PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Worst Year for Tennis?

Aaron.
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:34 PM
Martina retires

Clijsters retires

Mauresmo sucks

Sharapova sucks

Bartoli slam finalist :eek:

Hantuchova qualifing for the YEC :tape:

IceHock
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:36 PM
Not Daniela's fault she played good when others didn't.

fatty sausage
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:37 PM
I'm only sad that Kimmy retired so early. :(

Aaron.
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:38 PM
Not Daniela's fault she played good when others didn't. Daniela's slam results have been horrible shes only beaten one top ten player this year Kuznetsova and she makes the YEC :spit:

Daniela last year would not have made the YEC if Mauresmo,Sharapova were playing well

GoDominique
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:38 PM
Aaron. posting here.

Yup, it is. :sad:

PaulHopkins
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:39 PM
But it will be made perfect if Sharapova wins YEC :D

IceHock
Daniela's slam results have been horrible shes only beaten one top ten player this year Kuznetsova and she makes the YEC :spit:

Daniela last year would not have made the YEC if Mauresmo,Sharapova were playing well

Are you serious, you should check ur stats again, and like I said it's not Daniela's fault she played good when others didn't.

Leo_DFP
As much as I love Amelie, I'd argue that 2006 was way worse. :o

tennis_lover89
This year was a complete mess..terrible for womens tennis. I think serbians and the comeback of the williamses saved the level of the wta

Natalicious
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:40 PM
2007 is definitely bad :help:

Aaron.
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:40 PM
Aaron. posting here.

Yup, it is. :sad: :kiss: :sad:

TO newbie
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:42 PM
Daniela has beaten Ivanovic, Hingis twice and Kuznetzova according to the wTA SITE

tinkerbell
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:43 PM
Kim walking away was pretty sad

IceHock
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:43 PM
Daniela has beaten Ivanovic, Hingis twice and Kuznetzova according to the wTA SITE

and chakvetadze

LindsayRulz
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:45 PM
2006 was worst I think.

At least the Williams came back stong this year we got some interesting matches.

tennis_lover89
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:46 PM
poor hantuchova what has she got to do with this? lol she's quite good, the others dropped their level and she took advantage of it..she's a smart girl

Andy.
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:48 PM
YES it has been a hard year to watch. I lost a little interest this year. Masha had a horrible year and a lot of the stars struggled. I hope 2008 will be much better.

Aaron.
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:50 PM
poor hantuchova what has she got to do with this? lol she's quite good, the others dropped their level and she took advantage of it..she's a smart girl Im not taking anything away fro m Dani.

1r 3r 4r 2r at slams means quanity over quality

Hingis injured this year Clijsters retiring Mauresmo injured Sharapova playing sub par.

last year or 2005 she would have not made the YEC

saint2
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:52 PM
Leave Dani alone...She fully deseved to play in YEC...She won tier 1, beaten some top10 players, and reached 4 finals...

Wiggly
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:57 PM
With her atrocious Slam Results, Daniela still made it to YEC.

That show how good she was.

tennis_lover89
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:59 PM
Im not taking anything away fro m Dani.

1r 3r 4r 2r at slams means quanity over quality

Hingis injured this year Clijsters retiring Mauresmo injured Sharapova playing sub par.

last year or 2005 she would have not made the YEC
of course not, there's no argueing on that

goldenslam888
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:00 AM
.....davenport retires, comesback and wins a tournament, an out of shape serena wins a slam, and martina is forced to retire, saying she has "never taken cocaine in her life."

DragonFlame
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
Martina retires

Clijsters retires

Mauresmo sucks

Sharapova sucks

First you make a thread about serena and venus not respected as much as justine and now it's worst year for tennis :o

It's been a great year of tennis with high quality and deserving grandslamwinners. You don't have to act so damn depressed. :wavey:

tennis_lover89
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:34 AM
First you make a thread about serena and venus not respected as much as justine and now it's worst year for tennis :o

It's been a great year of tennis with high quality and deserving grandslamwinners. You don't have to act so damn depressed. :wavey::tape: .. have you seen the us open, wimbledon, roland garros and AO finals?

lukehingis
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:42 AM
agree with all but the last 2... both deserved what they achieved...

but 2007 is a year i wanna forget in tennis...

