PDA

View Full Version : New Mary J Blije!

*W*
Oct 26th, 2007, 06:53 PM
video for Mary J. Blige’s new single, Just Fine!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvAkxSYDlcA&eurl=http://perezhilton.com/?paged=2
I love the song and the video too:lick:
She looks great!:hearts:

sfselesfan
Oct 26th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Not the same in terms of quality as her last album (or the additions to her best of album). Frankly, I'm disappointed. I hope the rest of her next album is a lot better. This candy/pop crap doesn't suit her at all. She's a raw performer, and needs to show it. Leave songs like this for people like Jessica Simpson.

SF

williams.i.am
Nov 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Not the same in terms of quality as her last album (or the additions to her best of album). Frankly, I'm disappointed. I hope the rest of her next album is a lot better. This candy/pop crap doesn't suit her at all. She's a raw performer, and needs to show it. Leave songs like this for people like Jessica Simpson.

SF

co-sign. the song weak and sound like somethin that ciara passed on. :yawn:

[S@nti]
Nov 7th, 2007, 12:55 PM
she doesn't get much promotion right? :weirdo:

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I like it. This is the problem with an artist like Mary J.
Some of you feel that she does her best work when she's miserable as hell and is able to pour her heart out into her music and performance.
For me it doesn't matter. Mary J cannot do wrong.
She is one of the artist in R&B who has gone way out of her way to be open-minded when it comes to other styles of music and I feel she doesn't get enough credit for that.
This is just another case in which it works but some of yall are just use to her not singing anything this fast-pace that it comes off odd.
Things can be light and fun and still be great when it comes to music.
To me it has this modern Chaka Khan-esque vibe. Part R&B, Part House. Very nice.

williams.i.am
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Some of you feel that she does her best work when she's miserable as hell and is able to pour her heart out into her music and performance.
She is one of the artist in R&B who has gone way out of her way to be open-minded when it comes to other styles of music and I feel she doesn't get enough credit for that.
This is just another case in which it works but some of yall are just use to her not singing anything this fast-pace that it comes off odd.
To me it has this modern Chaka Khan-esque vibe. Part R&B, Part House. Very nice.

honey i luv me some mary but this song aint worthy of the sista's talents. c'mon now.

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:03 PM
honey i luv me some mary but this song aint worthy of the sista's talents. c'mon now.

It's not what you think is worthy, it's what she thinks is worthy of her talents.
This is a women who got a shot to have Umbrella as her own but at the last minute decided against it.
Obviously she wanted to go for a little different and lighter vibe this time around.

Is it ok for Mary to have a little fun? :lol:
This is the same response that Mary got when she did Love @ First Sight and there really was nothing wrong with that song except that she isn't miserable which some for some reason mistake for deep at times.

williams.i.am
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM
It's not what you think is worthy, it's what she thinks is worthy of her talents.
This is a women who got a shot to have Umbrella as her own but at the last minute decided against it.
Obviously she wanted to go for a little different and lighter vibe this time around.

Is it ok for Mary to have a little fun? :lol:
This is the same response that Mary got when she did Love @ First Sight and there really was nothing wrong with that song except that she isn't miserable which some for some reason mistake for deep at times.

mary's last album blew up without her havin to go ciara or cassie so why start now? love @ first sight was my jam so you aint preachin to me. :lol:

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM
mary's last album blew up without her havin to go ciara or cassie so why start now? love @ first sight was my jam so you aint preachin to me. :lol:

That's not a sound Cassie or Ciara would approach. Not enough base in the background.

Amerie. Possible.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:18 PM
please Mary's last album was over rated as hell. She'll never have another album as good as Share My World.

As for this song, it is pretty good. When I was in a really good mood I listened to this song and it just made me feel amazing :lol:

Viktymise
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:35 PM
please Mary's last album was over rated as hell. She'll never have another album as good as Share My World.

As for this song, it is pretty good. When I was in a really good mood I listened to this song and it just made me feel amazing :lol:

I agree, "The Breakthrough" had some good songs on it but overall was a bit weak.

