PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay's plan for the begining of 2008 : warm-up tournament + AO + maybe Fed Cup!

LindsayRulz
Oct 17th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Davenport Plans To Play Oz Open

10/16/2007

Bolstered by her title triumph in Bali, working mom Lindsay Davenport plans to pack both the racquet bag and diaper bag for the trip to Australia in January. The 2000 Australian Open champ is poised to play the Melbourne major in 2008.

The 31-year-old Davenport, who gave birth to son Jagger by Caesarian section on June 10, plans to play a tune-up tournament Down Under in early January to prepare for her 14th Australian Open appearance.

"Right now the plan is to leave for Australia after the first of the year, play a warm-up tournament prior to the Australian Open, then play the Australian Open and then possibly play Fed Cup," Davenport told Radio Tennis.com's Ken Thomas over the weekend.

Playing her first singles match in a year, the former World No. 1 reeled off 20 straight points in the opening set to spark an overwhelming 6-2, 6-2 victory over Eleni Daniilidou at the Tier III Commonwealth Bank Tennis Classic in Bali last month. It was Davenport's first Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles match since she suffered a 6-4, 6-3 setback to then World No. 1 Amélie Mauresmo in Beijing in September, 2006. Davenport proceeded to post a 6-4, 2-6, 6-2 victory over World No. 3 Jelena Jankovic in the quarterfinal before capturing her 52nd career singles championship with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 win over then 12th-ranked Daniela Hantuchova in the Bali final.

Davenport looked fit and fresh in Bali, but told Thomas she was not onlyi surprised she won the title, she almost didn't get on the plane to take the trip.

The three-time Grand Slam champion followed her triumphant tournament return scoring a straight sets win over Elena Dementieva before bowing to Jankovic in straight sets at the Tier II Beijing tournament.

Speaking like a woman who plans to play more events in 2008, Davenport said in Bali she believes her play will improve as she sharpens her movement around the court.

"I'm still a little ways [away]. It's only been three months and I still have a bit of weight to lose, I still need to work on my movement around the court," Davenport said. "I haven't had that much time to focus on that aspect of it. At the beginning I was really working on my timing. But I think in four to six months that'll come back hopefully."

Davenport, who captured the gold medal in the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta and commemorated the occasion with a tattoo of the Olympic rings, suggested playing the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing is a long-term goal.

"The thing that really intrigues me about playing is the Olympics next year, trying to go back maybe obviously as a mother and see how that pans out," said Davenport, who won the 1998 U.S. Open title,1999 Wimbledon and 2000 Australian Open. She owns a 55-12 record at the Australian Open where she was runner-up to Serena Williams in 2005.

hurricanejeanne
Oct 17th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I'm so incredibly excited for 2008. I'm still sort of in shock that Lindsay's back and she's actually playing well. I'm hoping the Australian Warm-Up tournament is an actual tournament and not an exhibition. I'm just so excited to see her play in Melbourne again! :bounce:

Elldee
Oct 17th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I think she'll play an actual tournament over Hong Kong and it'll probably be sydney although if she's flying out in early january I think she'd be better off playing Gold Coast, doing well there rather than in a strong sydney draw, and being fresh for the big one.

The Daviator
Oct 17th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I'd love her to play Hopman Cup, I know it's got no ranking points, but it's a lighthearted affair ;)

I can't wait for Quebec :lol:

Lindsayfan32
Oct 17th, 2007, 11:02 PM
If Lindsay wins Quebec city and gets her ranking back inside the top 100 I would like to see her play the Hopman cup. If she not inside the top 100 by the start of the year I would like to see her play the Gold coast event as I can't see her playing the week before the OZ open.

You would think with Quebec being the week before the YEC that it going to be a very weak field and Lindsay's chances of winning it are pretty good but I say that without knowing who's playing it.

hurricanejeanne
Oct 17th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I'd love her to play Hopman Cup, I know it's got no ranking points, but it's a lighthearted affair ;)

I can't wait for Quebec :lol:

I wouldn't mind her playing Hopman Cup but that's mainly because I have the Tennis Channel and get fantastic coverage of it. :angel: I'm thinking she'll end up in Gold Coast, which is a great idea. It's usually a relatively solid tier 3 and she needs the ranking points.

Would Lindsay play a tier 4?

LindsayRulz
Oct 17th, 2007, 11:25 PM
If Lindsay wins Quebec city and gets her ranking back inside the top 100 I would like to see her play the Hopman cup. If she not inside the top 100 by the start of the year I would like to see her play the Gold coast event as I can't see her playing the week before the OZ open.

You would think with Quebec being the week before the YEC that it going to be a very weak field and Lindsay's chances of winning it are pretty good but I say that without knowing who's playing it.

The field isn't bad. Chakvetadze, Vaidisova, Golovin and Zvonareva are in. And it wouldn't be a big surprise if Chakvetadze withdraws. Normally Lindsay should be able to beat all these girls though. Here is the complete list :

http://www.challengebell.com/challengebell/?module=players&id=7

They put Lindsay's name on the top :lol:

MH0861
Oct 18th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Lindsay needs to move on from these damn Tier IIIs and ring the alarm at Sydney :D

Lindsayfan32
Oct 18th, 2007, 05:16 AM
The field isn't bad. Chakvetadze, Vaidisova, Golovin and Zvonareva are in. And it wouldn't be a big surprise if Chakvetadze withdraws. Normally Lindsay should be able to beat all these girls though. Here is the complete list :

Thanks for the tournament site link. Most of it French.The player list was English and that's all I'm interested in at the moment. I still think Lindsay has a pretty good chance of winning this event. Even if she doesn't does anyone know what round finish will get Lindsay inside the top 100?

sweet_angel23
Oct 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM
wwwooohhooo!!!
AO 2008...i am so going next year!! =]

Oct 18th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I hope Lindsay can finish top 100!! Has she ever not finished the year out of the top 100 in her professional career?

dybbuk
Oct 18th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I like it. :drool:

The warmup will more than likely be Gold Coast. 2 straight weeks of tennis for the Slams are the most I can see Lindsay playing in a row next year.

The Daviator
Oct 18th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I like it. :drool:

The warmup will more than likely be Gold Coast. 2 straight weeks of tennis for the Slams are the most I can see Lindsay playing in a row next year.

She'll be playing 6 weeks in a row in the spring: Indian Wells-Miami-Amelia Island-Charleston ;) :angel: I wish :p

LindsayRulz
Oct 18th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the tournament site link. Most of it French.The player list was English and that's all I'm interested in at the moment. I still think Lindsay has a pretty good chance of winning this event. Even if she doesn't does anyone know what round finish will get Lindsay inside the top 100?

Right now Lindsay has 290 points and is ranked #123.

If she loses in the first round, she'll be stay at #123 with 291 points.
If she loses in the second round, she'll be ranked #112 with 310 points.
If she loses in QF, she'll be ranked #104 with 325 points.
If she loses in SF, she'll be ranked #98 with 355 points.
If she loses in Final, she'll be ranked #85 with 390 points.
And If she wins the tournament, she'll be ranked #74 with 430 points.

Lindsayfan32
Oct 18th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Right now Lindsay has 290 points and is ranked #123.

If she loses in the first round, she'll be stay at #123 with 291 points.
If she loses in the second round, she'll be ranked #112 with 310 points.
If she loses in QF, she'll be ranked #104 with 325 points.
If she loses in SF, she'll be ranked #98 with 355 points.
If she loses in Final, she'll be ranked #85 with 390 points.
And If she wins the tournament, she'll be ranked #74 with 430 points.

Thanks for that LindsayRulz I don't have a maths brain and I still can't follow the rankings system. It seems a semi final finish would be ideal at worst. I don't care where she finishes the year it's great to have her back great I just don't want Lindsay to have to rely on getting a wild card for the oz open next year.

hurricanejeanne
Oct 19th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Thanks for that LindsayRulz I don't have a maths brain and I still can't follow the rankings system. It seems a semi final finish would be ideal at worst. I don't care where she finishes the year it's great to have her back great I just don't want Lindsay to have to rely on getting a wild card for the oz open next year.

Lindsay won't need a wild card because she has a special ranking of #12 which will get her into the maindraw. But if she would need a wild card there's no doubt that she would get it being a former world number one and champion there. ;)

Nikki
Oct 19th, 2007, 01:05 PM
It sounds like a good plan to me. Its going to be great seeing competing in the GS again.

Oct 19th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Come on Lindsay and win Quebec

MH0861
Oct 21st, 2007, 03:58 AM
She needs to play Fed Cup to qualify for the Olympic Team, right?

Lindsayfan32
Oct 21st, 2007, 12:59 PM
Yep but she has two opportunities one in February and another in April I read somewhere.

joaco
Oct 21st, 2007, 02:29 PM

That's so funny they put Lindsay on the top :lol: :lol: :lol:

She's the big shot in the tournament and they know it

Oct 21st, 2007, 03:15 PM
Is there any other Australian tournament she can play besides Gold Coast in the first week to gain points

LindsayRulz
Oct 21st, 2007, 03:36 PM
Yep but she has two opportunities one in February and another in April I read somewhere.

Does she really need to play Fed Cup to qualify? She has already represented USA several times in Fed Cup and at the Olympics.

The Daviator
Oct 21st, 2007, 04:01 PM
Does she really need to play Fed Cup to qualify? She has already represented USA several times in Fed Cup and at the Olympics.

I think the rule is that you have to represent your country in the 4 years preceeding the Olympics, and Lindsay played FC in 2005, but maybe you have to do it more than once :scratch:

Lindsayfan32
Oct 21st, 2007, 10:54 PM
I think the rule is that you have to represent your country in the 4 years preceeding the Olympics, and Lindsay played FC in 2005, but maybe you have to do it more than once :scratch:

I forgot about that. Maybe she doesn't have to but wants to. I thought it was you only have to make yourself avaiable to play once but I'm not totally sure on that. Maybe Lindsay forgotten about 05 too.

Lindsayfan32
Oct 21st, 2007, 11:04 PM
Is there any other Australian tournament she can play besides Gold Coast in the first week to gain points

Hobart played the same week or she can play in Auckland New Zealand. But if she's already inside the top 100 I still want to see Lindsay play Hopman cup.

Ikari
Oct 22nd, 2007, 06:08 AM
That's so funny they put Lindsay on the top :lol: :lol: :lol:

She's the big shot in the tournament and they know it

Curiously, her WTA rank is 0! There is an offical tournament website in English, but its not updated other than with the list of players:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=fr_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.challengebell.com%2fchallen gebell%2f%3fmodule%3dplayers%26id%3d7#

justineheninfan
Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:26 AM
If Lindsay plays a warm up tournament for Australia she will also have an "official" WTA ranking, not just her protected ranking. 3 tournaments gets your a ranking AFAIK.

Actually sorry if she plays Quebec City she will already have that. Will be interesting to see what that is.

justineheninfan
Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:30 AM

Vaidisova and Golovin are both playing better then "usual" for them probably right now though. Golovin has been in the finals of both Stuttgart and Moscow, and gave Justine fairly good matches both times. Vaidisova made the Moscow semis, thrashing Jankovic along the way, and then nearly beating Justine losing 7-5 in the 3rd. I think on their current form it will be hard for Lindsay to beat either of them so soon in her comeback but we will see.

Chakvetadze has not played as well lately as she did to get ranked #7 in the World like she is now. Even if she does play she will be easier to beat then Vaidisova or Golovin right now. Plus her shots are nice and clean but lack a bit in punch, perfect for Lindsay.

justineheninfan
Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Lindsay won't need a wild card because she has a special ranking of #12 which will get her into the maindraw. But if she would need a wild card there's no doubt that she would get it being a former world number one and champion there. ;)

So does that mean she would be seeded #12 for Australian Open? Will be interesting to see the draw she gets. That would mean she would draw 1 of Justine, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Venus, Serena, Chakvetadze, or Sharapova in her 8th of the draw, and if she reaches the round of 16 would have to play 1 assuming that player also reaches.

Lindsayfan32
Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:42 AM
So does that mean she would be seeded #12 for Australian Open? Will be interesting to see the draw she gets. That would mean she would draw 1 of Justine, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Venus, Serena, Chakvetadze, or Sharapova in her 8th of the draw, and if she reaches the round of 16 would have to play 1 assuming that player also reaches.

Lindsay will be unseeded. What the special ranking does it gets her wild cards into tour events and gets Lindsay into slams unseeded. I'm not sure if she will need a wild card or not to get into the oz open. The draw gods will more than likely place Lindsay and Justine in the same quarter it happens every time they are in the same draw.

mike/topgun
Oct 22nd, 2007, 09:00 AM
When I read the article my first impressioon was that Lindsay will play in Sydney, cause it's always been her pre Oz warmup event. She'd get a WC anyways:p

LindsayRulz
Oct 22nd, 2007, 04:39 PM
If Lindsay plays a warm up tournament for Australia she will also have an "official" WTA ranking, not just her protected ranking. 3 tournaments gets your a ranking AFAIK.

Actually sorry if she plays Quebec City she will already have that. Will be interesting to see what that is.

Lindsay has already an official ranking. She has AO, Miami, RG, Wimbly, US Open, Bali and the China Open in her ranking points = 7 tournaments :)

Elldee
Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:20 AM
Lindsay will be unseeded. What the special ranking does it gets her wild cards into tour events and gets Lindsay into slams unseeded. I'm not sure if she will need a wild card or not to get into the oz open. The draw gods will more than likely place Lindsay and Justine in the same quarter it happens every time they are in the same draw.

Lindsay can get into all tournaments through her special ranking without a wildcard... outside of the seedings, to all extents and purposes, she's 12 in the world and can therefore enter any tournament that she wants to.

Nov 4th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Does anyone have a post Oz schedule? I would love to see her seeded for Indian Wells!!

MH0861
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:44 AM
LOL someone edited her WTAtour.com blog... no mention of Auckland anymore :lol:

This is my last entry... you guys are probably sick of hearing from me!

I leave Québec winning the tournament. It was a little bittersweet as poor Julia hurt her ankle badly yesterday in her semifinal, and it was obviously bothering her. I saw her in the training room before and it was so swollen and purple. I was surprised she even took the court. Nevertheless I am thrilled to be leaving the winner. I look forward to spending time again at home with the whole family. Actually, we are off to Hawaii for Thanksgiving; we're taking Jagger to the site where we got married, so that will be really cool. It will be so nice to spend time together where neither Jon nor I are working. Then it's time to get ready to go down under to start the season... I look forward to being in touch again in 2008!

Take care and thanks for reading!

Lindsay

Nov 10th, 2007, 10:36 AM
So she had mentioned Auckland before it was changed?

hurricanejeanne
Nov 10th, 2007, 03:08 PM
So she had mentioned Auckland before it was changed?

Yeah, she said that she'd start the year in Auckland before heading to Melbourne.

The entry lists for the Australian Warm-up tournaments should be coming out any week now so we'll know for sure then. ;)

The Daviator
Nov 10th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I think it was just changed because they didn't want to release that tournament's list yet, but I'm sure she'll be in Auckland :)

Nov 12th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Do you know of any other top player that has mentioned a participation in Auckland?

Lindsayfan32
Nov 12th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I personally prefer Lindsay played in Australia rather than New Zealand. I could see her play in the final if she makes. I also want to see Lindsay play thr higher level tournaments as she ready for it now.

Nov 18th, 2007, 02:31 PM
She may be ready for it but she needs to add points to her ranking