PDA

View Full Version : 2008-2009 Recruiting Classes of Top Schools

Tennisace
Oct 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM
In November and April of every year, we get a sneak peak at which juniors are going where. With the 1st signing period a couple weeks away combined with my insomnia, I decided to see how the top schools are doing with their 2008 recruiting class.

I believe the following is correct: For those of you that don't know, a school is only allowed 8 scholarship players, which means depending on the class standing/transfers of current team members a school can only recruit based on how many spots there are for that year. For example at USC this year, Lindsey Nelson is the only senior on scholarship. This means that only one new freshman on scholarship can be recruited and Alison Ramos has claimed that spot.

Below lists all of the top schools (in my opinion) and their projected number of scholarships avaliable for the 2008-2009 season. This is a little more useful than tennisrecruiting.net because as spots get filled up you can determine where your favorite junior can still go and can not go.

+ represent "blue chips"
* represent a school maybe using only 7 scholarships at the moment, they might add recruits in January, or I'm uncertain (this only pertains to UCLA)

I did not include Baylor or TCU since their squads are predominatly international players. Some schools are completely done with recruiting. Again this is by no means perfect so bare with me if there are errors.

Arizona State
1. Sianna Simmons

California
1. Stephany Chang +
2. Mari Andersson
3. Jana Juricova

Clemson
1. Keri Wong +

Duke

Georgia
1. Nadja Gilchrist +
2. Chelsea Gullickson +

Georgia Tech
1. Hillary Davis +
2. Irina Falconi +
3. Viet Ha Ngo

Florida
1. Joanna Mather +
2. Jessica Alexander (Jan '09)
3. Barbara Pinterova

Miami
1. Julia Cohen (Transfer)
4. *

North Carolina
1. Shinann Featherston +
2. Stefi Gjine

Northwestern
1. Stacey Lee +

Notre Dame
1. Kristy Frilling +
2. Shannon Mathews +
3. *

Stanford
1. Logan Hansen +
2. Courtney Clayton +
3. Veronica Li +

Texas
1. Krista Damico

UCLA
1. Nina Pantic +
2. Maya Johansson (Transfer)
Walk-on: Alexandria Walters, Carling Seguso (?)

USC
1. Alison Ramos +

Vanderbilt
1. Chelsea Preeg +
2. Heather Steinbauer
3. Jacqueline Wu +

Virginia
1. Claire Bartlett +
2. Lindsey Hardenbergh

William & Mary
1. Katie Kargl

urklerlay
Oct 25th, 2007, 02:00 PM
TennisAce -

thanks for the info...didn't know each team had only 8 scholarships to use. questions for ya...if GT's R Marino was the top new recruit, where does Stanford's L Hansen rank?

Tennisace
Oct 26th, 2007, 12:51 AM
TennisAce -

thanks for the info...didn't know each team had only 8 scholarships to use. questions for ya...if GT's R Marino was the top new recruit, where does Stanford's L Hansen rank?

Well almost all teams have 8 scholarships, I know that Ivy schools don't offer athletic scholarships. I'm not quite sure if they have to pay out of pocket or if they are offered some sort of financial package.

Marino is one of the top recruits, currently No. 2, according to tennisrecruiting.net. They rank players by class and have some other criteria which divides them into blue chips, 5 star, 4 star, 3 star, 2 star, and 1 star. Logan Hansen is a blue chip as well although she's ranked No. 23. Its a leading misleading though as she hasn't played much. I know she took of her junior year so she could concentrate on academics (to improve her chances of going to Stanford, or another top school). She also had injury that kept her out for awhile. There's a reason why Stanford offered her an early committment aka she's no slouch and she's a lot better than she's playing right now.

tennisbuddy12
Oct 28th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I think Chelsey Gullickson commited to UGA but I am not sure so dont quote me...I think she committed to a college though...

Tennisace
Oct 28th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I think Chelsey Gullickson commited to UGA but I am not sure so dont quote me...I think she committed to a college though...

Interesting. This is why this thread isn't an exact science. Currently there are only 6 players on the Georgia roster (assuming each is on scholarship although Adrienne Elsberry may not) and Georgia was suppose to get two Canadian players: Monika Lalewicz and Jillian O'Neil this year. I know a lot of times, especially with European players they don't arrive until January. This could be the case or maybe one or more of them decided not to come. With only one player graduating, Kelly Hyndman, and the prospect of Gilchrist and Gullickson arriving next year that means they would be one scholarship over.

Unless next year Elsberry is not on the team. Gullickson would definitely make Georgia much stronger. Georgia's been on the slide in recent years, although that could be contributed to the increase in depth in college tennis and the spread of high quality talent over multiple schools (ie the boom of Notre Dame, Georgia Tech). Virigina is about to become a top school (which is why I included them here).

Tennisace
Oct 31st, 2007, 07:55 PM
More signs are pointing to blue chip Stephany Chang's committment to UC Berkeley.

urklerlay
Nov 1st, 2007, 02:47 PM
More signs are pointing to blue chip Stephany Chang's committment to UC Berkeley.

Isn't she from the Bay Area?

Tennisace
Nov 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM
Isn't she from the Bay Area?

Yes. She's from your neck of the woods in Mountain View.

Tennisace
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Courtney Clayton is suppose to announce her committment on Wednesday. She's deciding among Duke, Florida, Harvard, Northwestern, and Stanford. I didn't realize that freshman Alex Clayton on the Stanford team is her brother. She also has another brother, Chris, who plays for Harvard.

Despite all those top tennis schools, it might look like she's heading to Harvard. While I understand why some top tennis players attend the Ivies its really a step down from the level these top juniors are playing. Same with Lauren Mchale who says she wants to continue her growth playing NCAA, yet her choices are Yale, Princeton, and Virginia.

Tennisace
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Courtney Clayton is suppose to announce her committment on Wednesday. She's deciding among Duke, Florida, Harvard, Northwestern, and Stanford. I didn't realize that freshman Alex Clayton on the Stanford team is her brother. She also has another brother, Chris, who plays for Harvard.

Despite all those top tennis schools, it might look like she's heading to Harvard. While I understand why some top tennis players attend the Ivies its really a step down from the level these top juniors are playing. Same with Lauren Mchale who says she wants to continue her growth playing NCAA, yet her choices are Yale, Princeton, and Virginia.

Correction: Courtney is heading to Stanford. Big catch for the Cardinals and a huge blow to Florida. It makes more sense to head to Stanford compared to Harvard, especially with the quality of tennis.

urklerlay
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Correction: Courtney is heading to Stanford. Big catch for the Cardinals and a huge blow to Florida. It makes more sense to head to Stanford compared to Harvard, especially with the quality of tennis.

Right on! Another Blue Chip for the Card!

Stanford has 3 seniors this season, and so that is why you have 3 slots under their name. But they have 10 players on the roster...if they only are allowed 8 scholarships, I wonder who isn't getting a full ride? My guess is Megan Doheny since she doesn't play much, but I wonder who the other one is...

