PDA

View Full Version : Arab Country Launches Olympic Bid

roarke
Oct 26th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Arab Country Launches Olympic Bid
By BARBARA SURK,AP Sports
Posted: 2007-10-25 22:46:20
DOHA, Qatar (Oct. 25) -- Qatar launched its bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics on Thursday, hoping to become the first Arab country to host the games.

Flush with billions from oil and gas sales, Qatar hopes to build on its success as host of the 2006 Asian Games to attract the Olympics to Doha and promote understanding between the Middle East and the rest of the world.

"We hope to bring people into a city where they can get along," said Hasan Ali bin Ali, Chairman of the Doha 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Bid Committee. "We also hope people will come to Qatar and see a different Arab world than they perceive it to be."

Qatari officials opened the ceremony by reading a passage from the Quran, the Muslim holy book, and then staged an hour-long performance that included music and dance from around the world.

The Middle East is often associated with conflict and instability, but Qatar hopes to open the world's eyes to the booming prosperity and economic growth of the region's wealthy Gulf countries.

With a population of only 300,000 and substantial oil and gas reserves, Qatar has one of the highest per capita income rates in the world. The country competes for international investment and attention with its similarly resource-rich neighbors, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

Chicago, Tokyo, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro, Prague, and Baku - the capital of Azerbaijan - also are bidding for the 2016 Summer Olympics.

"It's a huge job to promote a bid internationally," said Mike Lee, an adviser for Doha's 2016 bid and veteran of London's successful bid for the Summer Olympics in 2012.

--------------------------------------

Will they make allowances for the athletes wear or will they want all the female athletes to cover up? If they are successful how will the other arab countries react? Would athletes feel safe?

griffin
Oct 26th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Will they make allowances for the athletes wear or will they want all the female athletes to cover up?

They don't ask the WTA players to cover up, I don't think they'd treat the Olympic competitors differently. Particularly since they're obviously trying to create a specific image for international consumption.

Whether women who live in Qatar will be allowed in to see the infidels parade around half-naked, I don't know.

PointBlank
Oct 26th, 2007, 08:13 PM
The only problem I could see is Israeli participation. They arent even allowed to participate in tennis events in the country, more or less every event.

sfselesfan
Oct 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Not gunna happen. They have about as good of a shot of hosting the games as Israel. The Olympics will not step into that mess at this point. Ain't no way!

The closest they may come would be somewhere like India or Egypt, but even that would be a stretch.

SF

Talula
Oct 26th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Arab men have HUGE willys.

griffin
Oct 26th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Arab men have HUGE willys.

Didn't you mean to post that here?
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=321826

It would make LoveFifteen's day :lol:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 26th, 2007, 11:23 PM
What a great idea put it in the Middle East the most violent region in the world :D:rolleyes:

I guess it is possible since China and Russia(well known corrupt countries one communist and one a former communist country both with human rights problems)

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 27th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Of all the cities that are biding for 2016 Olympics, not only does Doha have the ability not to be in debt for the next 20-30 years for hosting it but they've gone out of their way to show that they have the ability to make it happen in 2016.

I really would like to see the games in Doha.

njnetswill
Oct 27th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I do not see it happening due to Israel. Qatar might be a very wealthy country, but I am not sure if such a small country would be a prime place to put the Olympic games.

antonella
Oct 27th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Yeah, I do not see it happening due to Israel.

There goes the camel races trial event.

Scotso
Oct 27th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Yeah, I do not see it happening due to Israel. Qatar might be a very wealthy country, but I am not sure if such a small country would be a prime place to put the Olympic games.

Is Qatar actually one of the countries that bans Israelites? If so, then it's obvious they would never be able to host the Olympics. The host country can't ban certain nations from participating.

And yes, the fact that it's so small would be the biggest drawback. It seems unlikely that a country of just 300,000 people would have the necessary infrastructure to host the games.

juki
Oct 27th, 2007, 02:44 AM
I think Doha has a good bid, but I don't think they have a chance. They hosted the Asian games this year so they have many new sports stadiums, and they can easily put into place any infrastructure they need in time for Olympics. However I think the Middle East is just not ready yet for something like this. Another issue is the heat, which would mean a September Olympics.

I think they will eventually have a chance to host to the olympics, because of the rotation of Olymics to different regions, and because a middle eastern Olympics wculd provide a big symbol of peace. I have no doubt that Doha could pull off a good games, but its just not the right time yet. Try again later.

The real fight for the 2016 Olympics is between Chicago, Tokyo, and Rio

njnetswill
Oct 27th, 2007, 05:17 AM
China has a horrible human rights record, on par with the Arab countries, and they were awarded the 2008 bid.

That doesn't have much to do with anything.
We are not saying that Qatar has human rights problems, the fact remains that if Qatar hosts the Olympics, it would need to allow Israeli athletes to compete. Qatar is fairly Western-friendly, and even if they conform and acknowledge Israel, I doubt fellow countries in the region will. Furthermore, being in the middle east raises security questions.

