PDA

View Full Version : Katia Afinogenova Cheering Thread

Warrior
Jul 18th, 2002, 04:56 PM
I've just found out that she is in top 500. Does anyone know her schedule for the rest of the year? Will she try to get in the US Open qualifying? Will she play Kremlin Cup?

Go Katia!

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 18th, 2002, 05:19 PM
She got injured in her last match in Dallas 4 weeks ago :(

No idea where she will be playing but she should have stayed a bit longer in the juniors just for this yr even.

Kremlin Cup i doubt it, she would be out of her depth just right now (maybe 2003)
Her USTA results don't exactly look too good.

the cat
Jul 19th, 2002, 12:03 AM
What kind of injury?

I hope Katia stays healthy and improves by leaps and bounds! :bounce:

Warrior
Jul 19th, 2002, 01:41 AM
Her results can be found here:

http://home17.inet.tele.dk/wta/sp/afin2775.htm

They are not very impressive, but at least she manage to raise her rank to 470.

tenn_ace
Jul 20th, 2002, 04:12 AM
it seems that this girl is overhyped... at least here on this board... and we all know who's done it ;)

Vanity
Jul 20th, 2002, 04:13 AM
I'm sorry to say, but I don't trust anyone that comes out of Rick Macci's camp anymore. ;)

the cat
Jul 20th, 2002, 04:32 AM
tenn_ace, we hardly ever hear about Katia Afinogenova. Who's overhyping her? Can you fill me in? :confused:

Vanity, a rare Queen Vee sighting in Russian Roulette! :eek:
But I have to agree with you about Rick Macci. Whoever told Katia to quit the juniors last year made a mistake. :(

And there was no reason for Katia to sign a 10 year contract with Macci a few years ago. I was shocked when I read that then! :eek: And I'm still shocked about it! :eek: But I hope Katia puts her difficulties behind her and plays some fine tennis.

Udachi Katia! :bounce:

ys
Jul 21st, 2002, 04:08 AM
The cat, I have a question to you, if you wouldn't like to answer, it's OK.
I understand that most of the posters in this forum have an obvious Russian connection. Do you have any specific reasons behind your support for Russian WTA and ATP players?

tenn_ace
Jul 21st, 2002, 11:13 AM
the cat, about a year ago, our dear TBE had some post about Katia being a really good prospect......... that's actually how I learn about her. we even had a thread discussing her future. She IS probably talented, but, even playing lots of tournaments, she still hasn't done what other girls of her age did. I bet it's really discouraging for her........:o

anyhow, good luck Katia!

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 21st, 2002, 11:18 AM
her results haven't matched up, but she still is only 15
nearly all her wins have been in 10K events

once she grows into her body, i'm pretty sure she'll do good.

Not everyone can become really good at 15 or so.

Vanity
Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:10 PM
I was just looking up old threads on Katia, and one poster said that they met her and she said she was "too good" for juniors. Given her coach though, that's not surprising, since I am sure Macci has been blowing up her ego. I wonder if she still thinks that. I hope not, since she hasn't even won a 10K yet, and the competition level in juniors is MUCH higher than that of a 10k event.

the cat
Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:13 AM
ys, I'll gladly answer your question. Up until about 10 years ago, I did not cheer for Russia or the Soviet Union in sporting events. In fact I rooted against Russia. But once the breakup occured, I started to follow Russia and it's athletes closer. I read a New York Times article on Anna Kournikova in February of 1992, about her move from Moscow to Bradenton. In Bradenton, Anna would have the opportunity to train in with the best facilities in the world. She did have have that opprtunity to train under such great conditions in her homeland.

That's when I began to look at the Russian athlete in a different light. I used to see the Russian/Soviet athletes and teams as the so called "bad guys". But once I understood how hard life was for them and nearly all Russians, I changed my views on Russia. I started to view Russians as underdog athletes and Russia as an underdog country.

In the 1980's, I really liked the Swedes! :bounce: Classy and wonderful players! I especially liked Stefan Edberg. And I always rooted for him to beat everyone. Including American players! :eek: And I'm not ahamed to say that I rooted for Sweden over America in the Davis Cup Ties they had. It's only tennis afterall!

After Edberg retired in 1996, I was looking for a new favorite player. And there she was, Anna Kournikova, making her grand slam debut at the 1996 U.S. Open. At that time I really didn't pay much attention to women's tennis. But Anna changed all that. I even started rooting for Chesnokov and Kafelnikov, too.

In my eyes, the once mighty Russia was now an underdog in the sports world! :eek: And I started to root for Russia in all sports in the World Championships and Olympics. The Cold War was over. My all time favorite sports memeory is the Miracle On Ice at the 1980 Winter Olympics when the underdog American Hockey team pulled off a monumental upset to beat the great Soviet hockey team! :bounce:

But that was then. And this is now. I am quite attracted to Russian history and culture. And I want to see Russia as a country improve it's quality of life in our lifetime! :D Naturally America comes first for me as a country. But I don't mind hoping that Russia has a better future than it seems to have.

I even rooted for Russian athletes and teams in the recent Olympics. I rooted for Irina Slutskaya to become the first Russian woman to win figure skating gold! But she let it slip away, and Sarah Hughes won the gold. I rooted for a Russian over a fellow Long Islander! :eek: And I rooted for the Russian hockey team over the American team. This is only sports. And the Cold War is long over. The Miracle On Ice can never be replace or duplicated! But that was a long time ago. And the once mighty Russian/Soviet spots factory was decimated.

From Kournikova to Kafelnikov to Safin and Dementieva, I root for the Russians first and foremost in tennis. I like them as people, and they a very mediocre tennis history that I want to see developed into something special! :D Naturally I like Kournikova, Dementieva and Sharapova the most. Safin drives me crazy! But I really like the big guy! :)

I generally like Russian athletes. Pavel Bure is a favorite of mine. Sergei Fedorov, too. And a number of Track and Field athletes, too. And Wrestling great Alexander Karolin might be the most impressive champion athlete and person that I have ever seen! :D

And I like Russian models, too! I think they should being doing better as a country producing top Fashion Models. I mean Russian women are quite beautiful! Yet small countries like the Czech Republic and Slovakia produce more top models than Russia does. And that perplexes me.

And I rooted for Miss Russia to bw the first Russian women to win the Miss Universe Pageant. And she did!

The fact is ys, I enjoy rooting for Russian athletes! And Russia as a country. Fifteen years ago I never thought this would have been possible! But it has happened. In my eyes, Russia is now an underdog country in alot of trouble ecenomically and healthwise. I hope the situation improves. But unfortunaltely that's not likely anytime soon.

One of my favorite Russian athletes is Elena Zamolodchikova. I rooted for her so hard in the 2000 Sydney Olympics. And when she didn't come through for Russia in the Gymnastics team competition, I wanted to cry for her because her Father had died earlier in the year. But then she came through to win 2 indivdual Gymnastics gold medals for Russia. I was so happy for her!

I don't know if I made myself clear. I have had 2 glasses of White Wine tonight! ;) But I tried to express myself intelligently and coherently.

Inetresting question ys. I hope I gave a good answer!

P.S. - I hope Rick Macci has not hurt Katia Afinogenova's career! :eek: Whoever told her to quit the juniors made a big mistake! :mad: I hope Katia can recover from that.

ys
Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:32 AM
Thanks, the cat..

My all time favorite spots memeory is the Miracle On Ice at the 1980 Winter Olympics when the underdog American Hockey team pulled off a monumental upset to beat the great Soviet hockey team!

Recently I had a flight to Rockies on the wonderful New-York airline named Jetblue. And during the flight one of the channels available onboard replayed that match. You know, it was surprising to see it again. And it left me absolutely sure that the match was actually fixed. The difference in class in this match was so vast, you could see that it is a superclass team skating against a very mediocre team. USSR could score at every attack they made, they were so fast, they were circling around Americans, toying with them. Yet they lost, conceding a goal almost each time Amercans crossed the centre line. There could be a lot of reasons to fix that match and I am pretty convinced that it could well be the case.

the cat
Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:41 AM
Come on ys! :( After my heartfelt reply, I was astonished to read that you think the Miracle On Ice game might have been fixed. Preposterous! Slava Fetisov says that loss still bothers him 22 years later! :sad: The USSR coach pulled the great Tretiak in that game. And that upset thr Soviet team a great deal. The coach panicked and the team lost to a very opprtune American team. That's how I will always look at it.

Who caoched that game for the USSR? Do you remember ys? Because I'm not sure if it was Tikhinov or not.

And if that game was fixed, why wasn't the gold medal game against Finland fixed? The Finns led by a goal going into the third period. The U.S. Team was fortunate not to have a letdown and let the gold medal slipaway. It almost happened! :eek:

ys
Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:54 AM
Slava Fetisov says that loss still bothers him 22 years later!

It is not necessary for every player to be involved in the fix. Defenders are the least important players in this case. You need keeper, and you need forwards to miss on their chances..

Who caoched that game for the USSR?

Of course, it was Tikhonov. He took over Russian team in 1978.

why wasn't the gold medal game against Finland fixed?

You can't fix the whole tournament. But you can fix the most important match. You see, it was indeed a Miracle. For that to happen I would expect Soviets to play poor. But they didn't. In fact, they were flying. For that to happen I would expect Americans to play way over their head. But they didn't too. They played that mediocre brand of hockey that they played all tournament. Kharlamov had no problems squeezing the puck between the feet of US defenders, but he was missing the open net. Tretiak looked like a rookie. Interesting, isn't it? Yes, they pulled Tretiak, but how do you know that it was not a part of the fix plan? You believe that Tikhonov, who never panicked, would panick against the team that his team was easily outskating? Something just didn't feel right. If you have a chance, watch it again. It is like if Venus Williams would lose to Panova. It could possibly happen, but not in the semis or finals of US Open.

the cat
Jul 23rd, 2002, 01:22 AM
Just give the American team its just due ys! But you won't. Not even 22 years later! :eek: The American team was better that night because their Goaltender outplayed the Soviet Goalie. That's hockey! And you know that.

ys
Jul 23rd, 2002, 01:36 AM
Keep believing your fairy tales, the cat.. Or watch the match again..:)

the cat
Jul 23rd, 2002, 01:43 AM
What match? It was a game! ;) The better team won that night! :eek: It's time to turn the page ys!

Goodnight! :wavey:

tenn_ace
Jul 23rd, 2002, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Vanity
I was just looking up old threads on Katia, and one poster said that they met her and she said she was "too good" for juniors.

and I wonder who that poster was ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:28 PM
Katia's back :)
and she won her 1st match as well :)

6-1 3-1 rtd

go Katya go :)
she's now 16 yrs old as well.

Warrior
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:00 PM
Nice to see her back. Where is she playing?

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:35 PM
Miami $10K
she plays Jackie Trail today

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Katia lost to Jackie :sad: :sad: :(
4-6 2-6

Gowza
Jan 30th, 2003, 05:28 AM
when is katia next playing?

Gowza
Feb 22nd, 2003, 10:38 PM
Afinogenova def. Van Horne 6-2 6-3 in Scottsdale a tier 2 wta event!!!

her first participation in a wta event and she wins her first match.

the cat
Feb 23rd, 2003, 06:48 PM
I think there is still time for her to fulfill her promise. Udachi Katia! :bounce:

Gowza
Feb 23rd, 2003, 10:53 PM
Virginie RAZZANO (FRA) def. Katia AFINOGENOVA (RUS) 6-3 2-6 6-1

bad luck but katia must have been playing pretty well to take an in-form razzano to 3 sets a top 70 player.

that second set score is surprising. 6-2 is a very positive sign for katia. at the age she is she can already compete with top 70 players and give them a good thrashing

Gowza
Feb 24th, 2003, 11:17 PM
where will katia be ranked next week?

Gowza
Mar 10th, 2003, 05:20 AM
she won her first 2 matches in the miami pre-qualifying event.

1st round: Katia Afinogenova d. Caren Seenauth 6-2 6-0

2nd round: Katia Afinogenova d. Lioudmila Skavronskia 6-4 6-2

3rd round she faces Julie Ditty.

good luck katia.

Warrior
Mar 10th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Good luck Katia! :bounce:

Gowza
Mar 12th, 2003, 02:16 AM
unfortunately katia lost to ditty in the pre-qualifying event for miami

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 12th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Katya :sad: :(

Gowza
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:32 AM
what is katia's next tournament?

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 22nd, 2003, 02:54 PM
Katya's been in Europe for last few weeks

she qualified but lost to a seed last week in Monteroni (ITA)

she's qualified again for $10k Ancona
good luck in 1st rd vs Ying Yu

go Katya go !!!!!!!!!

KV
Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:36 PM
Yeah, go Katya

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 25th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Katya bt 2nd seed Leanne Baker 2-6 7-6(1) 6-1 :woohoo: :D :yeah:

go Katya go :) ;)

KV
Jul 25th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Katya :bounce:

Gowza
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:35 AM
any idea where katia is playing next?

Gowza
Mar 30th, 2004, 01:17 AM
well i thought i'd never see this day but katia is back playing a junior tournament in miami in the girls singles. i hope she plays a few more junir tournaments before embarking on the wta tour again.

goldenlox
Mar 30th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Neha Uberoi (USA) vs Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS), tomorrow.

Gowza
Mar 30th, 2004, 10:06 PM
katia lost 6-3 6-3, very disappointing

goldenlox
Mar 30th, 2004, 10:40 PM
I saw Katia on the Tennis Channel. She speaks great English.

Gowza
Apr 1st, 2004, 06:04 AM
does anyone know if katia is going tpo play some more junior events? and besides that where is she playing next?

Gowza
May 4th, 2004, 12:51 AM
whats happening with katia? is she playing pro's? is she playing juniors? is she playing both? when was the last time she played?

Gowza
May 4th, 2004, 01:20 AM
she last played a pro event in feb boca raton a 10k which she qualified into and lost in the quarter-finals. i guess thats the last time she played? is she injured?

Gowza
May 20th, 2004, 11:51 PM
katia is playing in the main draw in el paso and won her first round match! Ekaterina Afinogenova RUS d. wc-Adina Neustein USA 6-2 6-1

nice win katia! she next plays qualifier Liberty Sveke. go katia!

Gowza
May 21st, 2004, 11:44 AM
katia won her 2nd match! Katia Afinogenova RUS d. (Q)Liberty Sveke USA 6-2, 6-3
nice win katia! cindy watson in the next match good luck katia!

Jodie
May 23rd, 2004, 12:05 PM
Katia lost to Cindy Watson :sad:

Warrior
May 23rd, 2004, 03:49 PM
She needs a new coach

tenn_ace
May 24th, 2004, 02:06 AM
as much as it was dissapointing, she did lose to an eventual winner of the tournament...

Gowza
Jun 6th, 2004, 05:41 AM
how tall is katia now? she use to be quite short, has she grown much?

Gowza
Jun 7th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Anne Mall (USA) def. (10)Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS) 6-0, 6-2

losing like that in the first round of a 25k challenger is very poor, when will katia show her true potential? it's really sad to watch young players doing so poorly when they have so much talent.

- L i n a -
Jun 7th, 2004, 06:25 AM
http://wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=3597551&postcount=58

There is a pic of Katya in Hilton Head.

No offense, but she is fat.

Gowza
Jun 7th, 2004, 08:12 AM
how do you call that fat lol. she looks like she has a solid build but she has a pretty flat stomach, big legs and arms though.

goldenlox
Jun 15th, 2004, 03:47 AM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/ten/2001/0525/photo/i_afingenova_i.jpgBloodlines -- her mother was a Russian track star and her brother plays for the Buffalo Sabres -- made Rick Macci want to coach Katia Afinogenova.Answering the call
Three years ago the phone rang at Rick Macci's tennis center in Pompano Beach, Fla. It was the agent for Buffalo Sabres winger Maxim Afinogenov. He wondered if Macci would consider tutoring Maxim's little sister, Katia Afinogenova.

Macci sighed. He gets "hundreds" of these calls all the time. But when the agent said that Katia's mother was a seven-time Russian 800-meter champion, Macci suspended his disbelief. A student of genetics, Macci factored in the family success in track and hockey and promptly said yes.

"Everybody has a flavor of the month," Macci said. "But being the best in your state or best in your country doesn't mean stardom. This sounded different. I said, 'Can you get a ticket tomorrow?' "

Last year Macci signed Afinogenova, then 13, to a 10-year contract that guarantees him a percentage of her future winnings. There are bonuses and paybacks when she turns pro, but Macci is betting hundreds of thousands of dollars of his own money that Afinogenova is going to be a player.

"I took a chance with Venus and Serena and Capriati," Macci said. "Katia has a chance to succeed at their level."

Warrior
Jul 6th, 2004, 08:29 PM
What is her schedule for the rest of the summer?

Gowza
Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:31 AM
not sure about her schedule but katia is currently playing the $10k ancona, italy event. she won her first match and now plays ivanova, ivanova took out the first seed in straight sets but hopefully katia can take advantage of the opening up of this draw.

good luck in the next round katia!

Kutuzova
Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:30 PM
Go Katia!

the cat
Jul 29th, 2004, 06:27 PM
What happend to Katia in her match against Ivanova who is having a brilliant year?

Gowza
Jul 30th, 2004, 12:30 AM
katia lost and ivanova made it to the final but lost to ancic.

Iphigenia
Aug 31st, 2004, 11:26 PM
wow, I was looking up names of tennis players I used to go to school with, and Katia seems to be doing pretty well. I went to Katia's school (I graduated already). I didn't really know her, we were in different grades, but she was very snobby and not very nice. She had a couple of friends and was just pretty rude to everyone else. Well, that's when she was actually in school. She was hardly ever in school, so the teachers didn't like her very much. Well, that, and she had a very smart mouth. Oh, well, good luck to her anyways :)

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:30 PM
Katya's having a good few weeks ;) finally :)

lasy week a QF in 25k Ashland (lost to Salerni)

and this week into r2 of 25k Tunica Resorts
she plays top seed Kelly McCain today

good luck Katya :)

KV
Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:43 PM
Pleasant surprise. Good Katya, looks like finally she's on the up. Good luck vs. Mccain you have the potential to cause the upset.

Gowza
Sep 23rd, 2004, 11:19 PM
good luck katia!

clonesheep
Sep 24th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Isn't Katia's brother Dementieva's boyfriend?

Kutuzova
Sep 24th, 2004, 12:36 AM
She has been playing better lately. She still has time. She has the talent to be top 50.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:31 PM
I didn't know Katia was Maxim's brother. Maxim plays hockey in my home town, he's a talented guy.

She's not ;) she's his sister :angel:

Katya plays 25k qualies in Birmingham
final rd vs Kristina Czafikova
good luck Katya ;)

goldenlox
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:03 PM
He hangs out with Dementieva.

KV
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Katya on the up little by little. From Qual into second round. About a win away from the top 500. Soon she's seen the back of the AER. Think she'll have a Nina like season next year. :D :D

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:56 AM
another good result :)

Katya won her 2nd rd 64 46 63 :yeah: ;)
another QF in a 25k :)

Chunchun
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:15 PM
Afinogenova?!?!?! :bolt:

Maxim's sister!!!!!! :bounce:

Gowza
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:04 PM
good work katia!

KV
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:15 PM
Well done in making it to the QF's. About to enter the top 500. :D

Kutuzova
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:14 PM
She lost to Zemenova, not sure about the score. I thought she could win this match but good job on making the quarters

Gowza
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:51 AM
unfortunate katia. but she is getting wins consistently which is a big step up from last year. keep at it katia!

Kutuzova
Oct 30th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Katya is playing The Bell Challenge Tier 3 Qualifying. It is great to see her playing a WTA event.

1st rd. vs. Shikha Uberoi

Kutuzova
Oct 31st, 2004, 01:54 AM
Katya lost 5-7 6-3 7-6(5)
it is a great result and she has really shown some solid and much improved tennis lately
I think next year will be a breakthrough year for her.
She has the talent to be top 100

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 29th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Katya won her 1st rd quali match in Palm Beach Gardens ($50k)
beating Anna Bastrikova 61 75 :) :yeah:

well done Katya, good luck in 2nd match vs Audra Cohen

KV
Nov 29th, 2004, 05:31 PM
She's slightly improving, if she keeps improving like the past months. She may be predicted to play the US-Open Qual. Think next season she'll have a Nina/Katya B. like season or even better. :D

KV
Nov 30th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Won her 2nd Qual round as well 6-4 6-4. That's what's needed the most. Go Katya get better and better results. :D :)

KV
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:00 PM
Made it to the Main Draw. Very comfortable win vs. C. Wheeler. Good to beat a higher ranked player. :D She's getting closer to the top 400.
In the Main Draw she got the worst draw vs. Sesil K.

the cat
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:53 PM
Udachi Katia! :D She's starting to play like a solid professional tennis player.

Kutuzova
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:14 AM
She really has stepped up her play the last few months. It is great because she has TONS of talent. Has the talent of a Sharapova/Vaidisova

Kutuzova
Dec 5th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Katya lost to Sesil 6-2 6-1, but that was a very tough match. Just qualifying was very good. She now will play the USTA International Winter Champiionships G1 Junior Tournament. She is in the qualifying but with the way she has been playing I think she is a threat to win the entire thing! Good Luck Katya!!!!!!

Daniel
Dec 6th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Thanks Kutuzova :)

ekaterina
Dec 6th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Katya lost to #4 Shulaeva 7-6(6) 3-6 2-6 in the final qualifying round :sad: :crying2:

Kutuzova
Dec 6th, 2004, 11:19 PM
really bad loss

Gowza
Dec 18th, 2004, 01:37 AM
she picked up her play this year, looking for a good year next year!

Kutuzova
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Katya is playing in Napoli Italy this week. She is seeded 8th and has only lost two games in her 1st 2 rounds! She will play a qualifier in the QF. GO KATYA! Take this tourney!

Gowza
Mar 13th, 2005, 08:50 PM
lost in the semis to Anna Floris 3-6 4-6

KV
Mar 13th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Though she's 8th seeded pretty disappointing loss.

Kutuzova
Jun 4th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Katya is in the semis of a 10k this week and she will be playing a 25k next week where i will be able to go and watch her. Hopefully she is getting her game to a new level and will soon be among the players that she should be with!

Kutuzova
Jun 5th, 2005, 04:34 PM
She is the final def. Fink 6-2 6-2 and she will play Ansley Cargill. Go Katya!

KV
Jun 5th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Good luck in the final. Show made you're made of. Show some bottle.

Foot's Fingers
Nov 1st, 2006, 09:39 AM
seems as Katya struggles in 400-700 ranking all forgot abt her

she reached final at $25k last week losing to Edina

nice run for Katya

KV
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:48 PM
Finally good news that's much better on rec. performance did well to reach the final :)

Kutuzova
Nov 1st, 2006, 01:15 PM
Great Job Katia...finally the results that are expected out of you!!!!

the cat
Nov 1st, 2006, 05:23 PM
Hopefully Katia will find herself and her game the way Olga Poutchkova has recently.

Foot's Fingers
Nov 6th, 2006, 01:29 PM
she rises from 447 to new Career-High Singles No. 353 (November 6, 2006)

Congrats!!!

Foot's Fingers
Nov 6th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Career-High Doubles No. 485 (November 6, 2006) as well ;)

RR-87
Nov 6th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Katya :yeah:

Foot's Fingers
Nov 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
$75,000 Pittsburgh:

(1)Rossana De Los Rios (PAR) v Kimberly Couts (USA)
Susanna Lingman (USA) v Alana Van Der Vort (USA)
Alexandra Mueller (USA) v Tiya Rolle (USA)
(5)Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS) v Jacqueline Bohannon (USA)

first match won easly

KV
Nov 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Good luck Katya

KV
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:54 PM
According to one poster in Pittsburgh Challenger, Katya advanced to the next Qual round. :)

Foot's Fingers
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Lingman d. (1)De Los Rios 63 26 63
(5)Afinogenova d. Mueller 61 64

SO as Rossana lost mmore easly way to MD

Take yr chance Katya!!!

Foot's Fingers
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:00 AM
doubles MD:

(3)Ditty/Luzhanska (USA/UKR) v Czink/Spears (HUN/USA)
Afinogenova/Magley (RUS/USA) v Inoue/Osterloh (USA)

Foot's Fingers
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Katya in Main draw!!!

Will plaay vs Sucha

Foot's Fingers
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM
plus won first rnd in doubles

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 8th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Katya........... she's really improved a bit ;)
good luck in MD now

KV
Nov 8th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Well done to make M.D. :)

Foot's Fingers
Nov 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM
lost to Sucha in 3 sets :sad:

KV
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:56 PM
The good thing Katya's finally improving. :) Did well to take a set off M. Sucha.

Foot's Fingers
Nov 28th, 2006, 12:53 PM
San Diego 50k draw for Katya

1 WOZNIAK Aleksandra CAN vs 374 BARTENSTEIN Anna AUT
314 JOZAMI Bettina ARG vs WC 749 TAN Stacey USA
351 AFINOGENOVA Ekaterina RUS vs 337 SCHEEPERS Chanelle RSA
238 KLEYBANOVA Alisa RUS vs 214 8 LIGGAN Kelly IRL

Doubles draw:

DITTY JULIE USA / SPEARS ABIGAIL USA vs AFINOGENOVA EKATERINA RUS /KLEYBANOVA ALISA RUS

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:40 PM
good luck Katya !!!!!!

KV
Nov 28th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Good luck vs. C. Sheepers just keep improving.

Привет
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Hopefully Ekaterina can win this match. I'd really like to see her get a higher ranking, I noticed her a while ago and liked her but thought she was really struggling on the tour.

itzhak
Nov 29th, 2006, 06:18 AM
interesting if she recieved some advises from Elena....

Foot's Fingers
Nov 29th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Katya won 64 61 :)

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:19 AM
:yeah: for Katya !!!!!

KV
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Finding her form, just keep it up and it won't last long before Katya will be playing GS's. :)

Foot's Fingers
Dec 1st, 2006, 06:51 AM
won in 2 sets vs Alisa
and together with Alisa in doubles SF :kiss:

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 1st, 2006, 12:30 PM
Katya finally coming good it seems like
keep going Katya ;) good luck vs #1 seed

KV
Dec 1st, 2006, 02:55 PM
Rather wanted Alisa to win, but happy for Katya. Keep it up and you'll be playing GS's next year. Gotta fancy her chances for US-Open Qual. But no complaints if it happens sooner. Just keep it this kind of form. :)

Foot's Fingers
Jan 29th, 2007, 08:43 AM
As 3 th seeded Katya won first qualifying rnd at $25k Palm Desert

60 60 :banana: over Sundaram

the same start as Lena C :eek:

Kutuzova
Jan 29th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Go Katia..hopefully this match will start your year so you conitnue playing like you did at the end of last year!

KV
Jan 29th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Much better than in her last Challenger, keep it up Katya :)

Foot's Fingers
Jan 30th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Qualifying 2nd round:

Murphy IRL d. 3 Afinogenova RUS 7/6(5) 6/4 :help: :mad: :fiery:

polly
Jan 30th, 2007, 08:39 PM
dont be surprised that katia afinogenova lost to emma murphy because murphy is one of the rising stars of women's tennis. murphy had a stellar college career and she attended the university of san diego. Dont be surprised to see emma in the latter rounds of the main draw

Foot's Fingers
Feb 5th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Singles Qualifying Draw-1st Round ($75k Midland)

Ekaterina Shulaeva (CAN) d. Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS) 63 62

:help: :tape:

Kutuzova
Feb 5th, 2007, 09:36 AM
terrible start to the year for katya

Foot's Fingers
Feb 14th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Fianlly Md match won by Katya

Afinogenova def (WC) Gjine 62 62 at $50k in Canada

Foot's Fingers
Feb 16th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Katya lost in second round to Mathilde Johansson :sad:

Stop in progress again

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 24th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Katya in 1st rd Acapulco qualies

26 76 61 win over Garcia-Sokol :yeah:

Katya :banana:

good luck tomorrow now

RR-87
Feb 25th, 2007, 06:37 AM
well done Katya :)

Kutuzova
Feb 26th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Good Job Katia!!! Keep it up!

Foot's Fingers
Mar 12th, 2007, 02:10 PM
$25k Orange (USA)

Qualifying Draw

(12) Ekaterina AFINOGENOVA (RUS) d. Beatrice CAPRA (USA) 64 63

Next: Ekaterina SHULAEVA (CAN)

KV
Mar 12th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Let's hope for a good challenger go Katya!

Foot's Fingers
Mar 13th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Ekaterina SHULAEVA (CAN) d. (12) Ekaterina AFINOGENOVA (RUS) 60 64

Foot's Fingers
Mar 15th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Doubles:

Fusano/Tsoubanos (USA) d. (Q) Afinogenova/Davydova (RUS) 63 64

Foot's Fingers
Mar 19th, 2007, 10:07 AM
$25k Redding (USA)

QD

(5)Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS) d. Kim-Ahn Nguyen (USA) 60 46 63

KV
Mar 19th, 2007, 05:58 PM
It's something to start with QD win. :)

Foot's Fingers
Mar 21st, 2007, 11:46 AM
lost in QD but get LL spot and won!!!

(LL)Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS) d. (WC)Christina Fusano (USA) 63 16 62

KV
Mar 21st, 2007, 04:17 PM
Made up for it well done Katya :)

Kutuzova
Mar 21st, 2007, 04:48 PM
Good Job Katia...keep it up now!

Foot's Fingers
Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Doubles:

Afinogenova/Davydova (RUS) d. Johansson/Shulaeva (SWE/CAN) 64 62

Kutuzova
Mar 27th, 2007, 01:53 AM
katya made it all the way to the final losing 7-6 in the third to hsieh...what a great week..she received a SE into the 25k draw this week and opens up against mircic...go katya, lets see some consistency and continuing solid tennis!

KV
Apr 1st, 2007, 07:49 PM
Finally good challenger been a success to make final :)

Foot's Fingers
Apr 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM
$25,000 Jackson

Singles Qualifying Draw

(2)Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS) d. Hanna Nooni (SWE) 63 76(9)

Final Round

(2)Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS) d. (16)Ekaterina Shulaeva (CAN) 62 75

Singles Main Draw

(1)Sandra Zahlavova CZE v Valerie Tetreault CAN
Tina Schiechtl GBR v wc Naomi Cavaday GBR

Bettina Jozami ARG v Estefania Craciun URU
(5)Junri Namigata JPN v (Q)Ekaterina Afinogenova RUS

Foot's Fingers
Apr 11th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Doubles Quali

Krauth/Skavronskaia (ARG/RUS) d. (2)Afinogenova/Davydova (RUS) 41 14 41

azmad_88
Apr 11th, 2007, 03:21 PM
i just got to know ur the sister of Max afinogonev

Foot's Fingers
Apr 12th, 2007, 10:10 AM
(Q)Ekaterina Afinogenova RUS d. (5)Junri Namigata JPN 75 75 :woohoo:

azmad_88
Apr 12th, 2007, 10:37 AM
congrats :)

KV
Apr 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Great to bt. the 5th seed as a qualifier. :)

Kutuzova
Apr 12th, 2007, 09:33 PM
great job katia!!

Foot's Fingers
Apr 13th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Jozami def. (Q)Afinogenova 7-6(5), 6-2 :sad:

a lot of Qualifires have passed to QF but not Katya

KV
Apr 16th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Katya won first Qual round of 75 K. Challenger. :) Plays first Qual seed Carly next. Good luck

Foot's Fingers
Apr 17th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Katya beat Carly :banana:

KV
Apr 17th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Didn't expect that. Great performance. :bounce:

Foot's Fingers
Apr 18th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Katya won final match in qulies and now in md

but shitty draw :help: :

Alla Kudryavtseva (RUS) vs (Q) Anna Tatishvili (GEO)
(Q) Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS) vs (2/WC) Shenay Perry (USA)

KV
Apr 18th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Not the best of draws. On the contrary Katya did well to make M.D. :)

Kutuzova
Apr 18th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Come on Katia...you can take her out...just go out with nothing to lose!

Foot's Fingers
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Singles Qualifying Draw $50k:

(2) Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS) d. Ana Veselinovic (SRB) 67(0) 64 60

KV
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Good job done as expected :)

Foot's Fingers
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:32 AM
2nd rnd

(2) Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS) d. Vasilisa Davydova (RUS) 64 20 ret.

Foot's Fingers
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:47 AM
She is in Main draw ;) but draw :help:

(1) Ashley Harkleroad (USA) vs (Q) Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS)

azmad_88
Apr 25th, 2007, 09:46 AM
hopefully she can beat harkleroad

Kutuzova
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:09 PM
come on katia..out hit her!!!

KV
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Terrible first round but major thing done qualified for M.D. :)

Foot's Fingers
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:32 AM
(1) Ashley Harkleroad (USA) d. (Q) Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS) 62 64 :hug:

Foot's Fingers
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Ekat Shulaeva who lost to Katya easly 16 06 in final Qr is in second rnd as LL by beating local WC

draw :mad: :fiery:

RR-87
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Katya :hug:

not bad scoreline with Ashley though :)

Foot's Fingers
May 15th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Katya lost i Rabat QD then moved to Turkey to play in $25k:

Afinogenova def. Koumantou 6:1 4:6 7:6 - close match

but second tournament in one week

TheBoiledEgg
May 15th, 2007, 09:33 AM
2nd tourn in one week is :o
she's gonna get fined and not gain any pts from this tourn as only the lowest pts total count.

still keep going Katya ;)

Kutuzova
May 15th, 2007, 11:27 AM
she actually may not get hurt by it cause the Rabat qualies were technically last week. Hopefully she will be fine. Go Katia..I expect a good result here!

TheBoiledEgg
May 15th, 2007, 12:06 PM
she actually may not get hurt by it cause the Rabat qualies were technically last week. Hopefully she will be fine. Go Katia..I expect a good result here!

qualies and maindraw are counted as same week.
unless its a slam.

Foot's Fingers
May 15th, 2007, 12:14 PM
2nd tourn in one week is :o
she's gonna get fined and not gain any pts from this tourn as only the lowest pts total count.

still keep going Katya ;)

wow :mad:

even so

And how much? no prize money for second tournament ?

KV
May 15th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Anyway Katya reached the QF's, hope it's a good confidence booster. :)

Foot's Fingers
May 16th, 2007, 06:35 AM
in QF :banana:

Foot's Fingers
May 17th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Julia GOERGES (GER) (3) defeated Ekaterina AFINOGENOVA (RUS) 64 46 62 :sad:

Kutuzova
May 19th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Katia won her first round in the qualifying for Istanbul...keep it up and get some points!

TheBoiledEgg
May 20th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Katya bt Dellacqua 64 61 :) :yeah:
a very good win :banana:

one more win to make a maindraw of a WTA event
c'mon Katya

Kutuzova
May 20th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Awesome Job Katya!!! Qualify and do some damage!

KV
May 20th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Safisfying start :)

Foot's Fingers
May 21st, 2007, 02:24 PM
And she is in MD :woohoo: 61 63 win over Mervana JS

TheBoiledEgg
May 21st, 2007, 04:43 PM
great win Katya ;) :kiss:

KV
May 21st, 2007, 04:46 PM
Great Katya qualified for M.D. Istanbul :)

Kutuzova
May 22nd, 2007, 01:58 AM
great job qualifying Katya..the year could really start to get big...1st round vs. Kloesel (def winnable) and then in the 2nd she could face Mirza who is just returning from injury..GO KATYA!

Foot's Fingers
May 22nd, 2007, 07:35 AM
Court 2 (from 10.00hrs)
1. Afinogenova vs. Kloesel

Good Luck!!!

Foot's Fingers
May 22nd, 2007, 09:03 AM
won frist set 63

from 5-1 to 5-7 in second :help:

HAD 0-40 on Sandra's serve at 63 5-1* then one more MP

Great Choke!!!

:fiery:

Foot's Fingers
May 22nd, 2007, 09:44 AM
Katya :woohoo: 63 57 63 :banana:

Was serving for match *5-2 and broken wasted mp again

Then breaks ;)

In second rnd of Tier III :banana:

Foot's Fingers
May 22nd, 2007, 09:44 AM
She overcomed mental collapse :banana:

Mana
May 22nd, 2007, 10:09 AM
Thats a great win. :D

TheBoiledEgg
May 22nd, 2007, 10:39 AM
phew Katya ;) :banana: :) :D
got it together in 3rd

Kutuzova
May 22nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
Katya!!! now up against Meghann

azmad_88
May 22nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Good Luck against Meghann..hopefully u can win that one too!

KV
May 22nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
Great :)

Привет
May 23rd, 2007, 06:22 AM
Well done Katya!

:D

Beat Shaughnessy now!

Foot's Fingers
May 23rd, 2007, 06:28 AM
2 matshec for Katya today:

Court 1 (from 11.00hrs)
1. Afinogenova vs. Shaughnessy
2. Oprandi vs. A.Radwanska
3. Bychkova/Obziler vs. Poutchek/Yakimova
4. Buyukakcay/Ozgen vs. Jugic-Salkic/Oprandi

Court 2 (from 11.00hrs)
1. Castaño vs. Dzehalevich
2. A.Bondarenko vs. Sevastova
3. Castaño/N.Uberoi vs. Afinogenova/Tatishvili

Foot's Fingers
May 23rd, 2007, 09:08 AM
katya lost to Meg 16 36 :sad:

Kutuzova
May 23rd, 2007, 11:26 AM
Katya :sad: but good tourney!

Foot's Fingers
May 23rd, 2007, 02:30 PM
lost in dbls 75 36 4-10

anyway, the best tournament for Ekaterina

KV
May 23rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Anyway good tourney. It's def. on the up.

Foot's Fingers
May 29th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Katya's draw in 25k Moscow

(7)Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS) v Maria Kondratieva (RUS)
Vasilisa Davydova (RUS) v (wc)Arina Rodionova (RUS)

Olga Panova (RUS) v Natalia Orlova (RUS)
(3)Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) v Marina Shamayko (RUS)

azmad_88
May 29th, 2007, 01:57 PM
good luck katya!

KV
May 30th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Won first round comfortably :)

Kutuzova
May 30th, 2007, 11:16 PM
6-4 6-1..good luck in the next round!!!

KV
May 31st, 2007, 04:45 PM
Qualified for QF's. :) Now clash with one of the fav. E. Makarova. Hard to predict Katya's finally on the up.

Foot's Fingers
Jun 1st, 2007, 08:23 AM
Good result!!!

Foot's Fingers
Jun 4th, 2007, 09:25 AM
lost in QF in 3 sets to Katya M

but it was good week

KV
Jun 9th, 2007, 06:23 PM
The recent better news continues. Won her first round Barcelone Qual match in 3 sets vs. C. Klashka :)

KV
Jun 11th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Just failed to make Main Daw retired. But anyhow good tourney.

Juan
Jun 12th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Katia in Barcelona
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/dospordos/temp/afinogenova1.jpg

More pics on
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/dospordos/Fotos%20de%20torneos/WTA%20Barcelona%202007

azmad_88
Jun 12th, 2007, 04:06 PM
thanks for the picture

Kutuzova
Aug 11th, 2007, 10:33 PM
next tourney should be the Bronx qualies...good luck and hope to see you at the open qualies!

Kutuzova
Aug 12th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Katya's section of the Bronx qualies:

(1)Viktoria Kutuzova UKR vs Urszula Radwanska POL
Melanie South GBR vs (wc)Jennifer Elie USA
(wc)Anne Yelsey USA vs Ekaterina Afinogenova RUS
Zsofia Gubacsi HUN vs (8)Yurika Sema JPN

could get tough in the final round with Kutuzova but I think she will be ok till then..go Katya!

Kutuzova
Aug 13th, 2007, 03:51 AM
she beat Yelsey first round 6-1 6-1..great job...Sema up next

KV
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:44 PM
Has more or less made the Gs's with her best ever ranking. :) Good luck at US-Open Qualies. Show what you're made of.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:46 PM
Katya's slam debut ended in defeat to Domachowska :sad: 46 57

someone took a few pics of Katya there

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7365/eafinogenova1nn6.th.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eafinogenova1nn6.jpg)

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/954/eafinogenova2oy2.th.jpg (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eafinogenova2oy2.jpg)

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2962/eafinogenova3eg4.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eafinogenova3eg4.jpg)

Giovanna
Aug 25th, 2007, 01:37 AM
More pics from qualifying:

http://i12.tinypic.com/66ahrbk.jpg
http://i19.tinypic.com/6d19tar.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/6cwzku9.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/4ts51g3.jpg
http://i16.tinypic.com/4tfvbpt.jpg

Credict goes to Chris_G

Foot's Fingers
Oct 16th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Lawrenceville 50k

(7)Yuliana Fedak(UKR) vs. Q/LL
Q/LL vs. Raquel Kops-Jones(USA)
Romana Tedjakusuma(INA) vs. Christina Wheeler(USA)
Ekaterina Afinogenova(RUS) vs. (3)Alexzandra Wozniak(CAN)

draw :help:

Good Luck

Foot's Fingers
Feb 18th, 2008, 02:28 PM
$25.000 Clearwater, FL

Singles Qualifying Draw

Tanja Ostertag (GER) d. (3)Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS) 63 62

:fiery:

Foot's Fingers
Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
another loss being 7th seed to Liu in Las Vegas 1st rnd of QD

goldenlox
Mar 10th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Katya is in IW qualies vs Nakamura

Foot's Fingers
Mar 17th, 2008, 09:53 AM
finally match won by Katya at $25,000 Redding QD

Ekaterina AFINOGENOVA (RUS) (5) defeated Alexandria WALTERS (USA) 6-2 6-2

KV
Mar 17th, 2008, 03:39 PM
At long last Kayta won. Good scoreline anyway.

Foot's Fingers
Mar 18th, 2008, 07:53 AM
62 62 win adn she is in MD ;)

Foot's Fingers
Mar 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
MD:

Stephanie DUBOIS (CAN) (3) Vs Sophie FERGUSON (AUS)
Alexandra PANOVA (RUS) Vs Kumiko IIJIMA (JPN)
Ekaterina AFINOGENOVA (RUS) Vs Anne YELSEY (USA)
Jelena PANDZIC (CRO) Vs Shuai ZHANG (CHN) (6)

Good Luck!!!

Foot's Fingers
Mar 20th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Ekaterina AFINOGENOVA (RUS) defeated Anne YELSEY (USA) 6-1 6-3

She won on MD :woohoo:

KV
Mar 20th, 2008, 11:06 AM
That's much better, keep it up :)

Foot's Fingers
Mar 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
out of tournament :(

the cat
Mar 22nd, 2008, 03:16 AM
Katia. :hug: It's good that she made the main draw of the Redding challenger and then won her first round match. I hope she has a good year. :)

itzhak
Mar 25th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Katia is the new girlfriend of Gasquet??!!...

hellas719
Oct 30th, 2008, 09:54 PM
She is now ranked 539 in the world. That can't be good.

Foot's Fingers
May 8th, 2009, 08:12 AM
she is trying to come back with PR now

Ekaterina AFINOGENOVA (RUS) defeated Alina JIDKOVA (RUS) 0-6 7-5 6-4

but lost in second rnd

TheBoiledEgg
May 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Katya........ out injured for so long
now unranked :sad:

at least she got a PR

alias
Jul 29th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Married to Max Pacioretty
http://25stanley.com/photos-du-mariage-de-max-pacioretty-et-katia-afigenova.html