Tennisace
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Right on! Another Blue Chip for the Card!

Stanford has 3 seniors this season, and so that is why you have 3 slots under their name. But they have 10 players on the roster...if they only are allowed 8 scholarships, I wonder who isn't getting a full ride? My guess is Megan Doheny since she doesn't play much, but I wonder who the other one is...

Doheny and Isamarie Perez are the non-scholarship players on the Stanford team. Each team is only allowed to give 8 scholarships. Its not as simple as how many graduating players there are which determines the number of spots avaliable. Sometimes it works like that but not always.

For example two years from now when Jessica Nguyen and Megan Doheny graduate, Stanford will only have 1 scholarship to give despite two graduating seniors. That of course would be because Doheny is not a scholarship player.

It terms of securing talent, obviously with three spots up this year Stanford wants to capitalize on getting the best. Sometimes it doesn't work out well because 1) there aren't enough really good juniors or 2) they go to another school. By snagging Clayton it prevents other schools from getting her and especially hurts teams that also have a large number of spots to fill (ie Miami, UCLA, and Cal who need to fill four scholarship spots).

For juniors, its really a game of luck to hope that 1) the school you want has enough openings and 2) your good enough to get a spot.

Tennisace
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I kind of put two and two together. The Weil Academy in Ojai, California (basically Indian Wells), especially for the girls has been feeding into Georgia Tech with Kirsten Flower and Rebecca Marino heading there in consecutive years.

Interestingly enough, I kind of wondered why Marino when on an unofficial visit to Cal. I think its partially because two of their boys players, Kallim Stewart and Bohzidar Katsarov, have gone to Cal in the last two years from Weil. Its certainly interesting to see how academies influence college choices. For example I know that a lot of players from the Heritage Academy end up at Georgia. In recent years, Kelley Hyndman, Naoko Ueshima, and now Nadja Gilchrist.

Tennisace
Nov 14th, 2007, 12:02 PM

You are correct, she is a Bulldog and Monika Lalewicz appears to no longer be going to UGA.

Tennisace
Nov 14th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Keri Wong, a blue chip, makes a slightly unusual choice to Clemson which is predominantly an "international" school. But her an Ani Mijacika will be an interesting one-two combo next year.

What I find interesting, is where is Florida? With three spots to fill, they better have something up they're sleeve. It kind of makes you wonder why no one has picked them yet.

P.S. Today is the first day of signing week in which recruits can officially committ to schools. As of now, they have been verbal committments, which means technically they can still decide to go to another school. That usually doesn't happen. But once a letter of intent is signed they are required to go to that school for I believe at least one year before transfering if they decide to do that.

tucker1989
Nov 14th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Princeton might be good next year too, as they have gotten 3 blue chip recruits in Lauren McHale, Hilary Bartlett, and Rachel Saiontz.

Tennisace
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Florida and California have both picked up their first blue chips about time given that both schools have a large number of spots.

Tennisace
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Interestingly enough there are only a handful of blue chips that are currently not signed/verbally committed to any school.

Jamie Hampton and Chloe Jones are both considering pro/taking a year off.

Aeriel Ellis, Veronica Li, C.C. Sardinha, and McCall Jones (who's unranked at tennisrecruiting).

Here's an interesting article on Ellis about a year ago which cites that should would like to turn pro at 18 although she considers UCLA, Miami, and Florida as her top schools. Lucky for her there is plenty of room at all of those schools, http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20070106/ai_n17106537

Princeton might be good next year too, as they have gotten 3 blue chip recruits in Lauren McHale, Hilary Bartlett, and Rachel Saiontz.

Not to mention that Melissa Saiontz is already there. Princeton should be the top Ivy school next year. Having four strong players lends itself to a good No. 1-4 line up and usually two good doubles teams.

tennisbuddy12
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I asked Jamie and she said she is taking a year off and see what happens. She would like to go pro though.

How did you find out they were taking a year off? i am now clciked into tennsirecruiting...im even on there...just have 1 match though lol...and i ahve a free account

Tennisace
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Nina Pantic, a 2007 graduate, is heading to UCLA.

Tennisace
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:50 AM
I asked Jamie and she said she is taking a year off and see what happens. She would like to go pro though.

How did you find out they were taking a year off? i am now clciked into tennsirecruiting...im even on there...just have 1 match though lol...and i ahve a free account

I contribute my findings to good internet skills.

tennisbuddy12
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Nina Pantic, a 2007 graduate, is heading to UCLA.

good for her!
any news on Irina Falconi?

Tennisace
Nov 21st, 2007, 02:52 PM
Vanderbilt completes recruiting, adding Jacqueline Wu to their line-up. She is Vandy's second blue chip. It definitely seems that the Commodores are back on their way to being an elite team after being a rather weak team the last few years.

If Allison Riske ('09) doesn't turn pro, Vanderbilt has a great chance of nabbing her.

tucker1989
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
Not for 2008/2009, but for this spring, Julia Cohen will be playing for Florida. What a great get for them!

Tennisace
Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Not for 2008/2009, but for this spring, Julia Cohen will be playing for Florida. What a great get for them!

I just stumbled upon that too. Big coup for Florida. It will definitely strengthen the singles line-up: No. 1 Cohen, No. 2 Srebovic, No. 3 Alexander, No. 4 Revzina, No. 5 Borsanyi, and No. 6 Benik/Frangulyan or their 6 foot freshman Boonstra. That's almost guaranteed wins at No. 1, 2, 4, and 5.

http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=462

Tennisace
Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:45 PM
Stephanie Nunic, who took a year off after graduating in 2007, will play for Boston University. Not a top team but for those interested in an update for the players who took a year off.

mrtybrodur30
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Interestingly enough there are only a handful of blue chips that are currently not signed/verbally committed to any school.

Jamie Hampton and Chloe Jones are both considering pro/taking a year off.

Aeriel Ellis, Veronica Li, C.C. Sardinha, and McCall Jones (who's unranked at tennisrecruiting).

Here's an interesting article on Ellis about a year ago which cites that should would like to turn pro at 18 although she considers UCLA, Miami, and Florida as her top schools. Lucky for her there is plenty of room at all of those schools, http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20070106/ai_n17106537

Not to mention that Melissa Saiontz is already there. Princeton should be the top Ivy school next year. Having four strong players lends itself to a good No. 1-4 line up and usually two good doubles teams.wow i didnt know this thread was here, i actually met Aeriel Ellis and got to talk with her for a bit in November. mark manning was there as well anyway she was hitting and then after talked to some of us about tennis and her life with tennis and stuff like that. she lives and goes to school about 3-4 miles from where i live. she is really nice and yes she says she wants to go pro when she turns 18. she said she had been thinking about going to those schools but wants to go pro next year when she's 18. last year she played for her school and won the north coast section title and was player of the year. this year she didnt play for her high school so she could play other tournaments to get her ready for going pro. she hits very well especially her backhand and is pretty fast from what i saw.

Tennisace
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Aeriel Ellis has gotten offers from both UNC and UCLA. I don't know why Florida is not interested in her. They probably have some international talent up their sleeve.

Tennisace
Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
Jessica Alexander will join her sister at Florida in January 2009.

Also, I believe Swedish player Mari Andersson will play for California in the fall. No confirmation yet but looks like it is a go.

Tennisace
Mar 24th, 2008, 09:03 PM
No real big news but signing week is coming up in a couple of weeks.

I think I have figured out that Mari Andersson (who will play for California) is utilizing a gray shirt which roughly means that they are going to school part time, not on scholarship, and are allowed to practice with the team. Come fall, she will attend school full-time, be given a scholarship, and allowed to play for the team. Gray shirts are normally not known in tennis but mostly utilized in football. Most people have heard of the more popular red shirt.

Speaking of red shirts, I wonder if Florida's Diana Srebovic will red shirt this year seeing how it's almost April and she hasn't played since the fall. Likewise at California, Marion Ravelojaona could utilize one seeing how she's been out since the fall. For the sake of California's team next year I think it would be a good idea.

Transfers. Virginia's Kristin McVitty hasn't played a single match this year which makes me wonder if she is getting ready to transfer. Most schools require you to sit out a year in order to preserve all four years of eligibility. If you transfer without sitting out, you lose a year of eligibility. McVitty was a blue chip recruit her year although really didn't make much noise at Virginia (neither has Jennifer Stevens though). No real speculation to where she would transfer though.

This also brings up Amanda Craddock who left the Georgia Tech team. I'm curious if she'll try and return to college tennis.

Lastly, it was rumored that Alexa Glatch would play college tennis. Given the scholarship spots that are still open at top schools I imagine UCLA, Stanford, Florida, and maybe Miami are in the running.

tucker1989
Mar 24th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I still wonder where Sianna Simmons will play next year.

Tennisace
Mar 28th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I still wonder where Sianna Simmons will play next year.

Tennis Recruiting has her list narrowed down to Illinois, Missouri, FSU, Mississippi, LSU, Penn State, Syracuse, Arizona State. I think her best bet would to be join FSU, LSU, or Arizona State.

tucker1989
Mar 28th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Tennis Recruiting has her list narrowed down to Illinois, Missouri, FSU, Mississippi, LSU, Penn State, Syracuse, Arizona State. I think her best bet would to be join FSU, LSU, or Arizona State.

I just did some research, and I think that she is going to Arizona State :)

Tennisace
Mar 29th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I just did some research, and I think that she is going to Arizona State :)

Good choice. Next year ASU will be much stronger in singles although they will lose their No. 2 doubles team. But they should have a chance to be in top 10 next year.

Tennisace
Apr 13th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Simmons confirms ASU. In other Pac-10 news, while Washington is currently not a top school (it used to be a few years back) it signed a big recruit in Denise Dy. Washington will have a very formidable No. 1 and No. 2 singles with current freshman Venise Chan.

UW Women Sign Junior Standout To LOI
Dy was a junior doubles partner of current No. 1 players from Standor and UCLA.

April 11, 2008

SEATTLE - Husky women's tennis head coach Jill Hultquist announced the signing of standout incoming recruit Denise Dy from San Jose, Calif. today, one of the top recruits in the world who should greatly aid the third-year coach's efforts to rebuild the Huskies into a national power.

"We are very excited about Denise," said Hultquist. "She is a very experienced and talented player. She is going to add more depth to an already very strong team. We are happy that she has chosen us as she was looking at other excellent programs and thought this was the best fit for her."

Dy (pronounced DEE) will bring a wealth of junior and international experience to UW, and teamed with current Husky freshman sensation Venise Chan while playing for the ITF Junior Team Europe in 2006. This year, Dy has represented the Philippines in Fed Cup play and has been the top-ranked Filipino women's player for the last two years.

She was the 42nd-ranked player internationally among girls 18 and under in 2006, and also earned a Women's Tennis Association doubles ranking of 720th in 2007.

Dy has competed in all four of the junior major tournaments (Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, U.S. Open) and won numerous prestigious junior tournaments, as well as teaming in doubles with current Top-10 college players Hilary Barte (Stanford's No. 1 singles player) and Riza Zalameda (UCLA's No. 1 singles player).

Dy is the first member of Washington's class of 2008-09.

The current Huskies, ranked 34th, play their final regular season match next weekend on April 19 against Washington State in Pullman.

rated_next
Apr 14th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I was wondering what happened to Mari Andersson. Now I know why. ;)

gouci
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Hi everyone, I'm a college tennis fan following Southern California teams. I'm glad I found this message board. It can be hard finding other people to talk tennis with.

1. I see Washington signed Denise Dy. Does anyone know if Washington is also interested in Samantha Smith, #26 in tennisrecruiting.net class of 2008?

2. Anyone know what happened to 2006 blue chip recruit Karina Porushkevich formerly of Virgina Tech? She transferred to Cal State Northridge in California, played 1 tournament in the fall then disappeared from the team.

Tennisace
Apr 17th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Hi everyone, I'm a college tennis fan following Southern California teams. I'm glad I found this message board. It can be hard finding other people to talk tennis with.

1. I see Washington signed Denise Dy. Does anyone know if Washington is also interested in Samantha Smith, #26 in tennisrecruiting.net class of 2008?

2. Anyone know what happened to 2006 blue chip recruit Karina Porushkevich formerly of Virgina Tech? She transferred to Cal State Northridge in California, played 1 tournament in the fall then disappeared from the team.

1. Washington graduates two seniors on scholarship, which means that with the signing of Denise Dy the Huskies still have one more scholarship available. Although it might be filled already because former Duke player, Clelia Deltour graduated early from Duke with a year of eligibility remaining. I believe she currently is a graduate student and said she would compete for the Huskies. It is uncertain whether or not she will be on scholarship but it seems quite certain.

2. Did Karina ever play for CSU Northridge? I believe this is true with regard to transferring: Unless waived by the school, players that transfer are required to sit out a year before playing on their new team in order to remain all years of eligibility. Players that choose to play right away without sitting out will lose a year of eligibility.

tucker1989
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Hey Tennisace, any idea what Aeriel Ellis is going to do?

gouci
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:14 AM
2. Did Karina ever play for CSU Northridge? I believe this is true with regard to transferring: Unless waived by the school, players that transfer are required to sit out a year before playing on their new team in order to remain all years of eligibility. Players that choose to play right away without sitting out will lose a year of eligibility.

Karina played 1 doubles match in an October tennis tournament. The strange part was she was on the website roster but didn't have a biography almost like the coach was trying to keep her a secret. Then in November the coach in an interview made this comment about her as if she were going to play this year.

Karina Porushkevich comes to our squad from Virginia Tech and was also highly ranked in juniors. She may be as talented a player as we have ever had. We're really hoping for her to bring her passion for the game so that we can be as good as we can be. - Coach Victor 11/27/07

After the coaches interview the bio info went up. But come the start of the season her name and biography were removed from the roster and she just vanished. Seems like if she was sitting out a year her name and bio would remain on the roster maybe saying she was sitting out a year or redshirting.

