PDA

View Full Version : Who will qualify for Madrid?: Update

SerenaSlams
Oct 12th, 2007, 09:46 PM
www.tennis.com
October 12, 2007

A fifth slot in the WTA Tour's year-ending Sony Ericsson Championships was sewn up this week – after reaching the semifinals of the Tier I event in Moscow, Serena Williams essentially guaranteed herself a spot amongst the top 8 finishers in the race to the championships. That leaves three of the eight berths still in play, though Venus Williams' performance in Bangkok this week makes it extremely likely that she'll soon qualify as well. The same goes for Anna Chakvetadze, who lost early this week but retains enough of a lead to still be in a very good position.

Maria Sharapova's first-round loss in Moscow raises some questions about her ability to hold on in the top 8 and perhaps even about whether she'll be able to compete in the championships if she qualifies. She'll be the player to watch next week in Zurich. A good result could clinch her a spot but if she loses early, Daniela Hantuchova will still have a chance to squeeze her out by reaching a couple of finals.

Here's the outlook ahead of the Tier I event in Zurich next week:

UNOFFICIALLY QUALIFIED
Serena

OUT OF CONTENTION AFTER MOSCOW*
Vaidisova, Mauresmo, Schnyder, Peer

CAN CLINCH A SPOT IN ZURICH**
Venus, Chakvetadze, Sharapova – if they can outlast Hantuchova

CAN BE ELIMINATED FROM CONTENTION IN ZURICH
Hantuchova, Bartoli, Dementieva

Simply Stunning, Simply Serena
:worship: 57 Consecutive Weeks as World #1 :worship:
:worship: Olympic Gold Medalist ('00 Doubles w/ Venus) :worship:

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 12th, 2007, 09:53 PM
This is the first time in a long time that I'm really excited about the Championships. So glad it's the Round-robin format. I can't wait to see all the big names go at it one last time. Serena usually does well at the Championships and a win there would be a great way for her good season to become a great season.

urock34
Oct 13th, 2007, 01:26 AM
now im worried that there will be one half with serena venus justine and kuzzy
and of course
the other mariaanna jelena and ana :/

2moretogo
Oct 13th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Well you know what? Don't underestimate Serena... She owes both Kuzzy and especially Justine. And if you think about it this way, it will make the YEC finals (edit)that much easier....:devil:

But of course, I am not going to say anything until Serena and (Venus) officially qualify.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 13th, 2007, 02:49 AM
i want them both to qualify so i can have fun following the championships since 04....actually this has been the best season since 04

williamsluva
Oct 14th, 2007, 04:37 AM
I think Serena and venus both ahve a good chance if this is a fast surface. But I do Wonder if this may be the tournament when one of the others has a break through. I really wonder if Maybe Sharapova might pull it all together and come out the unexpected winner, she is a fighter and she does have it in her. Hope im wrong and serena is the one who shows the top 8 that shes the best.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 14th, 2007, 09:02 PM
serena has officially qualified :D