PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Shocker: Dumbledore is gay!

Sally Struthers
Oct 20th, 2007, 06:52 AM
ummmm ok ... :eek:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071020/ap_on_en_ot/books_harry_potter

NEW YORK - Harry Potter fans, the rumors are true: Albus Dumbledore, master wizard and Headmaster of Hogwarts, is gay. J.K. Rowling, author of the mega-selling fantasy series that ended last summer, outed the beloved character Friday night while appearing before a full house at Carnegie Hall.
ADVERTISEMENT

After reading briefly from the final book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," she took questions from audience members.

She was asked by one young fan whether Dumbledore finds "true love."

"Dumbledore is gay," the author responded to gasps and applause.

She then explained that Dumbledore was smitten with rival Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated long ago in a battle between good and bad wizards. "Falling in love can blind us to an extent," Rowling said of Dumbledore's feelings, adding that Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down."

Dumbledore's love, she observed, was his "great tragedy."

"Oh, my god," Rowling concluded with a laugh, "the fan fiction."

Potter readers on fan sites and elsewhere on the Internet have speculated on the sexuality of Dumbledore, noting that he has no close relationship with women and a mysterious, troubled past. And explicit scenes with Dumbledore already have appeared in fan fiction.

Rowling told the audience that while working on the planned sixth Potter film, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," she spotted a reference in the script to a girl who once was of interest to Dumbledore. A note was duly passed to director David Yates, revealing the truth about her character.

Rowling, finishing a brief "Open Book Tour" of the United States, her first tour here since 2000, also said that she regarded her Potter books as a "prolonged argument for tolerance" and urged her fans to "question authority."

Not everyone likes her work, Rowling said, likely referring to Christian groups that have alleged the books promote witchcraft. Her news about Dumbledore, she said, will give them one more reason.

Wigglytuff
Oct 20th, 2007, 06:59 AM
ah, she could of cut out the scenes with them walking around the woods and put that in there, and THAT would have made the 7th book a worthwhile read.

gay dumbly... who knew :yawn:. seriously, glad she cleared that up for whatever its worth now.

venus_rulez
Oct 20th, 2007, 08:38 AM
It makes sense now. No straight person could ever be that clever lol.

Sally Struthers
Oct 20th, 2007, 08:42 AM
upon first reading the book, I thought he and Grindelwald were just friends who shared mutual interests but now it all makes sense and is more like a cheap soap opera plot. I can picture it... Dumbledore and Grindlewald fall for one another and plan to sneak off, but then D's mother dies and he has to go take care of the retarded sister. G doesn't like that and they have a little spat over it which sends G into a tizzy and to the dark arts :haha:

Xanadu11
Oct 20th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I thought everyone kind of knew that? An elderly unmarried man of a certain age with no obvious love-interests. Seems to always be at Hogwarts. Gets buried at Hogwarts. Has no life outside of Hogwarts. He must have been pretty hurt by Grindelwald. Haha.

Dumbledore :inlove:

svetaisthebest
Oct 20th, 2007, 09:34 AM
What !!!!!

Onyxangel
Oct 20th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Not sure why that even remotely matters to the storyline...

CondiLicious
Oct 20th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Was he grooming Harry then?

Ellery
Oct 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM
:shrug: It's sort of random to reveal that now.

Pureracket
Oct 20th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Finally, this pic makes some sense to me:
http://sp1.mm-a6.yimg.com/image/3614633002 (http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Ddumbledore%26toggle%3D1%26cop %3Dmss%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501%26b%3D19%26ni%3D18&w=485&h=729&imgurl=img387.imageshack.us%2Fimg387%2F6770%2Fuhpd umbledore4lu.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmagikpotter.blogtrafic.com%2F&size=129.8kB&name=uhpdumbledore4lu.jpg&p=dumbledore&type=jpeg&no=24&tt=30,313&oid=40dbe40379265a14&ei=UTF-8)

Wigglytuff
Oct 20th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Finally, this pic makes some sense to me:
http://sp1.mm-a6.yimg.com/image/3614633002 (http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Ddumbledore%26toggle%3D1%26cop %3Dmss%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501%26b%3D19%26ni%3D18&w=485&h=729&imgurl=img387.imageshack.us%2Fimg387%2F6770%2Fuhpd umbledore4lu.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmagikpotter.blogtrafic.com%2F&size=129.8kB&name=uhpdumbledore4lu.jpg&p=dumbledore&type=jpeg&no=24&tt=30,313&oid=40dbe40379265a14&ei=UTF-8)

:lol: :lol: :rolls: :haha: :haha: :bolt:

Sam L
Oct 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM
This did cross my mind. I can't say I'm surprised.

doni1212
Oct 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM
That makes sense to me. I was thinking about it before.

Kart
Oct 20th, 2007, 04:01 PM
If you still crave attention now that the story's over JK, write another book.

Direwolf
Oct 20th, 2007, 07:04 PM
pls..
no sex scenes between two old timers..
but i wish that they would have like a
flashback
of dumblebee and his lover
making out

Expat
Oct 20th, 2007, 07:08 PM
wtf
jk rowling sure has a way of burning my ships
i always imagined harry/hermione
draco/ginny
ron/luna
and no one for dumbledore

and i always thought one of the weasley twins was gay

égalité
Oct 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM
YESSSSS. Win.

mckyle.
Oct 20th, 2007, 07:21 PM
That's cool. I've always hated the fact that there were no out characters in Harry Potter. But it makes sense because parents would be flipping out :rolleyes:

Wigglytuff
Oct 20th, 2007, 07:36 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Wigglytuff
Oct 20th, 2007, 07:38 PM
wtf
jk rowling sure has a way of burning my ships
i always imagined harry/hermione
draco/ginny
ron/luna
and no one for dumbledore

and i always thought one of the weasley twins was gay
same here

i still hate that she killed one of them. there were so many others to kill. ginny, mrs. weasley, and others.

LudwigDvorak
Oct 20th, 2007, 07:47 PM
WTF. Snape wasn't evil AND Dumbledore turns up gay?

Life has no meaning in Hogwarts.

Europe rocks
Oct 20th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I think we all knew it really!

Sally Struthers
Oct 20th, 2007, 09:52 PM
next week it's going to be revealed that Lupin was a coke addict and McGonagal moonlights as a hooker at the Leaky Cauldron

Monica_Rules
Oct 20th, 2007, 10:02 PM
^LMAO!

It makes sense now that shes said it. It explains the whole grindelvald thing a bit more why DD was more irrational with him.

Was G gay aswll though.

Zombielicious
Oct 21st, 2007, 01:30 AM
As I read over the chapters about Dumbledore and Grindlewald I kinda thought something might have been going on between them (yeah. Slash lover kinda here) but wow. I didn't think it would actually be true.

I kinda thought him and McGonagall would have a little thing going on...

:inlove:

Edward.
Oct 21st, 2007, 12:44 PM
Dumbledore can't be gay. :fiery:

Kart
Oct 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Maybe she could call it Harry Potter and the Homosexual Headmaster.

Though I suppose it may not be suitable for young children depending on the content.

It might draw in a wider audience though.

Wigglytuff
Oct 21st, 2007, 04:04 PM
Maybe she could call it Harry Potter and the Homosexual Headmaster.

Though I suppose it may not be suitable for young children depending on the content.

It might draw in a wider audience though.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John.
Oct 21st, 2007, 09:56 PM
:eek::speakles:

I was speechless when I read this

NyCPsU
Oct 21st, 2007, 11:34 PM
:tape:

no wonder harry was out of breath every time he looked into the pensieve(sp?) ;)

Olórin
Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
I wish JKR hadn't stated this explicitly. A lot of people obviously had their suspicions, and it's better if the lines are left blurry so that we can come to out own conclusions. A lot of younger children who don't even understand what being gay is, are fans of Harry Potter. I know JKR was asked a question, but there were other ways to respond other than: "oh no, Dumbledore only likes guys." The way JKR wrote Dumbledore, he comes off as asexual anyway. It's appropiate for a character of his stature and gravitas, and it's the same in most fantasy fiction. Do we imagine Gandalf's love interests in Lord of the Rings, were he and Sauron actually lovers? :eek:

It does seem like attention seeking to be honest.

Ellery
Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:56 PM
next week it's going to be revealed that Lupin was a coke addict and McGonagal moonlights as a hooker at the Leaky Cauldron

:haha: :tape:

kabuki
Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
I think it was bold of JK to do it. Subversive acts are always appreciated. I'm sure she wants to sell lots of her encyclopedia she is writing, but honestly at this point I don't think she needs the publicity or marketing help. Good on her.

Sally Struthers
Oct 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
Do we imagine Gandalf's love interests in Lord of the Rings, were he and Sauron actually lovers? :eek:

It does seem like attention seeking to be honest.

While I have not read the books, the Sam and Frodo relationship in the movie was the gayest thing this side of Brokeback Mountain! :tape:

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 22nd, 2007, 03:13 PM
You are all gay...:p

mandy7
Oct 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
So very NOT interesting :lol:.

roarke
Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:32 PM

Thank you. This disclosure was not even remotely necessary.