not performance enhancing, and it's not the worst thing to have done. Either way, it doesn't tarnish her legacy because she's played rubbish this year, so it can hardly call her results into question, and cocaine is not performance enhancing, so she can't be called a cheat.

A liar she is, otherwise, with her wealth and wherewithal, she would have challenged the decision.

But I do think, judging by Martina's appearance, and belief that she's too old, there's more to this than meets the eye, but she doesn't want it to come out.

Billabong
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:08 PM
Here I have a few, from today's newspapers in Quebec City. Here's the translation (fron French):

Lindsay Davenport: The news are absolutely shocking. I have always liked and respected Martina, as a player and as a friend, and I fully support her. I totally believe what she said. I met her briefly in Beijing a few weeks ago and I don't know if she was already aware of these accusations. She certainly heard a bit about these accusations and decided to tell the medias herself, and that's what you have to do when you know you did nothing wrong. I sincerely believe her because she has always been honest and open about everything.

Stéphanie Dubois: Nothing is proven about these accusations yet, and I can't pronounce myself on this. However, I can say that she has always beeen an excellent tennis player who gave a lot to the sport. In tournaments, we have always said hello to each other, and even though we were not friends, she was always friendly and respectuous with other players. Everybody liked her.

Jill Craybas: I was totally surprised by the news and I guess it was the same thing for everybody. She has been an unbelievable player. Now, she has to defend herself and that kind of process can take very long. It was probably better that she retires in order to give all the time needed to defend herself. One thing is sure: even though she probably took nothing, someone will always doubt.

Vania King: I have always seen her as a role model because I'm not tall and not powerful. Her style was exactly the one I was trying to emulate, she was able to read her opponents at perfection and that's what helped her to reach the top of the game. Everybody in the circuit appreciated her.

Olga Poutchkova: She's a fabulous person. I don't really have any idol, but I remember something very special about her. I was 12 years old and we took a photo together. Many years later, we were playing in the same tournament and she remembered about this photo! I don't think she tookm anything. For me, I took a dozen of tests and everything always went well.

Slutiana
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Here I have a few, from today's newspapers in Quebec City. Here's the translation (fron French):
Olga Poutchkova: She's a fabulous person. I don't really have any idol, but I remember something very special about her. I was 12 years old and we took a photo together. Many years later, we were playing in the same tournament and she remembered about this photo! I don't think she tookm anything. For me, I took a dozen of tests and everything always went well.

Thats nice. :awww:

Billabong
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:18 PM
Lindsay's comments are soo nice:)

Steffica Greles
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:30 PM

Lindsay Davenport: The news are absolutely shocking. I have always liked and respected Martina, as a player and as a friend, and I fully support her. I totally believe what she said. I met her briefly in Beijing a few weeks ago and I don't know if she was already aware of these accusations. She certainly heard a bit about these accusations and decided to tell the medias herself, and that's what you have to do when you know you did nothing wrong. I sincerely believe her because she has always been honest and open about everything.

Stéphanie Dubois: Nothing is proven about these accusations yet, and I can't pronounce myself on this. However, I can say that she has always beeen an excellent tennis player who gave a lot to the sport. In tournaments, we have always said hello to each other, and even though we were not friends, she was always friendly and respectuous with other players. Everybody liked her.

Jill Craybas: I was totally surprised by the news and I guess it was the same thing for everybody. She has been an unbelievable player. Now, she has to defend herself and that kind of process can take very long. It was probably better that she retires in order to give all the time needed to defend herself. One thing is sure: even though she probably took nothing, someone will always doubt.

Vania King: I have always seen her as a role model because I'm not tall and not powerful. Her style was exactly the one I was trying to emulate, she was able to read her opponents at perfection and that's what helped her to reach the top of the game. Everybody in the circuit appreciated her.

I'm afraid this is all called arse covering. They are arse coverers.

The last thing one of them wants is to walk into a dressing room and have to confront a Martina cleared of the accusations. So it's safer to profess doubt, because then they stand to lose nothing. Furthermore, as fellow professionals they are embarrassed, because of the bad press this brings to the women's tour.

I think when they've thought about it a little, their doubts will privately begin to grow.

The Last Unicorn
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:31 PM
Yes, Lindsay is really great. It is interesting how many people think that she did not take drugs.

NeeemZ
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:31 PM
Lindsay's comments are really good! She always has something nice to say, and she says it in the best way possible!