Scotso
Oct 27th, 2007, 05:30 AM
All Olympic games have security questions. Look at the Atlanta bombing. I don't think a games held in the Middle East would be any more dangerous than one held anywhere else.

canuckfan
Oct 27th, 2007, 06:23 AM
The games shouldn't go there if only because Qatar are buying track athletes from Kenya and they make them change their name to an arab one. Pure propaganda :rolleyes:

Haute
Oct 27th, 2007, 06:35 AM
It'd be great to see a SWANA country host the Olympics, but I'd rather see Dubai host tht Olympics before Doha. And they probably should considering that the Burj Dubai could probably house the entire Olympic tourist population. :p

Infiniti2001
Oct 27th, 2007, 03:54 PM
China has a horrible human rights record, on par with the Arab countries, and they were awarded the 2008 bid.

No country is excluded from attending the games . On the other hand , as far as these Arab countries are concerned, Israel doesn't exist :shrug:

Sam L
Oct 27th, 2007, 05:49 PM
The real fight for the 2016 Olympics is between Chicago, Tokyo, and Rio

Rio looks amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRRJ9x1t9pI

I'm pretty sure they're going to get it. Cristo Redentor! :hearts:

njnetswill
Oct 27th, 2007, 07:24 PM
China doesn't consider Taiwan a country. They've threatened to invade them many times.

What is your point?

Only 24 countries in the whole world conduct formal diplomatic relations with Taiwan, all very small nations. The USA itself does not consider Taiwan an independent country, and neither does the EU or the UN.

griffin
Oct 27th, 2007, 07:43 PM
And yes, the fact that it's so small would be the biggest drawback. It seems unlikely that a country of just 300,000 people would have the necessary infrastructure to host the games.

They may only have 300,000 citizens, but they've probably got double that in imported migrant labor - like RRjuki said, if they could build facilities for the Asian games from the ground up without blinking, they could handle the Olympics.

I also think they're ambitious enough to grant Israeli athletes special visas or whatever if that's what it took to get the Games.

Whether the Lords of the Rings would give them the Games is another story, but they have shown a tendancy to respond to large pots of money before. I

Ellery
Oct 27th, 2007, 07:57 PM
China doesn't consider Taiwan a country. They've threatened to invade them many times.

So what? China is not going to prevent Taiwan from participating. If Taiwan wants to boycott it's their problem.

juki
Oct 27th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I'm pretty sure they're going to get it. Cristo Redentor! :hearts:

I would be really disappointed if Rio doesn't get it. If they don't get the games it shows all the Olympics care about is which city will pay the most to have it, and kill any chance for smaller cities/countries to host the games in the future.

Other cities biding that haven't been mentioned are Prague, Madrid, and Baku (:eek: ).

njnetswill
Oct 27th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I would be really disappointed if Rio doesn't get it. If they don't get the games it shows all the Olympics care about is which city will pay the most to have it, and kill any chance for smaller cities/countries to host the games in the future.

Other cities biding that haven't been mentioned are Prague, Madrid, and Baku (:eek: ).

Baku?! Isn't that the capital of Azerbaijan or something?

There is little chance that a European city will get the 2016 games, so I don't think Prague or Madrid will have much of a chance.

Scotso
Oct 27th, 2007, 09:46 PM
China doesn't consider Taiwan a country.

That's because Taiwan isn't a country.

juki
Oct 27th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Baku?! Isn't that the capital of Azerbaijan or something?

There is little chance that a European city will get the 2016 games, so I don't think Prague or Madrid will have much of a chance.

Yeah Azerbaijan :help: I don't think there is a chance for a European country either, and the Olympic organization kind of have a policy of rotating the games to different regions, so Tokyo is doubtful so soon after Beijing, maybe. So that really only leaves Rio and Chicago as the best candidates. It should be interesting to see who wins it, I reeeally hope its Rio.

The only reason that I think they wouldn't give it to Rio is because Brazil is hosting the 2014 World Cup, that might take away some luster of it going to Rio.

woosey
Oct 28th, 2007, 04:10 AM
excuse me.

qatar in the summar? in the desert? in july/august? can you say hot?

not gunna happen. athletes would be passing out everywhere.

can you imagine the marathon being run out there? they'd have to start it at 6 a.m.

Apoleb
Oct 28th, 2007, 05:08 AM
I'd prefer Baku to take it over Doha if a Muslim city should win the bid. I don't think the problem with Doha is the lack of resources, but the fact that it's held in an area with very high political instability (especially if Israeli atheletes are going to come). With the money they have though anything can happen.

juki
Oct 28th, 2007, 05:13 AM
excuse me.

qatar in the summar? in the desert? in july/august? can you say hot?

not gunna happen. athletes would be passing out everywhere.

can you imagine the marathon being run out there? they'd have to start it at 6 a.m.