Tennisace
Apr 18th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Hey Tennisace, any idea what Aeriel Ellis is going to do?

I think she's going to go play the pro circuit next year (probably play as an amateur and then decide if she'll go to college). Currently we only know of two schools that gave her offers: UCLA and North Carolina. I believe North Carolina has used up all their scholarships available (unless there is a transfer on the team). Haley Hemm, a 5 star is also heading to UNC next year and I didn't include her on the list in this thread.

If she's going anywhere it's going to be UCLA. I was kind of hoping Aeriel would stay local and go to Cal.

Tennisace
Apr 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Karina played 1 doubles match in an October tennis tournament. The strange part was she was on the website roster but didn't have a biography almost like the coach was trying to keep her a secret. Then in November the coach in an interview made this comment about her as if she were going to play this year.

Karina Porushkevich comes to our squad from Virginia Tech and was also highly ranked in juniors. She may be as talented a player as we have ever had. We're really hoping for her to bring her passion for the game so that we can be as good as we can be. - Coach Victor 11/27/07

After the coaches interview the bio info went up. But come the start of the season her name and biography were removed from the roster and she just vanished. Seems like if she was sitting out a year her name and bio would remain on the roster maybe saying she was sitting out a year or redshirting.

If you are sitting out a year for eligibility, you are not on the roster. On the other hand if you are on the team and get injured and eventually red shirt you would be on the roster.

gouci
May 1st, 2008, 09:12 PM
1. Washington graduates two seniors on scholarship, which means that with the signing of Denise Dy the Huskies still have one more scholarship available. Although it might be filled already because former Duke player, Clelia Deltour graduated early from Duke with a year of eligibility remaining. I believe she currently is a graduate student and said she would compete for the Huskies. It is uncertain whether or not she will be on scholarship but it seems quite certain.

Looks like Washington signs #26 5 star recruit Samantha Smith from Los Angeles. I hate to see Washington reopen a pipeline to Southern California.

Tennisace
May 21st, 2008, 12:42 AM
Some shocking news from Georgia Tech. Kirsten Flower will transfer to Ohio State and it looks like Rebecca Marino might take a year off to try the pros instead of heading directly to Georgia Tech.

Lucky for GT, they still have McDowell, Striplin, Johansson, Hickey, Krupina, and blue chip Hillary Davis but they're definitely not as strong as the past two years.

cheo23
May 23rd, 2008, 07:19 AM
How good is Claire Bartlett??

tennisbuddy12
May 25th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I have talked to Kirsten and she is a very sweet girl, even after her defeat to UGA (blowing a 5-1 3rd set lead to lose the 7th point)....She wants to be closer to home...Luck for me is, my sister works there as well as my brother in law and older brother...when I visit I could hit with her..idk....

tennis_pIayer
May 25th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I have talked to Kirsten and she is a very sweet girl, even after her defeat to UGA (blowing a 5-1 3rd set lead to lose the 7th point)....She wants to be closer to home...Luck for me is, my sister works there as well as my brother in law and older brother...when I visit I could hit with her..idk....

Looks like Georgia tech lost out on a BIG RECRUIT n MARINO. She just made it to the finals of 10,000k beating many top seeds. she coulda came straight away and played #2 and competed against the best.

gouci
May 29th, 2008, 03:34 AM
UCLA still has 2 spots unsigned.

1. Alexandria Walters is walking on. She's a 5 star player currently ranked #33 by tennisrecruiting.net. A darn good walk on but for the national champs UCLA you've got to be ranked top 10 nationally to get that freshman scholarship.

2. I heard UCLA has a transfer coming in.

3. I also heard UCLA has a top 2009 girl who will graduate high school early and arrive in January to join the team.

Speculation Only Section

1. My "best guess" is Kristen McVitty as the transfer. Have to wait and see.

2. Aeriel Ellis had a high interest in Georgia Tech. The transfer of Kirsten Flower may make room possible for Ellis.

Tennisace
May 29th, 2008, 01:42 PM

1. Alexandria Walters is walking on. She's a 5 star player currently ranked #33 by tennisrecruiting.net. A darn good walk on but for the national champs UCLA you've got to be ranked top 10 nationally to get that freshman scholarship.

3. I also heard UCLA has a top 2009 girl who will graduate high school early and arrive in January to join the team.

Speculation Only Section

2. Aeriel Ellis had a high interest in Georgia Tech. The transfer of Kirsten Flower may make room possible for Ellis.

Someone noted in another thread that UCLA will drop down to seven scholarships for the upcoming season due to the fact that they were at nine this year due in part to McGoodwin's fifth year (red shirt). So UCLA's seven scholarships are Schanck, Remynse, Joelson, Pantic, Wetmore, Lind, and the transfer? I'm assuming Lind and Wetmore are both on scholarship because they're foreign players but it is likely for the coming year that one or both of their scholarships were not renewed allowing the 2009 player to come in January.

I think that's kind of shady. UCLA got 9 this year and now found a loophole to get 8 this year. THis is probably what is going to happen but it's really unfair because they're not "punished" for having 9 this year at all. Smart play by Stella Sampras but eh...

It probably is McVitty. She's from Southern California and she was suspiciously MIA from Virginia (she had to sit out to transfer). Granted she really stunk at No. 1/2 for Virginia. UCLA will probably stick her at No. 5/6.

I kind of doubt Ellis will go to college at all, but given the UCLA situation it looks like Georgia Tech is the only place she could go for college tennis now that UCLA and North Carolina are both full.

Tennisace
May 29th, 2008, 01:46 PM
How good is Claire Bartlett??

I don't know how good she is but it kind of makes me wonder why she chose Virginia over other schools she was interested in. While the Virginia men have had very good success, the women have been struggling despite garnering top recruits the past couple of years. Maybe she wants to turn around the program but I wonder why she didn't chose a more heralded program.

gouci
May 29th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Someone noted in another thread that UCLA will drop down to seven scholarships for the upcoming season due to the fact that they were at nine this year due in part to McGoodwin's fifth year (red shirt).It was me. I posted that. Same person. :lol:

If they cut either Lind or Wetmore they'll only have 7 not 8 schollies, no loophole there.

My first thought was that Lind was gone because Wetmore was a doubles contributor. When top 10 teams play each other it can likely come down to the doubles point. Plus Walters is probably just as good as Wetmore or Lind in singles.

Time to update your list Tennisace.

For the 2009 girl I've got 10 or so suspects in mind that I'll try to narrow down. I suspect that the girl planning to graduate early probably doesn't go to a public high school. :confused:

Tennisace
May 29th, 2008, 07:48 PM
It was me. I posted that. Same person. :lol:

If they cut either Lind or Wetmore they'll only have 7 not 8 schollies, no loophole there.

My first thought was that Lind was gone because Wetmore was a doubles contributor. When top 10 teams play each other it can likely come down to the doubles point. Plus Walters is probably just as good as Wetmore or Lind in singles.

