PDA

View Full Version : why do so many people sport fake Louis Vuitton?

Wigglytuff
Oct 19th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Fake louis vuitton, fake coach, fake chanel. i see it all the time. i just wonder why? what is the benefit of this? is this there something i am missing about the fake stuff?

the really stuff too, makes me :scratch: 1,000$ for a CANVAS bag? but the fake stuff is more confusing IMO, trying to look like you spent 1,000$ on a canvas bag? WTF? please enlighten me.

Williamsser
Oct 19th, 2007, 05:39 AM
They're all made in a Chinese sweatshop factory, brand name or not.

Wigglytuff
Oct 19th, 2007, 05:42 AM
They're all made in a Chinese sweatshop factory, brand name or not.

i believe that is NOT the case with true louis vuitton. i could be wrong though. the website says all this crap about "the best craftsmen ship"

mandy7
Oct 19th, 2007, 06:04 AM
I don't even like the real ones, so i sure as hell won't buy a fake one.
But i really don't get it either.
Fake = :bs: *gross*

Infiniti2001
Oct 19th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Even better, can any woman explain the fascination with designer stuff to me? I'm such a plain Jane who can dress and look good without spending hundreds of $ just to say I am wearing so and so :shrug:

Fingon
Oct 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM
People like to show off. For some people, wearing/using expensive exclusive stuff is important, it makes them feel important because other might believe they are real. It's important that you pay $1,000 for a bag or so.

I don't know if it's still the case, but I remember reading years ago that in Rodeo Drive there were a number of stores that weren't famous or prestigious (e.g. Gucci, Neiman Markus) but they were at Rodeo Drive. They did not sell fake merchandise, they just sold outrageously expensive stuff without the backing of a big brand, only that they were cheaper than the brand names sold there. They were expensive but affordable, the rationale was that people would get a bag with "Rodeo Drive" printed on it. They could go around showing their Rodeo Drive shopping bag, even if it didn't say "Gucci", because people don't know all the expensive and prestigius brand, some would think it was a something really exclusive and the person carrying the bag is rich/famous, it is important for some people.

Pureracket
Oct 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM
In some sick, hilarious, way, I think the actual "fake" ones are the ones more sought after. Seriously, I think the "fake" label is something people like in these bags.

Fingon
Oct 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Even better, can any woman explain the fascination with designer stuff to me? I'm such a plain Jane who can dress and look good without spending hundreds of $ just to say I am wearing so and so :shrug:
I can't understand people's fascination with celebrities and/or rich people either. I give a shit about what Britney Spears does, if I like how she sings, I listens to her songs (I don't, it's just an example) but I don't care if she has alcohol problems or had divorced or whatever, there is more in the news about her than about Darfur, says a lot about people's intelligence level.

That's the fascination with designers' clothes or expensive gold watches, it's like belonging to an exclusive club. In fact, some expensive brands, when they become popular are rejected by celebrities (e.g. burbery).

It's similar to "art", some people goes and watches an ugly painting and cry overwhelmed by emotion because not doing so would show they are "ignorant". I've gone to a Museum and seen a fucking line drawn on the wall and that was listed as art, but I am the ignorant because I don't understand it (this is real, not an example).

There have been ridiculous cases, years ago, a princess, duchess or whatever she was wore two different shoes by mistake, yet, for a short time it became a fashion trend.

I am sure many girls (and older) now don't wear panties because Britney had been caught without them a few times.

Pureracket
Oct 19th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I can't understand people's fascination with celebrities and/or rich people either. I give a shit about what Britney Spears does, if I like how she sings, I listens to her songs (I don't, it's just an example) but I don't care if she has alcohol problems or had divorced or whatever, there is more in the news about her than about Darfur, says a lot about people's intelligence level.

That's the fascination with designers' clothes or expensive gold watches, it's like belonging to an exclusive club. In fact, some expensive brands, when they become popular are rejected by celebrities (e.g. burbery).

It's similar to "art", some people goes and watches an ugly painting and cry overwhelmed by emotion because not doing so would show they are "ignorant". I've gone to a Museum and seen a fucking line drawn on the wall and that was listed as art, but I am the ignorant because I don't understand it (this is real, not an example).

There have been ridiculous cases, years ago, a princess, duchess or whatever she was wore two different shoes by mistake, yet, for a short time it became a fashion trend.

I am sure many girls (and older) now don't wear panties because Britney had been caught without them a few times.It's soooo obvious that you're a Britney Spears fan...:lol:

Wigglytuff
Oct 19th, 2007, 03:04 PM

see this is what gets me...

there ARE some "Brands" that produce quality goods at a reasonable price that ARE worth having:

Levenger for example, amazing stock paper quality and a reasonable price after discounts.

so here is the kicker, these high quality affordable brands (usually less than the price of a "good" fake) are brands that one never sees. WTF?

are people really willing to pay for something lesser just so they can say "i am wear so and so"

really? why? is there some sort of ..something i am not getting.

Kart
Oct 19th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I know nothing about fashion.

Does Louis Vuitton stuff look nice ?

If so maybe they're just trying to get nice looking stuff for less money.

I don't understand women though so I suspect I'm wrong.

sfselesfan
Oct 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I have a Gucci briefcase that I got as a gift, but it's simple black leather and only says "Gucci" in small letters on the buckle (you'd have to look VERY close to even see it). I like it a lot, well made. I think designers who tone down the labels (like Gucci, Prada, or Dolce) are more sophisticated.

I don't understand the whole Louis Vitton thing though. The pattern is ugly, and who wants to be a walking advertisement.

I hate when the brand name is splashed all over something. For instance. I had a black down vest for years (great to ski in). I lost it somehow. I looked everywhere for a replacement. I checked Bloomingdales ($400). I checked North Face, and they had huge labels on them. Puke. I finally went to Old Navy with my mom and there were tons of them in every colorm for $30 bucks. I bought four.

I'll never understand the whole label whore thing. I dated a guy who was into that at one point, years ago, and I couldn't handle it. To me, people into that stuff show a lack of self confidence.

SF

-Ph51-
Oct 19th, 2007, 06:12 PM
because you have snobs with money and snobs without money.:devil:

hingisGOAT
Oct 19th, 2007, 07:05 PM

you're a low-class low-roller, baby. YOU might think your wal-mart t-shirt looks *fabulous!*, but the more well-versed will disagree :)

hingisGOAT
Oct 19th, 2007, 07:08 PM
and is this concept really so hard to understand? :weirdo: louis vuitton, coach etc. have a higher brand equity than almost anything else and more people find such designer items alluring. everyone wants to look the best they can possibly look... and if they can't afford a real louis bag or whatever, a believable fake is the next best thing.

Helen Lawson
Oct 19th, 2007, 07:13 PM
People like to show off. For some people, wearing/using expensive exclusive stuff is important, it makes them feel important because other might believe they are real. It's important that you pay $1,000 for a bag or so.

I don't know if it's still the case, but I remember reading years ago that in Rodeo Drive there were a number of stores that weren't famous or prestigious (e.g. Gucci, Neiman Markus) but they were at Rodeo Drive. They did not sell fake merchandise, they just sold outrageously expensive stuff without the backing of a big brand, only that they were cheaper than the brand names sold there. They were expensive but affordable, the rationale was that people would get a bag with "Rodeo Drive" printed on it. They could go around showing their Rodeo Drive shopping bag, even if it didn't say "Gucci", because people don't know all the expensive and prestigius brand, some would think it was a something really exclusive and the person carrying the bag is rich/famous, it is important for some people.

It's been a while since I've been to Rodeo Drive, but there were a lot of "non-name" expensive stores there, but those "non-names" are big names in L.A. like Fred Heyman and Giogio's, not known to the masses, but known well to LA-types. Their stuff is more expensive than the Gucci and LV stuff. It's like it truly is for the superrich only because the common folk don't know about it, so no one makes knock offs of their products.

If you've ever seen the movie "Body Double" that scene where Craig Wasson is stalking Deborah Shelton at the mall--that is a real mall on Rodeo Drive, the "Beverly Collection." I was there, and lo and behold, in the back behind the atrium, an honest to goodness sex shop. Dildos and dirty magazines!! Right across from the rear of Louis Vuitton. Only in California!!

Sally Struthers
Oct 19th, 2007, 07:24 PM
If you can afford designer things and you like them go for it. I do not like fakes though. Fakes are so tacky and wearing a fake and passing it off as real is just pathetic. :fiery:

Infiniti2001
Oct 19th, 2007, 07:27 PM
you're a low-class low-roller, baby. YOU might think your wal-mart t-shirt looks *fabulous!*, but the more well-versed will disagree :)

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5739/retardyppie3rtgi9.gif

Infiniti2001
Oct 19th, 2007, 07:29 PM
If you can afford designer things and you like them go for it. I do not like fakes though. Fakes are so tacky and wearing a fake and passing it off as real is just pathetic. :fiery:

Word!! :worship: and personally , I have more respect for anyone who shops at Walmart than one walking around with fakes :p

Wigglytuff
Oct 19th, 2007, 07:40 PM

you have failed at life. fine. but must you also fail at message boards as well?

Wigglytuff
Oct 19th, 2007, 08:00 PM
and is this concept really so hard to understand? :weirdo: louis vuitton, coach etc. have a higher brand equity than almost anything else and more people find such designer items alluring. everyone wants to look the best they can possibly look... and if they can't afford a real louis bag or whatever, a believable fake is the next best thing.

see this is where you are wrong. "brand equity" is another way of saying "self loathing poor" people.

IF one can afford well made goods than the reason to buy the best made goods is that they are well made. My glasses are brooks brothers. not because they are that brand but because i looked for the best made glasses within my price range. people with means by things from Brooks Brothers because the quality, and the materials are unmatched. there is nothing wrong with getting something because it is the best of that something you can get.

let us be clear, i DO understand people wanting to get the best made goods from the best materials (i.e. not canvas). LV is different because most of it is canvas. canvas. full-grain aniline leather yes. i can see that. but canvas. what gives.

brand equity is for poor people without the sense to look for the best they can afford. it's people with 300$ shoes but no health care and no savings.

it is hard to understand why otherwise intelligent persons (unlike yourself) would fall into this trap.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Oct 19th, 2007, 08:12 PM
i sadly am a label whore-i buy cheap stuff as well but i am willing to pay stupid amounts of money for a label. im materialistic-i cant help it!

i dont buy fakes, whats the point-theyre poor quality

i wouldnt put having branded goods above healthcare and whatnot thats just stupid.

Williamsser
Oct 19th, 2007, 10:08 PM
i believe that is NOT the case with true louis vuitton. i could be wrong though. the website says all this crap about "the best craftsmen ship"

You're right about Louis Vutton. I know that Coach is made in China though. I saw a $600 Coach purse at Macy's that said Made in China.

Prada is considering outsourcing to China, according to the following article.

Prada ponders outsourcing to China

By Adam Jones in Shanghai

Prada, one of the world's leading fashion houses, could move production of some less exclusive products out of its native Italy to cheaper factories abroad in countries such as China.
Patrizio Bertelli, chairman and chief executive, revealed at the first Financial Times Business of Luxury summit that Prada was in the early stages of evaluating the benefits of partial outsourcing - still a taboo for some in the luxury goods industry.

He also argued against a protectionist response to rising Chinese textile exports to the US and Europe. It did not make sense, he said, to build a "great wall" against Chinese-made clothing.
The US has reimposed restrictions on some types of Chinese textiles since a big increase in imports followed the abolition of worldwide quotas on January 1.
European retailers and clothing brands have expressed increasing alarm at the possibility that the EU, under pressure from France and Italy, might follow the US lead.
"I believe China should be seen as a major opportunity for all our businesses - including Italian businesses - and not as a threat to our work," said Mr Bertelli.
Luxury goods groups such as Prada are flocking to China to sell to its newly wealthy elite. Prada currently makes all of its clothes and accessories in Italy. About 40 per cent of this production is in Prada- owned facilities; the rest is handled by external Italian partners under close supervision by Prada.
Mr Bertelli said it made "perfect sense" in cost terms to manufacture high-volume luxury goods outside Italy, either in a cheaper Mediterranean country or further afield. That would not necessarily hamper either the quality or perceived quality of a brand, he said.
However, Mr Bertelli said the general movement of some production to lower-cost markets should not trigger a "religious war".
He predicted that over the next 10 years, Italy would "simply not have enough labour to manufacture everything that the market requires".
He outlined a potential system where the declaration "made by Prada" would suffice if the garment was made outside Italy, while keeping "made in Italy" for domestic production.
In an interview with the Financial Times, Mr Bertelli explained that his unusually direct public comments were an attempt to "throw a stone in the water" on a topic on which many in the industry preferred to remain reticent.
He stressed that most Prada production was certain to remain in Italy: "We are currently evaluating a series of opportunities. We haven't finalised decisions yet." But he highlighted sports and leisure wear as areas where Chinese manufacturing was good quality.
However, Umberto Angeloni, the chief executive of Brioni Roman Style, the Italian tailor, articulated the opposition of some quarters of the luxury goods industry to the outsourcing of production to lower-cost countries.
He said many newly rich consumers of luxury goods were particularly wary of such changes. A product's origin was "a basic element of the dream factor" for such a consumer, he argued.
If there were a shortage of Italian tailors, Mr Angeloni said he would prefer to bring Chinese tailors to Italy and train them to work there rather than move production to China itself.

hingisGOAT
Oct 19th, 2007, 11:10 PM
broken english

look, i understand you want to burn designer bras all day long. but that's just about the only thing i've learned from this thread.

njnetswill
Oct 20th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Being in the Asian-American community, whenever I see an Asian woman with a Louis Vuitton bag, I automatically assume it is fake.

It's a sad biproduct of the East Asian addiction to flaunting wealth while also remaining (especially the older ones from Mainland China) cheap.

No Name Face
Oct 20th, 2007, 01:00 AM
don't care about labels.
i buy what i like, no matter how cheap/expensive it is.
that's just the way it is.

Wigglytuff
Oct 20th, 2007, 02:55 AM
You're right about Louis Vutton. I know that Coach is made in China though. I saw a $600 Coach purse at Macy's that said Made in China.

Prada is considering outsourcing to China, according to the following article.

Prada ponders outsourcing to China

By Adam Jones in Shanghai

Prada, one of the world's leading fashion houses, could move production of some less exclusive products out of its native Italy to cheaper factories abroad in countries such as China.
Patrizio Bertelli, chairman and chief executive, revealed at the first Financial Times Business of Luxury summit that Prada was in the early stages of evaluating the benefits of partial outsourcing - still a taboo for some in the luxury goods industry.

He also argued against a protectionist response to rising Chinese textile exports to the US and Europe. It did not make sense, he said, to build a "great wall" against Chinese-made clothing.
The US has reimposed restrictions on some types of Chinese textiles since a big increase in imports followed the abolition of worldwide quotas on January 1.
European retailers and clothing brands have expressed increasing alarm at the possibility that the EU, under pressure from France and Italy, might follow the US lead.
"I believe China should be seen as a major opportunity for all our businesses - including Italian businesses - and not as a threat to our work," said Mr Bertelli.
Luxury goods groups such as Prada are flocking to China to sell to its newly wealthy elite. Prada currently makes all of its clothes and accessories in Italy. About 40 per cent of this production is in Prada- owned facilities; the rest is handled by external Italian partners under close supervision by Prada.
Mr Bertelli said it made "perfect sense" in cost terms to manufacture high-volume luxury goods outside Italy, either in a cheaper Mediterranean country or further afield. That would not necessarily hamper either the quality or perceived quality of a brand, he said.
However, Mr Bertelli said the general movement of some production to lower-cost markets should not trigger a "religious war".
He predicted that over the next 10 years, Italy would "simply not have enough labour to manufacture everything that the market requires".
He outlined a potential system where the declaration "made by Prada" would suffice if the garment was made outside Italy, while keeping "made in Italy" for domestic production.
In an interview with the Financial Times, Mr Bertelli explained that his unusually direct public comments were an attempt to "throw a stone in the water" on a topic on which many in the industry preferred to remain reticent.
He stressed that most Prada production was certain to remain in Italy: "We are currently evaluating a series of opportunities. We haven't finalised decisions yet." But he highlighted sports and leisure wear as areas where Chinese manufacturing was good quality.
However, Umberto Angeloni, the chief executive of Brioni Roman Style, the Italian tailor, articulated the opposition of some quarters of the luxury goods industry to the outsourcing of production to lower-cost countries.
He said many newly rich consumers of luxury goods were particularly wary of such changes. A product's origin was "a basic element of the dream factor" for such a consumer, he argued.
If there were a shortage of Italian tailors, Mr Angeloni said he would prefer to bring Chinese tailors to Italy and train them to work there rather than move production to China itself.

dude i saw this woman with a real prada bag today, she was so proud of it. i wanted to tell her that it looked like it came fresh out of payless but i didnt have the heart. lesson... prada bags are ugly. not as ugly as Fendi, but still.

Randy H
Oct 20th, 2007, 03:45 AM
I don't really see the point personally. If I couldn't afford something real but liked a pattern or design, I'd rather go for something similar that was more out of inspiration instead of getting one that was meant to look like a carbon copy and play it off like the real thing.

Wigglytuff
Oct 21st, 2007, 01:01 AM
so no one knows eh?

Dawn Marie
Oct 21st, 2007, 02:05 AM
I think some of the designer bags look good. I personally don't believe in buying bags that are pricey. Maybe because I can't afford them. So I buy knock offs. I LIKE them alot. It makes me feel like I got a bargain.

When I was in New York I bought a bunch of knock offs for my friends and they all loved the purses. It's like we got the real thing but for so much less money.

Many of the purses are really good. They look alot like the real purses. Also it takes talent to do a knock off.

I want a Custo Barcelona top but I may have to get a knock off on EBAY.

Honestly, I really think its the feeling you get. You feel like you got a good deal on an item. When people go shopping we want a bargain.

I would like to add that many designer items are not all that as well. There over priced imho.