The games would be early-mid September, similar to what Sydney did. I don't like the Olympics that late in the year, at the end of the sport season. Athletes will be more tired after a whole season to get ready, higher chance people are injured, etc.

njnetswill
Oct 28th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Taiwan is not allowed to use their own flag at the Olympics. They have to use a special Olympic flag. They also have to go by "Chinese Taipei" instead of Taiwan. They have been given permission to participate, but they are stripped of their nationalism.

They use this flag

http://www.ocasia.org/NOC/TPE.jpg

instead of

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/flags/tw-lgflag.gif

The only reason why China agreed to have Taiwan participate is because there would have been a huge international backlash.

It's not just the Olympics. In 2000, China pressured the Miss Universe Organization to rename Miss Taiwan as "Miss Chinese Taipei". At the Miss Universe pageant in Panama, the first official Miss China and Miss Taiwan competed alongside each other for the first time in history, prompting China to again demand that Miss Taiwan assume the title Miss Chinese Taipei.

Are you a Taiwanese nationalist or something? At least Taiwanese athletes can compete under a separate identity, something that athletes from Northern Cyprus etc. don't have the option of. The situation for Taiwanese athletes is hardly dire.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 28th, 2007, 07:22 PM
The games would be early-mid September, similar to what Sydney did. I don't like the Olympics that late in the year, at the end of the sport season. Athletes will be more tired after a whole season to get ready, higher chance people are injured, etc.

more like late Oct-Nov

Sep temps are around 40C

Williamsser
Oct 28th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Are you a Taiwanese nationalist or something? At least Taiwanese athletes can compete under a separate identity, something that athletes from Northern Cyprus etc. don't have the option of. The situation for Taiwanese athletes is hardly dire.

I was replying to a post saying that an Arab country would shut out Israeli athletes. I made the comparison that an Arab country would allow Israeli athletes under international pressure, like how China is doing with Taiwanese athletes. Then, you and other posters went off on a tangent about China's recognition of Taiwan.

I am not Taiwanese, but I have many Taiwanese nationalist friends, who have not forgotten how many nationalists the communist Chinese have killed.

njnetswill
Oct 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I was replying to a post saying that an Arab country would shut out Israeli athletes. I made the comparison that an Arab country would allow Israeli athletes under international pressure, like how China is doing with Taiwanese athletes. Then, you and other posters went off on a tangent about China's recognition of Taiwan.

I am not Taiwanese, but I have many Taiwanese nationalist friends, who have not forgotten how many nationalists the communist Chinese have killed.

I still do not think the two can be compared. Israel is a more complicated topic because the overwhelming najority of countries in the world recognize it as an independent nation, while most do not for Taiwan. If Qatar does not recognize Israel, that is a bigger problem than China wanting Taiwanese athletes to play under the name of "Chinese Taipei". My point is, the situation with Taiwan was never a major issue when Beijing was looking to host the Olympics, while I can see Israel becoming a hot topic for Doha's bid.

woosey
Oct 28th, 2007, 09:44 PM

i'm in southern california. do you realize that in the last couple of weeks (october) it's been like 90 degrees here?

i can only imagine that even in september, the heat in qatar will be very very difficult to deal with.

it's just too hot.

woosey
Oct 28th, 2007, 09:45 PM
more like late Oct-Nov

Sep temps are around 40C

urm, then it's not quite the summer games now is it?

juki
Oct 28th, 2007, 10:05 PM
more like late Oct-Nov

Sep temps are around 40C

I think its against the IOC rules to have the games the summer games hosted that late.

I don't know much about Doha, but is the April/May temps any better then September? It could be moved earlier.

gotthebend
Oct 31st, 2007, 04:57 PM
I still do not think the two can be compared. Israel is a more complicated topic because the overwhelming najority of countries in the world recognize it as an independent nation, while most do not for Taiwan. If Qatar does not recognize Israel, that is a bigger problem than China wanting Taiwanese athletes to play under the name of "Chinese Taipei". My point is, the situation with Taiwan was never a major issue when Beijing was looking to host the Olympics, while I can see Israel becoming a hot topic for Doha's bid.

That's because Israel is backed by the most powerful country in the world.
Whereas Taiwan, and many other unrecognized states, aren't backed by the world's powerful countries.
In fact, with regard to formal diplomatic relations most major developed countries don't give a shit about unrecognized states.
Like no matter how respected Dalai Lama is, those powerful countries ain't gonna help his people gain freedom from China.

I'm not saying Taiwan isn't lucky though. At least for now United States won't allow China to invade Taiwan.:tape:
Politics, Politics!

Baku is not a bad idea.
It's in Asia, and Azerbaijan is a muslim country that recognizes Israel.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 31st, 2007, 06:17 PM
I think its against the IOC rules to have the games the summer games hosted that late.

I don't know much about Doha, but is the April/May temps any better then September? It could be moved earlier.

there's only 3-4 reasonable months they could host and thats Nov-Feb.
they would have to do it at night, but if its summer, night temps are around 25-30C