PDA

View Full Version : Consistency!

Olórin
Oct 14th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Why hasn't Serena had any since 2003?

Is it from lack of playing? Is it somehow related to her knee surgery and other injuries? Is it because she isn't 100% dedicated to tennis? Is she more dedicated to tennis now than earlier this year, if so can we expect some consistency?

These are questions I would very much like answered.

What I don't get is though, how far her game has slid in the past few months, she seems to be picking it up for the odd match, but she is so up and down it's crazy. For most of the AO and Miami, Serena played at a consistently high level. The first time she had so since 2003. We've seen the odd match of brilliance since then: 2004 Miami Final, 2004 Wimbledon QF, 2005 AO SF, 2006 US Open 3r. But I thought from say 4r AO and during all of Miami; I can see the old Serena there, her fire is back, she looked like a world number one, she looked like the best, which she is. There was something simply "right" about her game and attitude. I thought: if she loses a few pounds and works on some kinks in her game, most obviously her movement, how can she not be world number one by the end of the year?

I truly don't get what has happened since then. I must admit I was beginning to think perhaps due to injuries, different frame of mind, different perspectives, that Serena would be unable to play consistently at or near her best again. However the first 3 months of this year TOTALLY convinced me that it was well within Serena's capabilities of playing like that 60-70% of the time. And the rest of the time winning anyway, which is what champions do. The problem is right now Serena is so far from her best (I'd say 40% if I were to quantify it), that she's finding it hard to win these matches against top ten players, and is often losing.

Serena isn't Mary Pierce, she isn't Elena Dementieva, she is capable of playing her best tennis more than once or twice a year.

:help:

Siyasema
Oct 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM
One of the most frustrating aspects is we have seen Serena is capable because of her abilities to win at the higest levels. Why she has her valleys and peaks is something we do not have the definitive answer to. It could possibly be a combination of all that you've mentioned. It is frustrating because it lends us all to a wait and see stance.

doni1212
Oct 14th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Why hasn't Serena had any since 2003?

Is it from lack of playing? Is it somehow related to her knee surgery and other injuries? Is it because she isn't 100% dedicated to tennis? Is she more dedicated to tennis now than earlier this year, if so can we expect some consistency?

These are questions I would very much like answered.

What I don't get is though, how far her game has slid in the past few months, she seems to be picking it up for the odd match, but she is so up and down it's crazy. For most of the AO and Miami, Serena played at a consistently high level. The first time she had so since 2003. We've seen the odd match of brilliance since then: 2004 Miami Final, 2004 Wimbledon QF, 2005 AO SF, 2006 US Open 3r. But I thought from say 4r AO and during all of Miami; I can see the old Serena there, her fire is back, she looked like a world number one, she looked like the best, which she is. There was something simply "right" about her game and attitude. I thought: if she loses a few pounds and works on some kinks in her game, most obviously her movement, how can she not be world number one by the end of the year?

I truly don't get what has happened since then. I must admit I was beginning to think perhaps due to injuries, different frame of mind, different perspectives, that Serena would be unable to play consistently at or near her best again. However the first 3 months of this year TOTALLY convinced me that it was well within Serena's capabilities of playing like that 60-70% of the time. And the rest of the time winning anyway, which is what champions do. The problem is right now Serena is so far from her best (I'd say 40% if I were to quantify it), that she's finding it hard to win these matches against top ten players, and is often losing.

Serena isn't Mary Pierce, she isn't Elena Dementieva, she is capable of playing her best tennis more than once or twice a year.

:help:

Yeah, I don't know. The things that worry me the most are Serena's facial features, and her inability to shrug her bad play off. Compare Serena's facial expressions to Australia when she was down, and (I would say it started at the U.S. Open) now. I don't know if it's a lack of confidence, or if she just doesn't know whats wrong with her game or what. It just scares me. And then she'll play bad and not be able to come back from that. Unlike against Petrova or Justine this year or Kim or Sharapova in previous years past. I just don't know how this can happen. She still had the fighting spirit at Wimbledon, but the next time we saw her at the U.S. Open, it wasn't there or it seemed forced. She needs to focus and really dedicate herself to becoming the best again. If I were her, I would watch the AO tapes and just get her confidence back, and know that she can do all that over again and with consistency.

2moretogo
Oct 14th, 2007, 04:42 PM
One of the most frustrating aspects is we have seen Serena is capable because of her abilities to win at the higest levels. Why she has her valleys and peaks is something we do not have the definitive answer to. It could possibly be a combination of all that you've mentioned. It is frustrating because it lends us all to a wait and see stance.

I agree that it is a combo of a lot of things. Especially the day in day out grind of the tour has A LOT to do with it. Speficially, the smaller draw where you know you have 5 or 6 matches over a week, just to do the same thing in a different city the week after. It takes some adjusting to get used to. Serena will be fine. Trust.

Olórin
Oct 14th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I don't know. The things that worry me the most are Serena's facial features, and her inability to shrug her bad play off. Compare Serena's facial expressions to Australia when she was down, and (I would say it started at the U.S. Open) now. I don't know if it's a lack of confidence, or if she just doesn't know whats wrong with her game or what. It just scares me. And then she'll play bad and not be able to come back from that. Unlike against Petrova or Justine this year or Kim or Sharapova in previous years past. I just don't know how this can happen. She still had the fighting spirit at Wimbledon, but the next time we saw her at the U.S. Open, it wasn't there or it seemed forced. She needs to focus and really dedicate herself to becoming the best again. If I were her, I would watch the AO tapes and just get her confidence back, and know that she can do all that over again and with consistency.

Yes I was just talking about that on another thread. Her attitude is odd. I think part of it today was frustration, as she had altered her gameplan and was really going for her shots, but she was missing a lot. That has to make someone down. I think she will improve though, and more of her shots will start going in. Hopefully the results will then come. I prefer Serena whacking the ball to just pushing it in. Do or die.

williamsluva
Oct 24th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Hate to put Marias name out there, but its been the same thing with her, she used to be able to fight remember, I watched the USO 05 when she lost to kim and she was still goin for her shots and everything down match point, then serena went and completley stunned her at the Aussie then Miami, and then Venus went and stunned her again at Wimbledon. Also Ivanovic showed her that her movement isnt worthy of the top 5 at the FO, and she too seems lost out there.

Its a confidence issue, and the fact that Serena has had equally bad (for her standards) losses this year to Henin and now Kuz and Ele. She now seems to doubt her own abilities out there.

And I dont know if the "drop a few pounds" thing is even a worthwhile argument, because she was looking worse at the aussie than she did the last few months yet she moved alot better. Its not so much what she looks like or how much she ways, its her neuro-muscular efficiency, and Sorry to say but I dont believe that her own Trainer can do it, i have no confidence in that trainer, the only reason serena did so well in australia was cos she wanted to, she went out and gave 110% and made herself stronger faster better, from what ive seen of her trainer's techniques, they are basic at best, Justine has the best team in the world behind her and is at her absolute physical peak. Serena is at 60% (I kid you not) maybe 70% AT BEST and this is going all the way back to the french too, I never thought much of her movement there, it was good in regards to alot of the other women, but not for serenas standards (None of us honestly believe shes nearly as fast as venus anymore do we? And she used to be 1/2 a step faster than her sis).

The only way she can improve her movement which is the Standout problem (I know shes been injured too, but a very good personal trainer would have taken care of that too you know, Federer never gets injured and he weighs 80 KG, Rafa has probs with his joints on Hard Courts but on the clay he didnt get injured, and even on the grass he only got injured due to fatigue, plus he does alot more running explosive running than her and weighs 85 KG), sO YEH if she is gonna stick with the same training group for her fitness, the ONLY WAY for her to get back to what she was, is to Chase down everything, even a ball she knows shes not gonna get, run like its match point, you watch her matches against Vakulenko, Kuz (the loss) and Even Demen (although she may have been injured there), or even the USO against justine, there were many many times when she just Gave up on a ball that she knew she couldnt get too, whereas BEFORE she used to believe that she could get to any ball, and she was ALWAYS ALMOST THERE (she got alot more shots back but she also hardly got beaten by a clean winner by a wide margin).

The reason I say that the weight Debate is pointless is because she is also Deceptively big, they made fun of her booty and her boobs even in 02, the catsuit? Serena was probably the best female athlete in the world at that time and she appeared overweight, but she was bulging with lower body muscle, alot of that muscle is still there but alot of it has become unefficient and "relaxed" and even when she has a little bit of "fat" she looks like shes well overweight. She can go ahead and drop 10 pounds and look like she did at the 04 USO, but its the manner in which she loses that weight, is it through lots of jogging and cardio? Or will the weightloss merely be a by product of her training?

I say, She could stand to gain 2 steps, as in become 2 steps faster than what she is, work on her speed, think "I dont need to lose weight, I need to become faster and stronger", then the body will catch on.