PDA

View Full Version : Open Office--Free Office Suite Software

lakeway11
Oct 24th, 2007, 08:20 PM
better than Microsoft Office??? :wavey:

And it is open source and free :D (just like the great statistical software R & WinBUGS :worship: )

http://www.openoffice.org/index.html

Wigglytuff
Oct 24th, 2007, 08:22 PM
if the existence of open office is news to anyone they should pimp slap themselves.

lakeway11
Oct 24th, 2007, 08:27 PM
:smash:

i'll go one better :)

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 24th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Its not better than microsoft office, they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Microsoft office's interface feels considerably cleaner and less clunky. However, open office is open source and has some cool features that which are not in microsoft office. :D Oh and openoffice is free.

Rocketta
Oct 24th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Microsoft 2007 > openoffice > Microsoft 2003

openoffice is much nicer on a mac than it is on a pc, btw. :)

Fingon
Oct 25th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Its not better than microsoft office, they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Microsoft office's interface feels considerably cleaner and less clunky. However, open office is open source and has some cool features that which are not in microsoft office. :D Oh and openoffice is free.

right.

I personally use MS Office but I am a power user.

For most people, Open Office offers more than enough features. MS Office has thousands of features people don't even know they are there, but it is a more powerful and complete product, particulary Excel.

MS Office is not cheap so if you don't need the features you can well go to Open Office.

However, a warning, you won't land a job knowing Open Office and not MS Office. That has been the biggest obstacle for adoption of Open Office and other cheap or free suites.

Many companies have tried to defeat MS Office and failed. When you are looking for a job, they expect you to know MS Office.

Companies are reluctant to adopt Open Office and others because they need the support, and the deployment and management tools that come with Office, the integration with their back office systems (such as MS Exchange), and because they don't need to train employees in the use of MS Office (the other side of the coin).

MS Office main competitor is, and has bee for a while ... Microsoft Office (earlier versions), many companies don't see a compelling reason to upgrade, because they don't need the new features.

Office 2007 has seen a big resistance because MS completely revamped the user interface and it might require some training.

MS has been having problem to differentiate the successive versions of Office (not much change from office 97 to office 2003). They tried a more intuitive interface in 2007, a way to get people to use the features. They have added collaboration capabilities and integration with several MS products, including Communicator, Exchange and Sharepoint, but they also open the API to allow developers to use Office as their front end and as a result many software companies make products that interact with Office (e.g. SAP, even Oracle). they are also offering very cheap versions to students and home users, of course free is better than cheap but for a low price they can get what they will need to know for work, and that get people to use office, and learn it.

I personally use Excel extensively, word rarely, power point never, access I don't even want to touch it and Outlook every day.

Wigglytuff
Oct 25th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Microsoft 2007 > openoffice > Microsoft 2003

openoffice is much nicer on a mac than it is on a pc, btw. :)

i have NEVER been able to install open office on my mac.

Rocketta
Oct 25th, 2007, 04:43 AM
i have NEVER been able to install open office on my mac.

you have to install x11

Wigglytuff
Oct 25th, 2007, 04:47 AM
you have to install x11

oh that is too much work. ok thank you.

Bacardi
Oct 25th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the link lakeway, I just got finished installing it on my computer. I'm thankful for this, because the only programs I really knew of for typing and such were MS Office or Wordperfect. Neither of which I could download and have work on my PC because I have a pirated version of Windows XP Pro on this computer, so everytime I would try it couldn't authenticate my operating system. Now at least I have myself a proper typing program, so I don't have to rely on shitty wordpad (with no spell check or any other features). Thanks :hatoff: