PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong 2008

goldenlox
Oct 24th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Anna might be playing the Hong Kong exhibition in January

http://www.scmp.com/portal/site/SCMP/menuitem.2c913216495213d5df646910cba0a0a0/?vgnextoid=6da0a55deccc5110VgnVCM100000360a0a0aRCR D&vgnextfmt=teaser&%20China=&ss=HK+&s=Sport

"The presence of Sharapova [world number five] and Venus [number eight], and two others from the world's top 10, will once again ensure this tournament will be of the highest calibre."

It is believed organisers are also looking at Serbian Ana Ivanovic (world number four) and Russian Anna Chakvetadze (number seven) among others.

goldenlox
Oct 24th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Here's the whole article -

Alvin Sallay
Oct 24, 2007

The Women's Champions Challenge may still be searching for a title sponsor but organisers have already hit the jackpot by securing two of the biggest drawcards for January's showpiece with Russian glamour girl Maria Sharapova and American star Venus Williams.
Williams and Sharapova will be among four of the world's top 10 stars who will take part in the annual tournament at Victoria Park in the first week of January.

The Hong Kong Tennis Patrons Association (HKTPA), organisers of the annual tournament, will officially announce the line-up for the eight-player event next Wednesday. But it is understood Hong Kong's sweetheart, Sharapova, will return once again. "Maria will be back again this year, while Venus, who did not play last year, will also make a return. Unfortunately we have not been able to secure Serena Williams as she has other commitments," a source close to the organising committee said.

"The presence of Sharapova [world number five] and Venus [number eight], and two others from the world's top 10, will once again ensure this tournament will be of the highest calibre."

It is believed organisers are also looking at Serbian Ana Ivanovic (world number four) and Russian Anna Chakvetadze (number seven) among others.

There had been fears the pull-out of long-term title sponsor Watsons Water would harm the tournament, which has traditionally netted the world's best players. It was estimated the costs of bringing in the stars and running the tournament was in the region of HK$14 million.

Watsons Water ended a seven-year relationship with the Champions Challenge this summer, citing a change in its marketing strategy. But it is understood the real reason for the blue-chip company's withdrawal was the retirement of tennis enthusiast Ian Wade as group managing director.

"Their absence [Watsons] will not jeopardise the tournament and Hong Kong fans will still be able to see the big names in action next year," tournament director Terry Catton insisted in August, when the news broke that the tournament had been robbed of its title sponsor.

"We are still looking for a title sponsor. But the event will go ahead like in previous years. We will have a similar format inviting eight players," long-standing HKTPA official David Ho Wai-tak said.

It is understood the HKTPA has dipped into its own pockets this year to pay the sizeable appearance fees for Sharapova and the other stars. "They don't come any cheaper than in previous years," said one official.

hu2891601
Oct 24th, 2007, 11:56 PM
umm, question: why so many top players play in Hong Kong every year? while there're other tour tournaments and you can get ranking points? :confused:

goldenlox
Oct 25th, 2007, 02:04 PM
They pay the players more than the prizemoney at tournaments.

ChakveChamp08
Nov 14th, 2007, 01:40 AM
I would love her to play. Only positives from getting some matches against top players and hopefully another shot against MaSha

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2007, 06:02 PM
It looks like Anna will play an exhibition with Sharapova in Singapore in Dec 30, then go to Hong Kong.
Anna is starting to get the offers that star players get.
Maria has played exos with Venus and Lindsay. They want 2 stars, to sell tickets.

ChakveChamp08
Nov 16th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Yay!!! More match experience against MaSha

peanuts
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:25 AM
If Anna goes here, I will seriously consider going to Hong Kong. Really. :)

Gdog
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM
This would be good. The more experience she gets playing with the other top 10 players the better for her as she should become more comfortable playing against them. It is good to see that main star type actions are starting to happen for our Princess. :D

peanuts
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:43 AM
This would be good. The more experience she gets playing with the other top 10 players the better for her as she should become more comfortable playing against them. It is good to see that main star type actions are starting to happen for our Princess. :D

Yep it's great to see Anna getting the attention that all top ten players duly deserved. Getting invited in this exho shows that more people are embracing her as a popular elite player. :)

goldenlox
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:02 PM
The Singapore exhibition with Sharapova was officially announced. And the Hong Kong draw is out

http://www.jbgroupclassic.com/ima_ren/dd_a.jpg

http://www.jbgroupclassic.com/ima_ren/dd_b.jpg

Gdog
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Wow I can only hope this will be televised! Two of my favorites play against each other right away. Anna vs Dani should be awesome! :bounce: :hearts: :bounce: :lick: :bounce:

cosmoose
Dec 1st, 2007, 09:43 AM
So Anna and Dani play against each other in singles and play doubles together? interesting.

And what has Wozniacki ever done to deserve a place in this tourney?

Anna should just lose to Dani...and then face Wozniacki in the loser bracket.
Much easier road compared to beating Dani and then facing Maria....we know what happens when Anna plays Maria.

saint2
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:06 AM
And what has Wozniacki ever done to deserve a place in this tourney?

Why not? Shes a young, promissing player, people likes her, and would enjoy to pay money to watch her, plus she has a chance to play with the best players here...I think its good that exo gives a chance to young players, like Caroline or Larcher De Brito

Wintermute
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Anna and Daniela playing together! :bounce: Damn I wish this was televised.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:55 PM
Good luck Anna :kiss: :hearts:

Great to see Anna getting some new attention!! :bounce: :bounce:

yolis
Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
OMG, Anna & Dani playing together... so Im very curious...Its obvious that I want Dani to win but I would be also happy if Anna will take the win... so good luck both;)

Pink Princess
Dec 3rd, 2007, 03:17 AM
Princess Anna will win to Daniela and Masha, I am sure, Good Luck!!!

peanuts
Dec 3rd, 2007, 04:05 AM
Why not? Shes a young, promissing player, people likes her, and would enjoy to pay money to watch her, plus she has a chance to play with the best players here...I think its good that exo gives a chance to young players, like Caroline or Larcher De Brito

Yep I agree. I know Wozniacki hasn't done much on the WTATour but she was a great junior player and has been I think in the Top 5 of the junior ranks. This is a good chance for her to play with the top guns of the tour in a less intense event. Same for Larcher De Brito who at 14 is showing a lot of potential to make it big. Also Wozniacki played a lot of tournaments here in Asia as a junior so there's people who'd recognized her.

I like that Anna is playing doubles with Daniela. I honestly don't have any faith in Anna's doubles skills so it's great that they have partnered her with Daniela, an accomplished player in doubles. :)

And yeah it's better that Anna avoids playing Maria at all costs. Haha! ;) But seriously it's about time she face whatever it is that she goes through when playing Maria. She needs to learn how to beat her. She can't always avoid playing Maria especially in the GS where she is always magnetically drawn to Maria's side of the draw.

And thanks GL for posting the draw. :)

goldenlox
Dec 4th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Singapore and Hong Kong have no points. They're just exhibitions.
So Anna has to get out of there healthy. Thery're just warmups before the season.
It's only 26 days to the Singapore match.

Gdog
Dec 7th, 2007, 10:56 PM
And yeah it's better that Anna avoids playing Maria at all costs. Haha! ;) But seriously it's about time she face whatever it is that she goes through when playing Maria. She needs to learn how to beat her. She can't always avoid playing Maria especially in the GS where she is always magnetically drawn to Maria's side of the draw.

I actually thought Anna did about everything she could the last time she played Maria. It wasn't so much that Anna didn't play great tennis as the fact that Maria played steller tennis on that day. Anna lost the first set 6-2 and only had I think 2 unforced errors. If she plays as she did that day (and maybe make a few more 1st serves) then I think she beats Maria on a day when she is playing only standard tennis. Very few people in the world will beat Maria if her game is on. It even took Henin 3 sets and about 3 hours + to beat her in that final.

Granted though she is in Maria's side almost every tounament! :(

peanuts
Dec 12th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I actually thought Anna did about everything she could the last time she played Maria. It wasn't so much that Anna didn't play great tennis as the fact that Maria played steller tennis on that day. Anna lost the first set 6-2 and only had I think 2 unforced errors. If she plays as she did that day (and maybe make a few more 1st serves) then I think she beats Maria on a day when she is playing only standard tennis. Very few people in the world will beat Maria if her game is on. It even took Henin 3 sets and about 3 hours + to beat her in that final.

