PDA

View Full Version : Student suspended after following rules.

Wigglytuff
Oct 30th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Student suspended after telling the truth

By: Tammie Fields

Tampa - Shatavia Kendricks did exactly what school officials say students should do. She told the principal that 33-year-old Christina Butler, a teacher, was having sex with a student.

But instead of calling the police, the school suspended the girl for spreading rumors.

The 15-year-old is a ninth grader at George S. Middleton High School at East Osborne Avenue and North 22nd Street. She says she told authorities at her school weeks ago that Butler, a special education teacher, was having sex with a male student outside of school. She says she told the assistant principal about her teachers' behavior inside the classroom.

"I said, 'When we were in the class, she used to let him hold her cell phone and the keys to her car,'" Kendricks says.

And it was those keys that Tampa police say led to Butler's arrest Tuesday night. They discovered the relationship when they pulled over some kids in a blue Jeep. The Jeep belongs to Butler.

Now Butler faces a charge of felony lewd and lascivious battery after police say she admitted to having sex with the student no more than a dozen times.

The spokesperson for the Hillsborough County school district says the principal at the school did look into the allegations against Butler.

Stephen Hegarty says "We brought in the young man. We brought in the teacher separately of course. Both of them denied it vehemently. At this point what the principal had on his hands were a rumor. A nasty rumor that was harmful to both the student and the teacher and that's all he had. No evidence that anything had occurred."

But Kevin White, a county commissioner with a daughter at Middleton High School, is outraged.

"Not only do I think school officials should have looked into it, I think the administration should have brought the school resource officer who is stationed at the school into the investigation."

Meanwhile, Shatavia was suspended from school for seven days. Her mother says during that time her daughter fell behind in school and other students continue to make fun of her.

She has since returned to school.

--------

The Female student follows the rules and is suspended for seven days, a teacher has sex with a male student and gets paid vacation?

something is wrong with this picture.
Christina Butler has not. Butler was suspended with pay while she faces the charge against her.

LeonHart
Oct 30th, 2007, 06:24 AM
LoL.

Looks like the little kid is spreading rumors to me. Where's her concrete proof?

Anyways I don't think the school system is that retarded to suspend a student without looking into the situation more.

Apoleb
Oct 30th, 2007, 06:47 AM
LoL.

Looks like the little kid is spreading rumors to me. Where's her concrete proof?

Anyways I don't think the school system is that retarded to suspend a student without looking into the situation more.

Can you read?

And it was those keys that Tampa police say led to Butler's arrest Tuesday night. They discovered the relationship when they pulled over some kids in a blue Jeep. The Jeep belongs to Butler.

Now Butler faces a charge of felony lewd and lascivious battery after police say she admitted to having sex with the student no more than a dozen times.

Kart
Oct 30th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Suspension for something like this is ridiculous, even if she was spreading untrue rumours.

Ryan
Oct 30th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Well it turns out she WAS right, but I find it hard to believe she concluded they were having sex just from him holding her keys and cellphone, right? There must have been something else in class going on (winking, suggestions etc) that caused her to go to the principal.

Infiniti2001
Oct 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Well it turns out she WAS right, but I find it hard to believe she concluded they were having sex just from him holding her keys and cellphone, right? There must have been something else in class going on (winking, suggestions etc) that caused her to go to the principal.

Not only that-- the boy must have bragged about being the teacher's pet with benefits :eek:

harloo
Oct 30th, 2007, 03:04 PM

You don't think it's odd that a teenager is holding his teachers cellphone and car keys? That information alone is enough to suspect a sexual relationship. A woman don't just give a man her car keys and cellphone because they're friends. lol

Ryan
Oct 30th, 2007, 04:02 PM
You don't think it's odd that a teenager is holding his teachers cellphone and car keys? That information alone is enough to suspect a sexual relationship. A woman don't just give a man her car keys and cellphone because they're friends. lol

I guess I meant that I wouldnt go to the Principal saying they are having sex simply because of that - it definitely implies something, but you dont know for sure they are having sex. I might joke about it with my friends, but not approach a school official.

griffin
Oct 30th, 2007, 04:18 PM
How is going to the principle "spreading rumors" anyway?

Wigglytuff
Oct 30th, 2007, 05:57 PM
i am surprised the mother of the girl did not sue the principal. i would have pulled my child out and sued the principal personally.

griffin
Oct 30th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I'm sure they're considering it, but I don't think being a dumb-ass is ground for a successful lawsuit.

Philip
Oct 30th, 2007, 07:41 PM
... she was only suspended for 7 days... surely you cant fall behind that far in just 7 days..

but i guess that is beside the point ;)
she should have never been suspended in the 1st place!

oh well.

Infiniti2001
Oct 30th, 2007, 08:01 PM
... she was only suspended for 7 days... surely you cant fall behind that far in just 7 days..

but i guess that is beside the point ;)
she should have never been suspended in the 1st place!

oh well.

Are you serious? :shrug:

Ryan
Oct 30th, 2007, 08:31 PM
How is going to the principle "spreading rumors" anyway?

Why do you have principle italicised and spelled wrong, considering how its being used in this thread? I checked to see if someone spelled it wrong but I dont see anything above your post and I'm confused and nosy haha.

griffin
Oct 30th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I italicize, grasshopper, because to me "spreading rumors" would necessarily involve telling the tale to other students, or teachers, etc. Not going to a single authority figure. Had she been blabbing in the halls, the "spreading rumors" bit would have made more sense.

I misspell, grasshopper, because both my spelling and my typing suck.

Ryan
Oct 30th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I italicize, grasshopper, because to me "spreading rumors" would necessarily involve telling the tale to other students, or teachers, etc. Not going to a single authority figure. Had she been blabbing in the halls, the "spreading rumors" bit would have made more sense.

I misspell, grasshopper, because both my spelling and my typing suck.

Haha, ok sorry griffin. I thought that because you italicized principal someone was mis-using it, but I get what you mean about her not spreading rumors by telling one person. :cool: