PDA

View Full Version : What is The one thing you will remember about Martina? Post vids if possible :p

Slutiana
Nov 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM
Im sorry but:

EDIT: (http://youtube.com/watch?v=fRuGUTbdf00) They didn't even show when Martina tresspassed to the other side of the net! :o
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hND_CQfFqnQ

:lol:

and this too:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s3uY3wesJmQ

:o

Yeah, i love her game but that is what i'll remember about her. :help:

#1SteffiGraf#1
Nov 1st, 2007, 09:26 PM
Beating Jana at Wimbledon 97...that was one of the first tennis tournaments I ever watched...and I was blown away by Martina's game and beauty

Olórin
Nov 1st, 2007, 09:29 PM
No, it's too soon for a eulogy :sad:

LeonHart
Nov 1st, 2007, 09:31 PM
I'll remember her French Open 1999 loss as well...pretty much the match that turned her career around.

However I'll forever remember her as the player that got me into tennis. She was a fearless striker of the ball and played a smart brand of tennis. Players going up against her knew they had to BEAT her, or they would lose.

Slutiana
Nov 1st, 2007, 09:39 PM
I'll remember her French Open 1999 loss as well...pretty much the match that turned her career around.

However I'll forever remember her as the player that got me into tennis. She was a fearless striker of the ball and played a smart brand of tennis. Players going up against her knew they had to BEAT her, or they would lose.
i think you have to change your siggy :sad:

doni1212
Nov 1st, 2007, 10:01 PM
Them teeth!!!
:haha:

John.
Nov 1st, 2007, 10:02 PM
RG 99 unfortunately

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM
Roland Garros 99

hingis44
Nov 1st, 2007, 10:06 PM
her smile, his joy of being on the court, matches against girlfriends where she laughed on the ground, it was so beautiful to watch. Her semi-final cpntre Séréna Williams in 2001 has OA L ... I can not forget

Uranium
Nov 1st, 2007, 10:08 PM
What I'll remember is that she retired twice and RG 1999.

Tennisation
Nov 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM
Coke:o

DA FOREHAND
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:03 PM
The angled backhand she hit on Seles to make the French Open final in 97. Amazing shot i'm still trying to replicate

SelesFan70
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:09 PM
The sobbing at the French Open 1999. :sad:

brayster87
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:22 PM
i'll remember her as a drug cheat, that tarnished the sport

MisterMan
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:22 PM
That she did cocaine during Wimbledon.

Poova
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:27 PM
Probably the incidents of today more than anything. But I was never really a fan anyway, although I will also remember her as being one of the most naturally talented tennis players ever.

Derek.
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:29 PM
How she used her mind on the court.

mr_burns
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:32 PM
RG 99

and how she won everyone's heart last year with this beautiful game

dybbuk
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:33 PM
RG 1999. Still the funniest tennis match I can remember watching. :rolls:

Also I will always remember her as 'Chucky' thanks to Carillo. :tape:

Demska
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:37 PM
She took coke.

jujufreak
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:38 PM
the mix of beautiful tennis and cocky behaviour :) She definitely was an interesting player that didn't leave you indifferent. RG '99 will always be talked about, her doubles results - certainly with Anna K - come to mind too.

@ brayster, tennisation, misterman and the others who only talk about this drugs issue, you are being ridiculous :rolleyes:

!Gio!
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:39 PM

Well thats just idiotic and immature:help: !And what have you accomplished in your life exactly hmmm:o

Anyway I will remember her as one of the best tennis players or athletes of my generation no matter what happens with this cocaine.
She was one of the last athletes to use her brain rather than just power or athleticism. Martina was unique and will always be unique she was one of a kind and no matter if you like her or not you should appreciate and respect what she gave to tennis, she took tennis to a different level, the teen queen, the spice girls, chucky and so on. You will be dearly missed, good luck with everything. One of the best of her generation.:)

brent-o
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:48 PM
I don't really remember this match per se, but I was looking through Youtube for Hingis videos and the song matched with the beautiful play from both players in this vintage clip makes my heart break.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kCpDpFQz8Eg

*JR*
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:53 PM
(Sorry, can't list just one)

The way she totally psyched out Masha (a better player who won their subsequent matches) enroute to an early Tier I title in her comeback by having said how much she wanted to play said opponent because "I want 2C what she's got".