Billabong
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
CROFT BACKS MARTINA
By PA Sport staff

ANNABEL CROFT said last night that Martina Hingis was a model professional — despite her positive test for cocaine at this year’s Wimbledon.
Former British No 1 Croft, insisted: “I’m very shocked to hear this. Of all the people in the tennis world, she is the most professional.”
Croft, 41, now a TV summariser, said: “She looked after herself 100 per cent — she was out for three years and got back into the top 10 very quickly.
“She really likes life away from court and she really enjoyed herself away from the game.
“But her motivation has slipped a bit because when she made her comeback she wanted to win Grand Slam titles.
“This would be a sad way for her to end her career.”
Hingis’ exemplary record over the years was underlined by the bosses of the Women’s Tour.
Their statement added: “Martina is a tremendous champion and a fan favourite the world over.”

Princeza
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:34 PM

:awww: Classy

keirana332
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:36 PM
great words from the other players, glad to see they're standing by Martina. Olga's story about the photo is especially sweet.

Ben.
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
touching comments from the others...especially lindsay :)

MisterMan
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:12 PM
For me, I took a dozen of tests and everything always went well.

gee, thanks Olga :confused:
what the hell ?

Pasta-Na
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
super na: "i cant believe i ate a bagel in AO"

Aaron.
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Lindsay says Got Coke?

Demska
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:23 PM
Who cares what Olga P and Dubois think ? :lol:

Beny
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:30 PM
I so don't like Craybas' comment :o

Pasta-Na
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Who cares what Olga P and Dubois think ? :lol:

is a.bachman one of ur family members? just hate ur photo :fiery:

irinska
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
Players and journalist are supporting her because they know her better than us, it's not surprising it might happen to them too.

friendsita
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:44 PM
to sad for me

njnetswill
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Serena: "I hit way too many unforced errors. She didn't have to do much"

Sesil "I'm pregnant!"

Justine "It will be a tough match, for sure"

Elena D "Eees furst time I ween tournament dis year. I am very hyeppy."

Pasta-Na
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:46 PM

Sesil "I'm pregnant!"

LMAO :haha: :lol: i am laughing in the internet cafe atm :worship:

moby
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:40 PM

The last thing one of them wants is to walk into a dressing room and have to confront a Martina cleared of the accusations. So it's safer to profess doubt, because then they stand to lose nothing. Furthermore, as fellow professionals they are embarrassed, because of the bad press this brings to the women's tour.

I think when they've thought about it a little, their doubts will privately begin to grow.You really are having a field day. :lol:

You were completely wrong about Lindsay though. :)

Ryan
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Steffica Greles is one of the biggest idiots on the board, I can see him (a 400 pound fruitcake of course) wetting himself as he writes, chocolate smeared over his greasy face and hands, bouncing up and down like a school girl. :eek:

bestohb
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:05 PM

:cuckoo:

WRONG :haha: :haha: :haha:

How does that http://www.wildlifesafari.info/images/birds/black_crow.jpg taste? :lick:

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:25 PM

What a bitch! :fiery:

Olórin
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:31 PM

Sesil "I'm pregnant!"

:spit: :rolls:

plantman
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM

How does that http://www.wildlifesafari.info/images/birds/black_crow.jpg taste? :lick:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

plantman
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Steffica Greles is one of the biggest idiots on the board, I can see him (a 400 pound fruitcake of course) wetting himself as he writes, chocolate smeared over his greasy face and hands, bouncing up and down like a school girl. :eek:

:haha: OMG......I'm not sure I should thank you for the visual, or bad rep you for it!:lol: :lol:

Steffica Greles
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:48 PM

LOL, I'd move away from the mirror if I were you...

;)

Steffica Greles
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM

As I said, arse covering. You're too naive to see it.

When more information comes out, which it will, the reasons why Martina has not challenged the accusation will become apparent. Until that time, Hingis will garner support from bemused fellow professionals. Watch them drop as the weeks go by. And Lindsay will sure have something to say then, just as she did the last time Hingis ran away from the tour.

In all likelihood Hingis took cocaine. It's not definite, and she might be innocent, but the likelihood is that she took it. When are these tests wrong?

All I've said is that she's a liar if she has taken it. I don't actually think she's done anything that serious (LOADS of people take it). But she should just be honest about it, because her statement is wholly unconvincing.

bestohb
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
because her statement is wholly unconvincing.

Very similar to your posts! :)

Steffica Greles
Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Very similar to your posts! :)

Well they would be to a lobotomised Hingis fan. :wavey:

bestohb
Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Well they would be to a lobotomised Hingis fan. :wavey:

But I'm not a Hingis fan - I like her, but not a fan as such. So how do you explain that?

ce
Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:36 PM
nice comments

Steffica Greles
Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM
But I'm not a Hingis fan - I like her, but not a fan as such. So how do you explain that?

I'd say you're telling porkies. Big ones.:p

bestohb
Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:49 PM
I'd say you're telling porkies. Big ones.:p

Why? :confused:

thomas.chung
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
When are these tests wrong?

They do get it wrong at times, as others have said, many medicines do simulate the signs of cocaine and these tests can easily produce false positive from such signs. Same thing can go for the testing company and Wimbledon, they should have something ready by now and they should be ready to back their claim up. But so far, no one other than Martina has said anything.

Also, she is innocent until proven guilty.

roelc
Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
patty schnyder: "no, my book is called 'the white mile'. I wrote it with my hubby rainier. 'the white line' is a book from martina"

-sugi-
Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:19 PM
really nice comments from those players, except Craybas :o

itzhak
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
Comments of Henin, Ivanovic and Chakvetadze:

http://www.as.com/tenis/articulo/ivanovic-cocaina-mejora-mucho-juego/dasten/20071102dasdasten_3/Tes

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2007/11/02/tenis/1194032716.html

miffedmax
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
Other possible responses:

"Cocaine? Mommy Vera, what's that?" Elena Dementieva

"I would never fucking touch the stuff, although some of my interviews might make more sense if I was fucking stoned." A. Myskina

"Woo-hoo! Party at my fuckin' place" J Cap

"Serves you right for dumping me as your doubles partner. So nyaaah!" Anna K

"I'm sorry I loaned you my cough syrup." Sveta

"We're just glad it was not a Belgian tennis player. All we can say is that it was not a Belgian tennis player." the Belgian tennis association

pka_liloo
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:12 PM
english translation anyone? please?

hingis44
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
they are not very simpathic with Martina. Poor Martina

petkoan
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:30 PM
translation please :-p

samn
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:31 PM
"I would never fucking touch the stuff, although some of my interviews might make more sense if I was fucking stoned." A. Myskina

:lol: The only way the lovely Myskina's interviews would be even more fun to read - not to mention bizarre - would be if she were stoned.

Ryan
Nov 3rd, 2007, 12:11 AM
LOL, I'd move away from the mirror if I were you...

;)

I've posted pics here before, I'm pretty confident in saying im not a fatty douche that gets his kicks out of athletes being accused of taking drugs. You can go wank off to a picture of Hingis doing a line of blow now, that must complete your perverted fantasies.

Renalicious
Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:21 AM
Olga Poutchkova: She's a fabulous person. I don't really have any idol, but I remember something very special about her. I was 12 years old and we took a photo together. Many years later, we were playing in the same tournament and she remembered about this photo! I don't think she took anything. For me, I took a dozen of tests and everything always went well.

That was so sweet :sad:

Sally Todd
Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:26 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah, SG couldn't have been more wrong about the Davenport remark. Doesn't SG know they've been friends?

People are blowing (pun intended) this so out of proportion. :rolleyes: If Hingis liked a toot or two, fine for her, as long as it wasn't chronic (the habit, not the drug). Was it dumb of her to do while competitive? Yes. Does it make her some horrible criminal or (shudder) not a good role model? No.

She obviously has major rebellion issues with tennis considering she was friggin' named after a top player and groomed for greatness straight out of the crib. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Melanie M. painted Martina's crib to look like a tennis court.

Denise4925
Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:42 AM
Justine: "I didn't have a hand in it!" :angel:

Denise4925
Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:48 AM

"We're just glad it was not a Belgian tennis player. All we can say is that it was not a Belgian tennis player." the Belgian tennis association

:lol: :worship: :worship:

hablo
Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:51 AM

:lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:53 AM

LMAO!!!!!!!!!! bravo denise :worship:

The Daviator
Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:55 AM

LMAO! :haha:

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:56 AM
serena will sing her a remix to Ludacris' song "blow it out ya ..."

or she will sing a line ( :angel: ) from eminem's song lose yourself..."you only get one shot do not miss your chance to blow"

polishprodigy
Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:00 AM
In the Canadian English newspaper the Globe and Mail, Lindsay Davenport's comments were nice, but she said if it was her she would have come out with the results sooner so as to not give rise to so much suspicion of guilt.

*JR*
Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:54 AM
Sesil: "My fault, I thought I gave her my new birth control formula". :help:

spencercarlos
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:11 AM

I think when they've thought about it a little, their doubts will privately begin to grow.
You finally showed your true colors about Hingis with your recent posts.

You must be very pissed that all of those comments were very polite and nice to Martina.

