PDA

View Full Version : Time to ditch Kyoto???

Fingon
Oct 26th, 2007, 05:07 PM
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v449/n7165/full/449973a.html

No, it wasn't Bush or Harper or Howard who said it.

not the oil companies, not China or India,

it's one of the most prestigious publications on nature and conservation and coming from one of the most prestigious universities in the world.

The authors do not deny climate change, nor that it's caused by man activity (e.g. greenhouse gases) but they point out how little we really know and how ineffective Kyoto has been and ask for massive investments in R&D and in atenuating the impact of global warming.

This reminds me a lot of the fight against HIV, first, they ignored it, then, they panicked and place billion of dollars trying to find a cure or a vaccine without understanding how the virus worked when they finally realized they needed to understand it first, they slowly started to get results, however, they wasted resources and 10 precious years and many people died because of that.

They are doing the same with Kyoto, some people like me don't deny or affirm the findings of the comissions, but think the measures are inadequate and will be costly and largely ineffective, then you are often accused of siding with the multinationals.

They need to understand how it works, and they need to develop ways to address it (IF possible) or mitigate its effects in people, rather that the all or nothing approach, the aggressive isolation of those who cast any doubt, the beatification of nice liars like Gore. And stop with the bullshit of "me must do something", no if that something is harmful without achieving any result, no if we are holding a real solution to satisfy some people's egos.