PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gone to this tournament?

slk45
Oct 19th, 2007, 02:17 AM
From what I gather searching on the web, the venue is on the U of Laval campus, which doesn't appear to be readily accessible by public transport. Is that right?

Is there transportation other than taxi to the tournament? Are there any inexpensive motels/lodging nearby? Any suggestions as to where to stay?

Tnx.

mat_the_beaver
Oct 19th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Actually, I am living in Quebec city. U Laval is VERY accessible. it's easy, just take bus number 7 or take a taxi, it's not expensive, maximum 30$ for the far hotels.

In Quebec city, we have a lot of Hotel and motel, a lot of price from 45/300$ For a normal hotel near of U Laval- PEPS (sports center). i really think that this hotel is the best:

- hotel universelle (90$), in front of U laval (you can walk and it take like...30 seconds) (10 minuts of the airport) http://www.hoteluniversel.qc.ca/tarifsa.htm it's very nice and clean! and you have a lot of restaurant all around.

you also have the Days Inn (i think you must take a taxi ride) about 95$ http://www.global-reservation.com/daysinnquebec/xhome_en.html a other great place!

If you need more information about the bus, taxi compagny or cheaper place to stay just ask and it's will be a pleasure!

and have a good time in Quebec city!

*** i can't wairt before the tournement ***

drake3781
Oct 19th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Somebody I talked to is staying at a B&B in the old city, and says that it is convenient by bus to the PEPS.

slk45
Oct 19th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the info, Mat. I'll check those out. Hotel Universelle sounds ideal, tho' $45-60 is more in my range. I thought there ought to be good transportation wherever a lot of students are, but I mis-read this statement from http://www.cumc.math.ca/2001/cumc.math.ca/getthere.html tho I see it's 6 years old.
The closest railway station to the university is Sainte-Foy railway station. A cab from Sainte-Foy railway station to Laval’s main campus will cost around 10$. Please note that Laval University is not easily reached using mass transit from the Sainte-Foy railway station.

A few of my players will be at the tournament, including Laura, I'm glad to see.

Hi Mary. Thanks. :wavey:

Drake1980
Oct 19th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Yes the Tournament is very easy to get to by bus. Take either the 800, 801 or 7 and you are right there. I am staying at a B&B in Old Quebec now and if you need a room I could try and swing a deal for you. It is a very nice place and a gorgeous City and a wonderful Tournament. You should come!:D

valexie03
Oct 19th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Yes the Tournament is very easy to get to by bus. Take either the 800, 801 or 7 and you are right there. I am staying at a B&B in Old Quebec now and if you need a room I could try and swing a deal for you. It is a very nice place and a gorgeous City and a wonderful Tournament. You should come!:D

I'm from Quebec City too :wavey: The players are staying at the Loews Le Concorde. There are lots of inexpensive hotels and B&B in that area. Very easy to get to Laval U. from there by public transportation. Also, the Loews area is most popular night spot in Quebec City :cool:

drake3781
Oct 19th, 2007, 10:24 PM

Drake, did you ever find out if the place has high-speed internet?

Drake1980
Oct 20th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Drake, did you ever find out if the place has high-speed internet?

Yes it does!:)

slk45
Oct 20th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks, everybody, for your quick responses! :worship:

¤CharlDa¤
Oct 21st, 2007, 08:56 PM
I'm from Quebec City too :wavey: The players are staying at the Loews Le Concorde. There are lots of inexpensive hotels and B&B in that area. Very easy to get to Laval U. from there by public transportation. Also, the Loews area is most popular night spot in Quebec City :cool:

Hey a fellow Québécois! I'm a Charlesbourgeois de source here, recently moved to Montreal for my studies, but still from Quebec City in my heart.

I'll be able to go to the Bell Challenge only one day this year though probably :sad: In a sense, I kinda chose that too, but I also have a lot of stuff going on with school and also my own tennis events.

*JR*
Oct 21st, 2007, 10:27 PM
Hey a fellow Québécois! I'm a Charlesbourgeois de source here, recently moved to Montreal for my studies, but still from Quebec City in my heart.
You abandoned the lovely Melanie Mahwah? :mad:

valexie03
Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:16 AM
You abandoned the lovely Melanie Mahwah? :mad:

Is she still playing :confused:

mat_the_beaver
Oct 22nd, 2007, 08:20 PM
<

just exhibitions....she works for the sports channel here in Quebec (RDS) she host a show on the sports amateur in general in the province. She is very good !!!:)

Crank
Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:04 PM

I'll be able to go to the Bell Challenge only one day this year though probably :sad: In a sense, I kinda chose that too, but I also have a lot of stuff going on with school and also my own tennis events.

Moi aussi je reste à Charlesbourg tu restais dans quel coin ? Moi je vais surment allé une ou deux fois dans les V.I.P ;) .. Je veux seulement voir Nicole Vaidisova ...

Vincey!
Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
I,m going there too, :rocker2: I'll try to be there for the qualies and some of the night matches, I so hope to see tati, Nicole, Chakky, Domi and Julia, and many other lol

drake3781
Oct 23rd, 2007, 12:14 AM
I am officially *not* going. :(

Have to be at home for some family stuff.

Those going, please look in on Shuai for me! :D

valexie03
Oct 23rd, 2007, 12:52 AM
I am officially *not* going. :(

Have to be at home for some family stuff.

Those going, please look in on Shuai for me! :D

I live in St-Aug (a suburb), I'll go and cheer for Shuai :wavey:

mat_the_beaver
Oct 23rd, 2007, 02:43 AM

I live in st-aug to and i will also cheer for peng ***if she not plays laura***

cheo23
Oct 23rd, 2007, 03:18 AM
I am Going!!! But I do not know how to SPEAK french???? Will this be a problem for me??? I mean Canada is an ENGLISH-speaking country, so why are there people speaking FRench????? :confused:

drake3781
Oct 23rd, 2007, 05:27 AM

I live in st-aug to and i will also cheer for peng ***if she not plays laura***

Thank you both! :kiss:

Jackaboo
Oct 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
I am Going!!! But I do not know how to SPEAK french???? Will this be a problem for me???

It should not be a problem. A lot of people can speak English there, as Quebec City is very touristy. But the main language is indeed French.

I mean Canada is an ENGLISH-speaking country

Canada has 2 official languages: English and French. French is mostly spoken in the province of Quebec, English everywhere else.

so why are there people speaking FRench????? :confused:

Quebec speaks French as it was originally discovered and colonized by France 400 hundred years ago.

Enjoy your trip!

*JR*
Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:44 PM
No, but Mel teaches @ a club there CD used to train @.

slk45
Oct 24th, 2007, 03:49 PM
so why are there people speaking FRench????? :confused:
:lol:
It should not be a problem. A lot of people can speak English there, as Quebec City is very touristy. But the main language is indeed French.
So they won't beat us with a baguette if we don't speak French? :)

I still don't know if I'm going. I wanted to leave Friday, and stay thru Wednesday, but I have some business matters which might prevent me from going. The airline scheduling is just not convenient. It takes 6-7 hours to get there from Minneapolis (incl connection delays). Maybe I could go Saturday. But I'll miss a day of the qualies. :(

Jackaboo
Oct 24th, 2007, 06:28 PM
:lol:
So they won't beat us with a baguette if we don't speak French? :)

No, they'll beat you up with a hockey stick. ;)

valexie03
Oct 24th, 2007, 08:01 PM
No, they'll beat you up with a hockey stick. ;)

You obviously don't know the Québecois, we prefer to throw 'poutine' :drool: :lol:

Vincey!
Oct 24th, 2007, 09:37 PM
You obviously don't know the Québecois, we prefer to throw 'poutine' :drool: :lol:

What!!! :eek: ..Why would we waste a poutine?! :eek:

slk45
Oct 25th, 2007, 04:22 AM
"poutine". Well, I had to look that one up. Here's what I found.
http://members.shaw.ca/kcic1/poutine.html
Sounds :lick: .

Drake1980
Oct 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM
What a beautiful day today in Quebec City. I will go and try to see some of the players practicing today. They should have started arriving.:)

valexie03
Oct 25th, 2007, 05:34 PM
"poutine". Well, I had to look that one up. Here's what I found.
http://members.shaw.ca/kcic1/poutine.html
Sounds :lick: .

It is :wavey:

What a beautiful day today in Quebec City. I will go and try to see some of the players practicing today. They should have started arriving.:)

Absolutely gorgeous day. The players are staying at the Loews Le Concorde.

Crank
Oct 25th, 2007, 07:24 PM
No , Poutine is just the Quebecois who can make !!!

The best of Quebec , http://www.chez-ashton.com/index1.php :drool:

¤CharlDa¤
Oct 25th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Moi aussi je reste à Charlesbourg tu restais dans quel coin ? Moi je vais surment allé une ou deux fois dans les V.I.P ;) .. Je veux seulement voir Nicole Vaidisova ...

Je restais (et reste dans un sens) toujours dans la montagne des roches.

On se connait p-e mieux que l'on croit!