Your cheap shots are not going to work..

PD. Hingis at this point looks younger than both Steffi and Monica at age of 27 again the 37 years old thing is another cheap attempt.

:wavey:

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:40 AM
hahahahaha all players took drugs when they were young ,

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:44 AM
hahahhaaaa mifedmax yes I remember Myskina ( I miss her ) used to say weird things , she once said in tier 3 event , with every win I feel myself closer to winning another slam , hahaha

SelesFan70
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:24 AM
I would say, "I didn't analyze her samples; therefore, I know nothing more than what Miss Hingis has told us. She has the presumption of innocence until proven otherwise. Also, Larry Scott should resign". :wavey:

drake3781
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:27 AM
What's wrong with Craybas' comment? I thought it was fine. :confused:

lecciones
Nov 3rd, 2007, 05:29 AM

Just admit it, you hate her. You must have such a bitter life.

Veritas
Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:41 AM

At the same time, I'm sure there would be a lot of players who will make comments that don't further add insult to an already down and beaten Hingis - whether they believe she's guilty or not.

Slutiana
Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
its not a proper comment but roger:

You've heard about Martina (interupts)..

"I'm not commenting until I speak to her.."

It just shows us how much confusion there is right now. Nobody knows what's happening - not the WTA, Not the top players and probably not even the anti-doping authorities. This whole thing is a shambles. We all probably know more about whats going on than anyone else in the world yet the :confused: smilie is probably the most used since we found out. Im not even gonna bother asking about what im confused about because no one will have an answer.... The Anti-Doping authorities have really fucked this up. You have to wonder how long they were gonna wait before announcing it themselves....

Vlover
Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=spencercarlos;11934472]
Your cheap shots are not going to work..

Hey spencer, how is the other most prominent Venus hater taking this? BTW are you looking forward to the 2007 Wimbledon Champion's launch of eleven and graduation?;) Anyway who would have thought that 10yrs later things have penned out like this. I mean Venus is still winning majors at 27 and Hingis is retiring for a 2nd time at 27 saying she is too old.:confused: Just goes to show tennis is not for the swift but for those who endure to the end.

PS On of the good that can come of this is that your friend along with the other assholes follow her into retirement also.

roelc
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:09 PM
what's next? justine coming on court with 2 huge knockers? daniela having cellulite? serena converting to the islam? sesil being pregnant? (oh right :D)

I don't believe a thing of it
and even if she sniffed some: who cares. it's not that it helped her winning

as a dead french president used to say:
ET ALORS?

mykarma
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Mauresmo: "Karmas a bitch" :lol: no, Amelie is much too nice for that...
:lol::lol::lol:
Martina has said some mean things about other players when she was on top of her game. .

mykarma
Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM

Sonf@
Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:19 PM
Translation from the spanish articles:

Henin: "I don't know what's exactly happened. I found it out through the press so I can't say a lot about it. I don't know what her personal situation is. I must be cautious because I can't tell how much truth there is on this. A new like this is pretty bad to tennis. It doesn't help sports in general neither help all the kids that are starting to play right now"

Ivanovic: "I'm very surprised. I don't think there's ever been a case like this in all tennis history. I don't know wether cocaine helps you play better or not. To be honest, I'd rather not to talk much about this. She's been a great competitor. She's achieved a great professional career and I think this is not the best way to retire"

Chakvetadze: "She says it's not true (about taking cocaine), that she doesn't know what could have happened. She says she's never taken it. It's a very sad way to farewell from tennis. She made a lot for the sport and was the number one player of the world for three years"

Slutiana
Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:31 PM
I don't like the way henin just said that its bad for tennis. Whats bad for tennis? She doesn't have a clue whats going on so how does she know its bad for tennis?

meh.

thrust
Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
I agree.

thrust
Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:47 PM
I don't like the way henin just said that its bad for tennis. Whats bad for tennis? She doesn't have a clue whats going on so how does she know its bad for tennis?

meh.

I think what Justine meant was that, if the allegations are true, it is bad publicity for women^s tennis. It is not horrible or fatal, but it is not good either.

moby
Nov 3rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
I think what Justine meant was that, if the allegations are true, it is bad publicity for women^s tennis. It is not horrible or fatal, but it is not good either.I don't think she's saying that at all.

What she's saying is: whether the allegations are true or false, the very fact that such allegations exists results in bad publicity for women's tennis. Which is basically true.