Time to update your list Tennisace.

For the 2009 girl I've got 10 or so suspects in mind that I'll try to narrow down. I suspect that the girl planning to graduate early probably doesn't go to a public high school. :confused:

You're right there is no loophole as long as either Wetmore/Lind loses scholarship. I wonder what Stella Sampras said to convince Walters to walk-on and drop Lind/Wetmore from scholarship. Sampras basically made them sacrifical lambs for the 2009 recruit. If either were given a scholarship there would be no room for the new recruit. She must be worth it.

I guess my problem with this is that thanks in part to great strategy from Sampras she isn't really hurt at all by going to 7 scholarships. She's having her cake (the NCAA title) and eating it too (the 2009 dual season). UCLA would be much weaker without the 2009 recruit.

I'll update my list when I get home, I'm at work :o

gouci
May 29th, 2008, 09:10 PM
You're right there is no loophole as long as either Wetmore/Lind loses scholarship. I wonder what Stella Sampras said to convince Walters to walk-on and drop Lind/Wetmore from scholarship. Sampras basically made them sacrifical lambs for the 2009 recruit. If either were given a scholarship there would be no room for the new recruit. She must be worth it.

I guess my problem with this is that thanks in part to great strategy from Sampras she isn't really hurt at all by going to 7 scholarships. She's having her cake (the NCAA title) and eating it too (the 2009 dual season). UCLA would be much weaker without the 2009 recruit.

I'll update my list when I get home, I'm at work :o
I suspect if Walters wanted to go to UCLA she was the one to contact Sampras. Sampras probably told her the only way you can be on the team is as a walk-on but if you crack the line-up I'll give you a future schollie.

If Lind/ Wetmore loses their scholarship doesn't mean they won't still graduate. 3 years scholarship, that's pretty good for bench players. If one leaves a championship ring is a good parting gift.

No disrespect, but your "having her cake and eating it too" analogy doesn't really work. Having your cake, cake looking perfect and pretty, and eating it too, having to cut up and take away from the cake to eat so it doesn't look perfect anymore, refers to the same cake. Your analogy deals with different seasons. It's more like she's having her cake (NCAA title) and ordered another cake to eat (2009 year). The analogy with "can't have your cake and eat it too" applied when Sampras kicked off top players from the team a few years ago because of principles and couldn't win the NCAA title the same season minus those players.

If I can narrow down the suspects I'll post my best guess on that 2009 girl sometime in June.

Tennisace
May 29th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I suspect if Walters wanted to go to UCLA she was the one to contact Sampras. Sampras probably told her the only way you can be on the team is as a walk-on but if you crack the line-up I'll give you a future schollie.

If Lind/ Wetmore loses their scholarship doesn't mean they won't still graduate. 3 years scholarship, that's pretty good for bench players. If one leaves a championship ring is a good parting gift.

No disrespect, but your "having her cake and eating it too" analogy doesn't really work. Having your cake, cake looking perfect and pretty, and eating it too, having to cut up and take away from the cake to eat so it doesn't look perfect anymore, refers to the same cake. Your analogy deals with different seasons. It's more like she's having her cake (NCAA title) and ordered another cake to eat (2009 year). The analogy with "can't have your cake and eat it too" applied when Sampras kicked off top players from the team a few years ago because of principles and couldn't win the NCAA title the same season minus those players.

If I can narrow down the suspects I'll post my best guess on that 2009 girl sometime in June.

I know that just because they lose their scholarship, it doesn't mean that they don't graduate but it seems kind of bum deal. Granted they're not singles starters it was bound to happen anyways. I imagine Lind will lose her scholarship seeing how Wetmore played No. 2 doubles.

What I was trying to get at with the analogy was arguably they needed the 9 scholarships to win the NCAA title or at least it would have been much more difficult to win without McGoodwin. In terms of value she was underrated for UCLA. In the spring, she went 20-4 in doubles, and 17-5 in singles. Who would have taken her place if she wasn't there? Joelson who had a dismal year in singles going 14-12 in the spring and 18-6 in spring doubles. Or Lind at 7-5 singles, 1-2 doubles.

Yes they could have won without McGoodwin but it definitely helped them and thanks to Sampras' savy they won't have to deal with the full repercussion of having 9 scholarships. UCLA should have only been able to pick up 3 scholarship quality players this year but instead will pick up 4. Yes it could have been a coincidence that Walters decided to walk-on instead of attending another Division I school on scholarship and a 2009 recruit graduating early to join UCLA in January but it seems like there are too many events here that happened by chance.

I guess the bottom line for me is that there are no real ramifications for UCLA having 9 this year. I'm curious what will happen next year. UCLA has one scholarship senior in Joelson. Will she give the scholarship to Walters or will she pass her up and offer to an incoming freshman.

Tennisace
May 29th, 2008, 10:56 PM
On second thought, I guess it really doesn't matter. I guess I find it funny that they their No. 9 player will be better than most Division I No. 3 players.

GoUCI, wouldn't you rather have Walters at UCI instead of being a hitting partner at UCLA?

cheo23
May 30th, 2008, 02:58 AM

Speculation Only Section

Kristen McVitty has not been playing Tennis for Virginia because of aggravating foot injury that is Threatening her Career. She is NOT transferring to UCLA for sure.

Tennisace
May 30th, 2008, 03:34 AM
It just clicked in my brain. While watching the NCAA team championships, I remember the commentators saying that Carling Seguso would be heading to UCLA. And I remembered that was weird because I knew she is currently a junior. Well put two and two together, and it looks like she is the one heading to UCLA in January.

It makes sense because her brother goes there as well. Just as I'm sure Krista Damico's decision to commit to Texas and Courtney Clayton's decision to go to Stanford were somewhat influenced by the fact that they have brothers on the men's teams.

gouci
May 30th, 2008, 04:53 PM
1. A coach that would use a player as a "sacrificial lamb" would be consistent with the type of coach that wants to win "at any cost." A coach that would do something "shady" would again be consistent with a coach that wants to win "at any cost." My impression of Sampras is that she has high regard for her principles. :worship: She has kicked out many top players based on principles hurting her chances of winning. Those actions don't seem to be consistent with the type of coach who wants to win "at any cost." I don't think Sampras is a win "at any cost" coach who would use players as sacrificial lambs or do shady things.

Maybe Lind or Wetmore is graduating early. Maybe Lind or Wetmore is flunking out of UCLA. Maybe Joelson's injury is severe enough she's not coming back. There can be a variety of other explanations with what's happening at UCLA. I don't know so I don't want to assume anything. I certainly won't assume Sampras of doing anything "shady."

2. For shady coaches who just cut players when a better one comes along there is a system in place that can penalize them. That is the NCAA Academic Progress Rate(APR) which can penalize schools with scholarship reductions for not graduating a high enough percentage of their players.

3. UCLA has one scholarship senior in Joelson. Will she give the scholarship to Walters or will she pass her up and offer to an incoming freshman.
In 09-10 UCLA will have Joelson's 'ship as well as getting McGoodwin's medical redshirt 'ship back.

