PDA

View Full Version : WTA denies any knowledge of positive drug test in re. to Hingis

DelMonte
Nov 1st, 2007, 05:57 PM
In a statement, WTA Tour chief executive Larry Scott said his organisation knew nothing about any drugs test failure by Hingis.

"We have not received any official information regarding the positive doping test result referred to by Martina Hingis in her press conference, and as a result we are not in a position to comment on the matter," he said.

"However, it is important to remember that in the area of anti-doping, all players are presumed innocent until proven otherwise."

A spokesperson for the Swiss tennis association told BBC Sport: "Our association makes it very clear that drugs is not, in any way, part of our sport.

"It is sad to hear this news, but we have yet to have been informed of the details from the tests."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7073033.stm

hingis44
Nov 1st, 2007, 05:59 PM
wHY did she say that if the Wta didnot know?

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:01 PM
of course they dont
WTA dont do drugs tests :o

Martina :( :sad:

FrOzon
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:02 PM
Another question is: Since when did she know?

DelMonte
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM
of course they dont
WTA dont do drugs tests :o

Martina :( :sad:

but are they not informed as a matter of procedure if one of their athletes tests positive? bizarre. :confused:

IMPOSSIBLE
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM
Martina :hug:

Neptune
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM
They will cover her or use her as an example.Hypocrisy rules the world.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:08 PM
does Larry Scott know anything that doesn't have to do with up-and-coming blonde players :o

crazillo
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:09 PM
November 1, 2007

Statement from Tour CEO re. Martina Hingis

The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour has not received any official information regarding the positive doping test result referred to by Martina Hingis in her press conference today, and as a result we are not in a position to comment on the matter.

However, it is important to remember that in the area of anti-doping, all players are presumed innocent until proven otherwise. The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to doping in sport, and fully supports the Tennis Anti-Doping Program. The Tennis Anti-Doping program is both rigorous and comprehensive, and is designed to keep our sport clean.

With respect to her retirement announcement, Martina Hingis is a tremendous champion and a fan favorite the world over. In her most recent comeback, she proved again that she can perform at the very highest levels of the game. Martina will always be respected for not only having achieved the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour world No.1 ranking, her five Grand Slam singles titles, nine Grand Slam women’s doubles titles and two Sony Ericsson Championships titles, but just as much for her incredible touch, on-court intelligence and off-court professionalism.

LARRY SCOTT
CEO, SONY ERICSSON WTA TOUR

This statement is surprising. Hingis said it by herself and it shows that she is innocent IMO. Otherwise she wouldn't have sait it by herself. Her reactions sounds a bit hysterical though and it's sad that she throws away the two years of success so easily.

hingis44
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:12 PM
This is a warning to call for assistance? TOO MUCH pressure since she is young, as Capriati, we see the result.

Expat
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:14 PM
does Larry Scott know anything that doesn't have to do with up-and-coming blonde players :o___________

thenj
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:18 PM
so the player gets informed before the tour?:tape:

MistyGrey
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM
OK this is lame... Larry Scot is clearly trying to cover this up!

brent-o
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:23 PM
This story is getting weirder and weirder. So many conflicting reports.

TonyP
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:25 PM
Martina Hingis has revealed she tested positive for cocaine at this year's Wimbledon Championships, but denied taking the drug and has announced her retirement from professional tennis.
A statement released to the media by the 27-year-old Swiss insisted she found the accusations "so horrendous and monstrous I've decided to confront it head on by talking to the press."
Hingis, a five-time Grand Slam champion and former Wimbledon winner, lost in the third round at the All England Club to Laura Granville.
Her statement continued: "My only performance enhancer is the love of the game. When I was informed I had failed my 'A' test following my defeat at Wimbledon I was shocked and appalled.
"I have no desire to spend the next seven years fighting doping officials. I'm frustrated and angry because I believe I'm 100% innocent and accusations such as these don't provide me with the motivation to continue."
Hingis returned to the sport two years ago after a four-year absence because of injuries but acknowledges at 27 she is "too old to realistically play top-class tennis."
Hingis has not played since she suffered a second-round loss to Peng Shuai in the China Open in Beijing on September 19.
Following Hingis' claims, the Sony Ericsson Women's Tour issued a statement, which read: "We have not received any official information regarding the positive doping test result referred to by Martina Hingis in her press conference and, as a result, we are not in a position to comment on the matter.
"However, it is important to remember in the area of anti-doping, all players are presumed innocent until proven otherwise. We have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to doping in sport, and fully support the Tennis Anti-Doping Program.
"The Tennis Anti-Doping program is both rigorous and comprehensive, and is designed to keep our sport clean. With respect to her retirement announcement, Martina Hingis is a tremendous champion and a fan favourite the world over. In her most recent comeback, she proved again she can perform at the very highest levels of the game."
PA Sport

More Tennis News

thenj
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM
Is Larry Scott tested regularly?

griffin
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:49 PM
Now THAT I might support :lol:

Rocketta
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:51 PM

:lol:

about the WTA not knowing...... I call a :bs: flag on that......they knew but the news probably wasn't delivered through official channels so he can always have plausible deniability. :o

DarkchildSwiss
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:57 PM
Statement from Tour CEO re. Martina Hingis

The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour has not received any official information regarding the positive doping test result referred to by Martina Hingis in her press conference today, and as a result we are not in a position to comment on the matter.

However, it is important to remember that in the area of anti-doping, all players are presumed innocent until proven otherwise. The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to doping in sport, and fully supports the Tennis Anti-Doping Program. The Tennis Anti-Doping program is both rigorous and comprehensive, and is designed to keep our sport clean.

With respect to her retirement announcement, Martina Hingis is a tremendous champion and a fan favorite the world over. In her most recent comeback, she proved again that she can perform at the very highest levels of the game. Martina will always be respected for not only having achieved the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour world No.1 ranking, her five Grand Slam singles titles, nine Grand Slam women’s doubles titles and two Sony Ericsson Championships titles, but just as much for her incredible touch, on-court intelligence and off-court professionalism.

LARRY SCOTT
CEO, SONY ERICSSON WTA TOUR

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=1865

Ryan
Nov 1st, 2007, 07:13 PM
I believe that they never got any OFFICIAL information about it - but under the table, an OTR phonecall? Entirely possible, and likely.

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 1st, 2007, 08:08 PM
Cocaine is not a sports performance enhancer of ANY kind. Maybe she just partied at a club in London a few nights before the match. :angel:

chuvack
Nov 1st, 2007, 08:23 PM
Cocaine is not a sports performance enhancer of ANY kind. Maybe she just partied at a club in London a few nights before the match. :angel:

thats a likely explanation but, then why is she going to so much trouble to lie to everybody about it and say "oh I never did it." I don't believe her for a minute.

Maybe Hingis is afraid to lose her sponsors, but with having already so much money, I can't understand why she would care.

thrust
Nov 1st, 2007, 08:41 PM
Though I was not a fan, at her peak, I grew to appreciate her game and admired her effort and tennis in her comeback. Hopefully these cocaine allegations are false, if not, I dont think her use of cocaine in any way enhanced her tennis performance. Was she tested in Australia? She really only won one important tournament this year in Japan after the AO. I am convinced her reason for retiring was due to injuries. She is not one of biggest or strongest players on tour, and at 27, it is not as easy to recover from serious injuries. I also think that unless it can be proven that she won any of her Slams or other tournaments due to cocaine enhancement, there was no reason to make this public, especially as she is retiring. I think Martina knew the results would be made public, so she did so herself. If she does have an addiction, I hope she gets help and finds happiness in her retirement.

Tennisation
Nov 1st, 2007, 08:49 PM
Is Larry Scott tested regularly?now that he's with Maria, I suggest he'd be tested regularly for herpes, syphilis, gonorea etc...:devil:

Volcana
Nov 1st, 2007, 09:42 PM
This story is getting weirder and weirder. So many conflicting reports.
What conflicting reports?

The ITF, which does test for drugs, says Hingis had a positive test for cocaine.
Hingis denies she took cocaine.
Larry Scoot say he has his head up his ass.

Marion Jones denied everything too.

Tennis-Chick
Nov 1st, 2007, 09:49 PM

:lol:

Tennisation
Nov 1st, 2007, 09:51 PM

The ITF, which does test for drugs, says Hingis had a positive test for cocaine.

Marion Jones denied everything too.wrong, it's up Maria's ass

hurricanejeanne
Nov 1st, 2007, 09:58 PM

Marion Jones denied everything too.

:haha: Well, at least he's consistant in his job.

But this whole situation is just weird.

Nicolás89
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:20 PM
not a surprise scott doesnt know anything he is just a puppet.

lecciones
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:23 PM
I shouldn't have opened WTAWORLD, how am I going to have my vacation now........

Groenefelder25
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
It sickens me that all they can talk about is players in madrid, when a much bigger story in hingis' retirement has not been spoken a word of!

mankind
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
Because WTA tour has their precious packaged image to think about. :rolleyes:
Larry Scott and all his insidious agendas. Don't trust that man.

Radix2
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
So a player decides to announce her retirement without advising the WTA prior to going to the media? This does not make sense.

jonny84
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
I'm sure they will have something about Martina.

I take it that she will come off the rankings now too?

NeeemZ
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Ranking is still there, I think it'll stay there until the end of the year.

CaptnMatt
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Seriously I think they dont have anything because this whole thing is bizarre and absurd.

I can't honestly believe that Hingis has taken any drugs.....ESPECIALLY NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF WIMBLEDON??? Seriously, she'd honestly not just have to be dumb, but completely thick....

I dont even think that half of them really believe it.....

And also, there is no ''official'' statement yet.....Larry Scott didn't even know about it???

Davenport has now come out and backed Hingis up saying she knows her too well and believes everything that Martina says...

I have followed Martina closely throughout her whole career and this is the most out-of-the-blue thing I've ever seen......I'm still in disbelief....

Pasta-Na
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
I shouldn't have opened WTAWORLD, how am I going to have my vacation now........

cocaine :angel:

sfselesfan
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
They released a press release. They probably want to get all of the facts before saying anything additional. They said in the press release that they were unaware of the positive test until Martina's press conference.

I'm actually glad they haven't said anything yet. Sounds like they're being responsible.

SF

Tennis-Chick
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
Larry Scott obviously knew something about the positive test result before the press conference, official or not. I think they are trying to get all the facts, I don't think many of them believe Martina would do drugs either. It's a very strange situation, so we will just have to wait and see. I'm actually glad they haven't got anything up yet, I would rather everything was sorted out first.

Fingon
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
Larry Scott obviously knew something about the positive test result before the press conference, official or not. I think they are trying to get all the facts, I don't think many of them believe Martina would do drugs either. It's a very strange situation, so we will just have to wait and see. I'm actually glad they haven't got anything up yet, I would rather everything was sorted out first.

sorry but that's :bs:

they said they knew nothing about it, total bullshit, the WTA would be the first to know. Are you telling me a high-profile players tests positive for drug issue at Wimbledon and the wta knows nothing about it 3 months later? yeah right.

They can't get the fact, if Martina herself is refusing to fight the charges, what are they gonna do? force her to cooperate? For whatever reason, she said she won't be spending the next years fighting this, so, case closed.

Why are they keeping quiet? very simple, cover-up. Isn't this strange that never before this a high profile player has tested positive for drugs?, there have been only isolated incidents involving low ranked players. And this whole mess wouldn't be know if Martina (again, for whatever reasons) didn't come forward. Just as a guess, she took a while as well, maybe she wanted the WTA to help and they wouldn't.

The ATP, which is crap as well, has had numerous cases of high ranked players involved in drugs, the most recently the French Open runner up in 2005, only men take drugs?

the wta is too scared that its precious sponsors (e.g. Sony-Ericsson) would walk away if a scandal happens (and it's a very real possibility).

Larry Scott has handled this the way he has handled everything, with lies, hidding facts, thinking he is so clever. He is lucky that the media doesn't give a shit about the wta otherwise they would be asking questions his little mind could not find an answer for.

Am I surprised? no.

And if they wta does release an statement, it's because the sponsors have told them not to be so ridiculously stupid, that nobody believes their lies. They can get away with hidding commitment lists so people can be cheated into thinking a certain player is playing a tournament, but this is far more serious. Drug consumption is illegal in many countries and Martina might now have problems even entering the United States. I hope the DEA feels it would be a good idea to talk to Larry about the wta's involvement. (I wouldn't be surprised if they supply the drugs to be honest).

Tennis-Chick
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:51 PM
sorry but that's :bs:

they said they knew nothing about it, total bullshit, the WTA would be the first to know. Are you telling me a high-profile players tests positive for drug issue at Wimbledon and the wta knows nothing about it 3 months later? yeah right.

They can't get the fact, if Martina herself is refusing to fight the charges, what are they gonna do? force her to cooperate? For whatever reason, she said she won't be spending the next years fighting this, so, case closed.

Why are they keeping quiet? very simple, cover-up. Isn't this strange that never before this a high profile player has tested positive for drugs?, there have been only isolated incidents involving low ranked players. And this whole mess wouldn't be know if Martina (again, for whatever reasons) didn't come forward. Just as a guess, she took a while as well, maybe she wanted the WTA to help and they wouldn't.

The ATP, which is crap as well, has had numerous cases of high ranked players involved in drugs, the most recently the French Open runner up in 2005, only men take drugs?

the wta is too scared that its precious sponsors (e.g. Sony-Ericsson) would walk away if a scandal happens (and it's a very real possibility).

Larry Scott has handled this the way he has handled everything, with lies, hidding facts, thinking he is so clever. He is lucky that the media doesn't give a shit about the wta otherwise they would be asking questions his little mind could not find an answer for.

Am I surprised? no.

And if they wta does release an statement, it's because the sponsors have told them not to be so ridiculously stupid, that nobody believes their lies. They can get away with hidding commitment lists so people can be cheated into thinking a certain player is playing a tournament, but this is far more serious. Drug consumption is illegal in many countries and Martina might now have problems even entering the United States. I hope the DEA feels it would be a good idea to talk to Larry about the wta's involvement. (I wouldn't be surprised if they supply the drugs to be honest).

I did say that Larry Scott knew something about it but didn't want to admit it.:confused: :confused:

What would be the point in the WTA releasing another statement now without the full story?? All everyone will do is criticize them and say they are covering up. It's stupid, once they have all the facts and decided to what to, then they should inform the public. It's just like any other work/legal situation. What would they gain in releasing anything now?

jul
Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:12 PM
It's the real question about all this scandal. It's totally weird that WTA didn't anything. More, it's so annoying ... WTA is managed by incompetent people ?

Helen Lawson
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:01 PM
It was like when William Holden was driving drunk and killed that guy in Italy. The Academy stayed the hell away from that affair! No comment!
It was more important when Henry Fonda's widow was telling people she had filled out his Oscar ballots for years before he died. Now THAT was a scandal and merited a public condemnation.

Fingon
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
I did say that Larry Scott knew something about it but didn't want to admit it.:confused: :confused:

What would be the point in the WTA releasing another statement now without the full story?? All everyone will do is criticize them and say they are covering up. It's stupid, once they have all the facts and decided to what to, then they should inform the public. It's just like any other work/legal situation. What would they gain in releasing anything now?

it's obvious to everyone that Larry Scott knew and lied.

if the wta wanted to wait to have the whole picture, they should have said so, they said they knew nothing, they lied, why would anyone believe them whatever they say?

Specially when it's the same WTA that pretends that players enter tournaments when they never did (and hides the real commitment lists), that's called fraud, plain and simple, Larry Scott is not just incompetent, he is corrupt, he can't even keep track of his own lies.

what can you expect of an organization that deliberately lies to defraud the public? When their CEO is an incompetent corrupt liar.

There is really nothing to save in the wta, I only hope that this really gets hyped and maybe be the final stroke and we could get rid of this corrupt and inefficient organization and start over.

manu32
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
wta is bs and bad for tennis

PatM04
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:33 PM
Because, as Larry Scott said...they haven't recieved anything official...so they are probably being advised not to make any sort official statement until then

Helen Lawson
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Honestly, they don't care and are leaving her out to dry. She can't do anything for them financially anymore, so she's out in the cold. Did anyone really expect her to have an impact at all next year with the crappy year she's had this year? If this was a top player, I think they'd cover it up and stuff. I do think they cover up stuff that would harm them. Someone could exchanged Masha's pee with a pre-rehab Lindsay Lohan's, and we'd never know.