That after dissing Momo @ the '99 AO, she backed it up on the court.

That Jen outlasted her in the '02 sauna final there that led to the present heat rule.

Rocker Fellow's love posts in her forum here.

Rational Danny referring to her as Dr. Hingis on the old GoTennis board.

Jon Wertheim "naming her" Chucky.

How nice and non-pretentious she was in a phone chat we had during her first retirement.

And of course the inimitable smirk when she was winning so much in the late 90's.

Martinka, thanks for the memories. :worship:

LoveFifteen
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:56 PM

How on earth is she a drug cheat? She might be a recreational drug user, but calling her a drug cheat is silly. It makes you look ignorant.

tennis_lover89
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:02 AM
I'll remember her game, cause there's never gonna a be a girl that plays like her

CaptnMatt
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:06 AM
(Sorry, can't list just one)

The way she totally psyched out Masha (a better player who won their subsequent matches) enroute to an early Tier I title in her comeback by having said how much she wanted to play said opponent because "I want 2C what she's got".

That after dissing Momo @ the '99 AO, she backed it up on the court.

That Jen outlasted her in the '02 sauna final there that led to the present heat rule.

Rocker Fellow's love posts in her forum here.

Rational Danny referring to her as Dr. Hingis on the old GoTennis board.

Jon Wertheim "naming her" Chucky.

How nice and non-pretentious she was in a phone chat we had during her first retirement.

And of course the inimitable smirk when she was winning so much in the late 90's.

Martinka, thanks for the memories. :worship:

RATIONAL DANNY! AND THE GOTENNIS Message Boards.....wow.....those were the days....

I'll miss Martina so much....

I'll always remember the 1999 and 2000 US Open semis
the 2002 Australian Open Final...heartbreaking.

And all the other amazing matches she has produced......I'll always be a fan....and as someone who has followed her closely, I am finding it really hard to believe what's happened today....I dont believe she is a drug taker.....I have a feeling they may have been confused with the stuff she took for her injury at this time.....Because before Wimbledon, she'd had a semi-decent year.....

Denise4925
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:06 AM
She got high and got caught. :tape: That will be the one thing remember about her.

!Gio!
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:13 AM
She got high and got caught. :tape: That will be the one thing remember about her.

Well than you must not be so bright.:o

Martian Jeza
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:17 AM
Well than you must not be so bright.:o

She's never bright, don't worry. She always acts like this so don't be surprised in the future with her comments which are for the most of the time childish and immature of course.

RJWCapriati
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:19 AM
The way she played in Australia!!

Slutiana
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
I've never been a fan but i've loved her gamestyle since last year and watch her whenever shes on TV. Its such a blow for tennis. I really thought, at the start of the year, the YEC could have been Henin, venus, serena, martina, amelie, maria and then 2 others. I was naive. :(

Shepster
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:41 AM
The one thing I'll never forget is watching her win the Wimbledon Girls title. I was blown away and couldn't believe how good someone could be so young and it was obvious even to someone like me at a young age (I'm within a few weeks of Martina) that something truly special was on the horizon. That she won the whole shebang within 3 years was incredible and her Wimbledon Ladies' win is easily my favourite grand slam memory on the womens side.

Other memories will include -

Being the John McEnroe of her time vis-a-vis doubles (i.e. her + anyone = best doubles team).

Provoking the ire of the French, Roland Garros 1999.
- http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/hingis/video/x1kgh3_steffi-graf-martina-hingis-1999-rg_sport

Making a star out of Jelena Dokic, Wimbledon 1999.

Showing how brains could be better than brawn.

Making me stay up til the stupid hours watching her and Jen wilt, Australian Open 2002.

Making a star out of Daniela Hantuchova, Indian Wells 2002.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQIyNGO-Mrs

Olórin
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:52 AM
I'll just remember her smiling and winning.

Her top 5 Grand Slam wins:

1. AO Final 1997 - magical how she handled all the pressure of being the favourite when Steffi went out. Youngest Grand Slam winner at 16. Wow. She played so well.
2. Wimbledon Final 1997 - A GREAT Wimbledon Final, some really wonderful serve volleying and such a special win. The only time we'll ever see Martina in a Final in London.
3. US Open SF 1999 - Such a big win for Martina, in what was universally deemed a classic match.
4. AO QF 2001 - Martina's best win I think. 8-6 in the third over my girl. Another classic.
5. AO SF 2002 - Martina outlasts old rival Seles and get's to a Grand Slam Final for the 6th year in a row. Hard to believe this was only 5 years ago.

Farewell Miss. Hingisova :sad:

alfonsojose
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:53 AM
:sobbing:

Anabelcroft
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:15 AM
her defeat at RG in 1999

GoDominique
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:18 AM
RoGa 99.

Ryan
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:20 AM
People saying her "cheating" should be taken behind a warehouse and beat to death with a rusty fish hook.

Elske
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:23 AM
Great rivalry with Lindsay :) Masters 99 final, AO 00 final, Indian Wells 00 final, ...
and her great Australian Open run, beating Serena and Venus and losing against Capriati, with her one sleeved shirt..

RJWCapriati
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:25 AM
Great rivalry with Lindsay :) Masters 99 final, AO 00 final, Indian Wells 00 final, ...
and her great Australian Open run, beating Serena and Venus and losing against Capriati, with her one sleeved shirt..

The Serena-Hingis match is still top 3 best matches I've ever seen.....

selesfan1
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:28 AM
I want to cry. I am almost 22 and I first say Martina when I was 13. waaaaay too many memories with her. She and Monica were the reasons I cam into tennis and now that they both are gone I almost think it's time for me to move on to another sport.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:53 AM
Sadly I can't remember much of her matches before she retired the 1st time... the best I could remember about her is winning Wimbledon... and the infamous "half-a-man" quote...

As for her comeback, it's certainly her smile to the camera after winning the 1st match, and also her participation in the YEC 2006 (the best one of all).

Brandon85
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:06 AM
i will miss her beautiful dropshots :(

tennis_lover89
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:08 AM
i will miss her beautiful dropshots :(
yes and after the drop shot the lob:sad: :sad:

égalité
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:14 AM
Her match against Serena at the 2000 AO. Best match I've ever seen :bigcry:

tennis_lover89
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:18 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kCpDpFQz8Eg this match

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:27 AM
she lost finals with my girls Elena and Jenni

faboozadoo15
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:39 AM
:sad: No one may ever play as beautifully and so brilliantly ever again.
I loved how she dominated with happy arrogance. The world was her oyster.

and THE GRIN.

LeonHart
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:53 AM
For the people that only knew her for her doping incident....

You are truly clueless.

That is all.

sigh...I'll have to change my siggy I'm so sad!

NeeemZ
Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:36 AM
Martina v Serena - 2001 AO QF - One of the greatest matches of the modern era.

hingisGOAT
Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:52 AM
Martina v Serena - 2001 AO QF - One of the greatest matches of the modern era.

Simply the best of the era IMO. In fact the WTA had a poll of the best matches of all time, and that match was the only quarterfinal match that made the cut... and I think her tragic match with Graf was #1! In fact Hingis was involved in more classic matches than just about anyone. Seles, Venus, Serena, Davenport, Capriati... AMAZING rivalries! I think this is because her deft game contrasted so perfectly with their brute power...

hingisGOAT
Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:53 AM
Oh and while I'm here I just want to remind everyone of her 2000 YEC final match against Seles -- perfect tennis by both players from beginning to end, right up there with the Serena match :worship:

LUIS9
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:43 AM
Oh wow this news has really shocked me, I was like lets check your e-mail before you go to sleep and I turn on my computer, open firefox and the first thing on Road runner sports news "Hingis retires because of cocaine accusation" just devastating. Nov 1st will be a very sad day in my life as a tennis fan, it also sucked that Roger once more succumbed to Nalbandian, this day blows oh well.

The sad thing really is that this may be one if not my last posts about Hingis, how tragic and ironic that it had to end in this way. :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Ben.
Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:11 AM
Her smile :) plus her days when she spoke out her mind (bout the williams sisters & what she said bout amelie).

I will remember the beautiful game she has possessed.