4. "I guess I find it funny that they their No. 9 player will be better than most Division I No. 3 players."
I expect Wetmore not Walters to be UCLA's No. 9 player. UCI played UCLA last season. UCI's Ali Borowic defeated Wetmore at No. 6 singles. Borowic is No. 8 in UCI's depth chart. If Walters can't beat Wetmore than Walters would have been No. 9 on UCI's depth chart too last year. I doubt she's better than most ranked Div. 1 No. 3's "as a freshman".

5. GoUCI, wouldn't you rather have Walters at UCI instead of being a hitting partner at UCLA?
Walters is from rich Newport Beach. Top recruits from "rich" Orange County cities don't go to UCI. :sad: They don't want to go to a college within "commuting" distance. They want to go away for college. Many UCI athletes live in Newport Beach just 10 minutes away. Part of the recruiting appeal is to live "beachside in the OC" like in The OC, Laguna Beach, or Newport Harbor TV shows. Walters already lives in Newport Beach so nothing new for her. Top recruits from "rich" OC cities are bred to flock to the Ivy League, Pac 10, or private schools.

Hopefully as UCI's program climbs the rankings this may change in the future. On the men's side UCI signed blue chip recruit Oscar Fabian Mathews from Corona del Mar HS in Newport Beach just about 1.5 miles down the street on University Drive.

6. Seguso is a 5 star player. If she's the early HS grad going to UCLA then maybe she'll join as a walk-on just like Walters.

gouci
May 30th, 2008, 06:21 PM
For what it's worth my "best guesses" for the 2009 girl graduating early to join UCLA would have been the following in order of most likely:

1. Pamela Montez
2. Linda Abu Mushraf
3. Mallory Burdette

4. Monica Chow
5. Allie Will

6. Katherine Isip
7. Nelly Radeva
8. Thien Trang Nguyen

Tennisace
May 31st, 2008, 12:51 AM
2. For shady coaches who just cut players when a better one comes along there is a system in place that can penalize them. That is the NCAA Academic Progress Rate(APR) which can penalize schools with scholarship reductions for not graduating a high enough percentage of their players.

Just because a player is not granted scholarship after their freshman year, that doesn't mean they're not going to graduate. If I understand correctly APR is based on if they graduate, not whether they got scholarship all 4 years. If they're not on the team, then it should be "easier" for them to graduate though right? I think APR is set up so that students are student athletes and not athlete students.

In 09-10 UCLA will have Joelson's 'ship as well as getting McGoodwin's medical redshirt 'ship back.

Oh right. I think the junior class right now is a lot better than this year's senior class.

I expect Wetmore not Walters to be UCLA's No. 9 player. UCI played UCLA last season. UCI's Ali Borowic defeated Wetmore at No. 6 singles. Borowic is No. 8 in UCI's depth chart. If Walters can't beat Wetmore than Walters would have been No. 9 on UCI's depth chart too last year. I doubt she's better than most ranked Div. 1 No. 3's "as a freshman".

Of course I was exaggerating a bit but there are also tons of Division I teams that are not ranked in the top 75 and that's what I was referring to a little bit more. Depth charts are weird because coaches definitely tinker with that. UCLA should look have Schnack/Remynse/Pantic battling for No. 1-3, Joelson at No. 4, and Walters/Wetmore/transfer/2009 recruit battling for No. 5/6.

6. Seguso is a 5 star player. If she's the early HS grad going to UCLA then maybe she'll join as a walk-on just like Walters.
She could be a blue chip for the 2008-2009 "season" as they are updated in September. I think it's crazy that possibly two five star players are hitting partners for UCLA. Most top Division I schools have one to four stars as hitting partners. They must really want to go to UCLA (even without a scholarship) which is kind of crazy especially after devoting themselves to competitive tennis. But coming from a rich family helps, and Seguso obviously comes from one.

Tennisace
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Some news for the 2009-2010 Recruiting Classes of Top Schools:

Christine McGaffigan (Notre Dame) - 1 of 3 scholarships up for grabs

Tennisace
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Borsayni is transferring to Baylor!

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/content/sports/college/2008/06/07/06072008wacbaylortennis.html

gouci
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Michelle Murphy 5 star recruit transferred from Michigan State to UC Santa Barbara.

UCSB also signs:
1. Ratchaya Chaichanachaicharn from Thailand
2. Natalia Lozano-Anton from Spain

Looks like UCSB adds 2 players (Murphy & Thai girl) to their top 3 singles lineup.

njtennis17
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:10 AM
In November and April of every year, we get a sneak peak at which juniors are going where. With the 1st signing period a couple weeks away combined with my insomnia, I decided to see how the top schools are doing with their 2008 recruiting class.

I believe the following is correct: For those of you that don't know, a school is only allowed 8 scholarship players, which means depending on the class standing/transfers of current team members a school can only recruit based on how many spots there are for that year. For example at USC this year, Lindsey Nelson is the only senior on scholarship. This means that only one new freshman on scholarship can be recruited and Alison Ramos has claimed that spot.

Below lists all of the top schools (in my opinion) and their projected number of scholarships avaliable for the 2008-2009 season. This is a little more useful than tennisrecruiting.net because as spots get filled up you can determine where your favorite junior can still go and can not go.

+ represent "blue chips"
* represent a school maybe using only 7 scholarships at the moment, they might add recruits in January, or I'm uncertain (this only pertains to UCLA)

I did not include Baylor or TCU since their squads are predominatly international players. Some schools are completely done with recruiting. Again this is by no means perfect so bare with me if there are errors.

Arizona State
1. Sianna Simmons

California
1. Stephany Chang +
2. Mari Andersson

Clemson
1. Keri Wong +

Duke

Georgia
1. Nadja Gilchrist +
2. Chelsea Gullickson +

Georgia Tech
1. Rebecca Marino + (might take a year off instead)
2. Hillary Davis +

Florida
1. Joanna Mather +
2. Jessica Alexander (Jan '09)

Miami
4. *

North Carolina
1. Shinann Featherston +
2. Stefi Gjine

Northwestern
1. Stacey Lee +

Notre Dame
1. Kristy Frilling +
2. Shannon Mathews +
3. *

Stanford
1. Logan Hansen +
2. Courtney Clayton +

Texas
1. Krista Damico

UCLA
1. Nina Pantic +
Walk-on: Alexandria Walters

USC
1. Alison Ramos +

Vanderbilt
1. Chelsea Preeg +
2. Heather Steinbauer
3. Jacqueline Wu +

Virginia
1. Claire Bartlett +
2. Lindsey Hardenbergh

William & Mary
1. Katie Kargl

She goes to the high school right next to me. I've actually played next to her a few times, she is an excellent player. Nice to see she is going to a good school.

Tennisace
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Given the recent talk about Alexandria Walters, in an open tournament last week she beat Maria Sanchez of USC 2-6, 6-4, 6-2 and Cristala Andrews of USC 6-4, 7-5. She would lose to Brown's Bianca Aboubakare 3-6, 6-7.