Granted though she is in Maria's side almost every tounament! :(

Hey there Gdog, I'm sorry I didn't get to see Anna's last match against Maria. Glad to know that she played well that time. I understand your point but while I've always known deep down that Maria just does it better than Anna, I think my frustration over this losing streak stems from those matches wherein Maria was playing badly and double faulting like there's no tomorrow and yet Anna still cannot beat her. I still cringed every time I remember that awful AO quarterfinal. :lol: :help:

I supposed Anna's development especially on the mental side is still a work in progress so even when Maria's having a bad day she can still beat Anna in straight sets. :shrug: Ah well, we'll see next year, I'm pretty sure they'll meet up in the slams again soon enough. ;)

Gdog
Dec 12th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Hey there Gdog, I'm sorry I didn't get to see Anna's last match against Maria. Glad to know that she played well that time. I understand your point but while I've always known deep down that Maria just does it better than Anna, I think my frustration over this losing streak stems from those matches wherein Maria was playing badly and double faulting like there's no tomorrow and yet Anna still cannot beat her. I still cringed every time I remember that awful AO quarterfinal. :lol: :help:
I supposed Anna's development especially on the mental side is still a work in progress so even when Maria's having a bad day she can still beat Anna in straight sets. :shrug: Ah well, we'll see next year, I'm pretty sure they'll meet up in the slams again soon enough. ;)
It was a good match, but extremely upsetting for Anna. I mean she got so frustarated as she was playing so well and still getting beaten so badly. I know that it had me kinda frazzeled watching as I love Maria too, but was 100% behind Anna. Maria played amazing tennis for her return from injury and was nearly flawless. And yes Maria does to the overall thing right now better than Anna, she is more experienced and she is one of the toughest mental competitors I have seen in a long time. Though she showed even she can crack as she did against Serena twice this past year.
In sports though it also seems that there are match-ups that are always won by the one person no matter how good or bad they play. I help by doing stats for our local high school girls basketball team and we have one team that we play that is like that. We can have a great team and we will still lose when playing the other team even when they have a poor team. So many different mental factors go into sports. That's why it is really good that Anna is interested in Psychology, I think in the long run that will really help her with her game. She is so young still and has time to improve. :)
I feel it may still be a few more matches before Anna can pull off a win against Maria. She has said she does not necessarily like playing against the other Russians and she has the streak that you spoke of against Maria in particular. She has a big mental roadblock to over come before she beats her and when she finally does, I think we may see several in a row going Anna's way. I hope so at least! :angel:
And yes like you I suspect we will get to see them play several times in the not so distant future. How much should we all bet that they will be in the same section of the draw for the AO? :help:

peanuts
Dec 13th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Gdog - I'm willing to bet my new nCode racket that they will be meeting if not in the AO then in the other GS next year. ;)

I get what you mean about certain players being bad match-ups to another player. Case in point is Ivanovic to Jankovic. No matter what JJ does and how close she gets to winning, AnaI manages to beat her. I remember even JJ herself had said that AnaI is a bad match-up for her. And speaking of JJ, I do believe AnnaC owns her too. 6-2 H-H. In the 2 "L", AnnaC retired in one of them and the other one was back in 2005.

I believe Maria is world's apart from Anna when it comes to mental fortitude and Anna will never come close to her in that department. Maria will always want to win more than Anna does. And personally I don't think it's a bad thing since I like players who are head cases. :lol: But given this gap in their competitive nature, I don't see Anna having a winning streak against Maria but yeah maybe it's possible for her to beat Maria at least one or twice. Anyone can have a really really bad day. ;) :help: I may be being too hard on Anna on this one but I'll believe that she can beat Maria when she finally does. ;)

Gdog
Dec 13th, 2007, 10:57 PM
peanuts, very well put. I will believe it when I see it too, and I hope it is sometime in this decade! :p
I know one thing about that kind of lop-sided match up though and that it is sure will be sweet when Anna does beat her. Nothing like getting that huge win against the seemingly undefeatable opponent. Probably how Maria fills right now about Serena Williams! :fiery:
I to like the head cases, they are just more fun for the viewers. Maria is a great player, and very pleasant to look at too, however, she is b-o-r-i-n-g on the court. Between every play you know exactly what you will get. At least with Anna and Nicole and Jelena you never know when that racket is going to get bounced off the court, screams will erupt, or a complete meltdown will ensue! LOL! :D The unpredictability is part of the fun.
I guess we will see how they match up yet again here on 12/30/07 when they play that exhibition match.
And don't bet your nice new Racket! It would be just like them to put them on the opposite side of the draw for the rest of the year just to spite you! ;)

peanuts
Dec 14th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Gdog - You're right! The draw gods might just do the exact opposite thing just to make me look like a fool for betting my new racket. :lol:

Another thing I like about the head cases' unpredictability is that when they actually win an important match, the win is so much sweeter. It's great to see them get through all that internal struggle. And because as a fan, you just knew you won't get to see that win in every tournament they play. ;) Of course the racket throwing, self-berating mutterings and total meltdown makes the show always interesting. :lol: While we're on the topic of racket throwing, I have to say I've never seen anyone junk their racket as easily as Nicole did in the US Open this year. :eek:

And yes the exhibition match, it's nice to know that while Maria may have repeatedly stand on Anna's way towards Grand Slam success, she is at least collaborating with Anna to make boatloads of money with these exho in Singapore. ;)

Gdog
Dec 21st, 2007, 06:32 PM
I agree about that racket of Nicole's! I was like "holy crap!!" when she wiped that thing out. Either she is very strong or that racket was junk. She took one swing and destoryed it. She played a lot better after that too. Sometimes a player just needs to release all that negative energy. Maybe they need to hang a punching bag up at the side of the courts! ;)

Yes, I'm happy that Maria and Anna can work together to bring home that sweet sweet exibition money. :D

I hope it will be a good start to a great year. :)

Wintermute
Dec 30th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Wednesday 2 January

6:00pm:

Opening Ceremony (All Players Present)

Followed by (approx 6:30pm):

Singles Quarter Final (Best of 3 tie-break sets)
Maria Sharapova vs. Caroline Wozniacki

Followed by:

30 45 Minutes Break

Followed by:

Doubles (One 8 game Pro-Set)
Ana Ivanovic & Peng Shuai vs. Elena Dementieva & Michelle Larcher de Brito

Followed by:

Singles Quarter Final (Best of 3 tie-break sets)
Anna Chakvetadze vs. Daniela Hantuchova

jbgroupclassic (http://www.jbgroupclassic.com/index.php)

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2007, 11:52 AM
Anna should be in Hong Kong by now. I thought Singapore was a huge success, and I expect Anna to continue to improve this week.

goldenlox
Jan 1st, 2008, 11:29 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080101/capt.487235631b1d4c589b71522a5ed93e8d.hong_kong_te nnis_xvy105.jpg
Anna Chakvetadze of Russia poses for pictures after a press conference a day before the JB Group Classic 2008 tennis event in Hong Kong Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2008. The JB Group Classic will be held from Jan. 2-5 at Hong Kong Victoria Park.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080101/capt.b625b063e36b4c9d922fce8841b028f2.hong_kong_te nnis_xvy106.jpg
Anna Chakvetadze of Russia poses for photographers after a press conference Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2008, a day before the JB Group Classic tennis event in Hong Kong. The JB Group Classic will be held from Jan. 2 to 5 at Hong Kong Victoria Park.

goldenlox
Jan 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM
http://i030.radikal.ru/0801/c0/baea0a3440a5.jpg

Sharapower8
Jan 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Good luck against Dani, Anna ! :kiss::bounce:

goldenlox
Jan 1st, 2008, 11:04 PM
http://img45.imagevenue.com/loc89/th_20916_415R4JVG05HE0005_123_89lo.jpg (http://img45.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=20916_415R4JVG05HE0005_123_89lo.jpg) http://img171.imagevenue.com/loc805/th_20923_415R4KA905HE0005_123_805lo.jpg (http://img171.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=20923_415R4KA905HE0005_123_805lo.jpg )

saint2
Jan 2nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
After Dani choked 40-0 adv in 10 game, Anna won 1st set 6-4

smokovec
Jan 2nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Not a great match in the first games, but from 4-4 Anna starts plays better, Daniela still makes too many errors.

Now Anna is 6-4 *2-0

goldenlox
Jan 2nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
If Anna loses, she plays again anyway. If she wins she plays Sharapova next.

goldenlox
Jan 2nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
Anna won 64 63. Good start to the week. Next is Sharapova.