She's not saying Martina is at fault.

petkoan
Nov 3rd, 2007, 09:02 PM
BTW last month i saw Sesil on the practising courts..and she is playing like monster.. She was in good relations with Martina.

pka_liloo
Nov 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
thanks for the translation. :)

Ryan
Nov 3rd, 2007, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE]

Hey spencer, how is the other most prominent Venus hater taking this? BTW are you looking forward to the 2007 Wimbledon Champion's launch of eleven and graduation?;) Anyway who would have thought that 10yrs later things have penned out like this. I mean Venus is still winning majors at 27 and Hingis is retiring for a 2nd time at 27 saying she is too old.:confused: Just goes to show tennis is not for the swift but for those who endure to the end.

PS On of the good that can come of this is that your friend along with the other assholes follow her into retirement also.

You're such a punk. You barely even existed on this board until this happened, now you're trolling your ass everywhere. No one is getting more of a kick out of this then your sorry self. Are you REALLY that excited that Venus is launching a new clothing line, and graduating from fashion school (so prestigious!)???? If you are then I feel sorry that your life revolves almost entirely around the introduction of clothing. :lol: You're nearly as bad as Steffica Greles - im surprised you didnt cream yourself all over the monitor, so kudos for holding it in long enough to get to a toilet I guess.

Max565
Nov 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM
You're such a punk. You barely even existed on this board until this happened, now you're trolling your ass everywhere. No one is getting more of a kick out of this then your sorry self. Are you REALLY that excited that Venus is launching a new clothing line, and graduating from fashion school (so prestigious!)???? If you are then I feel sorry that your life revolves almost entirely around the introduction of clothing. :lol: You're nearly as bad as Steffica Greles - im surprised you didnt cream yourself all over the monitor, so kudos for holding it in long enough to get to a toilet I guess.

:worship: :worship:

mykarma
Nov 3rd, 2007, 09:53 PM
[quote]

:haha: :haha::haha:

hablo
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:02 PM
its not a proper comment but roger:

You've heard about Martina (interupts)..

"I'm not commenting until I speak to her.."

I like Roger's reaction. I think it's an appropriate response.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:05 PM

Exactly, there was absolutely nothing wrong with what she said.

hingis-seles
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:20 PM

Dude, I can't stop laughing. :haha: :spit:

Genius post, man. :worship:

Sonf@
Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
More comments (because that's what this thread's about :p)

This time from Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario

Link: http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2007/11/03/tenis/1194113920.html

Translation:

"Until the opposite is proven, Hingis is innocent. She's been a real professional, number one in the world, a privileged, because she was able to do what she liked the most since a very young age. She's a great tennis player. We have to wait and see what happens now. We all have passed these tests and the players of the new generation are doing so, so we have to wait"

thrust
Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
I don't think she's saying that at all.

What she's saying is: whether the allegations are true or false, the very fact that such allegations exists results in bad publicity for women's tennis. Which is basically true.

She's not saying Martina is at fault.

Well put, that is what I was trying to imply. You did it better.

RJWCapriati
Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:38 PM
Serena: "lucky"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Slutiana
Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:40 PM
nice comments from sanchez-vicario.

Steffica Greles
Nov 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM
More comments (because that's what this thread's about :p)

This time from Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario

Link: http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2007/11/03/tenis/1194113920.html

Translation:

"We all have passed these tests and the players of the new generation are doing so, so we have to wait"

Exactly. All of them have passed the tests, except Hingis. Go figure?

And she didn't just fail the test once, but twice for good measure. So to the people who say that Hingis is innocent until proven guilty, I think they have missed something. The whole point in a drugs test is to obtain proof: they now have that proof.

What more proof of drug-taking could they possibly ever have, than a twice-failed drugs test?

Hingis might not have taken cocaine; the metabolite which showed up might have come from some medication, or something. But either way, she's not told the full story.

It's quite obvious to any impartial person.

Steffica Greles
Nov 4th, 2007, 10:31 AM

meh.

Exactly. What an abhorrent thing to say. This is clearly good for women's tennis. Everybody wanted the top of women's tennis to be tainted with drug-taking. It's great for its image.

How on earth could Justine say otherwise? :lol:

Slutiana
Nov 4th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Exactly. What an abhorrent thing to say. This is clearly good for women's tennis. Everybody wanted the top of women's tennis to be tainted with drug-taking. It's great for its image.

How on earth could Justine say otherwise? :lol:

Well, i'd say that martina retiring is worse for tennis rather than this. There's not some big scandal involving like 20 players. Its not like the betting scandal, its just one remote incident which doesn't even involve a performance enhancing drug. Whats with all the hating? What has she ever done to you? Martina's innocent and you know it.