The new song is decent.

williams.i.am
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:04 PM
That's not a sound Cassie or Ciara would approach. Not enough base in the background.

Amerie. Possible.

amerie could have this mess cuz y'all know she need a hit but mary just seem too old for it. i wasn't even feelin that corny dance remix of be without you. :rolleyes:

geoepee
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:26 PM
This song is soooooooooooo good! And I definitely was not in love with it at first. Everytime it came on the radio or on TV, i changed the station...

But one day, I just listened to the lyrics and it really got me in the right frame of mind. This song is perfect if you're going thru issues; or dealing with negative crap that others are placing on you... It has an old school Michael Jackson feel to it, it grew on me. Hard.

And the video is hot as well..

azinna
Nov 8th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Okay. You guys got me to listen to this clip again. Wasn't as bad the 3rd time as it was the 1st. Actually not bad at all. What's really holding this song back is the unimaginative chorus ("Just fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fi-ine.") I don't think Mary has Whitney's ability to turn sub-par stuff into gold (See chorus of Waiting to Exhale), so she needs the lyrics to be consistently tight and deep content-wise. There are actually parts in this song where this is happening, but come-on, folks. this doesn't touch Real Love, Love Without A Limit, Reminisce, You Remind Me, My Life, I'm The Only Woman, Everything, Not Gon Cry, All That I Can Say, No Happy Holidays, We Ride, Take Me As I Am.....and that's even if we equip the song with a ten-foot pole.

geoepee
Nov 8th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Okay. You guys got me to listen to this clip again. Wasn't as bad the 3rd time as it was the 1st. Actually not bad at all. What's really holding this song back is the unimaginative chorus ("Just fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fi-ine.") I don't think Mary has Whitney's ability to turn sub-par stuff into gold (See chorus of Waiting to Exhale), so she needs the lyrics to be consistently tight and deep content-wise. There are actually parts in this song where this is happening, but come-on, folks. this doesn't touch Real Love, Love Without A Limit, Reminisce, You Remind Me, My Life, I'm The Only Woman, Everything, Not Gon Cry, All That I Can Say, No Happy Holidays, We Ride, Take Me As I Am.....and that's even if we equip the song with a ten-foot pole.
Oh, I don't think that anyone's trying to say that this song comes close to some of the Mary classics that you listed... I just think that this is a very good song. Great to listen to when you're in the shower getting ready for work, lol, or good to dance to in the club...

BTW, I have to give you a strong side-eye look for adding 'We Ride' in your list of Mary classics,...http://miau.idv.tw/msn/emoticons/sarcastic_smiley.gif :)

azinna
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM
....BTW, I have to give you a strong side-eye look for adding 'We Ride' in your list of Mary classics,...http://miau.idv.tw/msn/emoticons/sarcastic_smiley.gif :)

But We Ride is tight! Okay, I may have gotten carried away.....but only just a bit.

And: Oh I see. So you like listening to 'Just (So) Fine' while getting out of the shower. Doesn't she say something about looking in the mirror and liking what she sees? I understand now. Let me get out the way....

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 10th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I'm so over Mary. I was so down with her during "what's the 411" and "My Life" and "Share My World". She lost me on the "Mary" album. Every since then she's put out good songs but I haven't liked her album as much as I like the earlier ones. Now she's more popular than ever, which is ironic because I think her music isn't as good, although her voice has improved a lot. I went from being a hardcore fan to turning the dial when she's on the radio- to my surprise though, I have to admit to liking this cut. It's better than fine, it's damn good...

mirzalover
Nov 10th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I dont really like this song and I'm hoping her album is better than this song.

harloo
Nov 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM

Mary said her fans might not like it because they always want her to be depressed. And to honest Mary can bring so much emotion to those sad love songs which is a rare quality today. I prefer the heartbroken Mary but this one grew on me. At first I didn't like it at all and thought she was trying to be Ciara but it caught me off guard one day like Alicia Key's new single. :)

No Name Face
Nov 10th, 2007, 11:18 PM
this song is eh, but "family affair" was and still is the shit, so mary doesn't need to be depressed to make good songs.

harloo
Nov 10th, 2007, 11:23 PM

I really don't think anything new Mary does will ever live up to some of her classics even though I felt The Breakthrough came close and easily(in my opinion) is Mary's best album to date.

