PDA

View Full Version : Statement from Tour CEO re. Martina Hingis

CaptnMatt
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:10 AM
Newsroom
November 1, 2007

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/graphics/space.gifStatement from Tour CEO re. Martina Hingis

The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour has not received any official information regarding the positive doping test result referred to by Martina Hingis in her press conference today, and as a result we are not in a position to comment on the matter.
However, it is important to remember that in the area of anti-doping, all players are presumed innocent until proven otherwise. The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to doping in sport, and fully supports the Tennis Anti-Doping Program. The Tennis Anti-Doping program is both rigorous and comprehensive, and is designed to keep our sport clean.
With respect to her retirement announcement, Martina Hingis is a tremendous champion and a fan favorite the world over. In her most recent comeback, she proved again that she can perform at the very highest levels of the game. Martina will always be respected for not only having achieved the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour world No.1 ranking, her five Grand Slam singles titles, nine Grand Slam women’s doubles titles and two Sony Ericsson Championships titles, but just as much for her incredible touch, on-court intelligence and off-court professionalism.
LARRY SCOTT
CEO, SONY ERICSSON WTA TOUR

Seriously, this is bloody absurd....I have no idea what the hell is going on but Hingis can't really expect that to be enough.....I've always been someone who says 'where there is smoke, there is fire'...

but why on earth would Hingis take drugs now???? Seriously, she's been around FOREVER, and it's the most unlikely thing I've ever heard......

Martina was injured and showed up to Wimbledon with pretty much no practice under her belt....she said she was on painkillers at the time......

I'm seriously not convinced that this stuff is all true?? Larry Scott hasn't even heard anything about it??? there's gotta be more to this than meets the eye.....

tennnisfannn
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:15 AM
Are recreational drugs considered doping, why is larry referring to the word 'doping', could martina have used performance enhancing drugs/

GoDominique
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:16 AM
The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to doping in sport, and fully supports the Tennis Anti-Doping Program. The Tennis Anti-Doping program is both rigorous and comprehensive, and is designed to keep our sport clean.
:haha:

Volcana
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:52 AM
Do I think it's possible that a rich, single 26 year old female used cocaine? Sure. Do I think cocaine enhances athletic performance? No. It alters athletic performance, but on the whole, it degrades athletic performance, it doesn't enhance it.

Maybe Hingis used coke, maybe not. It has no effect on my opinion of her as a tennis players. She's not an all-time great. In fact, she turned out to be only the fourth best player of her generation. But she's certainly a Hall-of-Fame player.

Donny
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:56 AM
Do I think it's possible that a rich, single 26 year old female used cocaine? Sure. Do I think cocaine enhances athletic performance? No. It alters athletic performance, but on the whole, it degrades athletic performance, it doesn't enhance it.

Maybe Hingis used coke, maybe not. It has no effect on my opinion of her as a tennis players. She's not an all-time great. In fact, she turned out to be only the fourth best player of her generation. But she's certainly a Hall-of-Fame player.

Cocaine was used for centuries as a medicinal remedy. It's properties are similar to caffeine in many ways.

Yes, cocaine can mess you up. But it also enhances some of the body's functions. Would you feel the same way if Hingis had, for instance, taken a slight dose of heroine to relieve pain before a match?

plantman
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:00 AM

It's comforting to know that it doesn' t matter what your opinion may be! An all time great is what she'll be known as. I have no doubts!

Billabong
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:08 AM
Indeed. I don't believe for a second she took drugs, but let's say for one moment she really took coke once at Wimbledon, right in the middle of a period where she was injured and had no good success at all, it doesn't change the fact that she did win 43 singles titles and 37 doubles titles including 5 GS singles and 9 GS doubles, has been #1 for 4 years and has been a dominant star of the game in the late 1990s-early 2000s. She is a champion, and was still among the very best before her hip injury, all that being CLEAN. People have to remember her as a great champion, as an awesome prodigy of tennis:).

darrinbaker00
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:31 AM
The men are fixing matches, the women are taking cocaine..... tennis is starting to make cycling look good. ;)

SelesFan70
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:32 AM
Larry Scott is obviously high on something. He's a dull tool. Resign, Larry Scott! You have made a mess of the WTA Tour. :fiery:

SelesFan70
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:33 AM
The men are fixing matches, the women are taking cocaine..... tennis is starting to make cycling look good. ;)

You forgot "allegedly". :tape:

hingisGOAT
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:35 AM

Just because controversy is in the air doesn't mean I won't notice your trolling digs at Hingis :rolleyes:. Hingis owns Venus in every concievable statistical category except one less Slam. Hingis is the third best of her generation, if I even consider JHH part of Hingis' generation :wavey:

darrinbaker00
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:51 AM
You forgot "allegedly". :tape:
Let 'em all sue me. One hundred percent of nothing is nothing. ;)

chuvack
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:55 AM
I wonder what Liar Larry will have to say for himself if his sweetheart Maria Sharapova comes up positive. I bet his ass will be out of town and his mobile phone will be on voicemail if that happens

*Jean*
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:58 AM
Cocaine is not a doping product, but it's just FORBIDDEN to take cocaine :o

Xanadu11
Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:01 AM
Interesting they say they have no 'official' information meaning they know stuff they just aren't willing to say anything at this point. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of days.

go hingis
Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
Martina can't say much but what's with the WTA. They are never there for the players or for the fans, oh unless it's to cash in on them.

Serenita
Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:35 AM

Maybe that's why she was playing such crappy tennis lately!

frontier
Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Just because controversy is in the air doesn't mean I won't notice your trolling digs at Hingis :rolleyes:. Hingis owns Venus in every concievable statistical category except one less Slam. Hingis is the third best of her generation, if I even consider JHH part of Hingis' generation :wavey:in olympics before Venus retires she will have more than 43 titles:p she has thirty six presently.Venus defended her slams and an advocate for female tennis players,she is a leader not a follower and doesnt punk out when the going gets tough.:lol: :lol: :lol: what a beautiful day !Martina is allegedly a dope fiend.:bounce: :lol: :lol:

vwfan
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Just because controversy is in the air doesn't mean I won't notice your trolling digs at Hingis :rolleyes:. Hingis owns Venus in every concievable statistical category except one less Slam. Hingis is the third best of her generation, if I even consider JHH part of Hingis' generation :wavey:Not! Let's stay in touch with reality, please.

Hingis is a great champion, period. No need to turn a thread about your so called favorite into your regular bashing of Venus.:help: