PDA

View Full Version : What does Serena need in order to be greater than she already is?

Lulu.
Oct 18th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Stole this idea from the Venus forum. http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd47/MizzThing809/deuces.gif

I think she needs...

-Olympic gold medal in Singles.

-Mixed Doubles titles at the Australian Open and the French Open.

-A title on green clay. She's won titles on every surface but this one.

Anything else I may have missed? :confused:

RichyRena
Oct 18th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Erm Win every tournament she enters! :D But mainly I think be Number1 Again and just break as many records and set as many as she can.

Watching
Oct 18th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Green clay would be nice but not essential really for me.

If she won the gold medal singles and those mixed titles she would definitely transcend this generation completely (even though she is a great anyway). A second French open singles added to this as well for me would make her unreachable as Greatest player of her generation.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 19th, 2007, 11:51 AM
i think it's just the olympic gold in singles and another FO title....dunno about the green clay cause it doesn't help anything to me (if not roddick should do better on the red clay)....but another title on the dirt leading up to RG wouldn't be bad either :)

Lulu.
Oct 19th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I put the green clay title in there because she hasn't won a title on that surface. Should she win one she will have won a title on every surface there is. I think that would be cool. :p

RichyRena
Oct 19th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Yeah having a title on each surface must be pretty cool. Agreed, the olympic wins is a must and another French Open, Wouldnt mind seeing a few more YEC titles since she has come sooo close in the past.

Olórin
Oct 21st, 2007, 10:44 PM
Another French and another Wimbledon would put Serena right up there imo. She doesn't need to win 22 Slams to be considered a contender for the title of greatest of all time, but she does need to have one last spell of dominance. May it come to pass. :angel:

williamsluva
Oct 24th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Well to become greater than she is yes those mixed doubles titles, plus Gold.

To put her in the talks of the greatest ever (i mean top 3 here cos right now Henin is in contention for her spot, shes already made 2 finals at Wimbledon and was 1 set away from victory both times, Serena made the finals once, I know she shoulda won in 03 but History seems to forget certain things). The greatest achievement would be the Golden Slam Next year, The problem for serena is that I dont think shes is focussing on that as Fedtard and Henin are. You can tell Henin is definatley going for it big time, she knows that nobody can challenge her at the french, she has won the aussie and USO and she didnt lose a set at the USO not even to the sisters, the only players she used to fear on fast courts, And she owns everyone else.

But if the right cards get thrown her way Serena definatley can win Golden Slam PLUS the YEC as the Cherry on top. And What would make her the definitive greatest player of her Generation? Henin in the French Final, Venus in the Wimbledon Final, The best Grass courter and the best Clay courters of their generation, And then she could beat anyone else in the other two although beating henin in aust and US would just make it undeniable!!!

serenus_2k8
Oct 26th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Yeh tbh the only think holding her back is her fitness. If she was able to compete as much as a player like Jankovic, think how much titles she would pick up, especially if she reached the top of her game in each! Hopefully, after saying she wants to be no.1 she will concentrate on getting her fitness up there so she can storm through the competition next season!

Lulu.
Feb 17th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Made this thread a while ago and forgot to update it after Charleston.

She now has titles on every surface. Not super important but nice non the less. :D

At this point another FO is very essential and I feel she really needs another one to further solidify her place as one of the All time greats.

The two Mixed Doubles slams would be nice as well but I can see that as something she does toward the end of her career maybe.

And I don't even know about the OG in Singles. :(

volta
Feb 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM
at this point just another FO, i belive that she can do the slam this year it all depends on the FO and Venus imo cuz Venus is the only one i can see stopping a hungry rena

Galsen
Feb 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
in 2012 she'll have Olympics single and this year she needs to win FO

Bounty Hunter
Feb 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Another FO title would be wonderful and another Wimby and another US OPen and another AO and another FO and another Wimby and another US Open.... :lol: I'm friggen greedy, I want her to have it ALL!!

OK, time to take my meds.. :lol:

topi11
Feb 17th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Another FO title would be wonderful and another Wimby and another US OPen and another AO and another FO and another Wimby and another US Open.... :lol: I'm friggen greedy, I want her to have it ALL!!

it's all possible. She can do it, but she must play in that outfit from your avatar. I miss her ass...;)

Serena's Hubby
Feb 18th, 2009, 12:46 AM
At least one more Wimbledon and Roland Garros .. :shrug:

Lulu.
Feb 18th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Yes, she most definitely needs another Wimbledon as well.

Watching
Feb 18th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Slams 9+10 definitely helped her greatness ALOT...next few things on the list are:
-Another French
-Another Wimbledon
-French + Aussie Mixed

After that it's merely about the quantity of grandslams she can get singles and doubles and secondary records like weeks at #1. OG in singles is a possibility in 2012 but unlikely.

Another Serena Slam would send her straight into GOAT discussions IMO but I think I'm hoping for too much...although the potential is always there.

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM

plz do...:hug:

Olórin
Feb 18th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Yep another Wimbledon is almost as important as another French.
You can't be one of THE greatest of all time with only two Wimbledons.
You've gotta have at least the hatrick.

Diesel
Feb 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Slams 9+10 definitely helped her greatness ALOT...next few things on the list are:
-Another French
-Another Wimbledon
-French + Aussie Mixed

After that it's merely about the quantity of grandslams she can get singles and doubles and secondary records like weeks at #1. OG in singles is a possibility in 2012 but unlikely.

Another Serena Slam would send her straight into GOAT discussions IMO but I think I'm hoping for too much...although the potential is always there.

Agreed. The top of my list above everything is another French. After that anything is just extra.

Lulu.
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:20 PM
You can't be one of THE greatest of all time with only two Wimbledons.
You've gotta have at least the hatrick.

Done. :)

Stamp Paid
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I pray every year for her to win Roland Garros again :sad:

Watching
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Roland Garros please !!!!!!!!!!!! and defend Wimbledon :D

Lulu.
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
A second RG title is definitely the most important at this point.

Galsen
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:31 PM
to keep her ranking @ #1 to pass 130 weeks
to win RG again
and to win a lot of MM tournaments

Uranium
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Olympic Gold in Singles
2nd Roland Garros
AO and RG in Mixed.

If she does all that she can really be in tight contention for being the GOAT in my opinion. Oh and YEC and #1 in doubles, but that isn't necessary:p

Olórin
Nov 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Done. :)

Finally! :D

Now as you all say a French is top of the list for 2010, with a spanking of Justine along the way - I wouldn't object to that.

1. French
2. Defend a grand slam or two
3. Triple digit weeks at number one
4. Even more slams
5. win some more tournaments

Vaidisova
Nov 10th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I want to see Serena win RG again also...

darrinbaker00
Nov 11th, 2009, 12:01 AM
What does Serena need in order to be greater than she already is? She needs to keep winning.

Diesel
Nov 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Roland Garros please !!!!!!!!!!!! and defend Wimbledon :D

Win them all :D

Bijoux0021
Nov 11th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Win them all :D
I can see it happening.

The 2009 US Open debacle could turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to her in the long run. I get this feeling that she's not going to take anything on the tennis court for granted anymore. She's going to be super-motivated and mow everyone down.

Lulu.
Jun 4th, 2010, 05:24 PM
100+ weeks at #1 :)

#1 in singles and doubles at the same time. :yeah:

Has now won each GS doubles title at least twice. :D

Olórin
Jun 4th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Another French and another Wimbledon would put Serena right up there imo. She doesn't need to win 22 Slams to be considered a contender for the title of greatest of all time, but she does need to have one last spell of dominance. May it come to pass. :angel:

And so it has :bowdown:

Apart from that pesky clay slam which I don't ever care about anymore Ok I lie, a 2nd French would make a hell of a difference - but what can you do? Olympic Gold in singes - I'm not so bothered. At this point it's really just about keeping winning the slams while she can, get that slam count up.

doni1212
Jun 4th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Yup! Keep getting the slam count up! I want both Wimby and the U.S. now, :rocker2:

edificio
Jun 4th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I'll go the psychological route and say she needs to learn how to stay calm and focused in difficult situations. For example, in the quarters, if she felt less pressure (self-imposed, no doubt), she might have played the important points better, executed better in times of stress, and thereby win more tournaments/slams. Same problem last year at RG (and dare I say it, at USO?). Maybe some yoga for Serena or meditation, though I could see her sneaking a peek around the room.