Tennisace
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:39 PM
There are rumors that Amanda Craddock (who played her freshman year at Georgia Tech) is transferring to Texas. And all of a sudden Texas is looking a lot stronger.

Another blow for Georgia Tech? Maya Johansson has disappeared from the Tech roster. This leaves Hickey, Krupina, McDowell, and Striplin returning in the fall. Hillary Davis, a freshman, will also join in the fall. That's only five players although I'm sure they'll snag an international player. Tech better hope McDowell returns to NCAA tennis or they will be in big trouble. I wonder if Marino knew about this mini-exodus and partly contributed to her decision to delay a year.

All of a sudden though, UCLA and Florida's history of transfers doesn't look so bad.

gouci
Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
Maya Johansson formerly of Georgia Tech and ranked #41 by the ITA at the end of last season transferred to UCLA.

Carling Seguso from the state of Florida currently ranked #25 by tennisrecruiting.net will graduate early and join UCLA for 2008-2009.

Johansson & Seguso article (http://uclabruins.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/spec-rel/080108aab.html)

Tennisace
Aug 5th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Maya Johansson formerly of Georgia Tech and ranked #41 by the ITA at the end of last season transferred to UCLA.

Carling Seguso from the state of Florida currently ranked #25 by tennisrecruiting.net will graduate early and join UCLA for 2008-2009.

Johansson & Seguso article (http://uclabruins.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/spec-rel/080108aab.html)

So UCLA's 7 are: Johansson, Joelson, Schnack, Remynse, Pantic, Lind*, Wetmore*, Seguso* The * meaning it's unclear who gets the last 2 scholarships. Based on my reading from the article, it's unclear if Maya will actually be able to play next year.

Remember the different scenarios of transfering: 1) the old coach allows you to transfer immediately (with no "punishment" for transferring) with all years of eligibility remaining, 2) the old coach requires you to sit out a year before you can play for your new team (and you comply), 3) same thing as No. 2 except you decide to play at the cost of one year of eligibility.

It'll be interesting to see what rabbit Georgia Tech can pull out of their hat for the upcoming year.

gouci
Aug 5th, 2008, 06:25 PM
So UCLA's 7 are: Johansson, Joelson, Schnack, Remynse, Pantic, Lind*, Wetmore*, Seguso* The * meaning it's unclear who gets the last 2 scholarships. Based on my reading from the article, it's unclear if Maya will actually be able to play next year.

Remember the different scenarios of transfering: 1) the old coach allows you to transfer immediately (with no "punishment" for transferring) with all years of eligibility remaining, 2) the old coach requires you to sit out a year before you can play for your new team (and you comply), 3) same thing as No. 2 except you decide to play at the cost of one year of eligibility.

It'll be interesting to see what rabbit Georgia Tech can pull out of their hat for the upcoming year.

The old coach allowing players to transfer immediately seems to always be automatic. I don't recall any tennis transfer having to sit out a year before.

My early projection for the UCLA lineup.
1. Schnack
2. Remynse
3. Johansson
4. Joelson
5. Pantic
6. Walters
7. Lind
8. Seguso
9. Wetmore

Tennisace
Aug 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM
The old coach allowing players to transfer immediately seems to always be automatic. I don't recall any tennis transfer having to sit out a year before.

1. Schnack
2. Remynse
3. Johansson
4. Joelson
5. Pantic
6. Walters
7. Lind
8. Seguso
9. Wetmore

One example I can think of is Monica Wiesener who played for two years at Cal before transferring to the University of San Diego. Wiesener played in the spring of 2004 and 2005 for Cal, and then joined San Diego for 2007 and 2008. Had she played immediately she would have lost a year of eligibility.

An example of someone who played immediately and lost a year of eligibility is Zsuzsanna Fodor also of Cal. She played her freshman year at Mississippi State and then transferred and played right away losing a year of eligibility hence why she only played for two years at Cal and not three.

But I agree with you, the norm seems to be that all years of eligibility remain intact but the old coach definitely has some say in whether or not they can play right away.

This year has had a lot of high profile transfers: Borsanyi (Florida to Baylor), Flower (Georgia Tech to Ohio State), Johansson (Georgia Tech to UCLA).

I think UCLA will struggle initially as a lot of their younger players are playing much higher in the line-up than in the past (like Stanford's team this past year). Walters is definitely the weak link in the starting six for UCLA as USC, Stanford, and Cal all have stronger No. 6 players. I'm curious how Johannson will play in the Pac-10. She started strong last year and kind of fizzled (I know she had an injury that she was coming back from but she really burst onto the scene in the fall).

gouci
Aug 6th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I think UCLA will struggle initially as a lot of their younger players are playing much higher in the line-up than in the past (like Stanford's team this past year). Walters is definitely the weak link in the starting six for UCLA as USC, Stanford, and Cal all have stronger No. 6 players. I'm curious how Johannson will play in the Pac-10. She started strong last year and kind of fizzled (I know she had an injury that she was coming back from but she really burst onto the scene in the fall).With all those blue chip players I only expect UCLA to struggle against top 10 ranked teams. Even if they struggle initially UCLA can still get off to a better start than they did last year when they had the injuries to Schnack & McGoodwin during the 1st half of the season.

I'm not so sure Walters will be a weak link. As of late Walters has been getting much improved results. As you posted she beat USC's #4/5 Maria Sanchez and USC's blue chip Cristala Andrews. At the 2008 Easter Bowl Walters took the 1st set against Stanford's Courtney Clayton 6-2 before Clayton retired. At the SoCal Jr. Sectionals Walters defeated blue chip Catherine Isip. So it'll be interesting to see how Walters does at the ITA All American & ITA Regional tourneys.

Tennisace
Aug 8th, 2008, 05:02 PM
With all those blue chip players I only expect UCLA to struggle against top 10 ranked teams. Even if they struggle initially UCLA can still get off to a better start than they did last year when they had the injuries to Schnack & McGoodwin during the 1st half of the season.

I'm not so sure Walters will be a weak link. As of late Walters has been getting much improved results. As you posted she beat USC's #4/5 Maria Sanchez and USC's blue chip Cristala Andrews. At the 2008 Easter Bowl Walters took the 1st set against Stanford's Courtney Clayton 6-2 before Clayton retired. At the SoCal Jr. Sectionals Walters defeated blue chip Catherine Isip. So it'll be interesting to see how Walters does at the ITA All American & ITA Regional tourneys.

I was of course referring to top 10 teams when I said they would struggle a bit in the beginning. Even with a young line-up they're easily a top 10 team. I've learned to not take too much stock in blue chips. Usually they're the best players but a lot of them have reached their potential already. On the other hand, some 5 stars do better in college because they haven't been training as hard and their game matures more in college. I'm hoping (since she's going to Cal) that Tayler Davis will be one of those examples.