RJWCapriati
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:42 AM
January was a GREAT month for the WTA and then downhill after Tokyo

Olórin
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:46 AM
January was a GREAT month for the WTA and then downhill after Tokyo

My thoughts also :lol:

Well 2006 was worse, 2007 has been alright, about the same as 2004 I'd say.

Conor
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:07 AM
This year has been fabulous! The 3 best active players winning slams, Sharapova winning more or less nothing... more of the same next year please :devil:

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:07 AM
Wasnt too bad....Venus and Serena won a grand slam...so I'm happy.

Andy.
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:55 AM
I really disslike how some of you take so much happiness out of other players hardships. OK be happy when your fav does well but there is no need to be happy about a player being injured and not playing well, I think thats appauling.

hurricanejeanne
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:56 AM
This year has just been, for lack of a better phrase, weird.

austennis
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:04 AM
yup.. just think by end of next year martina, kim, amelie will all be gone.. Venus on the way out and no1 standing up to take there place

tennis_lover89
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:07 AM
why are there so many people saying 2006 was worse? we had good level of tennis and not a kuznetsova at nº2 in the world

faboozadoo15
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:17 AM
The level of tennis this year has been the worst I've ever seen in my life.
That said, there were some really compelling stories and certainly a lot of intrigue-- the Williams sisters back and winning, Justine's excellence, and the emergence of the Serbians. The problem is that no one played well at the same time. We had some atrocious matches, especially in the major finals, which is the grandest stage in our sport.

Here's to 2008!

kiwifan
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:36 AM
Not even close to the worst year.

The 3 best women in the game all won slams.

This was a very good year. :cool:

LeonHart
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:56 AM
2007 is worse than 2006...by far.

Sigh!!!

When Martina retired the first time I didn't feel like I was a tennis fan anymore. Now I'm afraid I will feel the same now that she is retired for the second time...

Volcana
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:15 AM
Actually, it was a fine year for women's tennis. Hall-of-Fame players won the slams, and a couple of new faces made the slam finals. The injury situation has been bad for 15 years, this year was no worse than others. And while the circumstances of Hingis' retirement suck, she's no longer the face of the game, and hasn't been for a long time. 2007 is year that gives women's tennis fans hope for the next two or three years. The super players are still super, and the next gen is beginning to step up.

AcesHigh
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:09 AM
Actually, it was a fine year for women's tennis. Hall-of-Fame players won the slams, and a couple of new faces made the slam finals. The injury situation has been bad for 15 years, this year was no worse than others. And while the circumstances of Hingis' retirement suck, she's no longer the face of the game, and hasn't been for a long time. 2007 is year that gives women's tennis fans hope for the next two or three years. The super players are still super, and the next gen is beginning to step up.

In quite terrible fashion. Justine, Venus and Justine again had it way too easy. And Kuznetsova's run to the USO final was quite disgusting.

The super players are still super??

Henin-of course
Serena- playing poorly
Venus- we'll have to wait and see, but she's not playing great lately
Sharapova- no
Mauresmo- no
Hingis- no

This year was absolutely awful and last year was much better. I can't wait until this year is over.

AcesHigh
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:11 AM
Btw, when was the last year that not one GS singles final was not even remotely interesting? They were all AWFUL!!

darrinbaker00
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:27 AM
November 1, 2007 was definitely the worst day for Swiss tennis, that's for sure. Martina Hingis retired in shame, Roger Federer lost to David Nalbandian AGAIN, and Patty Schnyder is still Patty Schnyder. ;)

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:32 AM
Honestly to me tennis hasnt been the same since 2001 and 2002. We had Vee and Rena, Monica Seles, Capriati, Davenport, Kim and Henin, Mauresmo, Hingis, Pierce and the few people that pull upsets sometimes like Dokic, Rubin and Schnyder. But anyway..this year wasnt bad..wasnt the best but not bad...long as Venus and Serena keep holding up a grand slam trophy IM GOOD! lol

Dor Y
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:47 AM
I think you are right :sad: I really miss Kim and now Hingis retires :sad:
at least the williams sisters and Lindsay Davenport came back this year and supplied some reallly good mathces :)

lilimi
Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:30 AM
Daniela's slam results have been horrible shes only beaten one top ten player this year Kuznetsova and she makes the YEC :spit:

2007 was 2007.
you can't say if Momo and Sharapova were playing well, Daniela wouldn't have played the YEC. the fact is they didn't while Danela made one of her best seasons on tour. LOGICAL RESULT: she plays the YEC.
Concerning Sharapova, I've always said that her game, based at 99,9% on power requires a top physique. she can't play like she did at US Open last year for the whole year. That's normal her shoulder is injured and she's tired. Maria played this year, Daniela and Baroli (and God knows I don't like her either) haven't got their tickets for Madrid at the lottery. Ranking is ranking.
Mauresmo had physical and mental problems. It's difficult to come back. the competency on tour is more and more higher.
Clijsters wouldn't have played forever, Hingis had already retired and should have stayed off court.
This year was good and personally I'm happy to have many of my faves in the top 10. but objectively, all players playing in Madrid deserve their spot.

lilimi
Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:39 AM
In quite terrible fashion. Justine, Venus and Justine again had it way too easy. And Kuznetsova's run to the USO final was quite disgusting.

The super players are still super??

Henin-of course
Serena- playing poorly
Venus- we'll have to wait and see, but she's not playing great lately
Sharapova- no
Mauresmo- no
Hingis- no

This year was absolutely awful and last year was much better. I can't wait until this year is over.

well for me Sharapova and Mauresmo have still to prove they're "super players". I mean they don't belong to the history of tennis like Serena, Venus, Henin and Hingis.
you can't say the year was awful because the "super players" didn't play good. what do you want, Seles and Graf to come back on tour too:lol: just kidding. but there are new generations and maybe among them there are 1 or 2 "super players".only time will tell.

Renalicious
Nov 2nd, 2007, 08:22 AM
No 2007 was quite a good year. Serena and Venus winning slams = :D

Princeza
Nov 2nd, 2007, 08:28 AM
Awful year except for Justine and the rise of the Serbs.

ViennaCalling
Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:15 AM
Hopefully in 2008 young girls like Tamira, Agnes, Aga and others will be able to do some damage :D

Sassy-Na
Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
plus na li and zheng jie's injuries :hug:

Matt01
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Henin won two Slams and was at #1 for almost the whole year. :worship:

Serena made a great comeback. :)

Davenport had a successful comeback. :hearts:

Hantuchova won two big tournaments. :drool:

This year could have hardly been any better :p

Il Primo!
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
With her atrocious Slam Results, Daniela still made it to YEC.

That show how good she was.

That rather shows how much she played

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:35 PM

:eek: i knew there was a reason she qualified when she basically sucked outside of two tournies :eek:

Craigy
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
No! My favourites won titles :D Apart from Nicole. :sobbing:

E.Dementieva_FAN
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Yes. :help:

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
it wasn't a bad year.... i liked it :)

Il Primo!
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
:eek: i knew there was a reason she qualified when she basically sucked outside of two tournies :eek:

She almost played as many tourneys as Janko. If some didn't notice it yet, there's a plain and simple reason:

DANIELA SUCKS

Slutiana
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Apart from AO, Miami, AI, Wimbledon, Kolkata and Elizabeth Dolan, its been quite a horrible year tenniswise for me. With my faves constantly getting injured:

Serena (everything)
Venus (anemia gave her problems at FO USO YEC, calf)
Tati (hamstring, ankle when so close to YEC if she got the 9th ALT spot she would be on the plane to Madrid)
Keothavong (Eye infection when she was a match away from qualifying for USO, Back and Rib injruies when on the verge of top 100)

Matt01
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
She almost played as many tourneys as Janko. If some didn't notice it yet, there's a plain and simple reason:

DANIELA SUCKS

Shut up. :)

miffedmax
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
Martina retires

Clijsters retires

Mauresmo sucks

Sharapova sucks

Lena wins in Moscow.

It was a very good year.

Aaron.
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
Lena wins in Moscow.

It was a very good year. Last Year Elena made Wimbledon QF

Last year was better :)

Beny
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:46 PM
I can't believe people are complaining about 2006.
The two most skilful players were on top. I think it was one of the best years. No one can play the all-court game better than Amelie and Justine.

There were not a lot of great matches then,though.
2007 was good,too. I really enjoyed Marion's Wimby run. I had been missing the way she defeated Justine. She was unbelievable. I'm a big fan of Justine but I was happy for Marion because of the way she played then.