Tennisation
Nov 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Venus: "What hurrica..cocaine? Sorry I don't read the newspapers"

CORIA01
Nov 4th, 2007, 11:10 AM
nice words from lindsay

Matt01
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Well, i'd say that martina retiring is worse for tennis rather than this. There's not some big scandal involving like 20 players. Its not like the betting scandal, its just one remote incident which doesn't even involve a performance enhancing drug. Whats with all the hating? What has she ever done to you? Martina's innocent and you know it.

Stop posting crap. :wavey: First, your ridiculous remark about Henin's statement about Hingis, and now this. If you are so sure that Hingis is innocent, why was she tested postive twice? :rolleyes:

Ryan
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Stop posting crap. :wavey: First, your ridiculous remark about Henin's statement about Hingis, and now this. If you are so sure that Hingis is innocent, why was she tested postive twice? :rolleyes:

She hasn't been condemned, or convicted of being guilty, so she is therefore innocent. I hope to God you never have a job in the legal system, your sense of justice is horrible. :o

Billabong
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Indeed. We still have no word from any anti-doping authorities and the WTA doesn't know anything about it, so we still have to wait for more information. Knowing Martina will fight to clear her name is already very positive though:)

Matt01
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:21 PM
She hasn't been condemned, or convicted of being guilty, so she is therefore innocent. I hope to God you never have a job in the legal system, your sense of justice is horrible. :o

My sense of justice is just fine; you completely missed my point. :rolleyes:

Chrissie-fan
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Players are diplomatic about it because (as far as we know at the moment)it's "only" about cocaine which is not a performance enhancing drug, so it doesn't really matter whether she's taken the stuff or not.

Of course one can argue that it's "against the law" (although the suits that implement that law are probably the biggest consumers of that stuff themselves), but so are a lot of things. Who cares as long as she doesn't play better as a result?

Ryan
Nov 4th, 2007, 07:24 PM
My sense of justice is just fine; you completely missed my point. :rolleyes:

No, it obviously isn't. The fact that you cant see it makes it even worse. :lol:

plantman
Nov 4th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Venus: "What hurrica..cocaine? Sorry I don't read the newspapers"

plantman
Nov 4th, 2007, 07:34 PM
BTW last month i saw Sesil on the practising courts..and she is playing like monster.. She was in good relations with Martina.

Sure you did.........Oh! Yea! I spotted Jennifer hitting some balls on the court with Richard Williams the other day while I was on vacation.:lol:

itzhak
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Watch out for Serena comment (from Marca.com):

"Sólo hablo de las jugadoras que están aquí y Martina no compite en este torneo"

Slutiana
Nov 4th, 2007, 09:18 PM
translation?

supergrunt
Nov 4th, 2007, 09:36 PM
translation?

"I only speak about the players here and Martina is not competing in this tournament."

Steffica Greles
Nov 4th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Players are diplomatic about it because (as far as we know at the moment)it's "only" about cocaine which is not a performance enhancing drug, so it doesn't really matter whether she's taken the stuff or not.

Of course one can argue that it's "against the law" (although the suits that implement that law are probably the biggest consumers of that stuff themselves), but so are a lot of things. Who cares as long as she doesn't play better as a result?

Exactly. I don't think cocaine is "monstrous" (although I've never taken it myself and wouldn't recommend it to anyone) so I was a bit surprised that Martina described it as such.

Hingis did NOTretire because of cocaine, or the accusation; even she admitted as such herself. She retired because she was physically unable to play, just as she claimed to be in 2002. In 2004 she claimed she'd need "medical miracles" to return. Lo and behold, 18 months later she was back on the scene, defeating the likes of Sharapova. So I think we can take Hingis' injury claims with a pinch of salt.

In truth, if Hingis had put in the work, she'd probably have managed just about as well as any other top player, like Sharapova, or Venus, Henin, Serena or Davenport, especially if she added some explosive to her game, so that she did not have to run around like Amanda Coetzer. But unlike Henin, for example, Hingis did not make those choices, going way back to the crunch point in 2001, and refused the technical and training changes necessary to complement her undeniable talent. She clutched at delusions of grandeur, as if she had a divine right to be at the top. She returned in 2006 with roughly the same approach. Players found her tricky to begin with, but quickly worked out the formula to defeating her.

She retired because A) She did not have the love of the game to continue, and to overcome the accusations made against her; or, B) Because she knew she was guilty and wanted to make it appear that she quit before inevitable suspension.

Either way, taking cocaine is NOT the worst thing in the world. Many celebrities, and non-celebrities take it. It's rife. That is why I think that she did indeed take it. If so, then she's lied, so I have even less regard for her.

It makes me laugh that all of these so-called Hingis fans find it inconceivable that a rogue like Hingis, not known for being a shrinking violet, took cocaine. I don't think they know their supposed "fave" that well at all. If it was dorks like Graf, Seles, Henin, then maybe, but Hingis taking a common celebrity, high-inducing drug is quite conceivable to me. No, I do not think she did it to cheat, and she probably did not realise it was a banned drug. Or perhaps she did not think it would show up.

So I do not believe her statement.

Ryan
Nov 4th, 2007, 09:49 PM
WTF - you feel your tripe is important enough that youd post almost the exact same thing in two threads? You havent posted about anything but Hingis in a whole week!

Marcell
Nov 4th, 2007, 09:51 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/tennis/sfl-flspevert03nbnov03,0,3965895.story?track=rss

Evert' Not shocked' by Hingis

By Charles Bricker | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
November 3, 2007
BOCA RATON - Chris Evert, one of the handful of icons in American tennis, reacted Friday to the news that former No. 1 Martina Hingis had twice tested positive for cocaine use by saying, "I'm not shocked, but I was very surprised."

"I think Martina in the past has always shown herself to be the consummate professional," Evert said. "But since she came back [from a three-year injury hiatus], I don't know her. I don't know her lifestyle, who she hangs out with.

"You can't believe it, but you can't not believe it.

"You know what, I don't like to make judgments about her," said Evert. "But, how many athletes have gone on and denied and denied and denied steroids and stuff. The truth always comes out."

Hingis, in a news conference Thursday, announced she had tested positive for cocaine, but hotly disputed the results, calling them "monstrous." At the same time, she announced her second retirement from tennis, at 27.

Evert, who is putting on her 18th annual pro-celebrity charity event this weekend at the Delray Beach Tennis Center, made her comments at the Boca Resort and Club, where she was conducting a pro-am with some of her weekend stars, including Mark Philippoussis and Jana Novotna.

Charles Bricker can be reached at cbricker@sun-sentinel.com

Steffica Greles
Nov 4th, 2007, 10:08 PM
WTF - you feel your tripe is important enough that youd post almost the exact same thing in two threads? You havent posted about anything but Hingis in a whole week!

Err, yes Ryan, I'd suggest you read the terms and conditions to the board. WTF? Exactly. I can post whatever I like, within certain boundaries, which you push rather frequently. So there you have it.

:)

The truth is I've been right all along about Hingis, her motivation, her career, everything, and you were WRONG. Although, I never predicted cocaine, much as I criticised her lack of professionalism. It just doesn't seem surprising. Chris Evert is bang on. If Hingis did, no harm to her, it's not the worst thing in the world. Cocaine is not performance-enhancing; nobody's calling her a cheat. But if that's so, then she's a liar.

Ryan
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Err, yes Ryan, I'd suggest you read the terms and conditions to the board. WTF? Exactly. I can post whatever I like, within certain boundaries, which you push rather frequently. So there you have it.

:)

The truth is I've been right all along about Hingis, her motivation, her career, everything, and you were WRONG. Although, I never predicted cocaine, much as I criticised her lack of professionalism. It just doesn't seem surprising. Chris Evert is bang on. If Hingis did, no harm to her, it's not the worst thing in the world. Cocaine is not performance-enhancing; nobody's calling her a cheat. But if that's so, then she's a liar.

First of all, dont pretend you know me, the boundaries I "push", and what I predicted about Hingis' career. Your obvious disdain for her makes everything you say in that respect utterly worthless, because you're jaded and bitter for some strange reason. Yeah, you can post whatever you want. That doesnt mean its important, or even right. And if I think you're being a punk, I'll say something about it. You post shit all the time acting like you're a guru or prophet, and you are really just a lame, lame guy pretending to be superior to other people on a tennis message board.

CaptnMatt
Nov 5th, 2007, 02:28 AM
First of all, dont pretend you know me, the boundaries I "push", and what I predicted about Hingis' career. Your obvious disdain for her makes everything you say in that respect utterly worthless, because you're jaded and bitter for some strange reason. Yeah, you can post whatever you want. That doesnt mean its important, or even right. And if I think you're being a punk, I'll say something about it. You post shit all the time acting like you're a guru or prophet, and you are really just a lame, lame guy pretending to be superior to other people on a tennis message board.

mate! steffica greles has been a loser on this board for ages....don't waste your time arguing with......seriously, he hasn't liked martina for a long time....he criticised her comeback, motivation etc......never even thought she'd make it back as far as she did...

hingis has shown that at her best, she can beat pretty much anyone, and she still can today! At the championships last year, Hingis showed she was capable of top 5 stuff.....things dont change that much within a year (she was no.6 in february this year even!).....she won 2 tier 1 title's in rome and tokyo....and beat Venus, Sharapova, Davenport, Kuznetsova, Petrova, Ivanovic, Dementieva etc. when they were all playing really well.....