In reference to Walters, I'm alluding to the fact that she's not a lock to win her No. 6 singles match. Yes she's very good but usually top teams have dominating No. 6 players, where they'll lose maybe one or two matches but not even struggle in the rest of them. In the back draws of the USTA Hardcourts two days ago, Walters beat Alison Ramos 7-5, 7-5.

tennisbuddy12
Aug 10th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Irina Falconi who just got 3rd Place at the hardcourts today, will be playing for GA Tech. Cant wait to watch them this season. Its been known for a couple of weeks.

Roster (that I know of and my personal opinion on singles):

1. Irina Falconi (Freshman)
2. Amanda McDowell (Junior)
3. Christy Striplin (Senior)
4. Noelle Hickey (Sophmore)
5. Hilary Davis (Freshman)

still unknown for the 6th player

Tennisace
Aug 11th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Irina Falconi who just got 3rd Place at the hardcourts today, will be playing for GA Tech. Cant wait to watch them this season. Its been known for a couple of weeks.

Roster (that I know of and my personal opinion on singles):

1. Irina Falconi (Freshman)
2. Amanda McDowell (Junior)
3. Christy Striplin (Senior)
4. Noelle Hickey (Sophmore)
5. Hilary Davis (Freshman)

still unknown for the 6th player

Sasha Krupina who played doubles primarily last year should fill out the roster. I would be surprised if they put Falconi at No. 1. Where did you hear the news? And is she going to play this fall or wait until next year?

Amalgamate
Aug 11th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I would be shocked to see Falconi play No.1 for GA Tech. She isn't that great ( I just saw her play at hardcourts) and against better and more consistent players I do not think she is No.1 material. They would put her in the middle of the line up just to gain some experience. Also, isn't she taking a year off and entering in the fall of 09? :confused:

tucker1989
Aug 11th, 2008, 11:42 PM
There is no way that Falconi will play above McDowell. No way.

*JR*
Aug 12th, 2008, 11:27 PM

2. Remynse
5 years ago I foresaw a significant pro career for Andrea. :shrug:

gouci
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Last year Andrea Remynse was playing #4 singles so playing #2 this year would be making progress. UCLA seems to sign a national top 10 recruit every year. So playing #1 for UCLA as an underclassman is a tough order. Most importantly Remynse won a NCAA team championship last year. She's doing well for herself in my view.

*JR*
Aug 14th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Last year Andrea Remynse was playing #4 singles so playing #2 this year would be making progress. UCLA seems to sign a national top 10 recruit every year. So playing #1 for UCLA as an underclassman is a tough order. Most importantly Remynse won a NCAA team championship last year. She's doing well for herself in my view.
Yeah, its just that when she was 13 or so, I thought she had tour potential. BTW, is the tyrannical Stella Sampras (yes, Pistol Pete's sister - who made Megan Bradley play despite a shoulder injury that should have sidelined her, leading Meg to transfer to Miami the next year) still the Bruins' coach?

tucker1989
Aug 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Yeah, its just that when she was 13 or so, I thought she had tour potential. BTW, is the tyrannical Stella Sampras (yes, Pistol Pete's sister - who made Megan Bradley play despite a shoulder injury that should have sidelined her, leading Meg to transfer to Miami the next year) still the Bruins' coach?

Yeah, she is such a polarizing personality it seems

Tennisace
Aug 24th, 2008, 01:14 AM
The rumor is Julia Cohen has transferred from Florida to Miami.

That would be two transfers from Florida (Borsanyi to Baylor).

Tennisace
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Due to Cohen and Borsanyi's departure, Florida only has 5 players on the roster, they will have at least 6 in January when Jessica Alexander joins the team. I assume another International player will also join Florida as well.

gouci
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:38 PM
1. Add another slot to Northwestern because Suzanne Matzenauer transferred from Northwestern to Cal Poly SLO.

2. Clemson signed Josipa Bek of Croatia.

3. Miami signed Gabriela Mejia of Colombia.

Signings notes

1. Cal State Northridge signed Eugenia Vertesheva of Russia and Nigora Sirojiddinova of Uzbekistan.
2. Alabama signed Alice Tunaru of Romania.
3. Arkansas signed Ekaterina Lukomskaya of Belarus.
4. Fresno State signed Abigail Olivier of South Africa and Laura Pola of Canada.
5. Hawaii signed Ellen Linsenbolz of Germany

form
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Fresno State = Loaded .. might win the whole thing with those two additions slotted at # 5 and # 6... returned 1-4...

gouci
Sep 9th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Transfer Notes

1. Lina Xu transferred from Jacksonville to Washington.

gouci
Sep 16th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Lauren Megale transferred from Arizona State to Boise State.

form
Sep 16th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Interesting, nice catch

Was a 2007 5* # 20 in national class...

The 20th rated player from 2007 HS class could not make line up of 5th place Pac 10 team (a top 25 team nationally).

gouci
Sep 21st, 2008, 06:14 PM
Transfer Notes

1. Jane Pringle transferred from Texas to Loyola Marymount.
2. Katie Orletsky transferred from Arizona to Central Florida.

gouci
Sep 27th, 2008, 02:47 AM
UCLA adds freshman Lauren Barto to their roster. Anyone know who she is? She doesn't even have a profile at tennisrecruiting.net

On occasion kids who have no business playing for a school but who have VIP parents, gets into a university through the side door as a walk-on athlete. A controversial example of this happened with Steve Lavin, former men's basketball coach at UCLA. He let the son of Gary McKnight, the coach for Mater Dei High School a national basketball powerhouse, into UCLA as a basketball walk-on. McKnight's son wasn't even qualified to be a walk-on as he only played on junior varsity for his high school's team. Shortly after, Lavin and UCLA got a verbal from Cederic Bozeman, a McDonald's All-American guard. It was clear Lavin let the coaches son in as a walk-on into UCLA in exchange for Gary McKnight sending his All-American player UCLA's way. ;)

form
Sep 27th, 2008, 09:15 PM
There are many schools now carrying female players who will never play but

Nothing to do with legacy.

It provides a Title IX head count addition... which is required since they have too many male athletes under the laws

Looks like the school you referenced has four of these... but the girls are pumped because as pseudo-players, they got into the most applied to University in the country. So they are happy too! :bounce:

form
Oct 7th, 2008, 09:06 PM
PEPPERDINE WOMEN?

Roster shows four (3 are scholarships) but somehow they accidentally deleted Barghava (# 1) who just played Rivi last week.

So with just 4 scholarship players right now.... what are they going to field?

Are they recruiting transfers?

Anybody know anything?

gouci
Oct 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Pepperdine was supposed to play in the San Diego St. tournament last weekend. I thought maybe it was a chance to see some of Pepperdine's new players. But I guess Pepperdine pulled out of that tournament the last minute.

I know last year Pepperdine played at the Cal State Fullerton Tournament which is this upcoming weekend. If they don't show up for that tourney then the ITA Regionals is the next chance to see the new players Pepperdine added if any.

Tennisace
Oct 15th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Veronica Li picks up Stanford's last scholarship.