Beny
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
And Lena won Moscow so 2007 will always be unforgettable for me

justine schnyder
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:49 PM
2007 Was 50-50 to me..
I'm so thrilled about Justine's succes and Jelena's too :worship:, but Patty pretty much sucked all year, amelie was :help: and Martina and Kim retired :sad: :sad: :sad:

So when I think about it.. it was 40:60...

Viktymise
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
2006 was worse.

Dexter
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
2006 was way worse.

LDF
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
It hasn't been awful - there have been some interesting stories throughout the season.

I'd say it's been about as good as 2004. Certainly better than last season.

tennis_lover89
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
2006 was way worse?? do I have to remember who is our nº 2 in the world? and what was like the SF of the us open and final?..every semi-final and almost all finals of granslams last year were competitive

friendsita
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:39 PM
Martina retires

Clijsters retires

Mauresmo sucks

Sharapova sucks

Agree :tape:

Olórin
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
2006 was way worse?? do I have to remember who is our nº 2 in the world? and what was like the SF of the us open and final?..every semi-final and almost all finals of granslams last year were competitive

Well 2 Grand Slam Finals this year were good, the two involving a Williams. I mean the Wimbledon Final wasn't as good as 2006's I'll admit, or many past finals. But the quality was high and I think it was closer than the score suggests. And Serena blitzing Maria (while of course not good for Maria or her fans - or a very competitive match) was one of the most stunning spectacles women's tennis has ever seen. I wouldn't say the AO 2007 Final was bad either.

And while I'm the first to agree with you that having Sveta as the world number two is :help: She is infact one of the few players to beat Justine this year, and is no worse a world number two than Bagelie Mauresmo was a world number one in 2006. (Sorry Momo fans I'm not trying to be nasty, just make a point.)

I don't think 2006 was a bad year, but it was a bit dry and definitely the worst season of the 2000's.

justine schnyder
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
What was wrong with 2006???

tennis_lover89
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:49 PM
but in 2006, although the williamses were not playing, almost every player was playing good..We had clijsters, hingis's comeback, good rivalry between henin mauresmo and sharapova..I don't know, maybe I can't look at it objectively cause masha and martina were doing great :p..but looking at the rankings chakvetadze and kuznetsova wouldn't be where they're now in 2006

Filippo-Nastya
Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Tennis for me is awful since Stockholm 2006.

Demska
Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:50 PM
Tennis for me is awful since Stockholm 2006.

Agreed.

Poova
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
but looking at the rankings chakvetadze and kuznetsova wouldn't be where they're now in 2006
Yeah really, Sveta was a whole two places lower in 2006. :haha:

Grand Slam finals were not competitive last year bar Wimbledon. One of them didn't even get to finish! The top players did not play in the indoor season, bar Maria, at least this year we've had the big stars all playing and making the indoor season interesting.

Also I have to agree with the poster who brought up Mauresmo. I like her, but she got bagelled so many times as the world number one that it was pretty embarrassing. The world number one should not be bagelled by anyone IMO. Also, throughout 2006, everytime Sveta and Mauresmo played, Sveta won! Even in Mauresmo's best season Kuznetsova beat her. Just found that pretty interesting.

tennis_lover89
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:06 PM
Yeah really, Sveta was a whole two places lower in 2006. :haha:
well two places lower makes a heck of a difference in the top 5.. number 2 is quite different from 4

IndyMauresmoFan
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=Serena-#1-Fan;11931921]
And while I'm the first to agree with you that having Sveta as the world number two is :help: She is infact one of the few players to beat Justine this year, and is no worse a world number two than Bagelie Mauresmo was a world number one in 2006. (Sorry Momo fans I'm not trying to be nasty, just make a point.)
QUOTE]

What is your point then?? Mauresmo won 2 GS, Semis of US Open (beating Serena btw), and finals of YEC. She deserved the #1 ranking. Sveta won 1 tier 2 tourney after her opponent retired. Made the finals of US Open, but Qtrs and 4th round at the others. It is totally different!! Get your facts straight before you post. You cant compare the two at all.

Saying if any year was worst year in tennis is always gonna vary on who you root for. But IMO the overall lack of memorable matches for the year says it was one of the most boring to watch.

darrinbaker00
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Sybille Bammer, Flavia Pennetta and Maria Kirilenko all played 28 tournaments this year, the same number as Jelena Jankovic, yet none of them qualified for Madrid. Jankovic didn't qualify because she played a lot; she qualified because she played and WON a lot.

starin
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:34 AM
2008 could be great year tennis wise. I just read an article w/ James Blake and he said the WTA has no good rivalries anymore. But I think if Justine can keep her level up (and stay healthy as she was this year), Venus and Serena improve from this year (and stay healthy for more than two weeks :help:), and other players like Ivanovic, Jankovic, Szavay continue to improve, then 2008 could be great.

but look at the pattern of the last few years.

2003: Belgians: 2 slams WS: 2 slams
2004: Belgian: 1 slam WS: 0 slams 3 new slam winners
2005: Belgians: 2 slams WS: 2 slams
2006: Belgian: 1 slam WS 0 slams 1 new slam winner and Sharapova
2007: Belgian: 2 slams WS: 2 slams
2008: Belgian: 1 slam WS: 0 slams NEW SLAM WINNERS!!

nvm. :tape: 2008 is going to suck donkey balls.

Billabong
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:39 AM
2006 was indeed an awesome year compared to 2007 (for me);) 2005 as well:) and what about 2004:hearts:

Matt01
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Sybille Bammer, Flavia Pennetta and Maria Kirilenko all played 28 tournaments this year, the same number as Jelena Jankovic, yet none of them qualified for Madrid. Jankovic didn't qualify because she played a lot; she qualified because she played and WON a lot.

A reasonable Serena-Fan. :worship: That's how I like it :yeah:

DavenportForever
Nov 4th, 2007, 12:45 AM

wait...

She beat Hingis when she was still number 6 in the world at Doha and Indian Wells, Kuznetsova at Indian wells, Chakvetadze (10 at the time) in Rome, Ivanovic (6 at the time) at the grass tournament (long spelling torunament :lol: that starts with the letter H), and thats about it.

Not to mention she also beat Vaidisova, Peer, and Schnyder.

she did good this year.im proud of her. i think deserves it.

simba
Nov 4th, 2007, 02:04 AM
November 1, 2007 was definitely the worst day for Swiss tennis, that's for sure. Martina Hingis retired in shame, Roger Federer lost to David Nalbandian AGAIN, and Patty Schnyder is still Patty Schnyder. ;)

:lol: :lol: that's not right.

AcesHigh
Nov 4th, 2007, 02:33 AM

I think the comment you are refering to was talking about Hantuchova and not Jankovic.

darrinbaker00
Nov 4th, 2007, 05:01 AM
I think the comment you are refering to was talking about Hantuchova and not Jankovic.
Maybe so, but my point still stands. Playing a lot doesn't get you a high ranking; playing and WINNING a lot does.

aya44
Nov 4th, 2007, 05:03 AM
i agree.. wasn't a good year rly..

LudwigDvorak
Nov 4th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Perks of 2007:
Moscow, Indian Wells, Linz; return of Lindsay Davenport & Williams sisters; Ivanovic's breakthrough at Berlin-RG-Wimbledon; young guns coming into their own (Paszek, Azarenka, Wozniacki, Radwanska, Cirstea, etc); Eastbourne F, LA SF, Wimbledon 3R (JJ/LS), AO 1R/RG 4R (Sharapova's matches), Serena's Australian run

Negatives of 2007:
horrible grand slam matches all around; domination of Henin; injuries plaguing the top players yet again; Sharapova/Hingis/Clijsters/Mauresmo declining/retiring; Kuznetsova #2 ranking

Overall I think 2007 is mostly disliked because of all the changes in order and rank among who the best are. 2006 was typical--you just knew Clijsters, Mauresmo, Sharapova, Henin, Dementieva, Hingis, Kuznetsova, etc etc were the top players and they were the ones who primarily went further in slams than the others, it was all very cut and dry. 2007 had lots of surprises (for the WTA).

We'll see what 2008 brings.

matanuriel
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:01 AM
wait...

She beat Hingis when she was still number 6 in the world at Doha and Indian Wells, Kuznetsova at Indian wells, Chakvetadze (10 at the time) in Rome, Ivanovic (6 at the time) at the grass tournament (long spelling torunament :lol: that starts with the letter H), and thats about it.

Not to mention she also beat Vaidisova, Peer, and Schnyder.

she did good this year.im proud of her. i think deserves it.

If Shahar would have challenged she would have 2 MPs in their match. Stupid stupid girl!:fiery:

Daniela is a good player but I don't think she should be in the top 10 her ranking should move like in the 13-18 spots.