No, she's not the No.1 and was never going to be again....I still believe she could have won another slam, particularly on clay or in Aussieland...but the draw would have had to have been right and she would have had to play her best....

Hingis' best chance was at the aussie this year against Kim....she gave Kim that match in the 3rd set....

regardless, steffica greles was always about ''hingis will go backwards''.....i wouldnt waste anymore time...

Hingis was a great player....and still is today when not injured and when motivated. Nobody can argue. No she's not No.1 quality anymore, but she was definitely No.1 quality when at her best.

kittyking
Nov 5th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Martina Navratilova - "Damn I thought her big secret was being lesbian"

Matt01
Nov 5th, 2007, 12:45 PM
No, it obviously isn't. The fact that you cant see it makes it even worse. :lol:

A Hingis-troll. How cute :)

spencercarlos
Nov 6th, 2007, 04:11 AM
[QUOTE]

Funny thing is that by 2001 Venus was just 1 GS away from catching Hingis GS count, and she needed 4 more years to acomplish this and 6 to pass her.
She just go over her this year and hence your comments about GS.

Truth is that Hingis´s game and especially what she has showed since her second half of 2006 is not going to be enough to even think about the second week of a slam, let alone win one.

Still i think she did pretty good in her comeback, getting 2 Tier I wins and beating recent GS champs like Venus, Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Myskina... plus taking players of the caliber of a Henin, Clijsters and Maresmo to three sets and competitive matches just showed that she still had some left in the tank.

pka_liloo
Nov 6th, 2007, 07:56 AM
"You know what, I don't like to make judgments about her," said Evert. "But, how many athletes have gone on and denied and denied and denied steroids and stuff.

don't tell me Evert thinks cocaine is a steroid :tape:

irinska
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evert really sounds stupid with this statement!

only_one_maria
Nov 6th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Aren't we missing a really important point here? Why is it that she tested postive for cocaine a Wimbledon and yet it has taken MONTHS for anything to happen. it does not take months to do the tests and yet the inforamtion was given out. Some kind of attempted cover-up?

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 6th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Myskina to Russian radio "Mayak":

"I was shocked by the news. It's hard to imagine Martina has actually done it. She is a professional, she knows exactly what it takes to win matches and be No.1. And you can't achieve all this by taking drugs. Maybe it's just a mistake?"

justine schnyder
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Liked the Nastya's comment

pooh14
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:06 PM
myskina made a very logical comment and yet members here were telling there is bad blood between both of them.

brodle1
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:50 PM
And she didn't just fail the test once, but twice for good measure. So to the people who say that Hingis is innocent until proven guilty, I think they have missed something. The whole point in a drugs test is to obtain proof: they now have that proof.

What more proof of drug-taking could they possibly ever have, than a twice-failed drugs test?

You clearly know nothing about the law. You are confusing evidence (that has not found admissible at this point) with a finding of guilt - which are two entirely different things. Additionally a sports tribunal is not a court of law like you see on TV and different rules apply (of which I do not claim to know and I'm guessing you don't either).

In a regular court of law - Hingis IS innocent until proven guilty. The drug tests are used intitially to bring the charge and then, if they are found admissible, they would be used as EVIDENCE in a court case against her and not as the yardstick of guilt or innocence. The drug tests in and of themselves do not make someone guilty or innocent - they are just pieces of a much larger legal puzzle.

You put it incorrectly - the whole point in the drug test is not to obtain "proof" - but to allow the authorities to begin an investigation and bring formal charges if they wish. The fact that no formal charges have yet been brought are suspicious to me...but who knows how their time frame works or the process the tribunal must go through before bringing official charges. The additional fact that other sports figures have had drug charges brought much quicker indicates to me that this "proof" is not a iron-clad as the media wants everyone to believe (what a suprise).

To me it indicates one of the following things:
1) there was something wrong with the sample (procedure was not followed or something) and there is reason to believe that it may not stand up in court, or
2) the reporting agencies have something to gain from not reporting this until the end of the season, or
3) the WTA really didn't want this to come out and they too have something to gain from this not coming out until the end of the season