The same guy who wrote Umbrella did Just Fine and Bed. He has a way of repeating one word in his chorus over and over. It's kind of annoying but clever in a sense that it hooks the listener. When I first heard Just Fine I thought it was terrible after I downloaded it. Then one day while on the computer doing some work it came on and I couldn't get "just fine fine.....fine ..fine" out of my head. I do prefer Mary singing about heartbreak but I think her fans give her enough leeway to experiment. Toni Braxton tried to go hip hop and her fans went crazy.:lol:

azinna
Nov 10th, 2007, 11:27 PM
this song is eh, but "family affair" was and still is the shit, so mary doesn't need to be depressed to make good songs.

Exactly. Some folks -- including Mary, perhaps -- are pulling the "fans-won't-like-it-cuz-i'm-being-happy" move as protection against an honest review. Fact is, MJB has an excellent track record making classics steeped in positive emotion.

...... Then one day while on the computer doing some work it came on and I couldn't get "just fine fine.....fine ..fine" out of my head....

yes, i agree with you, harloo, that it's catchy (which is pretty much how to describe the song, just catchy, not deep, not all that uplifting), but that fine-fine-fine nonsense actually annoys the hell out of me, makes me want to skip forward

harloo
Nov 10th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Exactly. Some folks -- including Mary, perhaps -- are pulling the "fans-won't-like-it-cuz-i'm-being-happy" move as protection against an honest review. Fact is, MJB has an excellent track record making classics steeped in positive emotion.

Successful R&B artists aren't given a chance to try anything new. Once they establish an image and signature sound most fans expect the same consistent work from album to album. In Mary's case, I really think most of her fans don't want her to venture far left. That's why she most likely hesitated on recording Umbrella.

With that said, I really think Mary just went with the hot producer at the moment. His track record is proven and while he writes radio friendly singles, none of it's classic material. The guy has one of the most childish songs I've ever heard out called, "Shawty is a 10". You have to listen to it for a good laugh. :lol:

yes, i agree with you, harloo, that it's catchy (which is pretty much how to describe the song, just catchy, not deep, not all that uplifting), but that fine-fine-fine nonsense actually annoys the hell out of me, makes me want to skip forward

After listening to it for a while that part does get annoying. Hopefully Mary only worked with The Dream on one song. :tape:

No Name Face
Nov 11th, 2007, 12:05 AM
:rolls: at shawty is a 10

G1Player2
Nov 11th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Successful R&B artists aren't given a chance to try anything new. Once they establish an image and signature sound most fans expect the same consistent work from album to album. In Mary's case, I really think most of her fans don't want her to venture far left. That's why she most likely hesitated on recording Umbrella.

With that said, I really think Mary just went with the hot producer at the moment. His track record is proven and while he writes radio friendly singles, none of it's classic material. The guy has one of the most childish songs I've ever heard out called, "Shawty is a 10". You have to listen to it for a good laugh. :lol:

After listening to it for a while that part does get annoying. Hopefully Mary only worked with The Dream on one song. :tape:

You don't like "Shawty is a 10?" :tape:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 11th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Is "Shawty is a 10" the same song as "Shawty is da shit"?

G1Player2
Nov 11th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Is "Shawty is a 10" the same song as "Shawty is da shit"?

Hmmm. Maybe that's the unedited version? :shrug:

azinna
Nov 11th, 2007, 02:24 AM
so mary's working with the guy behind "shawty is a 10"? did not know that. not sure there's more a fan can say....tho, i must admit that mjb would have done more with "umbrella" than rihanna did.....
and yes: "shawty is da shit" and "is a 10" are one and the same song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5p46Ox4wBc