Pink Princess
Jan 2nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Gooo Princess Anna:):):) Come on:shout::shout::shout:

Wintermute
Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
Well done Anna. :)

Daniela :sad:

So for those who watched, does it look as though Anna has made any changes to her game over the off-season? I'm wondering if she's done anything to her serve or net game?

penkku
Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Anna :) Now it´s a good time to get that big monkey ;) off your back :)

goldenlox
Jan 2nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
Time to knock that monkey off your back

http://the-sun.on.cc/channels/sport/20080102/img/ss07010230_big.jpg
http://the-sun.on.cc/channels/sport/20080102/img/ss07010222_big.jpg
http://the-sun.on.cc/channels/sport/20080102/img/ss07010220_big.jpg

goldenlox
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:01 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080102/t/r2362792033.jpg (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTTktdJXxH1IQAzwzRtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHZkMjZ yBHBvcwMxBHNlYwNzcg--/SIG=135c3qdpf/EXP=1199404765/**http%3a//news.yahoo.com/news%3ftmpl=story%26u=/080102/ids_photos_sp/r2362792033.jpg)
Anna Chakvetadze returns a backhand to Daniela Hantuchova at the JB Group Classic 2008 tennis event in Hong Kong …
Reuters via Yahoo! News - Jan 02 7:51 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080102/t/r1414025946.jpg (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTTktdJXxH1IQA0AzRtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTBjdmNoOTV jBHBvcwMyBHNlYwNzcg--/SIG=135rb96ak/EXP=1199404765/**http%3a//news.yahoo.com/news%3ftmpl=story%26u=/080102/ids_photos_sp/r1414025946.jpg)
Anna Chakvetadze serves to Daniela Hantuchova at the JB Group Classic 2008 tennis event in Hong Kong …
Reuters via Yahoo! News - Jan 02 7:51 AM http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080102/t/r3121019294.jpg (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTTktdJXxH1IQA0QzRtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTBjcXBoZjE wBHBvcwMzBHNlYwNzcg--/SIG=135cfd8tb/EXP=1199404765/**http%3a//news.yahoo.com/news%3ftmpl=story%26u=/080102/ids_photos_sp/r3121019294.jpg)
Anna Chakvetadze returns a backhand to Daniela Hantuchova at the JB Group Classic 2008 tennis event in Hong Kong …
Reuters via Yahoo! News - Jan 02 7:34 AM

goldenlox
Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
After a tight opening set which followed serve until the 10th game, Chakvetadze crucially grabbed the first break at 5-4 to move ahead.
In the second, Chakvetadze stormed into a 3-0 lead after breaking the Hantuchova serve in the second game and, despite a spirited fightback from the world number nine, the victory was sealed in 78 minutes.
"I like the court as it has a very fast bounce. I had a few troubles with my return but at least I served well. It is very good preparation for the new season plus I have already played a few exhibitions," Chakvetadze told PA Sport.
"In Singapore against Maria we played indoors so it will be different as it is also a different surface. She plays very seriously in her exhibition matches while I am having more fun, but we will see how it goes."

GeorgianFan
Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
Anna :yeah:

saint2
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
Dont You think that Anna and Maria have enough of playing against each other?

Helaena
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Time to knock that monkey off your back

http://the-sun.on.cc/channels/sport/20080102/img/ss07010230_big.jpg
http://the-sun.on.cc/channels/sport/20080102/img/ss07010222_big.jpg
http://the-sun.on.cc/channels/sport/20080102/img/ss07010220_big.jpg

omg, goldenlox, can you post this in GM? Anna looks stunning here! :hearts::hearts::hearts:

goldenlox
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Those pics are in GM
Anna played doubles, they were up 41 but lost
Hong Kong Doubles: Williams/Wozniacki def. Peng/Chakvetadze 8-4

goldenlox
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/kasia1992/kasia1992x/55205_U2132P6T12D3395909F44DT200801.jpg

Wintermute
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hong Kong Doubles: Williams/Wozniacki def. Peng/Chakvetadze 8-4

:awww: Oh I'm disappointed Daniela wasn't well enough to play dubs with Anna. It would have been really good to see if they clicked as a team. But it's fair to say Anna is not much of a doubles player right now.

Pink Princess
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Chakvetadze vs. Sharapova

Livestream in bet365.com.

It is necessary to register!!!

Gooo Anna:bigclap::bigclap::bigclap:

Sharapower8
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Nice pics ! Why don't you put them in "Anna's pictures?" :scratch:

Topspin2
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Anna good luck against Maria! :)

GeorgianFan
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:44 AM
4-6 2-6 :awww:

saint2
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Anna cant come close to Maria even in exo...:rolleyes:I wonder will she ever win against her. :lol::lol:

smokovec
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I'm not so critical with Anna, this is just an exibition and looking at Anna-Daniela and today match she plays decent tennis, with not many unforced errors and in some circumstances with nice winners.

I expect a good Tournament in Sydney.

BUBI
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Again! :sad:

goldenlox
Jan 4th, 2008, 12:06 PM
It doesn't matter in an exo. Anna has to bring her best game to Melbourne.